Are Mediums/Psychics Real?

• 86 results
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are Mediums/Psychics Real? (40 votes)

Absolutely, I know for sure mediums/psychics are legit 13%
They are likely real, but I'm not completely sure 8%
I dont know 23%
They are likely not real 15%
Absolutely not real, they are all frauds 43%

I was just wondering if people believe in psychic phenomenon such as mediums, contacting spirits, and stuff like that.

If you believe these things exist, have you seen proof, or stories that you believe are true? (If so, can you post links to photos, stories, or other evidence?)

• 
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TifaLockhart

They're real. Whether they're legit or not is another question...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know ALL THE ANSWERS OK!! Jeez ask Morgan Freeman...jk. It seems fishy to me assuming you believe in ghosts which I do. But I really don't know.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty much. This is a strange world that we live in.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By willpayton

It just means whether you think that some have actual psychic powers, not necessarily that all have to be legit.

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Blood_Red_Rage

All of that is a bunch of mumbo jumbo, hocus pocus, hogwash, poppycock, balderdash, baloney, claptrap, fiddle faddle, codswallop, tommyrot, flapdoodle, horsefeather, nonsense.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

Sure Mediums exist...They're in between Maximums and Minimums...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

Sure Mediums exist...They're in between Maximums and Minimums...

o_0

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

This thread is over.

cyborgzod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cyborgzod
Loading Video...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Maybe?

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

I can 100% vouch for the legitimacy of at least one psychic.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

I wouldn't count it out. I believe it is impossible to disprove something like that, but as of now I don't believe in it

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which one?

I wouldn't count it out. I believe it is impossible to disprove something like that, but as of now I don't believe in it

I agree that you cant completely disprove that any psychic powers or phenomena exists. But then again, does it even mean anything to say "X cant be disproved"?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: Yeah that statement has some value. Just because there is no evidence yet, doesn't seem something doesn't exist. Maybe you just haven't found evidence yet.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Frauds.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I don't discount anything I can't disprove, or find evidence of it not existing. That being said, I don't necessarily believe it either. I just allow others what they believe even if I can't get on board with it.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18 JediXMan  Moderator

I believe that there are people who are naturally in tune with emotions that other people give off, whether they're conscious of it or not. But supernatural? No, not really.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't prove that it's real and I can't prove that it's fake but if it is fake then those people are the lowest of low..I would put them in the same category as pedophiles....they take these people who have experienced loss and prayed upon those feelings to make money off of them....if someone did that to me and I found out that it was fake then I don't know what I would do

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: Yeah that statement has some value. Just because there is no evidence yet, doesn't seem something doesn't exist. Maybe you just haven't found evidence yet.

Sure, there may be evidence found later, but I still dont see the value of the statement. What does it give you? What use is it?

If I said pink flying elephants (PFEs) cant be proved to not exist... then what? It's pretty much meaningless. I certainly cant use it as any kind of argument for why you should believe in PFEs. And, if two people are arguing over whether PFEs exist, it doesnt shed any light on either side.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't prove that it's real and I can't prove that it's fake but if it is fake then those people are the lowest of low..I would put them in the same category as pedophiles....they take these people who have experienced loss and prayed upon those feelings to make money off of them....if someone did that to me and I found out that it was fake then I don't know what I would do

I was looking through YouTube for videos on this stuff, found this...

Loading Video...

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: I'm honestly not sure. It's probably just to voice what you believe in. "X Can't Be Disproved."

The statement you said isn't used to prove why you should believe in PFEs. It just means that you shouldn't say that PFEs don't exist for sure. I don't think it's ever good to close off the possibility of a belief so I like to keep open minded with the fact that I may be wrong and new things are found all the time

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

I'm a skeptic.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

@mercy_ said:

I'm a skeptic.

I bet you went to a psychic once as a little girl. I bet they told you that you'd become the head of an international agency of spies.

And you were like, "Dude, killer!"

Years later, the I.NTERNATIONAL A.LT A.SSOCIATION welcomes their GRAND MISTRESS to the podium.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

Loading Video...

the worst part is the fact that after he calls them out they continue to lie

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: I'm honestly not sure. It's probably just to voice what you believe in. "X Can't Be Disproved."

