Does The Bible Really Says These Things?

• 144 results
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pooty

Many things are reported to be said in the Bible. Some true. Some false. So from your knowledge tell me if you believe these things are actually said in the Bible. Just write a T for True or F for False:

1) Sex before marriage is wrong.

2) Suicide is an unforgivable sin

3) Bible says homosexuality is wrong

4) People should not marry outside their race/nationality

5) All sins are equal

6) Mary(mother of Jesus) was always a virgin

7) Mary Magdelene was a prostitute

8) Adam(first man) had a wife before Eve

9) The man is the head of the marriage

10) Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By King_Saturn
1. True... Fornication is considered Sex outside of Marriage and it is considered a Sin. 
2. False... I don't ever recall seeing this in the Bible. 
3. True... Leviticus says that Homosexuality is an Abomination and that those who do it must be put to death. 
5. True... if ye have broken one commandment it is like you have broken them all... Jesus said that in Matthew 5:19 IIRC  
6. False... Mary had James who was Jesus Brother and someone else who flees my memory. 
7. N/A... I don't recall her being straight out being called a prostitute... but the Bible says seven demons came out of her so she had some issues. 
8. False... that's not in the Bible... it's a story that came from other historical tales. 
9. True... read 1 Corinthians 11:3   
10. False... the Bible says that those who believe in Christ will go to Heaven and those who do not will partake in the Fire of Hell or The Grave or Eternal Darkness however you perceive Hell... now people assume that everyone who believes in Jesus are Good... but their are some Christians who are mean too.  

hmmm... I think I missed a question but oh well.
The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By The_Thunderer

@pooty:

1. T
  2. T
  3. T
  4. F
  5. T
  6. F
  7. T
  8. F
  9. T
  10. F
NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NerdsFTW

@BlueLantern1995 said:

1. F(There is only one race...HUMANITY)

I agree with this. Too bad there's Rush Limbaugh.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself

@BlueLantern1995 said:

I want to state one thing when I say all sins are not equal this is what I mean, God hates some sins more than others(examples Homosexuality, murder etc) but all sins are punishable by death and eternal damnation and only through Christ can you be forgiven.

I must edit my previous statement on Magdalene...we believe she was but it wasn't stated in the Bible.

are you saying that in God's eyes homosexuality is on par with murder??????

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By superstay

1) T

2) N/A

3) T

4) F

5) N/A (Some are disliked more then others murder>lying)

6) F (Only with Jesus)

7) N/A

8) F (Old wise tale or myth)

9) N/A I think F though

10) By Biblical standards T, Human standards F

do-ob

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By danhimself

@BlueLantern1995: are you talking about the 7 deadly sins?

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By superstay

I didn't know homosexuality was one of the 7 deadly sins. I thought they were

Lust

Gluttony

Greed

Sloth

Wrath

Envy

Pride

do-ob

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By Dracade102

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By superstay

Yeah the list I got is 14th century early Christian/Catholic Church.

d-_-b

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pooty

sorry for all the long quotes everyone but i need to see your responses to reply.

@King Saturn said:

1. True... Fornication is considered Sex outside of Marriage and it is considered a Sin.
3. True... Leviticus says that Homosexuality is an Abomination and that those who do it must be put to death.
5. True... if ye have broken one commandment it is like you have broken them all... Jesus said that in Matthew 5:19 IIRC
6. False... Mary had James who was Jesus Brother and someone else who flees my memory.
7. N/A... I don't recall her being straight out being called a prostitute... but the Bible says seven demons came out of her so she had some issues.
8. False... that's not in the Bible... it's a story that came from other historical tales.
10. False... the Bible says that those who believe in Christ will go to Heaven and those who do not will partake in the Fire of Hell or The Grave or Eternal Darkness however you perceive Hell... now people assume that everyone who believes in Jesus are Good... but their are some Christians who are mean too.

I only disagree with number 5 and 7. before i respond can you tell me where it says 7 demons were cast out of her? Thanks. oh you skipped number 4. Does the bible say you should not marry outside your nationality?

