Moon Knight #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Here we go again. Moon Knight has long been one of my all-time favorite characters. His original series back in the 80s had something that was really appealing. You could see the other characters getting more attention given to them and included in the crossovers and events. Moon Knight pretty much just kept to himself. Perhaps this is part of the reason he's seen several series come and go. Moon Knight is back again with a new series by Jeff Lemire and Greg Smallwood. Perhaps this will be the series that really catches on.

A common theme, in some Moon Knight stories, has been Marc Spector's sanity. As a mercenary who was killed in the desert and resurrected by the god Khonshu, Marc embraced the chance to become the costumed vigilante known as Moon Knight. He also created the other non-costumed identities of cabbie Jack Lockley and millionaire Steven Grant. For the average hero, juggling two identities can be tough. Moon Knight was dealing with four, and this could have lead to stress on his sanity.

This new series begins with Marc locked up in an asylum. Could it be everything he (and readers) believed to have happened was all in his head? We've seen Moon Knight deal with hallucinations before, especially in Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev's run. It should be clear that something else is going on. We begin to see little seeds that hint towards a more nefarious situation set up for Marc. The good and the bad thing is we're getting some deep set up in place of the pure Moon Knight action returning readers might have been expecting or hoping for.

Greg Smallwood's art is simply amazing. Having worked on Moon Knight in the last volume, Smallwood returns and has amped up his game. Smallwood's art and Jordie Bellaire's gorgeous colors takes a simple setting and turns it into a phenomenal backdrop. I am overjoyed to see such incredible visuals for a character that means so much to me.

With many past series that have come and gone, Jeff Lemire is giving us a MOON KNIGHT series that stands apart from the rest. There is an abundant amount of mystery and suspense as we try to figure out exactly what is happening and what is real. Greg Smallwood and Jordie Bellaire's art and colors is a dream come true for Moon Knight fans. We have an intriguing set up with breathtaking visuals. This is the series and creative team Moon Knight fans deserve. I have high hopes for this series. I've had my heart broken before after seeing past series come to an end. There is a lot of set up here in place of pure action, but it's important in establishing the tone and direction. I have no idea where we're headed to next but I am thrilled to be along for the ride.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Oh man, I am so excited to read this book.

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm looking forward to reading this. Was it ever announced if the creative team is sticking around for more than one arc?

LooneyMoonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flicker: Yeah, Lemire said he has his story plotted out to at least issue 12. He wants to stay on longer, but that will be determined if the book sells well.

zoso2308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm completely on board for this! But i share the concern that the creative team won't be a long term fixture on this boom which could lead to problems of continuity of tone for this book

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Very excited to read this!

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could be epic!

RockyRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoot had hoped for 5 stars. Gonna read asap tho

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Yeah, pretty hype for this.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@rockyraccoon: It's really really good. Maybe because I love MK so much, I'm being a little harder. It's a great issue but it's setting everything up. It's definitely off to a fantastic start and will only get better.

TheFizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Tony doesn't care for the supposed mental issues Marc Spector either does carry, or is "rumored" to carry very much. But to see how this is plotted and is turning into a beautifully twisted run through someones psyche is amazing. This is a five. I have no idea where they are going with this. But it's fantastic. What an issue. Everyone involved kills it here.

bukdiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tickles my fancy. About time for me to get some exposure to Moon Knight. The only thing I read of his was Bendis' short run.

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have found myself reading a lot of Lemire recently. Yet to be really impressed, although the books he's working on have great artist with them. This story is right up my alley, and Moon Knight is a character he can play with. Looking forward to reading this.

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems very promising..

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought a copy today, looking forward to reading this.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great issue.

SuperValley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Five star issue!! One of my favorite comics this year; no doubt

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice write up Tony! Can't wait to pick this up, it's been such a loooong wait.

nikko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a huge Moon Knight fan. But I'm not sure where they're going with this book. They need to drop this whole schizophrenia thing and go back to basic and a lot rooftop fighting. Moon Knight is one of the coolest characters around. They need to stop this whole stop and restarting books. It does no good for alot characters. They should should continue with the last story and number issue. Fans are going to start getting confused when collecting back issues. Too many restarts just confuses the readers.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 owie  Moderator

I thought it was great. Even not counting the Bendis run, he had a lot of issues in the last series, this could tie in with that very nicely.

