Does The Bible Really Says These Things?

• 144 results
jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By jinxuandi

@Crom-Cruach said:

As well much of what we know of ancient cultures is based on writting of times after said civilization or from outsiders (romans in the case of Palestine). This in addition to the fact that none of the versions we have of the bible are current. The oldest complete bible we have (holding the new testament bible and the old testament) in existence that has been been dated to the 4th century, the Codex Sinaiticus. By then it had already passed through multiple hands, reeditions and translations (which were often full of errors).

Saying we have little information on the intent of the individual who wrote/translated/altered a portion of a religious text is a euphemism.

We have evidence of ancient cultures we can interpret and say "this is what we think they believed based on XYZ evidence". But trying to debate what is the true meaning of a religious text is stepping into a quagmire.

Th fact that the "Bible" as we know it today is a product of the 4th century Roman empire is pretty well known among most people who study the Bible seriously (both secular and religious). It wasn't until Constantine legalized Christianity that the compilation of a Bible into a single codex even became possible. Codices were quite expensive (very large ones containing thousands of pages even moreso), so imperial funding was needed to before compiling the books into one.

"Saying we have little information on the intent of the individual who wrote/translated/altered a portion of a religious text" may indeed be a euphemism, but if you've read manuscripts of religious texts in the original language you would know that it isn't entirely true. Even if we can't pin their reasons down with 100% certainty, the intentions lying behind changes made by a Greek speaker in 3rd-century Asia Minor are likely quite different from those of an 8th-century Latin speaker in northern England. The latter venerated the biblical text almost as much as moderns do, while it was likely much more fluid to the former.

"trying to debate what is the true meaning of a religious text is stepping into a quagmire:" Depends on what sense. With religious texts you deal with problems you don't have in other genres. Personally, I treat them the same way as any other document. When the Gospels say the Pontius Pilate was prefect of Judea (and nothing contradicts them), I take it to mean Pilate was prefect of Judea. When the Torah enjoins restrictions on the practice of slavery, I assume there are socio-economic motives driving this. Whatever "higher meaning" someone wants to take out of such texts I leave to the theologians.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By ssejllenrad

@King Saturn said:

1. True... Fornication is considered Sex outside of Marriage and it is considered a Sin.
2. False... I don't ever recall seeing this in the Bible.
3. True... Leviticus says that Homosexuality is an Abomination and that those who do it must be put to death.
5. True... if ye have broken one commandment it is like you have broken them all... Jesus said that in Matthew 5:19 IIRC
6. False... Mary had James who was Jesus Brother and someone else who flees my memory.
7. N/A... I don't recall her being straight out being called a prostitute... but the Bible says seven demons came out of her so she had some issues.
8. False... that's not in the Bible... it's a story that came from other historical tales.
9. True... read 1 Corinthians 11:3
10. False... the Bible says that those who believe in Christ will go to Heaven and those who do not will partake in the Fire of Hell or The Grave or Eternal Darkness however you perceive Hell... now people assume that everyone who believes in Jesus are Good... but their are some Christians who are mean too.

hmmm... I think I missed a question but oh well.

I would have mistaken you for a pastor with all these knowledge of yours if I didn't know you were a deist.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By BatWatch

@pooty said:

@Raiiyn: I have read the story of samson many many times and have NEVER.......EVER......thought of him as committing suicide. But that SOB did commit suicide. Thank You

@PsychoKnights: thanks for responding and please finish your list when you can. Are you SURE all sins are forgivable? I thought one was unforgivable?

Thanks you for acknowledging me response. I was beginning to think nobody had read it.

Okay, you are right, in a sense, of their being an unforgivable sin, but I was going to wait until someone brought it up because I was pressed for time.

