Curing aging – feasibility and desirability

Avatar image for mollydanger2210
MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mortein: you're absurd. Human technology my friend is simply the focused understanding and manipulation of nature and its processes. A computer works because of human understanding of electromagnetism and computerization, all of which are aspects of, you know, nature.

In other words a computer is not unnatural or separate from nature in any single way shape or form. It's existence is utterly a product of nature and completely possible within the confines of how nature works or we could have never of built them. Besides we're late to the show considering that our bodies like all other bodies are biological computers.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I'd love to live forever, but population growth is already a huge problem as it is.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Mortein  Online

@mollydanger2210 said:

@mortein: you're absurd. Human technology my friend is simply the focused understanding and manipulation of nature and its processes. A computer works because of human understanding of electromagnetism and computerization, all of which are aspects of, you know, nature.

In other words a computer is not unnatural or separate from nature in any single way shape or form. It's existence is utterly a product of nature and completely possible within the confines of how nature works or we could have never of built them.

All of that can be said about future technologies which will put aging under comprehensive medical control.

Whether we call something natural or unnatural depends on how we define those terms.

@pipxeroth said:

Honestly I'd love to live forever, but population growth is already a huge problem as it is.

Is population growth creating worse problem than billions of people suffering and dying?

Why couldn't we, after we solve the problem of aging, stop the population growth by temporarily limiting the birth rates, until we increase the carrying capacity of the Earth or until we colonize other planets?

If anything, it would be much easier to control the population after we eliminate aging from the equation. We would not have to worry about demographic winter, and people would be reluctant to object, as it is obvious to everyone why population control is necessary under these conditions, and since it would not be so hard to wait for hundred years to have a child, if you can live for thousands of years.

@nerevarine_11 said:

Humans need to focus on 2 things. Going to other planets asap or fixing the craphole we live on now. No aging or slower aging isn't inherently bad, but how's that gonna work with many more people.

Imagine a scenario in which humans who take anti-aging medicines (which will be almost everyone) are not allowed to have as many kids as they would like to, until we increase the carrying capacity of the Earth and/or until we colonize other planets.

Suddenly investing our resources in ecology and space travel would become far more important for them.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein: Have you heard of Ray Kurzweil's predictions?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Mortein  Online

@mysticmedivh said:

@mortein: Have you heard of Ray Kurzweil's predictions?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah, I've read Singularity is near.

It's awesome book, but seems a bit too far fetched to me. But who knows, he might be right.

I was also reading " How to Create a Mind" but I never finished that book.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein: stopping ageing is a materialist fantasy because matter by its very nature is temporary. Matter grows and then it decays; there's no way around that. We can extend lifespans of bodies and that's great but get that crazy idea of immortal bodies out of your head--it's not going to happen

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where in nature do any of you see immortal bodies? That's right nowhere. Why is that,then? Because Nature can't build immortal bodies. Bodies start off strongly charged, what we call youth, and then gradually reach a peak of maximum electric potential. From that plateau the second half of the growth cycle starts and discharges the body in what we know as old age and then eventually "death" and that is true for every body in nature from humans animals to celestial bodies. Yes, planets grow. I don't care what lamestream academia has to say about it either because they're a bunch of no nothings.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Mortein  Online

@mortein: stopping ageing is a materialist fantasy because matter by its very nature is temporary. Matter grows and then it decays; there's no way around that. We can extend lifespans of bodies and that's great but get that crazy idea of immortal bodies out of your head--it's not going to happen

Where in nature do any of you see immortal bodies? That's right nowhere. Why is that,then? Because Nature can't build immortal bodies. Bodies start off strongly charged, what we call youth, and then gradually reach a peak of maximum electric potential. From that plateau the second half of the growth cycle starts and discharges the body in what we know as old age and then eventually "death" and that is true for every body in nature from humans animals to celestial bodies. Yes, planets grow. I don't care what lamestream academia has to say about it either because they're a bunch of no nothings.

Atoms do not age. They have half life, but their rate of decay remains the same regardless of how old they are, and atoms of iron do not even have a half life.