The statement you said isn't used to prove why you should believe in PFEs. It just means that you shouldn't say that PFEs don't exist for sure. I don't think it's ever good to close off the possibility of a belief so I like to keep open minded with the fact that I may be wrong and new things are found all the time

Ok, yeah, I see what you're saying. And I agree that you shouldnt close off your mind to possibilities.

I guess for me, I only ever hear that statement in relation to someone trying to argue for something that they already believe, but for which they dont have evidence. Kind of like... "You cant disprove PFEs, therefore my belief in PFEs is just as valid as you not believing in them". And, I think that misses the point of the burden of proof. In other words, if you make a claim (i.e. "PFEs exist") then you have the burden to provide evidence, it's not up to the other person to disprove it.

That's why when someone says "you cant disprove it" I say, yeah I know, but I dont have to. =)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mercy_

@innervenom123: How long did it take you to come up with that one, buddy? Been waiting a while?

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@doomdoomdoom said:

Which one?

Not one in the public eye, it's a person I know. Believe me I thought it was bull and was skeptical every inch of the way and I had about a 3 hour conversation with the person one day after the 3rd or 4th i met them and realized that they were no joke. The way they explained it to me, images just pop up in their head like watching a projector with slides in it. They said they can concentrate on something and kinda guide the slides to show certain things but it's like only changing the category of slides and not narrowing it down to specific things. Needless to say I had about a million questions once I realized this person was for real. This particular person said they can't see the future, they just get images and they a likened it to remote viewing.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

@danhimself said:

the worst part is the fact that after he calls them out they continue to lie

Yeah I wouldnt expect them to fess up, especially on camera.

The worst part is really that they have likely scammed many, many people like this before and probably after. And like you said, many of those people probably experienced the loss of loved ones and honestly believed this psychic was bringing them together again. Exploiting people's grief and loss for profit is down there with the lowest of the low.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

Which one?

Not one in the public eye, it's a person I know. Believe me I thought it was bull and was skeptical every inch of the way and I had about a 3 hour conversation with the person one day after the 3rd or 4th i met them and realized that they were no joke. The way they explained it to me, images just pop up in their head like watching a projector with slides in it. They said they can concentrate on something and kinda guide the slides to show certain things but it's like only changing the category of slides and not narrowing it down to specific things. Needless to say I had about a million questions once I realized this person was for real. This particular person said they can't see the future, they just get images and they a likened it to remote viewing.

So you mean they can see stuff that are currently going on in other places?

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doomdoomdoom said:

@willpayton said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

Which one?

Yes, and things that have already happened. At least that was my understanding.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

@willpayton said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

Which one?

That's pretty interesting. So, I believe that you believe this person is legit, but this makes me wonder... if they really can do this, why not prove it publicly? He/she could easily become rich, just contact James Randi, go prove his/her power, and collect $1 Million. It'd be trivial for a person that can remote view.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doomdoomdoom said:

@willpayton said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

@willpayton said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

Which one?

That's pretty interesting. So, I believe that you believe this person is legit, but this makes me wonder... if they really can do this, why not prove it publicly? He/she could easily become rich, just contact James Randi, go prove his/her power, and collect $1 Million. It'd be trivial for a person that can remote view.

I understand and I'm not trying to convince you. I've never questioned them about the publicity aspect of it I mean the person isn't secretive about it nor do they flaunt it in your face though. They claim(and this I cannot back up, nor am I quite sure If I believe it) that they worked for the US government in the 80's dealing with (cant recall the word they used) missing people of interest. Their(and the team they worked with, other people like them) job was basically keeping tabs on the whereabouts of people the government would want to keep tabs on. Two members of that team turned up dead and the team was disbanded internally. This person I'm speaking of thinks the government is keeping tabs on them because they know what this person can do. My assumption is that they wouldn't want to be on tv about it for that but I don't know. I know it all sounds fishy as hell and it still does but If this person is bull they totally fooled me.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

@willpayton said:

I understand and I'm not trying to convince you. I've never questioned them about the publicity aspect of it I mean the person isn't secretive about it nor do they flaunt it in your face though. They claim(and this I cannot back up, nor am I quite sure If I believe it) that they worked for the US government in the 80's dealing with (cant recall the word they used) missing people of interest. Their(and the team they worked with, other people like them) job was basically keeping tabs on the whereabouts of people the government would want to keep tabs on. Two members of that team turned up dead and the team was disbanded internally. This person I'm speaking of thinks the government is keeping tabs on them because they know what this person can do. My assumption is that they wouldn't want to be on tv about it for that but I don't know. I know it all sounds fishy as hell and it still does but If this person is bull they totally fooled me.

