Antonin Scalia

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Just a few hours ago, it was announced that United States Supreme Court Justice, Antonin Scalia had passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. This development might have profound political ramifications between Democrats and Republicans, during an election year, due to the possibility of the Republican lead Senate stalling an Obama appointment until after the Presidential election.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By dngn4774

Nothing new, just more screaming. Republicans might actually get a boost during the National election but neither party is walking away with a unified government.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

Kudos for starting a thread. Nobody else seems to care, but this is a major issue. Scalia's death very well might be as important as the Presidential election.

Call me cynical, but if Obama successfully gets a fifth dedicated liberal Supreme Court Justice, I have a hard time believing they'll block any but the most egregious Constitutional violations.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@batwatch said:

Kudos for starting a thread. Nobody else seems to care, but this is a major issue. Scalia's death very well might be as important as the Presidential election.

Call me cynical, but if Obama successfully gets a fifth dedicated liberal Supreme Court Justice, I have a hard time believing they'll block any but the most egregious Constitutional violations.

We'll, from my view, only the most egregious Title VII violations could get positive court review, with the conservative lean of the court, basically since Title VII existed; the Brown vs Board of Education had a liberal Court. We'd still probably need to amend Title VII and the Worker's Rights Laws (especially in relation to giving job applicants some tangible rights).

But, even though I had to tremble, when I saw him writing for the court in a civil rights/employment case, you couldn't help to like him and understand his position, when you heard him speak. I do know a few cases of anonymous court decision involving Scalia, including the Supreme Court decision that my case inspired that was in favor of government employees filing cases involving Title VII claims.