I would also argue that from the objective prospective all inanimate objects can't age, they just go through continuous changes. Aging is the accumulation of damage, and damage is undesirable change, and inanimate objects can't desire anything. Inanimate objects, like car for example can age only from a prospective of it's usefulness for the humans, basically those changes on the car which undermine its function and aesthetics from the prospective of humans are what we call the aging of the car.

And just like today, with comprehensive maintenance we can have fully functional and aesthetically pleasing 100 years old cars which were built to last only a decade or two, so in the future we should be able, through comprehensive maintenance of our bodies and brains, to stay healthy and free from the diseases of old age, for as long as we keep on comprehensively maintaining them.

Our bodies already have pretty good builtin mechanisms for fixing the damage our body accumulates over time, and that's why we live as long as we do in a first place, but it's not perfect and certain types of damage keep on accumulating without getting fixed and this is what causes the diseases of old age, and it is what kills us. These new therapies are suppose to step in where the evolution stopped and augment our abilities to fix said damage, and thus reach negligible senescence.

It seems that there already are some life forms on Earth with negligible senescence, meaning their risk of death remains the same regardless of how long ago they were born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligible_senescence

Under the current conditions, humans without aging would on average live around 1000 years.

Also aging, aka the accumulation of molecular and cellular damage as a side effect of the normal operations of our body starts before we are even born, you seem to clump aging and growth into same category, like 2 sides of the same coin, while in fact they have nothing to do with each other. The reason why we do not exhibit any effects of aging during the first couple decades of our lives is because our bodies are set up to tolerate certain amount of that damage, and as long as we keep the damage below the threshold level we should be just fine.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By MollyDanger2210

@mortein said:
@mollydanger2210 said:

Atoms do not age. They have half life, but their rate of decay remains the same regardless of how old they are, and atoms of iron do not even have a half life.

I would also argue that from the objective prospective all inanimate objects can't age, they just go through continuous changes. Aging is the accumulation of damage, and damage is undesirable change, and inanimate objects can't desire anything. Inanimate objects, like car for example can age only from a prospective of it's usefulness for the humans, basically those changes on the car which undermine its function and aesthetics from the prospective of humans are what we call the aging of the car.

And just like today, with comprehensive maintenance we can have fully functional and aesthetically pleasing 100 years old cars which were built to last only a decade or two, so in the future we should be able, through comprehensive maintenance of our bodies and brains, to stay healthy and free from the diseases of old age, for as long as we keep on comprehensively maintaining them.

Our bodies already have pretty good builtin mechanisms for fixing the damage our body accumulates over time, and that's why we live as long as we do in a first place, but it's not perfect and certain types of damage keep on accumulating without getting fixed and this is what causes the diseases of old age, and it is what kills us. These new therapies are suppose to step in where the evolution stopped and augment our abilities to fix said damage, and thus reach negligible senescence.

It seems that there already are some life forms on Earth with negligible senescence, meaning their risk of death remains the same regardless of how long ago they were born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligible_senescence

Under the current conditions, humans without aging would on average live around 1000 years.

Also aging, aka the accumulation of molecular and cellular damage as a side effect of the normal operations of our body starts before we are even born, you seem to clump aging and growth into same category, like 2 sides of the same coin, while in fact they have nothing to do with each other. The reason why we do not exhibit any effects of aging during the first couple decades of our lives is because our bodies are set up to tolerate certain amount of that damage, and as long as we keep the damage below the threshold level we should be just fine.

Atoms/elements decay. That's the death principle, the vernacular concerning the use of the term to living and what you consider "non-living" things doesn't concern me in the slightest; the principle is IMMUTABLE. Its LAW.

LIFE -----> DEATH

YOUTH ------> OLD AGE

CHARGE------->DISCHARGE

INHALE------->EXHALE

GRAVITATION-------->RADIATION

IMPLOSION------------>EXPLOSION

GROWTH------->DECAY

CONCENTRATION-------->DECENTRATION

ACCELERATION--------->DECELERATION

Hope you can see the pattern here, because Quackademia certainly hasn't noticed it yet. The Universe is composed simply of two-way, ELECTRIC, SPIRAL (VORTICE) motion. INWARD (CENTRIPETAL) ELECTRIC MOTION creates all of the effect on the LEFT-SIDE of that little chart and OUTWARD (CENTRIFUGAL) ELECTRIC MOTION creates the effect observed on the RIGHT-SIDE of the chart.

