Animated Movie Month(and a half): How To Train Your Dragon.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By waezi2

CLICK HERE AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR

Man, I wish my ancestors were like the vikings in How To Train Your Dragon.

But they weren’t.

I know a lot of people think of vikings as these badass pirates on steroids. But take it from a Dane; The truth about vikings is that they were just a bunch of guys who sailed around raiding monasteries, killing unarmed priests and stealing sheep while being high on mushrooms. The were basically a glorified street gang with boats.

So screw my ancestors! Let’s just watch movies with the kind of vikings you want, wearing horn helmets and fights dragons!

... Or befriends them;)

No Caption Provided

The movie is about Hiccup who is... well... Ah, what the heck, he’s a wimp! Not a good thing when you are a viking on the island Berserk. And it wouldn't be so bad to be such a wimp if it wasn’t for the fact that Stoick the Vast, the chief of his tripe, the most respected, toughest, bravest, strongest, most excellent warrior and leader who had ever lived... was his dad:( God, that must suck for Hiccup...

But despite his lack of physical strength, Hiccup is stubborn to a fault. He desperately wants to slay a dragon to prove his worth. And one day, possibly more luck than skill, he manage to capture one with a trap he has constructed. Respect is only one knifestab away.

... But he can’t make himself kill the dragon.

No Caption Provided

Like Zootopia, what makes this movie so damn great is the many, MANY details that makes you want to watch the movie over and over again. Just the dragons alone are a ton of fun as a dragon in this movie aren't JUST a big lizard that flies around. In the movie, we see dragons in all sorts of shapes, colors and sizes. Each of them has a unique design. None of them looks slightly the same. Each and every one of them has their own set of skills and abilities. Some shots fire, others gas, and some shots lightning! And the humans are as detailed as well... except for the part about shooting fire and stuff out of their mouth.

And the flight scenes are to DIE for!

It would have been SOOOOOO easy to make this a be-good-to-nature movie about the POOR DRAGONS who the vikings kills... But HTTYD won’t settle for that crud. It tells a great story about how it’s not black and white, that finding a solution that works for both parts (vikings and dragons) requires work and that nature is sometimes not misunderstood. There ARE creatures that are just downright cruel and brutal. And Hiccup’s father Stoic is NOT the bad guy. He is n fact a VERY good guy. He just hates dragons, and who can blame him? As chief, it is his duty to protect his people from these giant monsters. He’s not stupid, he just doesn’t know a better way that slaying them. Again, who can blame him?

I still think Prince Of Egypt is the greatest DreamWorks movie of all time. But How To Train Your Dragon is a CLOSE number 2.

That’s all for now. I’m Waezi2, and thanks for wasting time with me.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 109

Love the movie in spite of the inexplicable Scottish accents. The movie does a great job of setting up its own fantasy universe that has a lot of opportunities to be explored in future movies. Also love that they had the balls make Hiccup an amputee by the end.

Real Vikings were awesome and you know it, show a little pride!

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@black_wreath: Yeah, that ending surprised me. A great detaill.

Eh, I guess they were kinda awesome, but I think rather be proud of my iranian ancestors.