Jesus clearly stated what the "unforgivable sin" was (Mark 3:28-29), but there is a lot of debate as to what he meant by his statement. He said, "He that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost hate never forgiveness." What did Jesus mean by that considering that every other place in the Bible, God says he will forgive people of their sins? He never makes an exception any other place. In 1 John 2:2, the Bible says he paid for the sins of the whole world. The Baptist understanding of the verse, which makes sense to me as much as anything, is that Jesus was talking about denying the Holy Spirit's call to repentance and salvation when he spoke of "blaspheming the Holy Ghost." We know that the Holy Spirit's job is to convict people of wrongdoing and bring them to God, (John 16:7-10) so in essence by denying the Holy Spirit's calling to salvation, you are blaspheming him. In other words, the only unforgivable sin is not to get saved in the first place. I admit, this point is debatable. Still, there is no reference anywhere to suicide being unforgivable.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@NerdsFTW:

Why diss Rush? Has he ever flat out SAID anything that's racist? Or do you just watch Jon Stewart, Steve Colbert, Bill Mayer and Michael Moore like all the good liberals do nowadays?

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By jobiwankenobi

@pooty: Different books of the Bible were written in different languages: Hebrew, Greek, Persian, Latin, etc. Adultery is simply considered having relations with someone you are not married to. Fornication is a legal term used today. Also, it says somewhere in the Bible, "Any man who looks at a woman with lust in his eyes has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Jesus said something to that effect.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By jobiwankenobi

@PsychoKnights said:

@pooty said:

@Raiiyn: I have read the story of samson many many times and have NEVER.......EVER......thought of him as committing suicide. But that SOB did commit suicide. Thank You

@PsychoKnights: thanks for responding and please finish your list when you can. Are you SURE all sins are forgivable? I thought one was unforgivable?

Thanks you for acknowledging me response. I was beginning to think nobody had read it.

Okay, you are right, in a sense, of their being an unforgivable sin, but I was going to wait until someone brought it up because I was pressed for time.

Jesus clearly stated what the "unforgivable sin" was (Mark 3:28-29), but there is a lot of debate as to what he meant by his statement. He said, "He that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost hate never forgiveness." What did Jesus mean by that considering that every other place in the Bible, God says he will forgive people of their sins? He never makes an exception any other place. In 1 John 2:2, the Bible says he paid for the sins of the whole world. The Baptist understanding of the verse, which makes sense to me as much as anything, is that Jesus was talking about denying the Holy Spirit's call to repentance and salvation when he spoke of "blaspheming the Holy Ghost." We know that the Holy Spirit's job is to convict people of wrongdoing and bring them to God, (John 16:7-10) so in essence by denying the Holy Spirit's calling to salvation, you are blaspheming him. In other words, the only unforgivable sin is not to get saved in the first place. I admit, this point is debatable. Still, there is no reference anywhere to suicide being unforgivable.

What I have come to understand is that anyone can be saved by repenting of their sins. The Holy Spirit comes to help us do this. So the only unforgivable sins is to not repent of your sins. In essence, refusing to do good, seek forgiveness, show your love for God, etc. Suicide was never said to be unforgivable, and the Catholic Church has actually recently changed its view on it. The thing was that suicide was a sin, and that once you committed it, you were dead and could no longer repent. Now it's viewed that if you were pushed to it, or had some sort of mental or emotional problem that God would understand and forgive you seeing as you probably suffered plenty from these issues.

theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By theicon
@pooty: 1) true, people having sex before marriage leads to disease , abortion  which leads to death. God dislikes  Death and dosent want mankind to suffer, its  those who choose to do their own thing  that suffer. then blame God, who they wont acknowledge till they Eff up..
2 ) possibly: Samson in old testament killed him self, how ever it was for the Glory of God
3 ) True, God only approves his holy matrimony , mankind approves of any non Godly  choices 
Jesus spoke of the deserved Judgement of Sodom and Gamorra, which was  prevalent  in Homosexuality , But good news  God forgives all of it, if one choicively Ask's!
4) False, that was  old testament  teaching for the people of Israel, other nations  worshiped  false gods,and did wicked things, cannibalism, sacrificing people, kids, brutal killings  murder  horrible stuff.  God said  at the time not to mix , or Isarel would follow after those godless nations ,and they did! ( we are doing the same today) its wasnt  because of  color, it was  what those  races  did  at  the  time.
5 ) yes, but  each have  different consequences and punishments, like our own,  stealing,  running a red light is  breaking the Law (equal) but the punishment is  different, and  some greater (murder)
6 )No, Jesus had a brother  James, so she got it on with her  hubby  Joseph after  Christ was born
7 )could have been, wasn't specific on her, as it was with others. Judge not. 