YOUR body is simply going through its natural cycle. Youth is the time of MAXIMUM ELECTRIC POTENTIAL (CHARGE) (VITALIZATION) and Old-age is the time MINIMUM ELECTRIC POTENTIAL (DISCHARGE) (DE-VITALIZATION) your body is depolarizing and voiding its electrical motion. Be aware though that in both halves of the cycle, YOUTH and OLD-AGE, the existence of charge and discharge are present.

In youth you are DISCHARGING and dying while you live

and

In old-age you are CHARGING while you die

The distinction of the two arises from the STRENGTH of one motion over the other in each half of the cycle. Your inward and outward breathing is likewise a manifestation of this polarization which you cannot in any way avoid.

Every inward breath is an polarizing breath of "life"

and

Every outward breath is a depolarizing breath of "death"

You manifest the principle again in your wake and sleep cycle. What do you think this symbol is trying to tell you?

No Caption Provided

"Aging is the accumulation of damage, and damage is undesirable change"

This is a completely INEPT explanation of what aging is. It betrays a COMPLETE and TOTAL lack of understanding of what it is observing on every level. It's useless.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Eternal Identity is never created. The IDEA, which man is, is never created. It always retains its dimensionless zero in the cathode of itself. That body, which man thinks of as man, is a moving light-image which is projected from the dimensionless point of man's eternal Self. The projected light is mirage. It is a series of repetitions and reflections projected through invisible cube wave-field mirrors. It has no more reality than cinema bodies have. It has no more knowledge or intelligence than they have. These bodies cannot even move of themselves just as cinema bodies cannot move of themselves. Some day every man must realize that he is MIND ONLY.

What he now thinks of as himself is but Mind-thoughts electrically projected in two seemingly opposite directions in order to provide pressure mirrors of invisible light to act as screens for his light projections. He must learn that his body is but a formed, moving image of his Mind-imaginings. Also, he must learn that there is no death in God's universe, there is naught but perpetual rebirth into an endless repetition of rebirths."

Page 234 "Atomic Suicide?"

by Walter and Lao Russell

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Mortein  Online

@mollydanger2210 said:

Atoms/elements decay. That's the death principle, the vernacular concerning the use of the term to living and what you consider "non-living" things doesn't concern me in the slightest; the principle is IMMUTABLE. Its LAW.

n every level. It's useless.

Atoms decay, but they do not age. Their half life remains the same regardless of how old their are. And atoms of iron do not even have a half life.

What I consider non-living is what people in general consider non-living, I don't have any personal or controversial position on this subject.

LIFE -----> DEATH

YOUTH ------> OLD AGE

CHARGE------->DISCHARGE

INHALE------->EXHALE

GRAVITATION-------->RADIATION

IMPLOSION------------>EXPLOSION

GROWTH------->DECAY

CONCENTRATION-------->DECENTRATION

ACCELERATION--------->DECELERATION

Hope you can see the pattern here, because Quackademia certainly hasn't noticed it yet.

Yeah, that seems to be a direction in which things tend to move, but there is no reason why "LIFE -----> DEATH" couldn't be "LIFE ---------------------------------------------> DEATH", and there's no reason why this arrow couldn't be indefinitely long, and why we couldn't keep on expanding it, basically increasing our expected lifespan by more than one year per year.

Granted, it's unlikely that we'll live infinity long, but that's not a reason to do nothing.

Hope you can see the pattern here, because Quackademia certainly hasn't noticed it yet. The Universe is composed simply of two-way, ELECTRIC, SPIRAL (VORTICE) motion. INWARD (CENTRIPETAL) ELECTRIC MOTION creates all of the effect on the LEFT-SIDE of that little chart and OUTWARD (CENTRIFUGAL) ELECTRIC MOTION creates the effect observed on the RIGHT-SIDE of the chart.