@The_Thunderer said:

@pooty:

1. T
  2. T
  3. T
  4. F
  5. T
  6. F
  7. T
  8. F
  9. T
  10. F

I'm not sure i agree with 2,5 ,7. what leads you to answer that way? Thanks

@BlueLantern1995 said:

I am a devout christian and have been for over a decade and this is what I know

@pooty said:

Many things are reported to be said in the Bible. Some true. Some false. So from your knowledge tell me if you believe these things are actually said in the Bible. Just write a T for True or F for False:

5) All sins are equal

6) Mary(mother of Jesus) was always a virgin

7) Mary Magdelene was a prostitute

8) Adam(first man) had a wife before Eve

9) The man is the head of the marriage

10) Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell

1. T
  2. F
  3. T
  4. F(There is only one race...HUMANITY)
  5. F
  6. F(was a virgin when she was pregnant with Jesus though)
  7. F(Bible doesn't state it but it is commonly believed that she was)
  8. F
  9. T
  10. F if by human standards, T if by biblical standards

for number 4 that is why i also put nationality. does the bible say it is wrong to marry outside your nationality?

@danhimself said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

I want to state one thing when I say all sins are not equal this is what I mean, God hates some sins more than others(examples Homosexuality, murder etc) but all sins are punishable by death and eternal damnation and only through Christ can you be forgiven.

I must edit my previous statement on Magdalene...we believe she was but it wasn't stated in the Bible.

are you saying that in God's eyes homosexuality is on par with murder??????

@BlueLantern1995 said:

All I know is that God listed the 7 sins he really detests and those 2 were on the list.

@superstay said:

I didn't know homosexuality was one of the 7 deadly sins. I thought they were

Lust

Gluttony

Greed

Sloth

Wrath

Envy

Pride

do-ob

The bible does NOT mention homosexuality as one of the "7 deadly sins" yet it does say that those who practice it will NOT inherit gods kingdom.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By longbowhunter

Here are a couple other "classics" straight outta Leviticus stating slavery is ok and killing bratty children is just good parenting.

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. (NIV)

Leviticus 25:44

Anyone who dishonors father or mother must be put to death. Such a person is guilty of a capital offense. (NLT)

Leviticus 20:9

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By superstay

@pooty I thought so

d-_-b

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pooty

@longbowhunter said:

Here are a couple other "classics" straight outta Leviticus stating slavery is ok and killing bratty children is just good parenting.

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. (NIV)

Anyone who dishonors father or mother must be put to death. Such a person is guilty of a capital offense. (NLT)

Slavery by God's people is very different from when black people were slaves. They were more servants who were paid and to be treated with respect. Not much different from a made or butler. They couldn't leave but they were to treated with respect.

The law about children should still apply today. AMEN

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By superstay

Spare the rod spoil the child. lol d*+*b

Shadow Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Shadow Stalker

I see this thread getting out of control very quickly. Let's just remember that there were a lot of laws given just to the Israelites that do not apply to us today. Also, Biblical writers often uses hyperbole and analogy to make their points and some things are not meant to be taken literally (though some are). Just be sure to research anything you come across before accepting it at face value. In fact, I would recommend comparing any singular verses against the message of the Bible as a whole.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pooty

@Shadow Stalker said:

I see this thread getting out of control very quickly. Let's just remember that there were a lot of laws given just to the Israelites that do not apply to us today. Also, Biblical writers often uses hyperbole and analogy to make their points and some things are not meant to be taken literally (though some are). Just be sure to research anything you come across before accepting it at face value. In fact, I would recommend comparing any singular verses against the message of the Bible as a whole.

nearly everyone has agreed and is being very respectful. it shouldn't get out of control. and this isn't a religious debate. it's just asking if certain things are actually said in a book.

ladymastermind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ladymastermind

I'm a christian. yes sex before marriage is wrong. yes suicide is wrong. homosexuality is a horrible thing. you should marry within your own race. I'm gonna have to double check of Mary was a virgin or not. I'm not really sure about the whole Mary Magedelin thing. No, Adam was the first man and Eve was the first woman. Yes the man should be the head of the house. Here's your biggest problem. People who have asked God to save them from thier sins are going to heaven. it doesn't matter how good you are. You could go to church, give offerings, do all the a Christian should do, but if haven't become a Christian, you're going to hell.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Inverno