8)    Super false , God gave Adam Eve, not Lith  or  lilith   that was  most likely a fallen angel  sent to entice Adam and he most likely had many encounters with this  Dark angel, like the devil enticed  Eve.  but  adam didnt  fall for  it. and  Satan,  master of  lies, uses that  Encounter  to  push that  she  was  his  wife to spread disbelief  and  cause  question, doubt, and  confusion and the bible says  God  is  not the  author of  confusion.  

9) yes and no, God is  ultimately the Head of Marriage,but he did command  Man to head over it,but not in a molevalent way: he says  Husbands love your wife as Christ  loves  the church, Jesus died for the church,and will give and do anything for the church   That's  a good  thing  because  we men are Suppost to be humble and greatly  giving to  a wife. Not  a Slave master as  the World  portays 

10)  FALSE, Jesus said no man come unto the father except by me... Jesus Christ is the son of God,  God in human form who died for the sins of man, no other has  done  such.  and God  dosen't accept any other  offering. All men  born, or  yet to be  born have a stained spirit and  body  due to the Sins of  Adam and  Eve, now  because of it, Humanity  will suffer the punishment of the devil. How ever God in mercy and love  made a way  to escape the pits of  hell  made for the devil and his Fallen, hell is not meant for man  as  God  says, and  God is not willing  that any man would parish but all  come to repentance.it  dosen't mean your  perfect and  u live perfectly. It means  you acknowledge that  God sent Jesus Christ to save you, and that  u believe he  died for your sins, but doin so, that original curse is  lifted, your soul pure (in christ  not of your  own doing) and you are saved. and  God grants you everlasting life with him, not  hell and darkness, but you must choose to believe. If not , you soul and body is still tanted with the original Sin. and God punishes that rebellion. which has  caused  Death, suffering, killings,  murder, sickness,  disease, plagues,Deaths  of  good  men and  women, evil spreading, abominations. filth, molestation, rape, destruction, hate, envy,lies, deception, cults  false Religion ( we are required to have  Faith and  a relationship not religion) . All that God  isn't ,and  he  will wipe it away. he sent Christ  to  protect us, and prevent us  from that fate. all it takes  to prevent that Hell is to say God  forgive me.  i believe you..  its  really  simple
BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By BatWatch

@jobiwankenobi said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@pooty said:

What I have come to understand is that anyone can be saved by repenting of their sins. The Holy Spirit comes to help us do this. So the only unforgivable sins is to not repent of your sins. In essence, refusing to do good, seek forgiveness, show your love for God, etc. Suicide was never said to be unforgivable, and the Catholic Church has actually recently changed its view on it. The thing was that suicide was a sin, and that once you committed it, you were dead and could no longer repent. Now it's viewed that if you were pushed to it, or had some sort of mental or emotional problem that God would understand and forgive you seeing as you probably suffered plenty from these issues.

Your view on the unforgivable sin is the same as mine. You might have explained my point better than me.

I never knew the reasoning behind the Catholic view. Interesting.

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By NerdsFTW

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

@NerdsFTW:

Why diss Rush? Has he ever flat out SAID anything that's racist? Or do you just watch Jon Stewart, Steve Colbert, Bill Mayer and Michael Moore like all the good liberals do nowadays?

Yes.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@pooty said:

So are you saying the Bible shouldn't be discussed or we shouldn't try to find out it's origins? You made an interesting comment and would like you to expound on it.

neither I'm saying intent, result, context and evidence are completely different. And we are arguing about something supposedly inspired by a supernatural force we have absolutely no evidence to believe the existence of let alone verify the veracity of our understanding of their comments.