YOUR body is simply going through its natural cycle. Youth is the time of MAXIMUM ELECTRIC POTENTIAL (CHARGE) (VITALIZATION) and Old-age is the time MINIMUM ELECTRIC POTENTIAL (DISCHARGE) (DE-VITALIZATION) your body is depolarizing and voiding its electrical motion. Be aware though that in both halves of the cycle, YOUTH and OLD-AGE, the existence of charge and discharge are present.

In youth you are DISCHARGING and dying while you live

and

In old-age you are CHARGING while you die

The distinction of the two arises from the STRENGTH of one motion over the other in each half of the cycle. Your inward and outward breathing is likewise a manifestation of this polarization which you cannot in any way avoid.

Every inward breath is an polarizing breath of "life"

and

Every outward breath is a depolarizing breath of "death"

You manifest the principle again in your wake and sleep cycle.

Interesting hypothesis. When and how was it tested, and what were the results?

What do you think this symbol is trying to tell you?

No Caption Provided

I think this is ancient Chinese symbol which represents a struggle between two opposite, but complementary forces, which is supposed to be analogous to the way our universe works, or something like that. I'm no expert on these things.

"Aging is the accumulation of damage, and damage is undesirable change"

This is a completely INEPT explanation of what aging is. It betrays a COMPLETE and TOTAL lack of understanding of what it is observing on every level. It's useless.

When I talk about aging, I'm talking about the accumulation of molecular and cellular damage as a side effect of the normal operations of our metabolism, which starts before we are even born. If you think that the word aging better describes some other phenomenon, then I could just use some other word to describe the accumulation of damage while talking to you, like Senescence. Would that work with you?

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein:

"Yeah, that seems to be a direction in which things tend to move, but there is no reason why "LIFE -----> DEATH" couldn't be "LIFE ---------------------------------------------> DEATH", and there's no reason why this arrow couldn't be indefinitely long, and why we couldn't keep on expanding it, basically increasing our expected lifespan by more than one year per year.

Granted, it's unlikely that we'll live infinity long, but that's not a reason to do nothing."

I have already said that you can extend the lifespan of bodies and MOST ASSUREDLY YOU CAN. That is what we should be trying to do utilizing the CORRECT methods but YOU CANNOT HAVE AN IMMORTAL BODY, NOR CAN YOU "CURE" AGING which is the topic of this thread. Aging is not a disease or error to be expunged or corrected; it is LAWFUL Universal process.

"I think this is ancient Chinese symbol which represents a struggle between two opposite, but complementary forces, which is supposed to be analogous to the way our universe works, or something like that. I'm no expert on these things."

The Yin Yang symbol is an ancient Eastern depiction of the universal principle of DUALITY, which is the driving force of this Universe and its backbone, EVERYTHING IS SEX DIVIDED. EVERYTHING IS A POLARITY. The Universe is founded on the principle of

BALANCED INTERCHANGE BETWEEN PAIRS OF OPPOSING OPPOSITES.

MALE-----FEMALE

EMPLOYER----EMPLOYEE

BUYER------SELLER

etc, etc

Just like the previous comment you get the picture.

"Interesting hypothesis. When and how was it tested, and what were the results?"

Its been tested since eternity and has had the same results and continues to have the same results and will ALWAYS have the same results.

But jeez, I wonder what the MAGNETIC FIELD surrounding our bodies means? There's a reason the terms Magnetism and Electricity have been joined into a single word --Electro-magnetism. Where there's one, you're surely going to find the other.

And Fizzicists have SPURNED Electricity if you still haven't noticed yet. So you won't find any research and tests by modern Fizzicists in this capacity.

Gravity does all the work, right? Oh, Oh and your STRONG and WEAK Nuclear forces.

"When I talk about aging, I'm talking about the accumulation of molecular and cellular damage as a side effect of the normal operations of our metabolism, which starts before we are even born. If you think that the word aging better describes some other phenomenon, then I could just use some other word to describe the accumulation of damage while talking to you, like Senescence. Would that work with you?"

