Does alternative mean false or fake to you when it comes to news/facts?

• 57 results
Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It seems that that is the meaning the word has now taken on as it relates to the news. Is that how you interpret something which is being reported by any form of 'alt media'?

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By judasnixon

Remember when "Alternative Media" was music by Nirvana, or a Sandman comic......

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't going to end well

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DA MAYNE STREEM MEATIER

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see it as not correct, or didn't happen when it comes to facts. Facts are known, or have been proven to be true. Media is and always will be bias, because of that it's often hard to take what is said by media as matter of fact.

So for example if something has not been proven to be true, then it is not a fact.

Do you think an alternative truth exists? Because that's what alternative facts are.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redxiii18881990: I don't agree in the sense that everything being reported by companies like cnn, abc or fox are innately true so to speak. They often just regurgitate something they are being told by the state dept(at least up until Trump being potus) and pass it off as fact. Those companies have also been shown to intentionally alter what they put forward as news or facts many times over the years to fit a narrative they are putting out. Such as with the Zimmerman/Martin story where things were being edited and then pieced together or only part of a story was being reported while other parts were being intentionally left out.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember when "Alternative Media" was a music by Nirvana, or a Sandman comic......

I agree that back then when something was given a label of alt it was generally considered more cool or outside the established way of doing something. Now though it seems alt is synonymous with wrong or false.

Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: so you don't agree with me, and think that big media companies don't always tell facts, but rather just what they are told?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#9 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Facts don't need adjectives.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rubear

@spambot: There are facts and there are "facts"... On your place i'd not trust mainstream mass media that can't discern terrorist from "freedom fighter" or claim that Aleppo was capital of opposition or some other crap like "Hillary will became president 100% and all who think else are deplorable racists and sexists" like at all.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jaycool2: why are your words italicized? Are you cool now?

Lol jk

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spambot

@redxiii18881990: I would say facts per se are not a big part of how the news is presented. Facts to them are not imo what the strict definition of the word means. They are more just details which surround a story they are telling. Story is actually a big word in the news industry. Its all in how the story is told and presented from their perspective imo. I think a big reason why alt media has become a thing is due to how the major media presents the 'news'.

Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: so what you are saying is media's facts or what the proclaim as facts are not always facts, and are used to benefit the country for example because they are being told to by the state department. Which is basically what I said. I said that you can't take what is put out in the media as 100% matter of fact, and that the media is bias. Which is due to things like the state department controlling it and so on. I'm saying this because I'm not too sure why you are disagreeing with me, when I've said almost the exact thing you did.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spambot

@redxiii18881990: I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you. Simply replying to what you said. I would not agree though that relying on the state dept for facts is for the benefit of the country. It depends on whether you agree with what the gov't is doing regarding the story they want to put out. Usually when the media is being spoonfed a story and just report it its a sign something shady might be going on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: i do it when i'm on my laptop

and hell yeah i'm cool

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

BB

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By comicace3

It means its false. Why is this even a conversation? She clearly made up that word.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spambot

@comicace3: This wasn't in reference to some interview Kellyanne Conway gave. Use of the word alt as it pertains to news sites and other things on the internet has been around for longer than Trump has been part of the political landscape. It was more recently that the media started their fake news crusade to make alt news/media synonymous with fake news.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Media nowadays is more bent on carrying an agenda rather than giving straight information.

Do your own research on matters that concern you.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you pay attention to Spicer and Conaway and all the rest of Trump's spokespeople, you will see something worse than falsehood is going on here.

When they use the phrase "alternative facts", they are not arguing that their falsehoods are true.

They use the phrase "alternative facts" to encourage a tragic conviction among their target audience that ALL facts are arbitrary and that NO facts have any basis in reality.

They use the phrase "alternative facts" to claim that truth and falsehood are all labels applied by whoever has the political power -- that when Obama was in power, the facts quoted by him and his supporters were true for no reason except that he said so and, therefore, now that Trump is in power, any facts made up by Trump must be true for no other reason except that Trump has said so.

They use the phrase "alternative facts" because they refuse to believe in an objective reality, and they see countervening evidence as nothing more than political efforts to overthrow their reality with usurper facts.