Essentially, the bible is many hands removed from it's sources/inspiration. That taken into account along with. As such, we have nothing to prove the intent of the writers/creator themselves because they have left no evidence or traces of their own intent. For all we know their revelations and contents may have been grossly misinterpreted or altered by the parties who later wrote them down. That's something human hands have done countless times in history. The only thing we can gather from historical/archeological/anthropological evidence is the general effect the general accepted interpretation at a given time of a text had on an individual society and the reaction it caused in those who came into contact with those societies.

But that's a completely different thing from actually understanding the intent of authors who did not personally leave any writing we can verify of their own thoughts. Now take into account that we are talking about supposed revelations from forces completely beyond human perception. Then it becomes nearly impossible to have any accuracies to what Yeshuah supposedly said or meant when he allegedly said XYZ.

We certainly have plenty of evidence to draw a picture of the society of a religious text at a given time and based on testimonies what people allegedly understood of said text. But that's not the same thing as saying "Jesus/Muhammad/Buddha/Zoroaster" meant XYZ. This is especially prevalent when it comes to Abrahamic religiosn whom we are starved for texts and archeological evidence for anything earlier then the 3rd century AD (even Judaism)

Therefore it becomes a ridiculous endeavor to debate the actual intent of a religious text. Rather a correct historical approach is to examine the evidence of why people of a certain time interpreted a certain text and try to decipher then an understanding from it of the culture that it existed in. With the imperative understanding that what we interpret as most likely now (as opposed to unilaterally valid) may be demonstrated completely false in as little as two years as research in a given historical field discovers new clues that contradict the previous. And is in all cases open to interpretation.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By BatWatch

@NerdsFTW said:

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

@NerdsFTW:

Yes.

Quotes or your comment is baseless.

I couldn't sleep, so I did your job for you. I found a bunch of "condemning quotes" about Limbaugh and found...pretty much nothing. Out of the ten worst the liberal hacks had to offer, only three could be construed as racist. Two were simply made up, and the last one was...correct. Rush did make a racial slur in the 1970's while working as a shock jock. We only know of this because he brought it up himself in a news article and mentioned that he felt very bad about having made that remark. So, yes, he made a racial slur forty years ago, admitted to it without being called out on it, and apologized. What a monster!!!

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PsychoKnights:

I just hate how the liberal media makes conservatives into monsters. It offends my intellect, especially if here isn't anything factual. The fact Rush apologized and admitted his faults shows he's more of a man than the "news media members" who jump at his every step.

I'll go out on a limb and say I enjoy listening on Rush on the radio. It makes the drive to my college a great experience. (Jon and Ken make my longer trip back home a funny one, despite their occasional verbal issues like in the instance with Whitney Houston).

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Glitch_Spawn:

?

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Glitch_Spawn:

Rly? Hmm....I try going on in the morning/at night in the US, since Italy time is skewed. Mybe it doesn't show up on the watchers watch thing.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#117  Edited By JairamGanpat
Ha
Ha
BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By BatWatch

@JairamGanpat said:

Ha
Ha

Kinda funny, but completely wrong. Most Christians have no problem loving gays. My best friend has both taken it and given it to many men, and I've never had a problem loving him.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By pooty

@PsychoKnights:

while we are taught to love all people, doesn't the bible speak against being friends with those who practice gross sins aka fornication, adultery, homosexuality, murder, idolatry?

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By BatWatch

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

while we are taught to love all people, doesn't the bible speak against being friends with those who practice gross sins aka fornication, adultery, homosexuality, murder, idolatry?

Yep. When I was a Christian, I prayed and mediated over those verses asking God if I needed to change my friendships, but telling him I really didn't want to, and I wasn't going to unless he specifically told me to. He never specifically told me. Whether that was the right thing to do or not, I don't know.

Regardless, I'm not exactly a Christian anymore, and I really don't give a **** if I **** God off. If anything, it is a bonus.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By jobiwankenobi

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

That was early in the Bible when the Israelites were interacting with pagans and starting to participate in their practices.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By jobiwankenobi

@PsychoKnights said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

Yep. When I was a Christian, I prayed and mediated over those verses asking God if I needed to change my friendships, but telling him I really didn't want to, and I wasn't going to unless he specifically told me to. He never specifically told me. Whether that was the right thing to do or not, I don't know.