Whatever you say.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Mortein  Online
EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

A creature that cannot die from old age that has no environmental obstacles, either.

From the standpoint of the rest of the Universe: this is like the most awful airborne virus gaining immortality.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein: I mean Ray Kurzweil predicting that we'll achieve immortality around the year 2030 thanks to advances in nanotechnology.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By MollyDanger2210

@mortein said:
@mollydanger2210 said:

@mortein:

CORRECT methods

What are correct methods?

Building technologies and living lifestyles that PROMOTE the "life-giving" half of the two-way electric motion cycle.

Right now we're only using ONE HALF of the cycle in our technology. Everything is explosion and combustion, we need IMPLOSION TECHNOLOGY to revitalize the planet and environment we've been devitalizing for decades. Along with better food (non-toxic) yadda, yadda, yadda you get the idea.

Victor Scauberger was one such scientist who understood this. Here's a video about him and his work. Don't let the INSANE, know-nothing transhumanists turn you into a robot to "save you". This is what's going to happen. Transhumanism is going to be sold as humanities ticket to utopia. "Evolution is in our hands now!" blah, blah, blah. How convenient. How about we wait some more so we can actually SEE this evolutionary process take place? No? Figures.

Don't worry about ISIS/ISIL or whatever the hell this makeshift terrorist agency is called; its these Transhumanists you've got to watch.

Here are your EXTREMISTS. Here is your RADICALISM, yes sir.

Bunch of IDEOLOGICAL FANATICS trying to LITERALLY re-engineer and rebuild humanity like some sort of SCIENCE-FICTION story-line and no-one bats an eyelid.

We're in trouble. We are in trouble.

Loading Video...

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Mortein  Online

@mollydanger2210 said:
@mortein said:
@mollydanger2210 said:

@mortein:

CORRECT methods

What are correct methods?

Building technologies

Could you list some technologies which you think could potentially drastically postpone the ill health of old age?

Interesting video.

@mortein: I mean Ray Kurzweil predicting that we'll achieve immortality around the year 2030 thanks to advances in nanotechnology.

Yeah, I'm familiar with all of his prediction.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein: "Could you list some technologies which you think could potentially drastically postpone the ill health of old age?"

First of all OLD AGE is NOT the PRIMARY CAUSAL factor of illness, that is utterly ridiculous which is typical of quakademia.

You do not develop chronic illnesses and degenerative diseases because you're ageing, you develop these conditions through BODY DESTROYING behaviour and habits throughout life; they are not "random" occurrences like quakademia would have you believe, again, more nonsense.

This a cause and effect universe. A body becomes sick through causal factors like: POLLUTION, STRESS(PHYSICAL AND MENTAL), MALNUTRITION,POISONING etc and lo and behold our society IS BOUNTIFULLY ABUNDANT WITH SUCH DESTRUCTIVE FORCES. This is the primary cause of your illness mortein, not old age.

As for technologies that could postpone ageing, I don't believe there are any that are worth your time. The age we live in is an UTTERLY LOST ONE. Spiritually it's dead and scientifically it is bewildered and clueless. Electric Universe Cosmology is considered pseudo-science by mainstream academia -- the topic is fringe.

Electric Universe science is REAL science mortein. It is NATURAL science. It is how this Universe works and the only way it has ever worked and ever will work and our respected scientists are entirely OBLIVIOUS to it or deliberately doing their best to IGNORE it. This is a dilemma, wouldn't you agree?

As you saw from the video Scauberger was LEAGUES ahead of our modern day QUACKS and EGGHEADS POSING as scientists. They are nothing but deceivers. Deceivers of themselves and of the public and they have caused us much needless suffering and wasted time. Imagine where we would be now as a society scientifically, if we had followed Tesla and not Einstein.

Theoretical science is the bane of our society and progress technologically and materially. Until we adopt REAL science mortein there will be no long life for anyone.