That is what is going on.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

@rubear said:

@spambot: There are facts and there are "facts"... On your place i'd not trust mainstream mass media that can't discern terrorist from "freedom fighter" or claim that Aleppo was capital of opposition or some other crap like "Hillary will became president 100% and all who think else are deplorable racists and sexists" like at all.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@name_already_chosen: Alt news isn't the same as Trump's spokespeople using the term 'alternative facts' which they just recently started doing in the last week or so.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alternative is a different or variation of something. I don't know how or why people are putting a "false" connotation to it.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alternative is a different or variation of something. I don't know how or why people are putting a "false" connotation to it.

How the hell do you have a variation of a fact? Lol

Is your username heatblaze123? Yes. Is that a fact? Yes. Would a variation of that username be heatblaze234? Yes. Is heatblaze123 = heatblaze234? No. Therefore, the variation of the fact renders said fact NOT a fact.

I don't know how this is hard to understand. It's literally a level of logic that you should've mastered by age 5 lol

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thekillerklok

Main stream = television based.

Alternative = internet based.

Both are somehow equally unreliable places to find real news.

Just get your news from multiple sources and get a good feel for what ride they are trying to take you on.

Oh!.. and don't let anyone tell you what news is real and which is fake... if you don't know why go read 1984 or at least a good summary...

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok: I think that's a somewhat good way of differentiating. The old tv news companies resent the internet ones which have sprung up in the last 10+ years and which don't always accept the story/facts the way the big 4/5(if you count Fox among the others) present them. None are fully trustworthy.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Heatblaze
@heatblaze123 said:

Is your username heatblaze123? Yes. Is that a fact? Yes. Would a variation of that username be heatblaze234? Yes. Is heatblaze123 = heatblaze234? No. Therefore, the variation of the fact renders said fact NOT a fact.

I don't know how this is hard to understand. It's literally a level of logic that you should've mastered by age 5 lol

Good one!

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol alternative facts sounds like a lie

name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatblaze123 said:

Because Kellyanne Conway used the term "alternative facts" as a synonym for lie or falsehood during an interview when she defended Donald Trump's lies about the number of people at his inaugeration.

She explicitly referred to his lies as "alternative facts".

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatblaze123 said:

Because Kellyanne Conway used the term "alternative facts" as a synonym for lie or falsehood during an interview when she defended Donald Trump's lies about the number of people at his inaugeration.

She explicitly referred to his lies as "alternative facts".

LOL! Now that's embarrassing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, this whole thing with "fake news" and "alternative facts" is really giving me an Orwellian kinda feel. It's a bit worrying. But before November (or was it December?) when the term "fake news" went mainstream and the media was reporting on it, and Trump started calling stuff fake news. I didn't really know what to make of "alternative news/media". I didn't even really know what is was. I remember someone made a thread about that asking "what type of alternative news/media do you watch/listen/read?" or something like that. And this thread was before the election I believe and back when I used to watch RT news. Which I listed in response in that thread.

As for "alternative facts", that just sounds stupid to me. Well maybe it does make a little sense in a way, idk. And when I say that I mean that there are different sides to a story. Perspective basically. For example, what people in America and Russia consider facts may be different. I'm just saying that generally on this new term, "alternative facts". (I don't think I explained this point very clearly or well, so just ignore this paragraph, if it sounds dumb. I'm too lazy to clarify it more.)

No, I don't actually agree with Kellyanne Conway or Spicer when they said the crowds were record breaking or whatever. Clearly they weren't. So yeah "alternative facts" sounds like a lie and can be potentially dangerous.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all this I have never seen

@buttersdaman000 said:
@heatblaze123 said:

Good one!

It's not, it just shows a lack of creative thought. It shows how easy it is to manipulate people.

Let me give you an example. Someone on the left and someone on the right have a debate.

You watch CNN and they show you there selection of highlights and call the person on the left a winner, a bunch of left wing bloggers on your twitter do the same. You accept this as fact and move on.

As far as CNN and the bloggers where concerned the person on the left had won, this is a fact, they won the debate based on the criteria set forth by them.

Now someone from Fox may declare the person on the right a winner, a bunch of right wing blogs do the same. They are factually correct as well, the person on the right won the debate based on criteria set forth by them.

There we have an example of alternative facts present in the media and how they manipulate you.

name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister1 said:

You watch CNN and they show you there selection of highlights

You're begging the question, one of the most insidious and manipulative of all rhetorical trickery or logical fallacies.

