Anyone watching Stranger Things?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dernman

I like it. It's interesting and the 80's vibe top to bottom seems so much better than I've seen it in other places.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Yes I facking love it!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I love the suspense. Usually I just sit back and cynically know what's going to happen but this has really pulled me in. Good acting by everyone also.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Yeah the casting really was on point. I think Millie Brown is the highlight, she puts so much emotion in to Eleven all with barely speaking and when she does it's only to Mike.

One of the things I like the most about Stranger Things is it's a big homage to 80's movies but the creators remember what those movies were actually like and not just how they are perceived now. Like Stand by Me, Poltergeist, Goonies, ET even stuff like Indiana Jones, people see them as fun family friendly movies but there is actually a real darkness to those movies and the kids have some rough edges like kids do in real life. I like that Stranger Things recognises that.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dernman

@jonny_anonymous: One of the things I like the most about Stranger Things is it's a big homage to 80's movies but the creators remember what those movies were actually like and not just how they are perceived now

That's exactly how I felt. It's like being transported in time. It really shines a light on the problem that I found in many of the movies about the 80's. Other creators should watch this and learn something. This is how you do a homage.

Edit: I also like how they didn't just cast people who were really good looking in every role. The got people who look they could live next door.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Yeah this is something Super 8 tried but fell in to the same trap as every other fiction that tried to riff on the 80's (although I like that movie), whereas Stranger Things feels like it's actually of the 80's. I read some good articles on it here if you want: Stranger Things Puts Kids at the Center of Peril—And That's Why It's So Good\What Netflix's 'Stranger Things' Gets Right About Spielberg Kids And '80s Suburbia

Yeah the characters all feel like real people and not just actors (or a bunch of models usually) playing a role. Another thing I like is how they teased out Hopper's motivation throughout the show, first just by little things here and there like comments and his reactions to things and then in flashbacks later on. I thought that was really good.

What do you think of the idea of a second season? I've seen a few people say they would rather have a totally new story and characters but I'm too invested in the ones we have now to just discard them.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dernman

@jonny_anonymous: Thanks. I'll check those sites out. Second season? I'm not totally finished with this one yet so I need to see how they rapped this one up. I can tell you know though. I'm real invested in these characters so I'd would be disappointed if that's it. Whatever they do I hope they don't do what True Detective did and rush a second season because of the praise. I'll hate the wait but the quality is worth it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: What episode are you on now? I don't think they will rush a second season, Netflix are usually pretty good about that with there Originals.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'm watching episode 7 right now. I'll have to save 8 for later tonight.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Cool, let me know what you think of the ending.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Ok so I watched it. I couldn't wait for later. I thought it ended well. I want another season with the cast but they might have hinted that it's over.

At first I was concerned that they tied up all the lose ends but they created some at the end like leaving the cookies, the kids coughing up that thing and his vision of underworld, not to mention what those guys in suits wanted with the sheriff. Thing is I'm not sure that matters. Here is the clue that might suggest it's not going to continue with the cast. Throughout series they made parallels with everything happening to other things that happened. Remember when the kids finished playing D&D at the end. They complained saying "what thats it? It's to short and doesn't make sense" Then listed open things that were left unresolved. I think that was a little meta moment saying thats it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@jonny_anonymous: Ok so I watched it. I couldn't wait for later. I thought it ended well. I want another season with the cast but they might have hinted that it's over.

At first I was concerned that they tied up all the lose ends but they created some at the end like leaving the cookies, the kids coughing up that thing and his vision of underworld, not to mention what those guys in suits wanted with the sheriff. Thing is I'm not sure that matters. Here is the clue that might suggest it's not going to continue with the cast. Throughout series they made parallels with everything happening to other things that happened. Remember when the kids finished playing D&D at the end. They complained saying "what thats it? It's to short and doesn't make sense" Then listed open things that were left unresolved. I think that was a little meta moment saying thats it.

Huh I never thought about that last part, that's a good pull. However I read a few interviews by the directors and they said if a next season gets greenlit it will be the same cast.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

2 minutes into El's scene at the diner and I immediately fell in love with her character.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dernman

@jonny_anonymous said:
@dernman said:

Huh I never thought about that last part, that's a good pull. However I read a few interviews by the directors and they said if a next season gets greenlit it will be the same cast.

From what I've been reading I don't see another season getting not getting greenlit. It's been getting real good press. I'm glad they said that. I was a bit bummed not seeing more of this seasons cast.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@dernman said:

From what I've been reading I don't see another season getting not getting greenlit. It's been getting real good press. I'm glad they said that. I was a bit bummed not seeing more of this seasons cast.

Yeah Netflix would be crazy not to make another, especially when you have guys like Stephen King and Guillermo del Toro praising it.