THEORETICAL science. The scam was in the title; in plain sight.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Mortein  Online

NEWS TIME:

http://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-highlights/lifespan-machine-stretches-survival-curves-finds-causes-of-aging-aligned/81252298/

@mortein: "Could you list some technologies which you think could potentially drastically postpone the ill health of old age?"

First of all OLD AGE is NOT the PRIMARY CAUSAL factor of illness, that is utterly ridiculous which is typical of quakademia.

You do not develop chronic illnesses and degenerative diseases because you're ageing, you develop these conditions through BODY DESTROYING behaviour and habits throughout life; they are not "random" occurrences like quakademia would have you believe, again, more nonsense.

This a cause and effect universe. A body becomes sick through causal factors like: POLLUTION, STRESS(PHYSICAL AND MENTAL), MALNUTRITION,POISONING etc and lo and behold our society IS BOUNTIFULLY ABUNDANT WITH SUCH DESTRUCTIVE FORCES. This is the primary cause of your illness mortein, not old age.

But that doesn't change much. Whether the accumulated damage in our bodies came through natural metabolic processes of our bodies, or whether it is caused entirely by external forces, the idea of Aubrey De Grey about repairing the damage we do to our bodies throughout the years, should still be valid.

As for technologies that could postpone ageing, I don't believe there are any that are worth your time. The age we live in is an UTTERLY LOST ONE. Spiritually it's dead and scientifically it is bewildered and clueless. Electric Universe Cosmology is considered pseudo-science by mainstream academia -- the topic is fringe.

Electric Universe science is REAL science mortein. It is NATURAL science. It is how this Universe works and the only way it has ever worked and ever will work and our respected scientists are entirely OBLIVIOUS to it or deliberately doing their best to IGNORE it. This is a dilemma, wouldn't you agree?

As you saw from the video Scauberger was LEAGUES ahead of our modern day QUACKS and EGGHEADS POSING as scientists. They are nothing but deceivers. Deceivers of themselves and of the public and they have caused us much needless suffering and wasted time. Imagine where we would be now as a society scientifically, if we had followed Tesla and not Einstein.

Theoretical science is the bane of our society and progress technologically and materially. Until we adopt REAL science mortein there will be no long life for anyone.

Well, idk, I hope you're wrong.
I'll try to investigate thing you're claiming, which books would you recommend me?
Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Mortein  Online

It's seems that now we have a technology for cryopreservation of mammalian brains.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S001122401500245X

This is a great news for space travel, and regarding the subject of this thread, this might be the thing that will enable some of us to reach the post aging age.

And, new links between aging and genes found

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160219111513.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Deleting certain genes could boost lifespans

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11925154/Deleting-genes-could-boost-lifespan-by-60-per-cent-say-scientists.html

Regeneration with stem cells

http://sputniknews.com/science/20160221/1035133002/science-medicine-research-longevity.html

Anti-ageing breakthrough as scientists find enzyme for youthful skin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12173587/Anti-ageing-breakthrough-as-scientists-find-enzyme-for-youthful-skin.html

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

I read this once before and got really excited that billionaires are backing this project. Then i realized people have been working on this problem for 2 million years. Until there is a MAJOR breakthrough its all BS science.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Mortein  Online

Cool stuff:

Harvard geneticist says reversing aging is plausible

Scientists at the Stanford University School of Medicine have developed a new procedure that uses modified messenger RNA to quickly and efficiently increase the length of human telomeres

And more:

Over 10 years of research has led scientists to discover that removing these specific age-related genes can increase lifespan.

Something about some proteins lol:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-04-newly-proteins-aging-illnesses.html

This from March last year was the original story that has gained public attention, and this research has taken great strides since!:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/senolytics-scientists-identify-new-drug-that-slows-the-aging-process-and-could-dramatically-increase-10097438.html

EDIT:

Take a look at the post number 67 in this thread. Elizabeth Parrish, CEO of Bioviva USA Inc. underwent 2 gene therapies, one designed to increase the length of her telomeres and second designed to prevent the loss of muscle mass.

