Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mickey-mouse

http://movieweb.com/ronald-reagan-movie-comedy-will-ferrell-dementia/

No Caption Provided

After spending years imitating President George W. Bush on Saturday Night Live and on Broadway, Will Ferrell will be taking on another President. The actor has signed on to star in and produce Reagan, where he'll play U.S. President Ronald Reagan. The script by Mike Rosolio landed on The Black List last year as one of the best unproduced screenplays.

The story is described as a "hilarious political satire" byVariety, following Ronald Reagan as he falls into dementia at the start of his second term, when an ambitious intern is tasked with convincing the commander in chief that he is an actor playing the president in a movie. The script got so much buzz on The Black List that the company put on a live reading in Hollywood last month, with James Brolin reading the title role. The rest of the cast for that one-night-only live read included John Cho, Lena Dunham, Nathan Fillion, Dennis Haysbert, Erinn Hayes, John Michael Higgins, Zachary Knighton, Chris Parnell and Paul Scheer, with Cooper Thornton serving as the narrator.

Will Ferrell is also producing through his Gary Sanchez Productions company, which he runs with Adam McKay. The project doesn't currently have a director in place at this time, but it will be shopped around to studios very soon. It isn't clear when production will begin, but with Will Ferrell attached to star, this project could move forward very quickly.

I actually straight up do not like Reagan and think he is one of the most overrated figures in history. With that said, this **** is disrespectful. How pissed would people be if they made a movie mocking Obama? Like a movie about Obama being a secret Muslim? How about dark comedy where Clinton is sexually harassing women?

Yes these types of jokes get made here and there and spread out in TV, cartoons like Family Guy, etc...But to make entire film on that premises crosses the line IMO. Thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b01137cccc7
deactivated-57b01137cccc7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Reagan wasn't a good president. I don't see how this is disrespectful. They've made fun of plenty of people

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By mickey-mouse

@touka: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think he's overrated, but the point is people would be pissed if they made a live action film mocking a popular democrat president like Clinton or Obama.

I mean they are making fun of the guys dementia....what would be the reaction if they made a live action film about Jimmy Carter's cancer as a comedy...?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reagan is a historical figure. He's dead. Get over it. I dont see what's disrespectful about making a comedy based on him.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lukehero:

But to make entire film on that premises crosses the line IMO. Thoughts?

What the difference exactly? I mean the amount of TV Jokes that have poked fun at Reagan's dementia, Barrack's ethnicity, and Clinton's sexually deviancy is staggering . So bringing that to the big screen shouldn't be no shock to any audience. Seriously you could sewn the shots taken at each president and have 3 movies all together.

There's no line, there's just the fact that jokes are just jokes and reality is reality

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I'm sure it'll be funny and it has pretty good people involved but I'd actually be more interested in seeing this period portrayed in a serious biopic.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

No joke is off limits as long as it's funny.

It's only when the joke is lame that people get sensitive

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more offended that people actually watch anything with Will Ferrell in it. The guy screams half the time in his movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who gives a shit. No one and nothing is off limits when it comes to comedy. They've already made a movie criticizing Obama and I actually own it. Though it isn't a comedy or mocking him. It's a documentary kinda movie. I think people got mad when they released it or something. And I think those two movie ideas are pretty funny too.

This isn't the 90s anymore. There is nothing wrong with this type of stuff. Things like South Park have broken barriers since then. This is not a big deal.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In comedy, everything should be okay or nothing should be.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ferrell backed out of it.

Khaji-Da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Khaji-Da

Reagan is overrated as all hell but making fun of someones sickness isn't to my taste.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

@touka said:

Reagan wasn't a good president. I don't see how this is disrespectful. They've made fun of plenty of people

. . . What did you just say? Reagan had the best tax cuts in modern US history.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_gaff_ said:

Ferrell backed out of it.

No, I hear it wasn't so much that he backed out, but rather that he never approved the project. It was just an idea or something.

Prossor_Kobras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All depends on how it's handled.

QuitHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why so sensitive?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b01137cccc7
deactivated-57b01137cccc7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom said:
@touka said:

He also escalated the Cold War and put us so far into debt with all the military spending. The assassination attempt on him happened for a reason. People were scared and he wasn't helping.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the **** makes a movie about a guy in a terminal illness? This is ****ed up.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who gives a shit. No one and nothing is off limits when it comes to comedy. They've already made a movie criticizing Obama and I actually own it. Though it isn't a comedy or mocking him. It's a documentary kinda movie. I think people got mad when they released it or something. And I think those two movie ideas are pretty funny too.

This isn't the 90s anymore. There is nothing wrong with this type of stuff. Things like South Park have broken barriers since then. This is not a big deal.

Nope. A standup comic making fun of black people or using the N word is off limits.

However, a black stand-up calling whites "crackers" is completely fine.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#20 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

You really don't think that, as the main character of the movie, Will Ferrell would present Reagan as a likeable, sympathetic and charming person as well someone goin through dementia?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it when people get offended by a movie that hasnt even been made yet.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's totally tasteless, but as americans they have every right to make this movie. Of course, it was so controversial that even Will Ferrell quit this movie so I doubt it will actually happen.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@touka said:
@depinhom said:
@touka said:

He also escalated the Cold War and put us so far into debt with all the military spending. The assassination attempt on him happened for a reason. People were scared and he wasn't helping.

Dude, please. That assassination attempt was because some whackjob was trying to impress some celebrity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Actually Louis C.K. has said the n word numerous times in his stand up. Obviously not in a derogatory way or a negative way. But he's said it. And I think Carlin used to say it too.

Comics make fun of black people all the time too.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Pretty much agree with everything @silkyballfro94 has said in this thread so far

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

OP isnt calling for the movie to be cancelled, im not gonna watch it personally

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what was hilarious...the 'Star Wars' project. Billions upon billions spent with no return. Reagan was an actor he did comedy. I really don't see the big deal in it.