• 64 results
Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

What is a Mecha, one might ask? Why giant, freaking, suped up robots of course! Mainly Japanese, although a few American ones do stand out from what I hear. I've been nutty for Mechas since the original Toonami on Cartoon Network used to play episodes of both Zoids and Gundam Wing. I loved those battle bots then, but sadly left my love when big robots became a passing fad. There was always Transformers, but a dinky 25 foot tall truck shape-shifter is poor replacement to 300 foot tall flying fortresses of steel and wit.

But then come Sentinels from X-Men, specifically the mini-series from a few years back. Iron Giant nostalgia hit me like crazy as I loved the dynamic of a teen kid and his pet Sentinel (who knows, maybe it's Rover 20 years younger.) Add in Power Rangers Dino Thunder re-runs and my nostalgia juices where going nuts.

The kicker?

Jaegers.

Cinematic Gundams vs. Lovecraftian super-beasts.

Holy. Crap.

Pacific Rim, even in teaser form, is going to drive me as insane as The Joker did back in Dark Knight, or Hulk in The Avengers. And do I love me some Gypsy Danger (American Jaeger)! WOO! Go Ameri-bot!

But I'm dying to know....are there any fellow Mechanoids out there? Maybe ones with more anime viewing experience than I do? (since most excellent animes have at least one mecha in it.)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

This guy is! My favorite is Gundam 00

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Present. Gundam Wing is my favorite along with Transformers Prime

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redbird3rdboywonder:

Sweet! Gundam AND Transformers?

I think my brain short circuited a little.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I'm kind of a Mecha fan, I was completely obsessed with Gundam at one point though. Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Gundam 08th MS Team, & Gundam Seed were awesome. Tekkaman Blade or otherwise known to Americans as Teknoman was my favorite cartoon when I was a kid. I don't know if Medabots counts but that was also one of my favorites.Zoids had a pretty good run with me back when Cartoon Network was worth a crap and there was another one on G4 I used to watch, it was called Parallel Duel or something like that and if Gurren Lagann counts, i'm also into that.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro:

Gurren Lagann counts. If my anime/manga nut sister tells me that I should read Gurren Lagan because it has badass robots, than by God it shall be classified under badass robots. (lol)

I'd kill to watch re-runs of Gundam, but they're defunct (or else only show up at 2 in the morning). Although I hear Evangelion is pretty good, so I might might MIGHT look into that.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

@Vance Astro:

Gurren Lagann counts. If my anime/manga nut sister tells me that I should read Gurren Lagan because it has badass robots, than by God it shall be classified under badass robots. (lol)

I'd kill to watch re-runs of Gundam, but they're defunct (or else only show up at 2 in the morning). Although I hear Evangelion is pretty good, so I might might MIGHT look into that.

I never got through Evangelion. I know it's supposed to be an anime classic like DBZ,Gundam,Sailor Moon..I just never got around to seeing all the episodes. I'll probably find a boxset or something. I think the thing that kind of turned me off about it when I was watching it though was the lack of variety of mechs.
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro:

I hear they based it mainly on angels and organics. So they're not mechas in the mechanical sense, but more like giant cyborgs.

Sonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Sonata
  • Gundam 
  • Godannar 
  • Linebarrels of Iron 
  • Gravion  

A few of my favorite mecha animes.
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sonata:

Now I really need to go back and watch more mecha. XD

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Magian

Don't know if I would call myself a mech fan but I have watched several and I liked them.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ComicMan24:

Maybe junior Mecha fan then. I dunno if the hardcore ones are the guys who live their lives dressed up like Bumblebee for SDCC.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magian

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Well, I can assure you, I have never done that lol

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ComicMan24:

I doubt I'd even fit in a Mech's helmet. O.o

Maybe Jaeger/Pacific Rim robot I could squeeze into....

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Magian

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Well the Pacific Rim robots do seem to e remote controlled.

Also can't believe no one has mentioned Megas XLR yet.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By King_Saturn
I used to watch Gundam Wing.
Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: lol Well you can't help but love Transformers Prime. If you haven't watched the series then I strongly advise that you do. As for Gundam Wing well it's a classic of course. Also if you want a site that shows gundam reruns then try toonamiaftermath.com, they show Gundam Wing and some other gundam shows on the schedule

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ssejllenrad

I'm an Animechamaniac... Gundamaniac in general but I do love other stuff as well.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Gundam is easily the best. I remember watching it as a kid. It was soo awesome.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ComicMan24:

Pacific Rim Jaegers are seemingly run by two people; one controls a hemisphere of their suit's brain. Only the Japanese Coyote Tango are single riders.

However, it does seem that the American Jaeger, Gipsy Danger, will be initially run by two, then be forced to run on one person, due to an unspecified event with one of its operators.

As seemingly obvious plot piece it is, if it leads faster to Gipsy Danger beating the ass out of an alien demon beast with a rocket powered 20 odd ton punch to the face, then I'm all in.

_Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By _Legion_

Never watched any of the Gundam series, not a fan of most animes in general. Though I did watch an anime called "Big O" or something like that. Don't remember too much about it. I'm all for Power Ranger's and there mechaawesomenessblergh.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_Legion_:

I hear Big O is an influence in Pacific Rim. So maybe you'll see the bots in that being acted out by the live action CGI ones...?

I'm no fan of anime either. I watched a few back in the day when things where good on Toonami and Jetix, but stopped when even Boomerang stopped showing 80's and 90's cult classic franchises. Gundam has a confusing synopsis, much like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Zoid, but with different reasons, motives and overall different mechas. Gundams are essentially like operating a Sentinel from the inside, but scaled to twice the size of Godzilla. EVA's (evangelions) are cyborgs who are created with infusion of angel blood. Zoids are androids with unique minds that are in the form of animals.

So similar concepts, but unique enough executions so as to not be bland and rehashes.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By danhimself

I've mentioned it in other threads but I'm really excited so I'm posting it in this thread to

I'm getting this for Xmas...really excited!

No Caption Provided
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Magian

@danhimself: Ok, that looks awesome.

_Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By _Legion_
@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Just watched a trailer for Pacific Rim (this is the first I'm hearing about it honestly). I defiantly see some similarities.
Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of anime either.

Never been into Gundam either. Transformers are obviously giant transforming robots from another world but aren't Mecha.

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man

TTGL

DEMONBANE

MAZINGER

super robots ftw

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By danhimself

@ComicMan24: I'm really excited and actually pretty nervous...I've never done any of the models before and I know that whoever made put that model together put in a LOT of work...that's a really high quality airbrush job and I just don't have the money for an airbrush kit....I'm just hoping that mine looks even half as good as that when it's done...it's kind of scary since I don't want to screw up a $300 model kit

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_Legion_:

Then it's intentional. Del Toro himself said so. Something on the lines of a "beautiful poem to the monster genre" or something like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope:

I'd recommend watching Gurren Lagann over reading it, though the manga makes more sense than the Anime the mange isn't finished and it may be a while before it is / if it ever is.

Plus it's a short Anime at only 27 episodes!

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pwok21:

I might, as well as finally watching Soul Eater. Although I'm more curious about Evangelion at the moment, since its the first comparison I hear to Pacific Rim. Plus it has 30 story tall cyborgs. What's not to love about that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope:

The cast.

Seriously, Shinji is awful.

Anywho how was Soul Eater?

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Agent Buttons

I was into the original Mobile Suit Gundam, and G Gundam. I also like playing Cyberbots and Armored Warriors.

PlasticBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By PlasticBag

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: I'm a fan. The only show I've seen with mechas fighting is TTGL and I loved it! Also The Transformers movies is you consider it, but I loved TTGL one of my all time favorite animes.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pwok21:

Idris Elba might hold the film. Anyways, Shinji can't be worse than freaking Shia LeBeouf.

Still haven't seen Soul Eater, but I do love the animation style from what I've seen in clips. Plus Death the Kid is a riot with his symmetry.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By danhimself

has anyone ever purchased a Robot Spirit action figure? if so...how big are they? how much articulation do they have?

I was just looking on Amazon and discovered them...they look awesome but I'm hesitant to buy one

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader:

Wasn't Transformers influenced by mechas? Or else concepts of Japanese mechas? (IDK, the last serious Transformers series I watched was when Beast Wars showed new episodes on TV.)

Although Transformers are aliens, so while mechas don't strictly apply because of the mobile suit functions, it still is key similarities in at least visual designs. Plus some mechas have AI styled like JARVIS in Ironman, so they can in some function have individual control over themselves.

@PlasticBag:

Gurren Laggan I hear is key for mechas. I might end up looking into it (if anything I could see if there are uploaded volumes on individual sites that can be read).

Transformers can be called mechs, or a cousin to mechs, but the only time they allow outside control is in alternative mode (ex. Shia driving Bumblebee). The major differences with them are scale and designs/abilities; Mechas are Kaiju scale, due to the immense travels of space in fast time and increasing damage done to opponents of immense magnitude. The biggest Transformer so far shown may be Grimlock, but as a Cybertronian, Unicron is the biggest due to being the mechanical equivalent of Galactus.

Design wise, new Transformers look like scrap giants. They have to, since they're forced to make a body on whatever resources are available to them in their chosen alt. modes. The G1 cartoons where more mecha design and sturdy, but that was due to visuals chosen (which where the same used for Thundercats and probably SWATkats as well.)

For Mechas like the Jaegers and Gundams, they may be flashy, but overall have a less scrapped body because they essentially where "born" the way they look. They can't change outside of weaponry. Mechas can also fly and travel hyper speeds, as well as use energy devices. Some Transformers can too, but they're small compared to mechs and can only be used effectively against other Cybertronians. You don't see a Megatron pistol shooting a building in half now do you?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: No they weren't influenced by mechas at all.And yes the origins do lie in the toy-lines Microman and Diaclone.It was later when Hasbro acquired the license that they came up with the back-story and created the first range of characters.