Apparently the experiment was successful

http://bioviva-science.com/2016/04/21/first-gene-therapy-successful-against-human-aging/

Nicotinamide riboside rejuvenates stem cells, allowing better regeneration processes in aged mice

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160428152124.htm#.VyJ8PRtXJYQ.facebook

@avatar_of_green said:

I read this once before and got really excited that billionaires are backing this project. Then i realized people have been working on this problem for 2 million years. Until there is a MAJOR breakthrough its all BS science.

Yeah, but you could have said the same thing about any great technological or scientific achievement over the last few hundred years. Still I respect you position, according to Aubrey De Grey, the first undeniable proof of concept in mouse model should be achieved within a decade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Why would I, even if they somehow come up with a way to stop or slow aging? I don't want to live forever and I kinda like the idea of dying peacefully.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Mortein  Online

@black_panther18 said:

Why would I, even if they somehow come up with a way to stop or slow aging? I don't want to live forever and I kinda like the idea of dying peacefully.

Aging will slowly make you sicker and weaker, it will decrease your mental capacities, weaken your immune system, cause you pain, make you dependable on other people, make you unable to contribute to the society. Aging kills you slowly, most often after decades of suffering. Is this really what you want, to look at your granddaughter as she is wiping your butt, to look at her face and not recognize her. Terrified of this this stranger who's violating your private parts you'll try to escape, running out of the room naked, as the crap is flowing down your leg. You'll run outside, but your muscles will not listen to you, they'll stop working properly and you'll fall, breaking couple of bones, since they became really fragile over the years. You'll never recover from this, and in the end you'll get cancer and die in pain. And no one will even be sad, sure, your family will pretend they miss you, but in reality it will just be a huge relief that you're gone. And just imagine how you'll look like in their memories.

Aging causes diseases such as atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease, cancer, arthritis, cataracts, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and Alzheimer's disease, Sarcopenia etc.

If you really want to die before the age 100, for some odd reason, would it not be better to be young, healthy and fit and then kill yourself?

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:
@black_panther18 said:

Aging will slowly make you sicker and weaker, it will decrease your mental capacities, weaken your immune system, cause you pain, make you dependable on other people, make you unable to contribute to the society. Aging kills you slowly, most often after decades of suffering. Is this really what you want, to look at your granddaughter as she is wiping your butt, to look at her face and not recognize her. Terrified of this this stranger who's violating your private parts you'll try to escape, running out of the room naked, as the crap is flowing down your leg. You'll run outside, but your muscles will not listen to you, they'll stop working properly and you'll fall, breaking couple of bones, since they became really fragile over the years. You'll never recover from this, and in the end you'll get cancer and die in pain. And no one will even be sad, sure, your family will pretend they miss you, but in reality it will just be a huge relief that you're gone. And just imagine how you'll look like in their memories.

Aging causes diseases such as atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease, cancer, arthritis, cataracts, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and Alzheimer's disease, Sarcopenia etc.

If you really want to die before the age 100, for some odd reason, would it not be better to be young, healthy and fit and then kill yourself?

sensationalist, paranoid and obsessive nonsense. I already told you that old age is not the cause of most of this illness; the medical cartel like to PRETEND that it is though to cover-up the real causes of things like cancer and alzheimers disease, which lo and behold even YOUNG CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS are increasingly suffering from. Old age is just a convenient smokescreen to lay all of the blame on.

You need to make your peace with advancing years and death mortein because it's inevitable. This is a CERTAINTY of life and there's no escape for anyone.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:
@black_panther18 said:

sensationalist, paranoid and obsessive nonsense. I already told you that old age is not the cause of most of this illness; the medical cartel like to PRETEND that it is though to cover-up the real causes of things like cancer and alzheimers disease, which lo and behold even YOUNG CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS are increasingly suffering from. Old age is just a convenient smokescreen to lay all of the blame on.

You need to make your peace with advancing years and death mortein because it's inevitable. This is a CERTAINTY of life and there's no escape for anyone.

Someone's a little morbid eh?

Death is inevitable, but old age doesn't necessarily have to be. I for one would much rather stay young until I can say I have lived life to its fullest and am ready to move on. ~100 years isn't enough time. Humans have learned to cope with a short lifespan, but IMO we would be much better off if we didn't have to die until we are actually ready.