Regardless, I'm not exactly a Christian anymore, and I really don't give a **** if I **** God off. If anything, it is a bonus.

God never says to avoid homosexuals, so yes you are right. Also, according to the Catholic Church, it is okay to be homosexual. They only say that you should not act on those tendencies. This viewpoint my change again years down the road if scientific evidence is discovered about homosexuality, but I don't know; I'm not a Bishop.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By BatWatch

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

That was early in the Bible when the Israelites were interacting with pagans and starting to participate in their practices.

Actually, the new testament reiterates that Christians should not associate with adulterers...which includes pretty much everybody, so I would have to have almost no friends...especially when you consider that anyone who lusteth in his heart is guilty already of adultery. I guess I can try to dig up that verse, but it would probably be difficult. I've never heard anybody else discuss it, so it would probably be difficult to find.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By BatWatch

@jobiwankenobi said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

God never says to avoid homosexuals, so yes you are right. Also, according to the Catholic Church, it is okay to be homosexual. They only say that you should not act on those tendencies. This viewpoint my change again years down the road if scientific evidence is discovered about homosexuality, but I don't know; I'm not a Bishop.

Sure, when I was a Christian, I never thought it was wrong for someone to have homosexual desires. You can't control your desires, you can only control (or try to control) your actions. Someone who wants to have gay sex but doesn't act on his desires is no more guilty than a guy who has heterosexual desires and does not act on them.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By pooty

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

No i'm thinking of the new testament. early in the bible god said don't associate with certain people and later on his opinion has not changed. If a person is willfully practicing sin they should not be close associates. 1 Cor 15:33

@PsychoKnights: you can't control every desire but you don't have to concentrate on the bad ones. Matthew 5:28 is the scripture you were referring to.

and both of you be advised. i'm not judging or counseling either of you. i'm just quoting what is written. i have many things to work on myself.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By BatWatch

Since my last post didn't get much response, I'm not going to make this post as long. If anybody wants verses, I'll find references.

6) Mary(mother of Jesus) was always a virgin

No, this is just another strange tale made up by the Catholic church which contradicts the Bible. Jesus had a half brother, so unless there was a second miraculous conception...

7) Mary Magdelene was a prostitute

I don't even know where this one came from, but it didn't come from the Bible.

8) Adam(first man) had a wife before Eve

No. I have heard this one before, but I don't know the myth's origin. Again, it is not from the Bible.

Okay, thanks to the wonders of Wikipedia, I now know that the rumor of Adam's first wife, Lilith, comes from Jewish folklore. It doesn't draw any inspiration from the Bible.

9) The man is the head of the marriage

Yes. I Corinthians 11:3. Feminist Christians might whine about it, but the Bible teaches that men should be the leaders in marriage.

10) Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell

The Bible teaches that everyone is bad. When we submit to God, our sins are covered and we are considered to be righteous. In that sense, I guess you could say that the righteous (saved) people go to Heaven and those whose sins are not covered go to Hell, but that is still a gross simplification

Here was my original post:

Well, I was a fundamentalist, Bible-thumping Christian for the first twenty-six years of my life. I attended a Christian school. I went to church three times a week. I taught Sunday School and Jr. Church for kids for several years, and I taught the adults a couple times. All of that is to say, I'm probably one of if not the most qualified person on the forum to answer these questions. Should be fun.

1) Sex before marriage is wrong.

1. In so many words, no. In essence, yes. Strictly speaking, I can think of no verse that exactly says that sex before marriage is wrong, but it is generally accepted to a included as a form of fornication which the Bible clearly condemns. (1 Corinthians 16:13)

2) Suicide is an unforgivable sin

2. No. That is an idea put out by the Catholic church, but the Bible does not back it up. The Bible teaches that any sin, even lying, is bad enough to send someone to Hell. (Revelation 21:8) However, asking for God's forgiveness will cover any sin. (Romans 10:13) Furthermore, there is anecdotal evidence that people can go to Heaven after committing suicide. Saul, the King before the famous David, killed himself by falling on his own sword, yet it was prophesied by Samuel that he would be in Paradise.