Yeah one of the directs said this:

When asked where they see the show going and if they envision another season with the same characters, the answer was “yes!”

“The answer is yes and yes. We definitely are hopeful to go several more seasons,” said Levy. “And the plan is to continue with this set of characters while introducing a few critical key new ones next season. So I’ll just say that a lot of the big mysteries get answered at the end of Season 1, but we are very much kind of unearthing new problems and questions that merit future stories and future investigation in the most enjoyable way.”

Btw what did you think of the way the teased out Hopper's backstory?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I thought it was good. It was one of the parallels I was talking about earlier. There is a theory that he use to be a government agent.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Yeah totally! There is definitely more to him than is made known I think. It's implied that after his daughter dies he just kind of gives up being a "big city cop" and just ends up costing as the chief of Hawking's police but once the shit hit's the fan he goes full ninja like he knows exactly what to do.

Who were your favourite characters?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dernman

@jonny_anonymous: hmm that's a hard question. I mean they all stand out in their own way but they blend in so flawlessly that I can't pick.

I'll say this I came around on the sister. I initially didn't like Nancy but she grew on me.

I know one character I did not like but it was planned that way so he did his part. Ted Wheeler because he was so disengaged.

Edit: I was up all night binge watching. I need some sleep bad. heh

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Eleven is definitely my favourite character and I really came around on Steve, I thought he was just going to be your typical douchebag jock but he actually seemed like a charming dude that genuinely cared for Nancy and he only had slightly douchey tendencies made worse by his friends.

Yeah I found myself wondering about Ted Wheeler since he seemed to not give a shit about any of his family and then Mike tells El that his dad always sleeps on his lazyboy. I was wondering if the parents might have an unhappy relationship and then Nancy totally confirms that it's a "together for the kids" deal to Jonathan later on.

Also I think Eleven and Jonathan both did well with their accents, I didn't even know they are both British.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dernman

@jonny_anonymous: I felt the same way about Steve. Though my turn around was done grudgingly. Still if I got my hands on him I'm tying him up and cutting his hair. heh I'm also pulling for Nancy and Jonathan.

I remember seeing Eleven in a couple other things but I don't remember her speaking in a accent other than sounding American. Strange I just looked her up on IMdb but I don't see anything that I remember her from.

Did you notice Dustin picking up Eleven and holding her all by himself? I was kind of shocked as she looks bigger and solid. It had me wondering at movie trickery.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Yeah I feel Nancy sticking with Steve is a more honest outcome rather than going with the storybook ending with Jonathan but I'm sure they will develop that more in the next season.

Not sure I've seen Eleven in anything else. Sire it wasn't just a similar looking actress?

Yeah I was pretty surprised that Dustin could carry her on his own as well and pretty easily. I know she does boxing and MMA on her spare time so she must be pretty solid.

That one bully kid needs to be punched in the face lol.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Its alright.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Oh I agree it was the more believable outcome. Doesn't keep from wishing though. :p

I don't know. She has a pretty unique face.

I did not know that about her. No wonder I kept thinking she could be playing football and the she looked like she could kick the crap out of the other kids.

Yes he does. So does Steve's friend. I found him obnoxious.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not into this genre, so no unfortunately.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Yeah that guy is real good at playing a total shitbag.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I just started watching it yesterday. I even made a Battle thread using Eleven a second ago. It's far from perfect, but it's not bad, that's for sure. It has a strong Twin Peaks vibe to it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and the soundtrack is fandabby. If they don't plan on releasing it I might just buy S U R V I V E's next album in sep.

Loading Video...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat foreshadowing

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmm, i'm going to watch this.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: Seems like it's getting every popular

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol Daredevil is so low

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow Daredevil is getting beat by Voltron

alexash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its sooooo good

cyborgzod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i finished watching it last night. It's pretty good and i like the 80s setting. Kids back then went out and did stuff outside, now kids stare at their phones all day even when they're with their friends.

Avatar image for diarrhea_regatt
Diarrhea_Regatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Diarrhea_Regatt

I just started season 1 last night. It's pretty slow going but it's not bad & that Nancy is a cutie.

I'm on episode 4: The Body would someone give me a spoiler & tell me whats up with the corpse in the quarry.Never mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't finish season 2 seems like a replay of season 1.

Avatar image for diarrhea_regatt
Diarrhea_Regatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright this is actually pretty good. It's like a combination of The Goonies, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial & The X-files which I guess is more or less what they were aiming for & they kinda nailed it.

The_Badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stranger Things is f*cking AWESOME! Definitely my second favorite TV series after GoT. Its really tough to choose a favorite character here, considering most of them are so well developed.