Ah, ok, yeah that makes sense.

But yeah, it sounds fishy. =) I mean, Randi has had his challenge for over 50 years, and guess what? Not a single winner of his money. I've seen many, many videos of people with "powers" and they all fail as soon as they're put to the test. Maybe this person has a legit reason why he wouldnt want to be public, but then if his powers are real then others would certainly have them too. And they're not all hiding from the government, or whatever. It just takes one person to prove it, but so far... not a single one has proved to have real powers.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By russellmania77

Medium fries

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This guy was shown to be a fraud, and is currently in prison for molesting 5 boys.

Loading Video...

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No.

But i'm a bit more openminded at night in the dark

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@willpayton:I hadn't heard of that challenge before but it's an awesome idea. I lol'd at this entry on the applicant list. The person I speak of says there are other people that can do it but he also thinks everyone is capable of it some people just figure it out easily. Trust me I like to punch holes through peoples bull, I consider it a hobby, but I can't find one with him.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By willpayton

I hadn't heard of that challenge before but it's an awesome idea. I lol'd at this entry on the applicant list. The person I speak of says there are other people that can do it but he also thinks everyone is capable of it some people just figure it out easily. Trust me I like to punch holes through peoples bull, I consider it a hobby, but I can't find one with him.

I would love to learn that some psychic-type powers exist. In fact, I'd love to meet this person and ask him stuff. It'd be very easy to convince me that he's legit. I go in the other room, write a number on a piece of paper and put it in my pocket. I come back, he tells me the number. Done! I'm convinced.

But, as much as I'd love to see that happen, I'd bet a very large amount of money that says he cant do it.

I'm curious if he convinced you about his powers through such a demonstration, or just by sounding like he's legit? A lot of people sound like they know what they're talking about when they say crazy stuff, like Bob Lazar talking about when he used to work on alien spacecraft in Area-51, and stuff like that.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really go around calling them frauds. All of them aren't true, but doesn't mean some of them can't be. So as to the question, yes, I think they are. I keep out of their way, they keep out of mine.

@doomdoomdoom said:

Which one?

Patrick Jane. Obviously :D

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: I asked if he could prove it to me and he said he could try. Similar to the number on the paper you mentioned I went into the pantry of the house and touched one thing for a couple minutes and then sat across from him and he kinda just looked at me blankly for a minute or two and then knew what I had touched. At the begining of the first time I really spoke with him for any length I said well what do you see when you look for me in your mind, he told me he sees a cartoon pirate and me crying. I had no idea what that was about. So the next day, I'm talking to my mom about chatting with this guy and I mention the cartoon pirate bit and she thinks about it for a bit and then exclaims "OH MY GOD" and then preceed to tell me about how when I was less then a year old we were out of town at a mall and the university for that town had a huge football game coming up and their mascot which was a pirate was doing a routine in the food court where we were and he came up to my stroller and kind waved at me and I wouldn't stop crying for hours. That was kinda the nail in the coffin for me, I just can't see how he would have known I guess you could go the whole generality route and say I started to look for that situation but I just can't see it.

That video you posted of the dude with the pencil and the phone book at like 10:02 he has that "I've been caught" look. lol

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the begining of the first time I really spoke with him for any length I said well what do you see when you look for me in your mind, he told me he sees a cartoon pirate and me crying. I had no idea what that was about. So the next day, I'm talking to my mom about chatting with this guy and I mention the cartoon pirate bit and she thinks about it for a bit and then exclaims "OH MY GOD" and then preceed to tell me about how when I was less then a year old we were out of town at a mall and the university for that town had a huge football game coming up and their mascot which was a pirate was doing a routine in the food court where we were and he came up to my stroller and kind waved at me and I wouldn't stop crying for hours. That was kinda the nail in the coffin for me, I just can't see how he would have known I guess you could go the whole generality route and say I started to look for that situation but I just can't see it.

