Disney's Plagiarism

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jestersmiles

wow, like I need more reason to hate the bastards.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Wolfrazer
mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So because someone is similar to another thing, means that it's a copy?

Wow really? do you really need more evidence than what the video provides? Wow the fanboy in you is strong.

Kimba= Simba

Both deal with the father dying , both are king. Both even use the same image... You know what? frack it, if I really need to explain this to you, you just a closed minded fanboy and I am just wasting precious brain cells.

The video has enough evidence to support it self ,bye.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jestersmiles

@mysticmedivh said:

I'm not surprised.

@Jestersmiles Why else do you hate Disney?

Well it not much as I hate Disney , I just thought Walt Disney was a scumbag racist, so in turn I hate his company. Also I used to be called the little Mermaid when I was small due too my name being Ariel , even though Ariel originally means Lion of god, pun not intended.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jestersmiles: Didn't realize that everyone can't have similar stories, my bad.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Disney must have taken the OP's manhood.

Stupid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stupid1

Everyone rips off from someone - nothing new under the sun

They even rip themselves off

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Similar story , characters , settings, etc, don't give credit to the original creator.

Yeah let not pretend like this is not Plagiarisms. -_-

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay...what's new?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer said:

Similar story , characters , settings, etc, don't give credit to the original creator.

Except Lion King is based off of Hamlet, not Kimba as I linked above, they didn't know about Kimba until the movie was pretty much done.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stupid1: recycling is not in the same league as Plagiarism, this is not even defendable in any light.

Disney must have taken the OP's manhood.

nah, I am not just sheep like most people :P.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh said:

I'm not surprised.

Well it not much as I hate Disney , I just thought Walt Disney was a scumbag racist, so in turn I hate his company.

Except...you know, Walt wasn't racist. The guy was named man of the year by the oldest Jewish organization in the world.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jestersmiles said:
@wolfrazer said:

Except Lion King is based off of Hamlet, not Kimba as I linked above, they didn't know about Kimba until the movie was pretty much done.

I sure there a bunch of Halmet like stories that don't use the same characters , settings, and visual flair. You know Plagiarism. Also Kimba was done when Disney started working on Lion king so please, your argument is weak.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jestersmiles said:
@mysticmedivh said:

I'm not surprised.

Well it not much as I hate Disney , I just thought Walt Disney was a scumbag racist, so in turn I hate his company.

Except...you know, Walt wasn't racist. The guy was named man of the year by the oldest Jewish organization in the world.

expect he was, so there that.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jestersmiles

@wolfrazer: oh what that 1:44 of the video shows a memo From Disney acknowledging KIMBA, weak argument is weak.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jestersmiles: Except again, they didn't know about Kimba, regardless if it was completed or not.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this escalated quickly.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jestersmiles: Except again, they didn't know about Kimba, regardless if it was completed or not.

#17 Edited by Jestersmiles (9181 posts) - 1 minute, 0 seconds ago - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: oh what that 1:44 of the video shows a memo From Disney acknowledging KIMBA, weak argument is weak.

No Caption Provided

Next time Watch the video before talking.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this escalated quickly.

What can I do when they make it so easy for me :D?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolfrazer

@Jestersmiles: That doesn't really say anything, by the time that memo came out, Lion King would have either been done or close to being done, so there wouldn't really be time to say anything and change an entire movie. Plus Roy wasn't involved with making the Lion King.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jestersmiles: That doesn't really say anything, by the time that memo came out, Lion King would have either been done or close to being done, so there wouldn't really be time to say anything and change an entire movie.

oh please I am done here, if you want to do mental gymnastic be my guest, anyone can clearly see Disney rip off Kimba off. Keep living in your own little bubble. BTW Disney started working on the Lion King in 1988 plenty of time for them to know about KIMBA but keep living in your bubble while I actually back my claim with Facts. :D

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jestersmiles: Except they clearly didn't, as I linked above but you keep ignoring it for some reason.

Stupid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stupid1: recycling is not in the same league as Plagiarism, this is not even defendable in any light.

Never said it was

However the point you are making with the Lion King is not an isolated incident

Nearly everything is based on or inspired by something else - even critically acclaimed 'original' works

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jestersmiles

@wolfrazer said:

@Jestersmiles: Except they clearly didn't, as I linked above but you keep ignoring it for some reason.