That is why I left organized religion but I still believe in God though.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pooty

@ladymastermind said:

I'm a christian. yes sex before marriage is wrong. yes suicide is wrong. homosexuality is a horrible thing. you should marry within your own race. I'm gonna have to double check of Mary was a virgin or not. I'm not really sure about the whole Mary Magedelin thing. No, Adam was the first man and Eve was the first woman. Yes the man should be the head of the house. Here's your biggest problem. People who have asked God to save them from thier sins are going to heaven. it doesn't matter how good you are. You could go to church, give offerings, do all the a Christian should do, but if haven't become a Christian, you're going to hell.

The question isn't "Is suicide wrong" but "does the Bible say that suicide is an "unforgivable sin"?

and you say "you can do all the things a christian should do and still go to hell? If you do all the things a christian should do doesn't that make you a christian?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By King_Saturn
@pooty said:

sorry for all the long quotes everyone but i need to see your responses to reply.

@King Saturn said:

I only disagree with number 5 and 7. before i respond can you tell me where it says 7 demons were cast out of her? Thanks. oh you skipped number 4. Does the bible say you should not marry outside your nationality?

Luke 8:2 "And certain women which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went Seven Devils"  
( King James Version ) 

as far as you disagree with 5 and 7, I would be very interested to see anyone bring forth a passage that says that Mary Magdalene was a Prostitute out of the Bible... it's more assumed she was than actually shown in the Bible as such IIRC... 
now the other passage, about the are all sins the same... well you could use that blaspheming the holy spirit as the one unpardonable sin... but for the most part that is an action of finality... to completely blaspheme the holy ghost one much go their entire life rejecting the power therein until their death where no redemption can be given... whereas literally every other sin is done in a finite act... blasphemy against the holy ghost as seen as the act of entirely rejecting the power of God through the Holy Spirit and Jesus through an entire lifetime. 
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By longbowhunter

@ladymastermind said:

I'd just as soon go to hell. Spending an eternity in heaven with people using this line of logic doesnt seem much different.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Raiiyn

1) Sex before marriage is wrong. T. The bible consistently refers to sexual immorality and how this can be fixed by marriage. Corinthians 7:2

2) Suicide is an unforgivable sin. F. The bible has records of suicide. Ie. Samson and Judas

3) Bible says homosexuality is wrong. T. The bible states that homosexuals cannot inherit the kingdom of God. There are numerous references to homosexuality. Leviticus 18:22, 20:13, Corinthians 6:9

4) People should not marry outside their race/nationality. This is true and false. I think this comes down to interpretations. There are references that could allude to this such as Genesis 28:1

5) All sins are equal F. There are no specific verses that state this.

6) Mary(mother of Jesus) was always a virgin. F. This again can be up to interpretation and many people have argued for both sides. The bible does in fact mention that Mary had other children like in Mark 6:3 and the bible clearly mentions that Joseph would know Mary after Jesus' birth. Matthew 1:24-25.

7) Mary Magdelene was a prostitute F. Mary Magdalene is commonly confused with the unnamed adulterer whom Jesus did not condemn. There is no mention of her being a prostitute and this was actually cleared by the Vatican in 1969. Even the church does not regard her as prostitute.

8) Adam(first man) had a wife before Eve. F. While this is a widely spread story, there is only one mention of Lilith in all of the bible and even this is only in one or two translations. Isaiah 34:14

9) The man is the head of the marriage. F. It states the man is the head of the woman which can be interpreted different ways. Corinthians 11:13.