Unfortunately that's the kind of evidence that doenst prove anything. The guy said two words and then if you remember something from your life that you think is exactly what he talked about. And heck, in this case that didnt even happened, it had to be your mother and she thought of something. I can literally choose two random words and I bet between you and your mom you can think of something that connects with those. And if not then you'll just forget about it. It's simply a kind of confirmation bias.

If you'd written down a number like 65,819,564 and then he exactly matches it... then that's impressive. If he says "cartoon pirate" and "crying"... that really means nothing.

That video you posted of the dude with the pencil and the phone book at like 10:02 he has that "I've been caught" look. lol

LOL... yeah, that guy was a total fraud, but he apparently got people to believe in him enough to give him a lot of money.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doomdoomdoom said:

At the begining of the first time I really spoke with him for any length I said well what do you see when you look for me in your mind, he told me he sees a cartoon pirate and me crying. I had no idea what that was about. So the next day, I'm talking to my mom about chatting with this guy and I mention the cartoon pirate bit and she thinks about it for a bit and then exclaims "OH MY GOD" and then preceed to tell me about how when I was less then a year old we were out of town at a mall and the university for that town had a huge football game coming up and their mascot which was a pirate was doing a routine in the food court where we were and he came up to my stroller and kind waved at me and I wouldn't stop crying for hours. That was kinda the nail in the coffin for me, I just can't see how he would have known I guess you could go the whole generality route and say I started to look for that situation but I just can't see it.

Unfortunately that's the kind of evidence that doenst prove anything. The guy said two words and then if you remember something from your life that you think is exactly what he talked about. And heck, in this case that didnt even happened, it had to be your mother and she thought of something. I can literally choose two random words and I bet between you and your mom you can think of something that connects with those. And if not then you'll just forget about it. It's simply a kind of confirmation bias.

If you'd written down a number like 65,819,564 and then he exactly matches it... then that's impressive. If he says "cartoon pirate" and "crying"... that really means nothing.

@doomdoomdoom said:

LOL... yeah, that guy was a total fraud, but he apparently got people to believe in him enough to give him a lot of money.

I know it doesn't out right prove it. I don't think it's confirmation bias though because I wasn't hoping he was capable of what I had heard he could do. In fact I sat down with this guy with the agenda of knocking him. To me, the scene of being terrified by a cartoon pirate is to specific to relate to every individual like some odd form of the Barnum effect.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it doesn't out right prove it. I don't think it's confirmation bias though because I wasn't hoping he was capable of what I had heard he could do. In fact I sat down with this guy with the agenda of knocking him. To me, the scene of being terrified by a cartoon pirate is to specific to relate to every individual like some odd form of the Barnum effect.

No, that's true, I think confirmation bias isnt exactly what I was thinking, but I cant remember the right term. I mean that the human brain has a tendency to see patterns, so when someone says something like "clown" and then you remember a clown sometime in your life, you think of that but dont account for the fact that you've seen literally millions (or billions) of things in your life. If he'd said "cartoon rabbit" then you would remember a rabbit that you've seen. It's not like he said "you saw a pirate on your 5th birthday party and he made you cry". That would be a specific claim.

It's basically like prophecies, or the Bible Code. Something happens and then people go searching through these things for matches. Then they think a prediction was made because they find one. Except I never hear of a prediction being made ahead of time by a prophecy or the Bible Code. Only after the fact.

But, anyway, I'm just saying... if you get another chance to give him a test, do the number thing.

Also, simply, anyone who stepped up and proves to have psychic powers would instantly become a worldwide celebrity, rich, and would overturn physics. His name would go down in the history books. But, this hasnt happened, ever. Certainly not in the hundreds of years that we've had modern science. Why not???

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People believe what they want to believe. I would think being a medium is horrible - or even psychic. Reality would be less a concept and the line between it and what is happening in a person's mind would blur substantially.

Who really knows.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My father once said: if someone truly has this ability they would use it to help people. Not to make a profit. And i agree with that.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By willpayton

My father once said: if someone truly has this ability they would use it to help people. Not to make a profit. And i agree with that.

Good point!

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: he's a wise man when he's not annoying the hell out of me :P