Avatar image for wolfrazer
#1 Edited by Wolfrazer (13623 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean cause its perfectly fine to show on tv and in comics, fighting, violence, being maimed, killed, tortured, doing drugs, stealing, causing destruction and chaos. But...its not ok for nudity and sex? (I know R rated movies+ and all that but putting those to the side now.) Perhaps I missed something along the way, but to me censorship doesn't make a lick of sense at all.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (21616 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I don't know. They always say sex, masturbation, and all that is natural, and that killing is bad and yet they show it on television.

Avatar image for nlghtcrawler
#3 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2896 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was about the "no cussing" rule on this site. It's pretty ridiculous. I believe 90% of the users are mature enough to say what they want.

Avatar image for jack16ichigo
#4 Posted by jack16ichigo (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I never got the swearing censoring thing,I mean whats the point the second a kid goes to school they'll learn every bad word there is....

Avatar image for batwatch
#5 Posted by BatWatch (5485 posts) - - Show Bio

People should decide for themselves what they want to watch. We don't need any government body overseeing things for us.

Avatar image for wolfrazer
#6 Edited by Wolfrazer (13623 posts) - - Show Bio
@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Yeah I don't know. They always say sex, masturbation, and all that is natural, and that killing is bad and yet they show it on television.

Right? I mean why is being naked a bad thing anyway? People take baths/showers naked...your even born naked.
Avatar image for agent9149
#7 Posted by Agent9149 (3587 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you seen TV lately there is a lot of sex and nudity, they just don't show the appropriate body parts, just like with the violence, they show it but its always with limit

And i kind of like the no cursing rule on internet forums, it makes things much professional and gives it a better feel, go over to other sites where they allow cursing and it just gives a dirty and immature feeling,

Avatar image for jack16ichigo
#8 Posted by jack16ichigo (521 posts) - - Show Bio

always thought it had something to do with religion......not sure though

Avatar image for agent9149
#9 Posted by Agent9149 (3587 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack16ichigo said:

always thought it had something to do with religion......not sure though

in a way yes, it has to do with morals and decency and sometimes religion can be a reason behind a feeling

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
#10 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2501 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate censorship, both in media and in politics and junk. Comics too. Plus nowadays it's pure backwash. They limit "gore and violence" yet they increase sex and pornography. It's disgusting.

I mean, the whole world would be better if it was like the pre-code EC comics titles.

Avatar image for jack16ichigo
#11 Posted by jack16ichigo (521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

@jack16ichigo said:

always thought it had something to do with religion......not sure though

in a way yes, it has to do with morals and decency and sometimes religion can be a reason behind a feeling

Yeah it seems to stem from religion the initial idea of what should and shouldn't been seen.....

Avatar image for mr_ingenuity
#12 Edited by Mr_Ingenuity (11900 posts) - - Show Bio

Why question the rules/law?

Censorship is there to protect users and owner of the product from breaking laws.

Exhibit A)

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for atphantom
#13 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

I mean cause its perfectly fine to show on tv and in comics, fighting, violence, being maimed, killed, tortured, doing drugs, stealing, causing destruction and chaos. But...its not ok for nudity and sex? (I know R rated movies+ and all that but putting those to the side now.) Perhaps I missed something along the way, but to me censorship doesn't make a lick of sense at all.

Violence and bloodbaths, while perhaps morally reprehensible, were never taboos. Sex and nudity were (And for the most part still are). Shaking off taboos is hard for any society to do.

Avatar image for finnvarra
#14 Posted by FinnVarra (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Censorship is pointless. It's just there to make bored housewives and uptight religious folks feel better.

Avatar image for vincent92
#15 Posted by Vincent92 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

it serves a purpose, they is a limit to how much can be shown on tv other forms of media,if someone wants something more mature then there is always HBO@Agent9149 said:

Have you seen TV lately there is a lot of sex and nudity, they just don't show the appropriate body parts, just like with the violence, they show it but its always with limit

And i kind of like the no cursing rule on internet forums, it makes things much professional and gives it a better feel, go over to other sites where they allow cursing and it just gives a dirty and immature feeling,

this^, i pretty much sums it up

Avatar image for imagine_man15
#16 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

I get censorship... to an extent. There are situations where censorship should definitely be applied, but there are times where it gets flat out ridiculous. Just like any good thing, people go overboard with it and turn it into something annoying and often pointless.

Avatar image for chronus
#17 Posted by Chronus (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand the use of censorship to regulate what is considered appropriate, but I don't understand the overreaction certain individuals have towards the use of sexual intercourse or nudity while ignoring the excessive and/or gruesome use of violence.

Avatar image for pooty
#18 Posted by pooty (16236 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree with a lot of these comments. Media violence is not real in any way. You will see people come back to life. You will see a actor die in this movie and back on tv tomorrow. You can explain to a child that violence is not real. that those are actors playing a role. and real life is nothing like the movies. Can you tell a child that penis or vagina is not real? Can you tell a child about to enter puberty that "the doggie style" position is not real? A child watching a porno or simulated sex will be effected much more then if they watched Lord Of The Rings. And parents do a HORRIBLE job supervising their children, think "rating" and restricting media is for the good.

Avatar image for inner_demon
#19 Posted by Inner_Demon (2304 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a social control mechanism.

Avatar image for innervenom123
#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29887 posts) - - Show Bio

Freedom of speech.

Censorship.

^

Scumbag America.