10) Good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. F. This is not stated in the bible. It isn't so much about who is good and who is bad, just who sins in the eyes of God. The bible states that those who seek forgiveness and repent their sinful ways will be embraced by God. Acts 2:38 or John 1:19.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By King_Saturn
@pooty said:

@longbowhunter said:

Slavery by God's people is very different from when black people were slaves. They were more servants who were paid and to be treated with respect. Not much different from a made or butler. They couldn't leave but they were to treated with respect.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this... mainly because in the Bible there was laws put in place about how the Masters was to treat their slaves or servants... this implies that the people who did have slaves and servants would treat them harshly... maybe not everyone... but some of them had to for laws to be put in place about how to beat slaves and so forth. So it's really hard to say that slavery back then was different then the times in the Americas with the Blacks... it could have been a lot closer than people would like to think. 
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pooty

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

Luke 8:2 "And certain women which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went Seven Devils"
( King James Version )

as far as you disagree with 5 and 7, I would be very interested to see anyone bring forth a passage that says that Mary Magdalene was a Prostitute out of the Bible... it's more assumed she was than actually shown in the Bible as such IIRC...
now the other passage, about the are all sins the same... well you could use that blaspheming the holy spirit as the one unpardonable sin... but for the most part that is an action of finality... to completely blaspheme the holy ghost one much go their entire life rejecting the power therein until their death where no redemption can be given... whereas literally every other sin is done in a finite act... blasphemy against the holy ghost as seen as the act of entirely rejecting the power of God through the Holy Spirit and Jesus through an entire lifetime.

my bad. i only meant disagreeing with number 5 for you. where does it say that all sins are the same? because their are seven sins that god really detest called the "seven deadly sins" and he also mentions a few sins that will keep you out of heaven. so i don't see how they all could equal the same. Is Hitler the same level as me lying when my girl ask " does it look like i've gained a few pounds"?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrinceIMC

The bible was written down by people and translated and rewritten dozens of times. And just because some of it has been accepted as fact a thousand years ago doesn't necessarily mean they apply today. It is all up for interpretation. I try to live by one simple rule, 'Don't be a dick'.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pooty

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@longbowhunter said:

I am going to have to disagree with you on this... mainly because in the Bible there was laws put in place about how the Masters was to treat their slaves or servants... this implies that the people who did have slaves and servants would treat them harshly... maybe not everyone... but some of them had to for laws to be put in place about how to beat slaves and so forth. So it's really hard to say that slavery back then was different then the times in the Americas with the Blacks... it could have been a lot closer than people would like to think.

not everyone in any culture is good. even among god's people there were some bad evil people. so god put laws into place to protect the slaves from the bad masters which i hope didn't make up the majority. as far as i know there were no laws to protect blacks from their slave owners

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By King_Saturn
@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

( King James Version )

my bad. i only meant disagreeing with number 5 for you. where does it say that all sins are the same? because their are seven sins that god really detest called the "seven deadly sins" and he also mentions a few sins that will keep you out of heaven. so i don't see how they all could equal the same. Is Hitler the same level as me lying when my girl ask " does it look like i've gained a few pounds"?

A few sins ? You must not recall the lists of things God says will keep you out of Heaven... read 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, it just about covers every sin that keeps a man from inheriting the Kingdom of God. Secondly, it's not the volume of sins you commit, it's the fact you Sin and are rendered imperfect... remember, God requires you to be Holy and Blameless when you enter his Kingdom... that's why Jesus and his sacrifice is so important... cause whether you commit 2 little lies in your lifetime or kills 6 million people like Hitler... all Sin is Sin in the eyes of Yahweh... and it's displeasing to him and will not enter his Kingdom... at least not to stay.  
BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#29  Edited By BatWatch

Well, I was a fundamentalist, Bible-thumping Christian for the first twenty-six years of my life. I attended a Christian school. I went to church three times a week. I taught Sunday School and Jr. Church for kids for several years, and I taught the adults a couple times. All of that is to say, I'm probably one of if not the most qualified person on the forum to answer these questions. Should be fun.

1. In so many words, no. In essence, yes. Strictly speaking, I can think of no verse that exactly says that sex before marriage is wrong, but it is generally accepted to a included as a form of fornication which the Bible clearly condemns. (1 Corinthians 16:13)

2. No. That is an idea put out by the Catholic church, but the Bible does not back it up. The Bible teaches that any sin, even lying, is bad enough to send someone to Hell. (Revelation 21:8) However, asking for God's forgiveness will cover any sin. (Romans 10:13) Furthermore, there is anecdotal evidence that people can go to Heaven after committing suicide. Saul, the King before the famous David, killed himself by falling on his own sword, yet it was prophesied by Samuel that he would be in Paradise.