I think we just need a little change in perspective here. If old age weren't a thing and everyone eventually died from cancer, would cancer still be considered a disease or would it just be a part of life?

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Mortein  Online

You disagreed with me and the the scientific community regarding the causes of age-related illnesses, and that's fine.

But haven't we reached an agreement, that for whatever reason, either natural aging or unnatural lifestyle and body destroying behavior and habits, our bodies accumulate damage throughout the years, and that this damage eventually causes illnesses?

I doubt I'll live long enough to reach anti-aging technologies. And indefinitely long life is not the same as immortality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eh, any cure for aging would be monetized. Only available to the supremely wealthy and privileged.

MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:
@mollydanger2210 said:

You disagreed with me and the the scientific community regarding the causes of age-related illnesses, and that's fine.

But haven't we reached an agreement, that for whatever reason, either natural aging or unnatural lifestyle and body destroying behavior and habits, our bodies accumulate damage throughout the years, and that this damage eventually causes illnesses?

I'll acquiesce to this, yes. We differ in opinion on just what mainly causes illness and disease but the end result is the same.

I doubt I'll live long enough to reach anti-aging technologies. And indefinitely long life is not the same as immortality.

I don't know how you'll take this but what you need mortein, is RELIGION. And no, I'm not recommending the delusional, dry and conformist ritualism of our modern religions like Christianity or Islam but TRUE scientific and spiritual MYSTICISM. You need to delve into the occult.

Begin with this man: WALTER BOWMAN RUSSELL

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Mortein  Online
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't see aging as a problem. I see it as the natural course of life.

Anyway if this does come to fruition it's probably and purposely only going to be available to the rich.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Mortein  Online

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-new-hormone-treatment-can-reverse-cell-ageing-in-humans

Steroids FTW

No Caption Provided

@dernman said:

I don't see aging as a problem. I see it as the natural course of life.

Getting ripped into shreds by a bear is just as natural way to end a life, yet you would still take precautions to avoid that.

You seem to conflate the word "natural" with the word "good". Are you aware of doing this, and why would you do something like that?

@dernman said:

Anyway if this does come to fruition it's probably and purposely only going to be available to the rich.

Maybe initially, but keep in mind that aging itself is extremely expensive. We spend on average 10 times more money on our health during the last year of our life, than in all the previous years combined. Then there are pensions, for the last few decades of their lives, people are just consuming wealth and are rarely capable of creating it. Then young people are less productive because they have to take care of the elderly people. As long as we are aging we have to constantly produce children, who are also only consuming wealth without creating it for decades, or we have to import huge numbers of immigrants from other cultures (boy did that go well) in order to avoid the demographic winter.

Once these anti-aging therapies become available, it will be economically suicidal for any country not to make it available to everyone old enough to need them.

Turncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make me into an immortal cyborg or get out NERD.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a 100 point scale:

Feasibility: 20-30%

Desirability: 70%

To totally cure aging seems somewhat possible, at least theoretically, but it borders on complete science fiction. Also, I can't be the only one who's worried about the idea of overpopulation. If people stop aging, getting sick, and subsequently dying, do we just stop breeding? I mean, this is all assuming space colonization isn't possible, practical, and/or reliable of course.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

On a 100 point scale:

Feasibility: 20-30%

Desirability: 70%

To totally cure aging seems somewhat possible, at least theoretically, but it borders on complete science fiction. Also, I can't be the only one who's worried about the idea of overpopulation. If people stop aging, getting sick, and subsequently dying, do we just stop breeding? I mean, this is all assuming space colonization isn't possible, practical, and/or reliable of course.

Ehhh, not really. Scientist are starting to more and more understand mechanisms for aging (crosslinking of collagen, waste build, free radicals from mitochondria, telomeres), and are beginning to understand how to stop them. It's just that a lot of factors play in aging, so it's more so about finding out them all.

Anyone heard about the FDA approval of Metformin a few months ago? It's a small step in the right direction.