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nikko72 said:

I'm a huge Moon Knight fan. But I'm not sure where they're going with this book. They need to drop this whole schizophrenia thing and go back to basic and a lot rooftop fighting. Moon Knight is one of the coolest characters around. They need to stop this whole stop and restarting books. It does no good for alot characters. They should should continue with the last story and number issue. Fans are going to start getting confused when collecting back issues. Too many restarts just confuses the readers.

I tend to agree with you...On the other hand I'm just glad we are getting more Moon Knight finally lol

Maybe someday Marvel will figure out a way to spike sales without having to resort to this new #1 nonsense.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A+ issue

sentienttshirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A nice tidy true issue #1 comic to get started on. Will do. Nice article (stopped reading when I decided to read it tho, never can be too carful with spoilers.)

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StarBrand1

here lemire goes being all average again. This guy needs to stop writing so many books because they are all really suffering. None of them are bad, but none of them are anything to write home about.

QUALITY over quantity lemire, get it through your head, sport.

Ellis's run was, interesting, but a good time. Brian Wood took it and crashed and burned, and now lemire thinks hes being edgy, when in reality hes taking moon knight and making me loathe moon knight comics. I feel like none of these guys taking on MK have ever read a moon knight book before 2014

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the whole premise of this issue, it really entertained me and also caught me off guard with him in the insane asylum thing. I look forward to issue 2

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my first Moon Knight comic that I actually read, and it was interesting. I'll definitely keep reading to see where this goes.

bukdiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My head is throbbing from this issue. So confused and intrigued at the same time.

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome world building with that insane asylum. What a great relaunch for Moon Knight. The art and color are incredible. I gave it an easy 5 star.

SuperValley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nikko72: he has always been schizophrenic. Not in his first two apperances but pretty much 40 years after that

SuperValley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrand1: all the flash backs in the issue were from characters he knew in the 80s comics. Volume 1, bro. You don't know what youre talking about

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

I felt disturbed reading this....I love it cant wait for more.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supervalley: uh, i didnt mention anything about flashbacks. I think its you who is confused.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty psychologically intense first issue. Book of the week for me, very well done.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@nikko72 said:

"Drop the whole schizophrenia thing?" So, get rid of the biggest thing that makes Moon Knight such an interesting character? The thing that always sets him apart from the various other street level guys with tools running around without powers? Seriously, why the hell would that be a good idea?

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is by far the strongest issue of Moon Knight that I've read in so long. I have read almost everything there is when it comes to Moon Knight and I couldn't put my finger on what the last volume was missing, until reading this issue. I guess Warren Ellis' run, then Wood's, and Bunn's were such a welcome reprieve from the garbage that Bendis generated that I missed the most important part--the lack of Marc's supporting cast. And I say Marc, because that's what was also missing, Moon Knight much like Spider-Man was always a book about the man first and the heroics second. While it was really good it was missing something, the human connection that Moench, and even other writers after him instilled in the character. It wasn't just a superhero comic, it had a great supporting cast, which have been absent in every volume since Vengeance of the Moon Knight back in 2010. It was refreshing to see nods to the supporting cast, or perhaps more frightening that, maybe Crawley, Gena, and Marlene are all in this "institution" with Marc.

I do agree that this was not a five star issue, there was too much set up for the overarching story for that. Which is a good thing since it might actually allow for a return to a longer story, rather than episodic one-shots as seen last volume. Now don't get me wrong the set up was brilliant, and left me wishing it was next month and time for the next issue already. If indeed things go as they seem they will, and this volume digs into Set and Egyptian mythology again then I'm sold, I'm already hooked, and in it for the long haul on this one, that would just be icing on the cake.

It is clear that Lemire, unlike his predecessors (no matter how good Ellis' run was) has actually read up on Moon Knight before writing, the nods to volume 1 under Moench's pen were great, if brief. I sincerely hope that Lemire does go deep here and bring out the best in Moon Knight with this run. Having just gone back and re-read volume 1 I have to say, to anyone who is confused by this issue, or doesn't understand, go and read that and then come back, you'll enjoy this one so much more.

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great 1 issue! What others have said; REALLY not sure what's real, can't wait to see where this goes. It does really seem he is trapped in some sort of mental prison. This keeps true to a key element I always loved about Moon Knight, a man set up against strange/extraordinary circumstances, situations so weird and bizarre if he tried to share with people they would just think he's just crazy and not believe him lol