3. Yes. Romans 1:25-27.

4. Debatable, but I would go with no. The Jews are forbidden by God from marrying outside their own race in this passage (Deuteronomy 7:3-4), but the issue is not simple. First, the instruction for the Jews are not necessarily meant for all people. Second, God clearly states that the reason he doesn't want the Jews to marry outside their own race is that the gods of the other races will steal the Hebrews' hearts. In almost every case where God tells the Jews not to marry other races, he mentions that the reason for this rule is because they worship other gods. At the same time, the book of Ruth is the story of a Moabite (non-Jewish) woman who was married to a Jewish man. Ruth converts to Judaism, and after the death of her husband, she moves to Israel, remarries, and is even in the lineage of Christ. With this in mind, the Bible seems to indicate that it is not the race that matters but the heart, but there is certainly a case to be made on the other side of the argument.

5) All sins are equal

5. No. I actually have never researched this until now, but the answer was found quickly. The idea that all sins are equal is not found in the Bible. Probably the clearest indication that there is a difference between levels of sin was demonstrated in Matthew 23:23-24 wherein God condemns the Pharisees for keeping their tithes, but forgetting, as he puts it, "the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, faith."

Well, I have to get to work. I'll finish the rest later.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By King_Saturn
@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@longbowhunter said:

not everyone in any culture is good. even among god's people there were some bad evil people. so god put laws into place to protect the slaves from the bad masters which i hope didn't make up the majority. as far as i know there were no laws to protect blacks from their slave owners

Exactly... there was a lot of Bad People who was with God's people and they did Bad Things to their Slaves... This is what I am saying compensates for the fact that Slavery back then could have been very harsh in different ways just like it was for The Blacks in America... now there was no laws put in place for Slaves in the Americas... but keep in mind, many of the Slave Owners who was in America were Christian... and they used the Bible to affirm their position on Slavery... who is to say they did not use concepts like seen in Exodus or Leviticus when having Slaves when they did ? 
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pooty

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

( King James Version )

A few sins ? You must not recall the lists of things God says will keep you out of Heaven... read 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, it just about covers every sin that keeps a man from inheriting the Kingdom of God. Secondly, it's not the volume of sins you commit, it's the fact you Sin and are rendered imperfect... remember, God requires you to be Holy and Blameless when you enter his Kingdom... that's why Jesus and his sacrifice is so important... cause whether you commit 2 little lies in your lifetime or kills 6 million people like Hitler... all Sin is Sin in the eyes of Yahweh... and it's displeasing to him and will not enter his Kingdom... at least not to stay.

I am very aware of 1 Corin 6:9-10. i say "a few" because there are so many many ways to sin that even that list is "few" by comparison. Nevertheless, god does not expect perfection. I agree fully that every sin makes you imperfect. Every sin qualifies you for death. But because of jesus sacrifice god is willing to forgive some sins but some he will not. So in the BIG picture i don't think all sins carry the same weight. Some will be forgiven. some will not.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By joshmightbe

I've read several versions of the bible from back to front and I have to say this is the most contradictory piece of literature in history. I believe all the people who have altered the book for political gain over the centuries have robbed it of most of its initial ideals. For instance according to many religious historians the modern bible's high level of seeming contempt for women was non existent prior to a few hundred years ago. Like the Adam and Eve thing, modern religion pretty much throws all blame at Eve but in most of the original texts they've discovered that it was intended for them to share blame pretty equally.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By King_Saturn
@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

( King James Version )

I am very aware of 1 Corin 6:9-10. i say "a few" because there are so many many ways to sin that even that list is "few" by comparison. Nevertheless, god does not expect perfection. I agree fully that every sin makes you imperfect. Every sin qualifies you for death. But because of jesus sacrifice god is willing to forgive some sins but some he will not. So in the BIG picture i don't think all sins carry the same weight. Some will be forgiven. some will not.

