Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Edited By The Impersonator
No Caption Provided

Are Horror Films Dying?

Have you ever wonder why horror films are not scary anymore? Either it’s because of a weak script or the fact the plot didn’t drive the viewers’ attention. These days, horror movies are all about making money without having that scare factor. Yes, there are some fans that enjoy less-scary films. But, you would have to ask yourself, “What is a horror movie?”

A horror movie is meant to scare people’s pants off. The tension, and the atmosphere causes this, and the fact that there are either monsters, or killers are out to get the main protagonists and make you wonder whether they will get out alive.

Ever since Alien, The Exorcist, and countless other scary classics, the horror genre grew over the years. There was that horror even in the early years before these films I’ve mentioned. So, what happened now? Why the current movies aren’t that scary at all? Even those movies aren’t scary, would they still be considered as horror?

Not less likely. Any horror movie has that tension, but it didn’t live hype to the scary part, the important part. Most horror movies have some gross moments, yet they weren’t that scary.

If you take a look at Stephen King’s The Shining, it has that creepy, haunting atmosphere regarding the hotel and that the main character, a writer has gone bonkers. Alien also has that scary atmosphere, where in space no one can hear you scream. In The Exorcist, you get to see a demon possessing a child’s body, which send chills to your spine and pray to God to save your soul from this dreadful experience.

These are examples of what made the movies, true horror. Not just some dumb, high-school kids being chased around by a serial killer. Or including dumb jokes, and then things starts to get serious when some, dreadful encounter happens.

My question is this, “Are horror movies dying?” How scary makers can bring the scare factor back to its roots? Without the scare factor, there wouldn’t be a horror movie at all. In case of horror comedies, that’s an exception, but horror movies that lacks lame writing and dialogue, and even the scare factor doesn’t make a horror movie, true horror.

Let me know what you think?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I think some great horror movies came out this year

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

not all horror films need monsters/aliens/demons. I find something that may actually happen/has happened to be far more scary.(last house on the left, hide and seek, hand that rocks the cradle, ghost in the darkness) Original ideas are dwindling and more often than not people ruin remakes. So when it comes to monsters/aliens etc. for me, it's really hit or miss.

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the morphing of society standards over time is what has made horror movies that actually scare someone a delicacy. in the era of alien and the shining (kubricks version), if you were to see someone getting limbs removed or impaled, it would have been extremely shocking. But these days with movies like saw, hostel, etc that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Then we move on to predictability and overdone concepts. How many movies are there about a scary dead child these days? what about a couple getting gutted while being promiscuous? common themes have developed over time and it leaves little to the imagination in a scary movie.

Horror isn't dead, its just evolved with our expectations, and can still catch us off guard.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

No they are fine just like they have always been.

You just have to go out and find them.

A lot of great indie horror films.

~MIB

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every year I see people saying "horror movies are dying" and yet they never do.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By never give up

@m_man said:

Every year I see people saying "horror movies are dying" and yet they never do.

DenzelMoton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Conjuring Insidious ? Horror movies aren't dying they just need the right people to make them

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think they aren't scary anymore because you built up a tolerance.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By panther21

i think the original Poltergeist is scary.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Horror movies will never die especially with low budget companies. Sometimes we get a gem once in a while like Crimson Peak or Krampus. Both were really good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyiena: I think so. It was like watching Tim Burton's nightmare before xmas mixed with National Lampoon's Christmas but a bit darker. I was only disappointed by the Krampus' face. I was expecting a blue goat like face but it wasn't. Definitely check it out. It has a M night shimalyan twist at the end.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

I have never been scared by a horror movie (except for Paranormal Activity). So, I can't say they're less scary, but a lot of them are using tropes over and over that are getting annoying. For example, I just saw The Forest, SO....MANY....JUMPSCARES...

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

I don't even remember the last time I saw a horror movie that had decent visuals, well developed characters, good amounts of subtext, and a conclusion other than "everyone dies while accomplishing nothing".

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Horror is just like any other genre, mostly crap with a few gems tossed in. Some eras just have more gems than others.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: Thanks me and my friend have been excited ever since we saw the previews but didn't know if it was worth buying when released on dvd.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There are great horror films out there you just have to look a bit more to find them.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DarthAznable

Lol no. In fact I'd say more recent ones have gotten higher critical acclaim than the classics. Plus not all classics have aged well at all.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think the original Poltergeist is scary.

It was scary

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I think so. The Era of Comic Books SuperHero movies are upon us. Horror films can't compete...............UNLESS you bring Jason vs Freddy again for the second round THEN maybe LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is kind of weird how they have made Dracula, Wolfman, and Frankenstein more action films now and not so much horror.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No!

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyiena: it's too bad star wars blew it out of the water. They still hav mockingjay part 2 at my theaters. I would rather watch Spectre or Krampus again then either of those movies.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: the sequel should be called Freddy vs Jason on Halloween then we can bring back Tyler mane as Michael myers.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

No and they're not even close to being at risk of dying.

If you no longer enjoy the genre, you're the one who's dying.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all about originality and that's the one thing that I think is hurting the genre. We're getting a lot of the same thing and after a whole it gets old. Then movies like It Follows comes along and it restores my faith in the genre. I think it's far from dying.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By never give up

Watch V/H/S and V/H/S 2

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nite_Nite

Horror films are at a point that comic superhero films will reach one day, well comic in general once heroes are all big screen. The market became heavily saturated and a lot of stuff went straight to video. There are still few great ones like insidious series or the vhs series. That's where these comic movies will be in 30yrs. Remember horror bloomed decades ago. Content gets used up and harder to create while the times change and people move on. We're in the prime of comic film but one day we'll be those geezers looking back going "comic pictures were way better back in the day you know" to the teenagers of 2052.