Visual design,I am not so sure.I mean Gundam and the original Transformers have very different visual designs.Also Transformers aren't robots,certainly not in the traditional sense of a robot.They think independently do not rely on other organisms to look after them have emotions and desires.Yet they have the appearance of robots.It is accurate to call them robots or alien robots or cybernetic organisms,or living robotic beings but they are a far cry from traditional robots.

Transformers are not mechs and cannot be called such.And alot of the time when humans are inside they are actually driving themselves.I will also let you know that Transformers are capable of travelling through space as well. And you are incorrect there when you say Grimlock is the biggest whilst he might be pretty big he is far from the biggest.There are Transformers that are called combines which are around five separate transformers that form to become one and are alot bigger than your standard Transformer and lets not forget how big an average Transformer is here.Then there are Transformers that can turn into entire cities,yes entire cities,such as Trypticon and Metroplex,there is also a Transformer called Omega Supreme that can turn into a rocket and rocket base.That just the tip of the iceberg.There are numerous Transformers who turn into cities and combine.

When you say the new Transformers I presume you mean the movie versions.Well I disagree I think they look very well designed and the look of the Transformers themselves is a better point to come from the moviverse. Also when they do choose an alt mode their bodies change naturally,this is a key concept to Transformers as they able to change there structure and appearance. They dont have to make a body it just changes that's all.Also they dont look like scrap giants.And as I said above they based the original Transformers from Microman so they where not based off of Mecha.If they do look like anything from Mecha it is purely coincidental.And the G1 TFs look the opposite to Gundam.

Plenty of Transformers use energy devises and other such weapons,Transformers are also capable of travelling at high speeds,and many can also fly.You seem to be underestimating the Transformers destructive capabilities.Megatron has been show to be able to destroy buildings with ease just as many other Transformers have.A Transformers durability and abilities vary depending on the continuity but in many of them Transformers have been shown to be very durable and destructive. Another thing to consider is that Transformers learn and are capable of keeping knowledge just as we are.Take Megatron for example his has over a millennia worth of fighting experience amongst other things.That is one thing many other robots dont have and gives Transformers an edge over them as well not just in terms of story and writing potential but battle skills as well.

I know that wasn't a response to me but most of what you said about Transformers wasn't correct and I didn't want to be misinformed.Plus it has given me an opportunity to talk a bit about Transformers as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope:

You seriously doubt Shinji too much, he surpasses Shia in so many categories of awful.

Soul Eater is on my watch list for when I get some free time, looks like a blast!

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pwok21:

Alright, I'm confused. Is the actor/actress with questionable acting Rinko Kikuchior Shinji? It's freaking stumping me at the moment.

Edit: Now I remember who Shinji is (after all I managed to see the end of Evangelion last night. Left me wondering....wut....at the end of it.) Shinji reminds me of either a badly dubbed Yugioh character or Digimon Digi-Destined. Where all they ever yell is "It's my fault! Please spank me to death now!" or whatever.

Well, at least there's blood, guts, butt and all that in between.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader:

Lol, I don't mind. I don't deny that I stink at Transformers logic and history. Plus, it's always fun to talk nerd to others of the same or similar species. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope:

Are we talking about Evangelion here or Pacific Rim?

I was under the impression that we were talking about Evangelion but I may be confused...

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pwok21:

Mecha genre in general. So anything that's mecha or mecha-like can be part of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope:

I know that but what were we talking about in this recent chain?

_Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By _Legion_

In other news, a game called "Kaiju Combat" is in the works. It's going to implement a few giant robots, though I don't know what really translates as a "Mecha" since Transformers, likely one of the most popular "giant" robot series, doesn't seem to count.

The game developer also said they were gonna try to get the right to very popular giant monsters to put in the game, from Godzilla to Cthulu is on their "waiting/wanting" list. I believe they are trying to get a Gundam into the future/possible DLC roster.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader:

Lol, I don't mind. I don't deny that I stink at Transformers logic and history. Plus, it's always fun to talk nerd to others of the same or similar species. :)

Ha ha okay.It is,I should do it more on here.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pwok21:

Mecha vs. Transformers (similarities and differences)

Then a splash of EVAs and Gundam to spice things up (even though I think EVAs are more related to Big Daddies from Bioshock then true mechas.)

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader:

Do it! Do it! Do it! Maybe we can argue over if EVAs or cyborgs can be classified as mecha, or even ZOIDs for that matter (since they're non-anthro droids with individual mind sets.)

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader:

Do it! Do it! Do it! Maybe we can argue over if EVAs or cyborgs can be classified as mecha, or even ZOIDs for that matter (since they're non-anthro droids with individual mind sets.)

I dont know much about ZOIDS.

I know a fair bit about Transformers so if anyone r has any questions about them I will do my best to answer.

Though Transformers and Mechs are different so I dont know if this is the right thread to discuss it.There is a TF forum too on here.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader:

Eh. I wrote this thread in curiosity over mechas. So while I don't have a problem with using Transformers, IDK about the guys in the other thread. :/