3) Bible says homosexuality is wrong

3. Yes. Romans 1:25-27.

4) People should not marry outside their race/nationality

4. Debatable, but I would go with no. The Jews are forbidden by God from marrying outside their own race in this passage (Deuteronomy 7:3-4), but the issue is not simple. First, the instruction for the Jews are not necessarily meant for all people. Second, God clearly states that the reason he doesn't want the Jews to marry outside their own race is that the gods of the other races will steal the Hebrews' hearts. In almost every case where God tells the Jews not to marry other races, he mentions that the reason for this rule is because they worship other gods. At the same time, the book of Ruth is the story of a Moabite (non-Jewish) woman who was married to a Jewish man. Ruth converts to Judaism, and after the death of her husband, she moves to Israel, remarries, and is even in the lineage of Christ. With this in mind, the Bible seems to indicate that it is not the race that matters but the heart, but there is certainly a case to be made on the other side of the argument.

5) All sins are equal

5. No. I actually have never researched this until now, but the answer was found quickly. The idea that all sins are equal is not found in the Bible. Probably the clearest indication that there is a difference between levels of sin was demonstrated in Matthew 23:23-24 wherein God condemns the Pharisees for keeping their tithes, but forgetting, as he puts it, "the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, faith."

Well, I have to get to work. I'll finish the rest later.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By BatWatch

@pooty said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

No i'm thinking of the new testament. early in the bible god said don't associate with certain people and later on his opinion has not changed. If a person is willfully practicing sin they should not be close associates. 1 Cor 15:33

@PsychoKnights: you can't control every desire but you don't have to concentrate on the bad ones. Matthew 5:28 is the scripture you were referring to.

and both of you be advised. i'm not judging or counseling either of you. i'm just quoting what is written. i have many things to work on myself.

I concur.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By jobiwankenobi

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

Actually, the new testament reiterates that Christians should not associate with adulterers...which includes pretty much everybody, so I would have to have almost no friends...especially when you consider that anyone who lusteth in his heart is guilty already of adultery. I guess I can try to dig up that verse, but it would probably be difficult. I've never heard anybody else discuss it, so it would probably be difficult to find.

I know what you're talking about. It's pretty much for the same reason: so you don't start participating in their practices. Also, the lusting thing really only refers to thinking about doing things to them and in essence, masturbating. Checking someone out is not considered a sin. So, yeah I know what you're referring to.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#129  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@pooty said:

Many things are reported to be said in the Bible. Some true. Some false. So from your knowledge tell me if you believe these things are actually said in the Bible. Just write a T for True or F for False:

1) Sex before marriage is wrong- Yes

2) Suicide is an unforgivable sin - Yes. Considering that forgiveness happens in this life and judgement is faced after death, you can't really be forgiven after committing suicide.

3) Bible says homosexuality is wrong - Yes

4) People should not marry outside their race/nationality - No

5) All sins are equal - To a certain degree... that one is slightly more complicated than yes or no

6) Mary(mother of Jesus) was always a virgin - I know it says she was a virgin when she became pregnant and gave birth to Jesus, however, after that, I don't know

7) Mary Magdelene was a prostitute -Yes

8) Adam(first man) had a wife before Eve - No

9) The man is the head of the marriage - Yes, but people tend to interpret that statement a bit wrongly. The man is supposed to be the spiritual leader of the marriage/family, but nowhere in the Bible does it say that a wife is a slave to her husband or anything to that extent

10) Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell - It has less to do with good/bad and more "has accepted Jesus and been forgiven of sin" or "has not done that." Keep in mind that the forgiveness aspect isn't a one-and-done deal, it's a lifelong struggle.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BatWatch

@jobiwankenobi said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

I know what you're talking about. It's pretty much for the same reason: so you don't start participating in their practices. Also, the lusting thing really only refers to thinking about doing things to them and in essence, masturbating. Checking someone out is not considered a sin. So, yeah I know what you're referring to.

