Do you think comics are a legitimate form of literature?

• 60 results
Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think comics are a legitimate form of literature? (69 votes)

Yes. 68%
Eh.. sort of(Maybe). 13%
No. 14%
No real opinion. 4%

Do you think comics are a legitimate form of literature? And if so, why? If you don't, why not?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5a794b61068b8
deactivated-5a794b61068b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say yes for the most part. Not every comic or manga or whatever is a masterpiece, but I do consider them to be valid forms of literature, sometimes with really amazing narratives. Unfortunately, the medium doesn't always get the respect it may deserve due to being in animated form -- usually considered for children. That's how I look at it I guess.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The medium is often undervalued in the public eye but considering you've got writers legitimate writers e.g. Gaiman (a well renowned author of conventional literature) in the field id say it is

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Have you read Maus?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the broadest definition, yeah.

DaDivineKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Obviously.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

They are written stories. Isn't that the definition of literature?

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 destinyman75  Online

Yes

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By jumpstart55

Being a giant book worm and a massive fan of classical literature...I can honestly say that in Genreal comics should not be considered literture, And instead a separate form of art all together...Books carry the reader through a wonderous journey of words presented in a narrative structure.And because lituture just relies on words you have to create mental images in your head and design what everything might look like in your head... Whereas comics carry the reader through a journey of pictures and drawings with some dialogue presented in a narrative structure, the need to fill in the gaps isn't nessary since there are pictures..And why would you consider comics and lituture to be the same? When your brain treats the two activaties completely different.....But Story and Pros(Writing)wise I suppose that you can consider the very best among the comic book genre like Watchmen,V for Vendetta, Sandman,Red Son etc...To be brilliantly written works of art in the same breath as great literture but in Genreal Comics are just a dffifferent art forum...Like you don't consider a great Tv series Like Game of Thrones to be A cinematic masterpiece like Seven Samurai...Their both great but trying to compare them under one umbrella is like comparing Apples and Onions.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrmonster

Absolutely. I see no reason why comic books/graphic novels should not be taken as a serious form of literature.

Watchmen appeared on Time Magazine's list of the 100 greatest novels of all time. If that's not proof, what is?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 dshipp17  Online

They certainly could be at times. Superman battled the KKK in the 1950s, Wonder Woman contributed women's equality (and loosened stigma against a beautiful women being sexy; put bondage in comics), and X-Men put a focus on racial discrimination; and, there had to be other prominent social issues.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@wildvine said:

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but manga is.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course. Why wouldn't they be?

No, but manga is.

There is an argument to be made that the average manga is better than the average western comic book, even though I think separating the two is dumb.

>wah but muh colors and reading order

Wow, what a great difference.

Huir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a legitimate form of something.

It should be taken seriously, for sure, but I don't know if it should be classified under literature.

Just as a film is much more than its screenplay, a comic is much more than its plot and dialogue.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I tend to think of it as art but also...

@wildvine said:

...this too.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically yes. As a respected form, no and with rare exception, that is how it should be. Comparing the latest Willy Wonka teen drama adventure of the X-Men to Ulysses is frankly, absurd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I see them as two very different mediums. Most comparisons are frivolous. Literature is literature and comics are comics. People who say the latter is artistically equal to the former are usually looking for validation.

Also, most of the people on this site don't read actual literature, so their opinions are moot.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how you define literature. If the question is can comics achieve the same features and status attributed to literature, then yes.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. I see no reason why comic books/graphic novels should not be taken as a serious form of literature.

Watchmen appeared on Time Magazine's list of the 100 greatest novels of all time. If that's not proof, what is?

Well some Graphic Novel have none to almost no text, so how can comics in general be considered a serious form of literature ?

To be technicall, Graphic Novels and Comics are a different category from Novel. If you look at the internationaly accepted arts classification:

1. Architecture and Industrial art
  2. Sculpture
  3. Painting / Drawing (and now Street art)
  4. Music
  5. Poetry and Litterature
  6. Performing arts (theatre, dance, mime, circus, puppet, magic)
  7. Cinema
  8. Media art (Photography, Radio, Television)
  9. Comics and Graphic Novels
  10. Numeric arts
  11. Others: not "official" art forms (Gardening, Gastronomy, Divination, Modelling, Caligraphy, Perfuming, Design, Video Games, Role play, Origami)
pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, but I couldn't really care less about what they're considered. They're awesome either way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way for people asking why the hell i'm asking i'm doing this for a school project

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#26  Edited By wildvine

@sprior93 said:

I see them as two very different mediums. Most comparisons are frivolous. Literature is literature and comics are comics. People who say the latter is artistically equal to the former are usually looking for validation.