Edit- those of you that live that long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give3_up: have you seen VHS viral? Check out Exeter it's pretty good.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

I have to say no. There are a lot of bad horror films alright but you just really have to look for the good ones/

@hyiena said:

The first viral film was pretty awesome right?

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm sure they're out there, but I can't think of a horror movie I've actually enjoyed in the last 10 years.

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I think we're in the middle of a horror renaissance. Remember ten years ago when every horror movie that came out was either a passionless remake or a Saw rip off?

This past yearyear alone brought us original and creative horror movies like The Babadook, It Follows, Krampus, and Crimson Peak. It's hard to believe the genre is dying when even the less than good horror movies are actually trying to be original and scary.

If you really think there aren't any good horror movies any more than I think you need to look a little harder.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyiena said:

Nah heard that one was terrible. It's on Netflix though. I shouldn't discriminate against bad horror movies though, there might be something interesting in them.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don`t think that they are dying but the horror genre has reached a decline multiple times now it is beginning to pick up the pace.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horror movies have definitely fallen off. From overused plots, weak acting to just not being scary at all. Outside of the Insidious, Conjuring franchises I haven't seen too many films that actually gave me the chills.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project_worm: Ooooh I get it lol I did the thing where you write last years date instead of the new years.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It been was dying. Horror films will be good again once film makers realize a lot of gore and sex=/=horror.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It been was dying. Horror films will be good again once film makers realize a lot of gore and sex=/=horror.

Good point.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StormKing1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After my first couple finals weeks in college nothing on Earth can scare me again.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any of my horror junkie fellas out there excited for The Witch? That movie looks so damn creepy.

Horror movies have definitely fallen off. From overused plots, weak acting to just not being scary at all. Outside of the Insidious, Conjuring franchises I haven't seen too many films that actually gave me the chills.

Well there lies your problem. Insidious and Conjuring were both good, but you have to search a bit deeper.

One of my favorite horror movies of all time is Kill List, and that was just made in 2011. Waaaay more disturbing than the films you have listed.

Honestly I think we're in the middle of a horror renaissance. Remember ten years ago when every horror movie that came out was either a passionless remake or a Saw rip off?

This past yearyear alone brought us original and creative horror movies like The Babadook, It Follows, Krampus, and Crimson Peak. It's hard to believe the genre is dying when even the less than good horror movies are actually trying to be original and scary.

If you really think there aren't any good horror movies any more than I think you need to look a little harder.

QFT.

And was Crimson Peak really good? I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are some of my favorite films.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By never give up

I'll have to look through my collection for some good films for you OP and others.

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By jumpstart55

There evolving to fit the standards/interest of today's audiences. If you think about it Vampires,Frankenstein,Zombies and Werewolf movies have become more action then horror these days and these are characters that used to rule the movie landscape nearly a century ago. Thats mainly because these characters especially Vampires and werewolfs have become something thats seen as more cool to the general public then scary as opposed to the previous generations before us, who just saw them as scary. This is mainly do to films like Blade,Underworld,Twilight,Van Helsing etc. The Horror lanscape has changed so much, its no longer occupied by movie monsters, like it was in the past. Audinces have fallen in love with these once feared Horror icons. Now its all about haunting films or paranormal films. Which seems to be working for now. I think the main problem though comes from the fact that filmakers are finding it incredibly hard to trick or scare Todays audiences who have had the benefit of having generations of horror movie experience, so were keen on all the tricks. So it takes a special kind of filmmaker these days to scare us. Because as soon they invent a new horror trope Audiences instantly adapt and become aware of their tricks. I think thats why you might being seeing a struggle in terms of consistency from Horror films. And also many filmmakers are just really lazy and rather rely on tired tropes to make a quick buck. Thats another problem there not making all time great horror classics in this era, just cheap thrills that are hot for the moment but after a few years they fall into irrelevancy. But eventually somethings going to stick that will become the premier Horror movie genre and audiences members will flock to it. Or maybe the Horror genre will evolve into something else who knows. Just give it time i guess. But remember movies genres have a tendency to evolve. I mean look at the superhero genre it barley resembles what it used to look like 40 plus years ago. But one thing is certain, a good film, is a good film forever. I still find myself being scared by Alein(1979) even though ive seen it like over a hundred times.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll try to name films 2000 and onwards or les know horror films.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@y2g: I will admit it was a bit rushed and not that well thought out. They could hav made Blofeld out to be Bond's cousin but foster brother was so weak. It reminds of that Dark helmet joke from Spaceballs.

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120: Don't you mean VVitch? ;)

But yeah it looks super creepy. I'll be seeing it for sure. I also think The Boy looks interesting, even though my gut tells me it's going to suck.

As for Crimson Peak, I thought it was good but not as good as Pan's Labyrinth or Devil's Backbone. I thought it was judged unfairly by a lot of people who were expecting an Insidious style scare fest but instead got a supernatural drama. It's more unsettling then it is scary.I knew what it was supposed to be going in so I was not disappointed.