Yeah like Disney just going to admit to stealing something, yeah that real funny there. bye.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jestersmiles

@stupid1: Yes but when it has exact copies , setting, roles for said characters and visual design to get the story across , I call BS. This is clearly a rip off but I know it's Disney so let give them a pass.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HeroUp2112

@Jestersmiles said:
@wolfrazer said:

So because someone is similar to another thing, means that it's a copy?

Wow really? do you really need more evidence than what the video provides? Wow the fanboy in you is strong.

Kimba= Simba

Both deal with the father dying , both are king. Both even use the same image... You know what? frack it, if I really need to explain this to you, you just a closed minded fanboy and I am just wasting precious brain cells.

The video has enough evidence to support it self ,bye.

They both ripped off Shakespeare (but then they're hardly alone there). One thing that Disney DID do that's fragged the heck up was kill the copyright laws, though. The following is cut and paste from an article:

Enter Steamboat Willy, the first Mickey Mouse cartoon and the first animated short by Walt Disney in 1928. Under the 1909 Copyright scheme, the Mickey Mouse character had copyright protection for 56 years (with the renewal), expiring in 1984. With the impending loss of copyright on it’s mascot, Disney is said to have begun serious lobbying push for changes to the Copyright Act.

In 1976, Congress authorized a major overhaul of the copyright system assuring Disney extended protection. Instead of the maximum of 56 years with extensions, individual authors were granted protection for their life plus an additional 50 years, (which was the norm in Europe). For works authored by corporations, the 1976 legislation also granted a retroactive extension for works published before the new system took effect. The maximum term for already-published works was lengthened from 56 years to 75 years pushing Mickey protection out to 2003. Anything published in 1922 or before was in the public domain. Anything after that may still be under copyright.

With only 5 years left on Mickey Mouse’s copyright term, Congress again changed the duration with the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998. This legislation lengthens copyrights for works created on or after January 1, 1978 to “life of the author plus 70 years,” and extends copyrights for corporate works to 95 years from the year of first publication, or 120 years from the year of creation, whichever expires first. That pushed Mickey’s copyright protection out to 2023.

Regardless...though I'm a big Disney fan...legally, Disney would be obligated to pay royalties to the producers of Kimba (if it would be so found in court that enough similarities exist to prove copyright infringement), even if they knew about the movies and its similarities at any point during the production of The Lion King.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's a difference between similarities, references, and rip-offs. Disney has been the king of obscure rip-offs for a long while. There's way too many parallels between Kimba and The Lion King to be written off as an honest mistake. Roy Disney even acknowledged Kimba in a memo, in 1993.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Like I said , yes both are based on Hamlet but for the Lion King to use the same setting , characters , and visual flair and to say that just coincidence? Yeah I am calling BS on that.

Also , yeah that copyright law thing is awful, just goes to show what crap of a company Disney is.

Stupid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stupid1: Yes but when it has exact copies , setting, roles for said characters and visual design to get the story across , I call BS. This is clearly a rip off but I know it's Disney so let give them a pass.

Never said give them a free pass; what I am saying - if anything at all - is this isn't breaking news

Plagiarism has existed as long as art has

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wolfrazer

@beaconofstrength said:
@wolfrazer said:

There's a difference between similarities, references, and rip-offs. Disney has been the king of obscure rip-offs for a long while. There's way too many parallels between Kimba and The Lion King to be written off as an honest mistake. Roy Disney even acknowledged Kimba in a memo, in 1993.

Again....the movie was already done at that point, trailers were already out in 1993 and Roy didn't even work on the Lion King. If he knew in 1993, there wasn't anything he could do, the movie was pretty much done...unless they were wanting to scrap the entire movie and all that work.

The ones working on LK, didn't know about Kimba till after the fact.

Plus if you're gonna call this movie a rip off, you may as well call many other things rip offs.

IE: Other movies, comics, video games, novels and so on.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jestersmiles

@stupid1 said:
@Jestersmiles said:

Never said give them a free pass; what I am saying - if anything at all - is this isn't breaking news

Plagiarism has existed as long as art has

Fair enough, since I don't follow Disney, this was news to me. Just a other point to rip on that horrible company.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jestersmiles

From cracked.com @beaconofstrength

Even though Disney denies it, it has slipped more than once that The Lion King was initially a remake of Kimba, including this early sketch with Simba colored white that was included in one of the DVD versions:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

The Lion King also borrows scenes and characters like the shaman monkey, Simba's bird friend and the evil comedy relief hyenas.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

but not it's not a rip off xD.