Also, most of the people on this site don't read actual literature, so their opinions are moot.

That is a broad statement. You said literature but what I hear is classic literature. Which may be assumption on my part but you aren't defining literature. So by this open standard Dr Seuss is on board with Stephen King and H.G. Wells. But that opens a new can of worms. Is Sr Seuss literature above, say, Captain Underpants? Is Goosebumps literature? Not saying you're wrong per se. Just trying to find the cutoff here.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well.....yeah? Just because it has illustrations in it doesn't put up a question of it being legit literature or not.......

erikarlsson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you're asking this question on a site where almost 100% of the people read comics, so the general consensus will obviously be yes...

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes definitely. The themes and stories have become part of popular culture. Even people who have not read the comics will make references to the characters.

I'd even go as far to say that Stan Lee is one of the most important writers of the past 100 years. Think of the money his characters have made from movies, toys and book sales. Sure comics are not listed on the NYT bestseller list, but who hasn't heard of Batman, Superman, or the Avengers?

SheMail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SheMail

Of courshe!

DaDivineKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems to me, that people are answering the question with deferring definitions of the word "literature".

kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Literature doesn`t have to be good to be considered literature.

That being said, yes, there are even such oddities superhero comics that are great literature.
In my opinion, Detective comics 787, for example.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you're asking this question on a site where almost 100% of the people read comics, so the general consensus will obviously be yes...

Well for my part I disagree. Like I mentionned before, comics and literature are 2 different things ! It's like saying Magasins, Newspaper and Novels are the same thing.

But I would say that writting wise, some comics can easily compete with novels.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when i was in grade 4 I used to bring Comics to school for 'silent reading time' and my teacher told me I wasnt allowed to anymore, she also called my mom and said I brought a book that offered her and objectified women (Wonder Woman was in one of the comics I brought to school lol)

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when i was in grade 4 I used to bring Comics to school for 'silent reading time' and my teacher told me I wasnt allowed to anymore, she also called my mom and said I brought a book that offered her and objectified women (Wonder Woman was in one of the comics I brought to school lol)

What an asshole.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat said:

What an asshole.

was a Woman...can women be assholes? LOOL but for real! after that i really had to convince my mom (years of convincing) to let me buy comics again.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just as much as movies are a legitimate art form. Film gave us Citizen Kane and The Godfather, but also Adam Sandler movies and Plan 9 from Outer Space, so comics and graphic novels can give us great art and ridiculous crap. If it's bad it can still be art, in fact art can literally be pile of crap.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Very few, and honestly, none of the comics that would be considered "literature" would have anything to do with superheroes with the exception of one or two. X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman... sorry, but none of them warrant being literature.

The only ones that I can call literature with a straight face are:

• Maus
  • V for Vendetta
  • The Sandman
  • Persepolis
  • Watchmen (heavily debatable. Watchmen's significance is its contributions to comics, not in general)
  • Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth (possibly)

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BlueHope

Yes, Watchmen proved that.

snikt_bamf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By snikt_bamf

@jedixman:

I don't see why Homer's Illiad for instance has a plot much more complicated than many X-Men stories?

Achilleus is kind of the first superhero story.

I' say the Dark Phoenix saga is great literature. I'm still not over it :)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman:

I don't see why Homer's Illiad for instance has a plot much more complicated than many X-Men stories?

Achilleus is kind of the first superhero story.

Homer gets credit for being the first and essentially establishing the Hero's Journey, which would be retold in countless future fictions - including almost every comic superhero.

Is the Iliad great by itself? Not really. It's great because of its significance and influence.

PS: I prefer the Odyssey, personally.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JediXMan  Moderator

A hard truth that I'm just going to throw out there:

Too many fans want comic books to be considered literature in order to legitimize their hobby.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicace3 said:
@itouchedtheboat said:

What an asshole.

was a Woman...can women be assholes? LOOL but for real! after that i really had to convince my mom (years of convincing) to let me buy comics again.

Anyone that has an asshole can be an asshole. Wait...then that doesn't make any sense for all of the other insults I use....Forget that last part.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say many people here would have a hard time giving an unbiased response. I don't think this this is a good population sample to get an accurate/mainstream consensus about your question.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say many people here would have a hard time giving an unbiased response. I don't think this this is a good population sample to get an accurate/mainstream consensus about your question.

exactly why i chose this place

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but it depends on the comic. Watchmen IMO qualifies, but not every comic is up to par.