Atheist Churches Coming To A City Near You

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pooty

Atheist are divided about whether this is a good idea. Some atheist says it makes atheism seem like a religion. Some atheist say it's about bringing like minded people together. Here is the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-mega-churches-root-across-us-world-214619648.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It looked like a typical Sunday morning at any mega-church. Several hundred people, including families with small children, packed in for more than an hour of rousing music, an inspirational talk and some quiet reflection. The only thing missing was God.

Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in Great Britain earlier this year. The movement fueled by social media and spearheaded by two prominent British comedians is no joke.

On Sunday, the inaugural Sunday Assembly in Los Angeles attracted several hundred people bound by their belief in non-belief. Similar gatherings in San Diego, Nashville, New York and other U.S. cities have drawn hundreds of atheists seeking the camaraderie of a congregation without religion or ritual.

The founders, British duo Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, are currently on a tongue-in-cheek "40 Dates, 40 Nights" tour around the U.S. and Australia to drum up donations and help launch new Sunday Assemblies. They hope to raise more than $800,000 that will help atheists launch their pop-up congregations around the world. So far, they have raised about $50,000.

They don't bash believers but want to find a new way to meet likeminded people, engage in the community and make their presence more visible in a landscape dominated by faith.

"There was so much about it that I loved, but it's a shame because at the heart of it, it's something I don't believe in," Jones said. "If you think about church, there's very little that's bad. It's singing awesome songs, hearing interesting talks, thinking about improving yourself and helping other people — and doing that in a community with wonderful relationships. What part of that is not to like?"

More info if you click on the link

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

Atheist church? Isn't that an oxymoron?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By SaintWildcard

I dont kno whether to

or

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

INCOMINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, lol

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By SaintWildcard

South Park was right, soon we will have Otters who will evolve and ride ostriches.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I suppose that makes some sense. I hear people sometimes form a kind of community with people from their religious meet up places, so atheists doing the same could work.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

"Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in Great Britain earlier this year. The movement fueled by social media and spearheaded by two prominent British comedians is no joke."

To any other British people, have you ever heard of these comedians? Can they be considered prominent?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Okay this is dumb. First off calling it a church is pretty much just asking for trouble from religious nuts, second one of the only selling points of Atheism is not having to do things like going to church, third the only people who will really get behind this every week are the over zealous Atheists that are just as bad as the religious nuts and they won't do it for a real cause it will just be to rub it in Christian faces

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I...don't know how to respond to this.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

I love the idea, as a matter of fact, soon I will be opening up my own Vegetarian Steak House to cater their events.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@saint_rog_el:

WHY DO YOU HUMANS USE TABLES WHEN YOU HAVE PERFECTLY GOOD BELLEHS!?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Speaking as an atheist, I like the idea of meeting like minded people. Its something I have a fair amount of difficulty doing. But turning a shared ideal into what is essentially a religion seems problematic. Just seems kinda in bad taste.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think it is kind of interesting that they are trying to raise money. Do they pass the plate? I wonder how many of them have mocked religious groups for raising funds.

The very word "church" itself arises from the Scottish term "kirk" and it's cognates which emerge from the Greek term "kyriakon doma" which literally mean's "Lord's (from kyrios) house".

Now I guess through some linguistic gymnastics one could arrive at the place where "kyrios" can simply mean "lord" in a non-Christian sense but it would be ironic that each time the atheists use the term church they are invoking Jesus Christ.

Why not just be original and come up with a completely non-derivative concept for gatherings. Seems pretty obvious that since it emerges from comedians it is loaded with mockery and disdain.

Come on atheists can't you just do your thing and not be so angry all the time?

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Marionettegeist

I think it is kind of interesting that they are trying to raise money. Do they pass the plate? I wonder how many of them have mocked religious groups for raising funds.

The very word "church" itself arises from the Scottish term "kirk" and it's cognates which emerge from the Greek term "kyriakon doma" which literally mean's "Lord's (from kyrios) house".

Now I guess through some linguistic gymnastics one could arrive at the place where "kyrios" can simply mean "lord" in a non-Christian sense but it would be ironic that each time the atheists use the term church they are invoking Jesus Christ.

Why not just be original and come up with a completely non-derivative concept for gatherings. Seems pretty obvious that since it emerges from comedians it is loaded with mockery and disdain.

Come on atheists can't you just do your thing and not be so angry all the time?

I agree with your point (though I find the church idea kind of funny). No need to lump us all together.

I love the idea, as a matter of fact, soon I will be opening up my own Vegetarian Steak House to cater their events.

I'm intrigued. What's the price for caterings?

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Atheism is a belief. A stupid one. :p

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really sure what to make of this to be honest. Why do they have to use the term "atheist churches"?. Could come up with something else.

But I like the idea of non religious people maybe meeting up, especially in places like the US. Where you can be ostracized for simply not being religious.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

...What the f*ck, humanity??? I'm an Atheist and that's the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atheist church? Isn't that an oxymoron?

What this guy said ^. Makes no sense.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By King_Saturn

Atheist Churches ? I don't see how that could really work out. I mean I can see them having Conventions or something... but even then... how does that work. Atheism is nothing more than lack of belief in a God or Gods... it doesn't constitute anything else. So really what these Atheist Churches would have to be are Anti Theist / Pro Science Churches... but all of these other activities that Atheist do outside of there actual disbelief usually falls into one of these categories when they actually discuss Religion and Theism.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dctv3363: No need to lump us all together.

It was intended to be taken tongue-in-cheek.

=)

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: No need to lump us all together.

It was intended to be taken tongue-in-cheek.

=)

Well I assumed as much. No worries.

:)

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mr_ingenuity  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atheist Churches ? I don't see how that could really work out. I mean I can see them having Conventions or something... but even then... how does that work. Atheism is nothing more than lack of belief in a God or Gods... it doesn't constitute anything else. So really what these Atheist Churches would have to be are Anti Theist / Pro Science Churches... but all of these other activities that Atheist do outside of there actual disbelief usually falls into one of these categories when they actually discuss Religion and Theism.

I agree.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a great way to meet other atheists. That's the most important thing about these churches. I could careless what content they discuss within.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sounds like a Science Church.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123

So... a library?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

@dctv3363: Three Hail Marys and a copy of Darwin's "Origin of Species."

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: Three Hail Marys and a copy of Darwin's "Origin of Species."

What if my copies digital?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its gonna be the most flavorless chicken ever

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_stegman  Moderator

@dctv3363: Then you go to Hell...or eternal nothingness...either or.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Marionettegeist

@the_stegman said:

@dctv3363: Then you go to Hell...or eternal nothingness...either or.

*shrugs*

I'm going there either way (one or the other).

Do I still get the food?

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By InnerVenom123

You win the thread.