I don't recall Jesus saying, "Whosoever looketh at a woman to lust to the point of getting off hath committed adultery already. I'm pretty sure God didn't want us ogling anyone but our spouse. There is a difference, perfectly clear in my mind, between checking someone out in terms of beauty and checking someone out in terms of Bow-Chicka-Bow-Wow!

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By BatWatch

@Imagine_Man15 said:

@pooty said:

Many things are reported to be said in the Bible. Some true. Some false. So from your knowledge tell me if you believe these things are actually said in the Bible. Just write a T for True or F for False:

2) Suicide is an unforgivable sin - Yes. Considering that forgiveness happens in this life and judgement is faced after death, you can't really be forgiven after committing suicide.

2. If you have to repent for every individual sin, then doesn't that mean that if you curse right before you die in a fatal car accident, you are screwed...or are you subscribing to the non-Biblical Catholic view of mortal sins and venial sins? I was always taught that when you ask for forgiveness of sins, all sins are forgiven, past and present, but the Bible does seem to contradict itself on this point.

7. The Bible doesn't say that.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#132  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@PsychoKnights said:

@Imagine_Man15 said:

@pooty said:

2. If you have to repent for every individual sin, then doesn't that mean that if you curse right before you die in a fatal car accident, you are screwed...or are you subscribing to the non-Biblical Catholic view of mortal sins and venial sins? I was always taught that when you ask for forgiveness of sins, all sins are forgiven, past and present, but the Bible does seem to contradict itself on this point.

Ok... I suppose I can't argue with your logic on 2. Congratulations, you've actually managed to change someone's opinion in a religious discussion.

And as for 7, I guess I'll have to look at that again. I'll admit that I'm relatively new to faith as a whole, and I sure won't call myself an expert on all things biblical, as I haven't studied the book in its entirety yet.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By BatWatch

@Imagine_Man15 said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@Imagine_Man15 said:

@pooty said:

Ok... I suppose I can't argue with your logic on 2. Congratulations, you've actually managed to change someone's opinion in a religious discussion.

And as for 7, I guess I'll have to look at that again. I'll admit that I'm relatively new to faith as a whole, and I sure won't call myself an expert on all things biblical, as I haven't studied the book in its entirety yet.

2. I honestly don't think I've ever seen that before.

7. The Bible has endless depths to explore. Enjoy the journey.

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@pooty said:

5) All sins are equal

6) Mary didn't remain a virgin her entire life because the Bible records Jesus having brothers/sisters

7) She was a prozzy but repented

8) Lilith is not mentioned in the Bible or the Torah

10) Whether you're good or bad you go to Hell only Christ can save you not being a goody

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By BatWatch

@TheSpiritStalker said:

@pooty said:

5) All sins are equal

6) Mary didn't remain a virgin her entire life because the Bible records Jesus having brothers/sisters

7) She was a prozzy but repented

8) Lilith is not mentioned in the Bible or the Torah

10) Whether you're good or bad you go to Hell only Christ can save you not being a goody

7. Chapter and verse please. (grins)

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By jobiwankenobi

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

I don't recall Jesus saying, "Whosoever looketh at a woman to lust to the point of getting off hath committed adultery already. I'm pretty sure God didn't want us ogling anyone but our spouse. There is a difference, perfectly clear in my mind, between checking someone out in terms of beauty and checking someone out in terms of Bow-Chicka-Bow-Wow!

Well, yes if you have a spouse yeah. Checking someone out like that is sort of like having impure thoughts about them. There's nothing wrong with looking at someone and thinking they're hot. God doesn't get mad at us when we get boners; they're natural and He made them.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By BatWatch

@jobiwankenobi said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

Well, yes if you have a spouse yeah. Checking someone out like that is sort of like having impure thoughts about them. There's nothing wrong with looking at someone and thinking they're hot. God doesn't get mad at us when we get boners; they're natural and He made them.