There is only one clear sin in the Bible I recall that you can not be forgiven for... "Blasphemy Against The Holy Ghost" that means that every thing else can either be forgiven or lead you to Hell... meaning that all sins whether one has more weight in God's eyes or not... 99 percent of them still have the same factors that occur with them : if you commit them God will punish you or forgive you for the act depending on if you repent or not. 
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pooty

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@longbowhunter said:

Exactly... there was a lot of Bad People who was with God's people and they did Bad Things to their Slaves... This is what I am saying compensates for the fact that Slavery back then could have been very harsh in different ways just like it was for The Blacks in America... now there was no laws put in place for Slaves in the Americas... but keep in mind, many of the Slave Owners who was in America were Christian... and they used the Bible to affirm their position on Slavery... who is to say they did not use concepts like seen in Exodus or Leviticus when having Slaves when they did ?

The thing that separates it for me is that back then God actually spoke to his people. Black slave owners picked and chose to believe. Ancient slavery may have started out good and over time some people lost their way. god made laws to put them back in line. so i see what your saying. they could have been similiar but i don't think God and the good leaders of his people would let it get too far out of hand for to long.

@BlueLantern1995 said:

All sin will keep you from heaven(if you don't accept Christ) but some God hates a lot more than others...he almost killed Moses' sister for being racist/against Moses marrying out of his nationality, and he only didn't when Moses pleaded for his sister's life. He also hates homosexuality, murder, and others more than lets say lying or stealing.

God made mankind and didn't create "races" or nations. He created Mankind and thus we can marry the opposite sex from any nation or race...or as the Bible says "tribes, nations, and tongues".

Also another thing, if you did keep all the commands of God then yes you would go to Heaven, but I tell you this...No one can and also I must state that it isn't just keeping his commands you are also to respect him and worship him...with these requirements, only through Christ can you be saved.

I agree the first paragraph. all sin leads to death but some sins won't be forgiven. The second paragraph god did want his people separate from other nations so they wouldn't defile his people. marrying other cultures, races now is biblicaly fine. i just don't agree with it personally. I agree completely with the last paragraph also.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By King_Saturn
@pooty said: 

The thing that separates it for me is that back then God actually spoke to his people. Black slave owners picked and chose to believe. Ancient slavery may have started out good and over time some people lost their way. god made laws to put them back in line. so i see what your saying. they could have been similiar but i don't think God and the good leaders of his people would let it get too far out of hand for to long.

alrighty
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Dracade102 said:

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

that is the stupidest funking thing I have ever heard in all my days 
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By King_Saturn
@BlueLantern1995 said:

@King Saturn There are 2 kinds of slavery Biblical Slavery and Cattle Slavery. One is good and one is bad. One should be enacted today one shouldn't.

Biblical Slavery(the one that should be around today) was used for people to pay off their debts, people who stole would if caught be enslaved to the person until they have worked off their debt...this is Biblical slavery and should be around today.

Cattle Slavery(the one that shouldn't) is a horrible, evil thing. This happened to the black people of Africa. People went and captured them to be sold...there are passages in the Bible against this kind of slavery(though I can't think of any chapter/verse references, I do know one was in Deuteronomy)

Exodus 21: 20-21 "Anyone who beats their male and female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result. But they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property" ( NIV )  

you think this should be around today ? 
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pooty

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

@pooty said:

@King Saturn said:

( King James Version )

There is only one clear sin in the Bible I recall that you can not be forgiven for... "Blasphemy Against The Holy Ghost" that means that every thing else can either be forgiven or lead you to Hell... meaning that all sins whether one has more weight in God's eyes or not... 99 percent of them still have the same factors that occur with them : if you commit them God will punish you or forgive you for the act depending on if you repent or not.

I'm saying all sin no matter how small makes you imperfect and leads to death. Do we agree on that? I'm also saying that God will forgive more easily a person who tried to follow his way and failed a few times than he would a person who constantly did the things in 1Cor 6:9-10. Yes by the word of the law you are right...all sin is the same. I'm not denying that. but the spirit of the law says different.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By King_Saturn
@pooty said: 

I'm saying all sin no matter how small makes you imperfect and leads to death. Do we agree on that? I'm also saying that God will forgive more easily a person who tried to follow his way and failed a few times than he would a person who constantly did the things in 1Cor 6:9-10. Yes by the word of the law you are right...all sin is the same. I'm not denying that. but the spirit of the law says different.