Anyone who begs the question has invalidated his or her argument until that logical fallacy has been addressed and fixed.

In this case, you are making the unproven, undefended, unwarranted assumption in your example that CNN would show an insincerely edited selection -- and you are treating your unproven suspicion as though it were a fact.

But it is not a fact. It is nothing more than an unproven aspersion that you have not bothered to prove thus far.

You are simply asserting your accusation of insincerity and/or biased editing against CNN without proof and then using your unproven assertion to justify your definition of facts as having "alternatives".

That is the rhetorical trick known as "begging the question" (if you don't know what that is, then look it up!).

The Trumpian phrase "alternative fact" is the same sort of insidious and manipulative logical fallacy or rhetorical trickery.

It is predicated upon the fanatical, devout belief that any facts at variance with Trumpian beliefs must be the result of insincerity, bias, dishonesty, or faulty editing.

It is predicated upon the fanatical, devout belief that there is no need to use reason, logic, or evidence to support Trumpian beliefs -- all that is necessary is to cast unproven aspersions against anyone who disagrees.

That is what the term "alternative facts" indicates and nothing else.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@name_already_chosen: you should probably avoid debates given how bad your reading comprehension is.

I used a hypothetical situation to show how alternative facts can be a thing and you throw bargain basement facebook arguments at me. Like I said

It shows how easy it is to manipulate people.

When you defend a network of all things when I haven't even accused them of doing anything wrong.

name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister1 said:

you should probably avoid debates given how bad your reading comprehension is.

We can add ad hominem to your use of begging the question.

One might also add to the list distortion of other perspectives, but the use of distortion simply demonstrates "alternative facts" as a way to promote the falsity for which you argue.

name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony said:

@spambot: "alternative" is just a word liberals and the media put on anything they don't like.

The term "alternative facts" was coined by Trump spokesperson Kellyanne Conway, who is avowedly not a liberal nor a member of the media.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@asgardianbrony said:

@spambot: "alternative" is just a word liberals and the media put on anything they don't like.

The term "alternative facts" was coined by Trump spokesperson Kellyanne Conway, who is avowedly not a liberal nor a member of the media.

HE was probably referring to the latest liberal buzzword "Alt-Right" to discredit those that don't agree with their narrative.

Yarva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mikethekiller

@dernman said:
@name_already_chosen said:

@asgardianbrony said:

HE was probably referring to the latest liberal buzzword "Alt-Right" to discredit those that don't agree with their narrative.

Wasn't the term alt right created by Richard Spencer who I'm pretty sure is a far right white supremacist?

Marc_55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikethekiller: Yes it was. ABrony and Derman clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Media is just a word liberals uses to make their news look good

I joke

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dernman

@mikethekiller said:
@dernman said:

@asgardianbrony said:

Wasn't the term alt right created by Richard Spencer who I'm pretty sure is a far right white supremacist?

You say that like people cannot co-opt someone else's creation for their own purposes and meaning.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc_55 said:

Yes it was. ABrony and Derman clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

Riiiight because you clearly do.

I repeat what I said to mike.

You say that like people cannot co-opt someone else's creation for their own purposes and meaning.

Marc_55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: The problem being, no one changed the meaning, they simply applied it where it fit.

SirDrProfessor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"alternative facts" is just another term for lies and biased opinions used to conform to an agenda and play it off as truth.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dernman

@marc_55 said:

@dernman: The problem being, no one changed the meaning, they simply applied it where it fit.

The point being that Mike said that it was created by Richard Spence as a way to deny that

it's the latest liberal buzzword "Alt-Right" to discredit those that don't agree with their narrative.

Which it doesn't as I explained when I said

Supposedly changing the meaning isn't necessary for adoption.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Richard Spencer created the term "alt-right" way before it became a mainstream buzzword for right wingers.

"Liberals" didn't change the meaning of the word, Spencer did when he started going off about Speeches of peaceful ethnic cleansing.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mikethekiller

@dernman said:
@mikethekiller said:
@dernman said:

@asgardianbrony said:

I mean from what I've seen "liberal" media didn't really change the meaning of the term alt right, they pretty much use it to describe people with views similar to Richard Spencer and I some cases those people very much identify as alt right.