I'm no expert on what God wants, but I have studied the Bible a lot. My understanding of the verse was that it refers to the act on intentionally lusting. There is a difference between seeing a girl indecently dressed and getting a little turned on, and intentionally staring at a hot girl for the purpose of enjoying her sexual attractiveness. The first would be uncontrollable, the second is a choice and a sin...at least in my understanding.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By jobiwankenobi

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

I'm no expert on what God wants, but I have studied the Bible a lot. My understanding of the verse was that it refers to the act on intentionally lusting. There is a difference between seeing a girl indecently dressed and getting a little turned on, and intentionally staring at a hot girl for the purpose of enjoying her sexual attractiveness. The first would be uncontrollable, the second is a choice and a sin...at least in my understanding.

Yeah, we're on the same page.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By jobiwankenobi

@pooty said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

@pooty said:

@PsychoKnights:

No one's judging anyone. We're just discussing stuff. Sorry if I came across that way.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By pooty

@jobiwankenobi: No, my friend you misunderstood. I was concerned I was coming off as judgmental. Everything you said is just fine

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By NerdsFTW

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: @PsychoKnights:

Since you think the "liberal media" is what makes Rush racist and not the fact of what he says, then you two don't know who Rush is.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#142  Edited By Strafe Prower

1) Sex before marriage is wrong. Truth

2) Suicide is an unforgivable sin. False

3) Bible says homosexuality is wrong. Truth

4) People should not marry outside their race/nationality. False

5) All sins are equal. Mostly True. All are equal except for not accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior.

6) Mary(mother of Jesus) was always a virgin. False

7) Mary Magdelene was a prostitute. Not sure on this one.

8) Adam(first man) had a wife before Eve. False

9) The man is the head of the marriage. Truth

10) Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. False

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@pooty said:

5) All sins are equal

I'm sure there are already flame-war-level debates going on in this thread that I don't even care to look at. I'll just crack out some quick answers for these. 

1) Yes. 

2) No, the Bible states that the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Suicide is indeed a sin, but it is not unforgivable. 

3) There is extensive controversy over this issue, as the Bible never overly states in undeniable black-and-white terms that homosexuality is wrong. However, there are several verses in the Bible which go against homosexuality. 

4) Ummm... no. I'm really not familiar with that as a Biblical concept at all. If anything, it may have been one of the laws God commanded in the Old Testament, but is no longer relevant due to Jesus establishing a new law/covenant with His people. However, I don't even remember hearing about that law even in the Old Testament... 

5) Yes, with one exception. The Bible states that the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Many Biblical scholars interpret blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to be actively living a life that rejects God and His sacrifice. 

6) No, not always. The Bible states that Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus. However, Mary and Joseph had more children after Jesus was born. 

7) Some people think that she was, but there is no solid evidence in the Bible to suggest that. There was a time in Luke chapter 7 in which a prostitute washed Jesus' feet. Some people say that that prostitute was Mary Magdalene, but I've never actually been sure where they get that idea from. 

8) No. Adam was the first man and Eve was the first woman, and they were husband and wife. 

9) Yes. God calls men to be leaders of their wives just as Christ is the leader of the church. Unfortunately, many men see this as reason to domineer over their wives and rule them with an iron fist. That sort of attitude is unbiblical. True biblical leadership requires love, humility, and self-sacrifice more than anything else. Christ is/was the leader of all of his followers, and yet he washed his disciples' feet and willingly sacrificed his life for humanity. 

10) That's not exactly the message of the Bible. According to the Bible there are no 'good people.' Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. It is impossible for us to be good people under our own power. We all sin and we are all imperfect.  John 14:6 says "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." (spoken by Jesus). Being a good person is not the path to Heaven, since it is impossible for us. The way for us to get to Heaven is to accept Jesus' sacrifice for us. He provided a way for us to get to Heaven by taking the punishment for all of our sins, dying, and then defeating death by coming back to life three days later. 
I hope that made sense. There are some things about the gospel that are difficult to explain in short terms.
Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Sex before marriage is wrong.-yes 2) Suicide is an unforgivable sin-no 3) Bible says homosexuality is wrong-yes 4) People should not marry outside their race/nationality-no 5) All sins are equal-yes 6) Mary(mother of Jesus) was always a virgin-not always 7) Mary Magdelene was a prostitute-no 8) Adam(first man) had a wife before Eve-no 9) The man is the head of the marriage-yes 10) Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell-no