hmmmmm.... okay.
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pooty

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Dracade102 said:

that is the stupidest funking thing I have ever heard in all my days

back then a woman who was not a virgin, had almost no chance of being married. sex before marriage back then was frowned upon. so even though it was not her fault, the man who raped her had to marry her so that he could provide for her since no other man would.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By superstay

@joshmightbe:

I've heard God was disappointed more in Adam than Eve. Because Eve who didn't know any better was blindly convinced by the serpent to eat the fruit, where as Adam new about the forbidden fruit and made the choice to eat it. But that just food for thought I would won't to start a argument or anything. d-_-b

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pooty

@joshmightbe said:

I've read several versions of the bible from back to front and I have to say this is the most contradictory piece of literature in history. I believe all the people who have altered the book for political gain over the centuries have robbed it of most of its initial ideals. For instance according to many religious historians the modern bible's high level of seeming contempt for women was non existent prior to a few hundred years ago. Like the Adam and Eve thing, modern religion pretty much throws all blame at Eve but in most of the original texts they've discovered that it was intended for them to share blame pretty equally.

Adam and Eve do share the blame equally. Adam was cursed also. "in sweat and heat the man will toil for harvest" or something like that. adam, eve, and the serpent were all punished.

@BlueLantern1995: as far as NOT marrying outside your "race" that is not supported biblically. that is my own personal view.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By joshmightbe

@superstay: Technically its God's fault for putting the tree there in the first place, it'd be like me telling my daughter not to play with matches then tossing a box of them in her toy box.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By King_Saturn
@BlueLantern1995 said:

@King Saturn Biblical slavery is a good thing and I believe it should be around. Biblical slavery is Those who steal or need to pay a debt will be enslaved till debt is paid. All other kinds of slavery are a abomination in the eyes of God...look I didn't say it...God did. Take it up with him.

That's part of the ideal concept of slavery for the bible... but in reality the slaves back then was treated like crap too... at least some of them was. My last post was asking you did you feel that passage in Exodus 21 should be enacted today as far as Biblical Slavery... I mean do you really think it's okay to beat the crap out of someone as long as they can come to after a day or so ? 
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pooty

@joshmightbe said:

@superstay: Technically its God's fault for putting the tree there in the first place, it'd be like me telling my daughter not to play with matches then tossing a box of them in her toy box.

Is your daughter a grown adult like adam/eve? If not, the example is not the same.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By superstay

yeah, personally I think he was testing them to see if they would obey his order. Which if it wasn't for the serpent they would of and we'll still be in the garden to this day, lol maybe? d-_-b

Shadow Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Shadow Stalker

@joshmightbe: Technically, God made everything Good but because he gave them free will, their had to be one option for them to exercise that will. Thus, he gave them countless "good" things and only one "evil" thing. Without at least one "evil" choice, they would not have had free will.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By superstay

Well as of what I've heard they were like kids atleast in the innocence aspect. d-_-b

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By joshmightbe

@pooty: According to the Bible Adam and Eve had no knowledge of the world beyond base primal urges so technically they were on pretty even ground with the modern 2 year old. The fruit of the tree is what provided them with the ability to differentiate between right and wrong and God hadn't even given them a concept of consequences prior to the act. He said they could eat the fruit of every tree in the garden aside from that one but he gave them no idea what the results would be or even a concept that not doing what God said was wrong because like the book says they had no concept of right and wrong. Basically God set them up to fail.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By King_Saturn
@Shadow Stalker said:

@joshmightbe: Technically, God made everything Good but because he gave them free will, their had to be one option for them to exercise that will. Thus, he gave them countless "good" things and only one "evil" thing. Without at least one "evil" choice, they would not have had free will.

I got a scenario for you... If I wake up this morning... and I decide to make some breakfast... and I have some pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage and grits... and decide to choose the bacon and grits to make out of the items given... 

Did I not just exercise my free will to choose what to eat for breakfast ? Was there not choices available for me to choose from ?  
The Question I Pose To You Is This... Why Is Free Will Only Valid If There Is A Bad Decision Available ? you can't exercise your free will with nothing but choices that have positive outcomes ?