inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Miles is confronted by what seems like Peter Parker, who is apparently back from the dead. He discusses the situation with Ganke and whether or not he should tell Gwen. Meanwhile, the two Spider-Men are robbing things that belong to Tony Stark.

Storywise, it's pretty basic, but this issue does a fine job of keeping fans talking about what's actually going on in this book. There's a lot of mystery between who the two spider-men are and whether or not Peter Parker is actually alive or whether this is a clone. Writer Brian Michael Bendis leads the reader to come to their own conclusions, which is easily the best part of this issue.

The first half of this book is like a reintroduction to who Peter Parker is and what has changed about him. He's less understanding a bit angry, which leads Miles to believe that he's a clone. Peter has a problem with Miles picking up the mantle. That's very interesting that Bendis explored this area and had the two characters talk about this. It's not something you'd see normally in comics: two characters really getting into every that's happened in this world over a large chunk of this book.

Obviously, as always, the art of David Marquez and the colors of Justin Ponsor is nothing short of extraordinary. These two nail it out of the park, once again, but one thing that's new and noticeable is the backgrounds during the Peter and Miles scenes. Certain panels have a clouded scene behind the characters, which is a great addition to the scene, instead of leaving the background blank.

The Bad

Not a lot happens here. You can sum up the whole issue in a couple sentences. While everything in this issue is very enjoyable, very little actually happens in issue.

The Verdict

MILES MORALES: THE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #2 is a very solid issue that does a good job at building up the new series and potential story lines; however, it does so at an extremely slow pace. It's still a good issue and leaves readers not only wanting more but questioning the world Bendis has built up. The problem is that overall, the reader will feel like there wasn't much going on here. Regardless, it's still a great read and building to something awesome. Overall, I highly recommend it.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ganke and his conversations with Miles are probably one of the best things "Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man" has to offer and this issue is yet another proof of that.

I love the weird relationship he has with Gwen ('if I ask her to keep it to herself she'll do') and his reaction after knowing that Jessica Drew is Peter's clone.

Sure not much happens in this issue but the writing makes it almost perfect.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really hope "Peter" is not who he claims to be

It would, to me, detract on the impact the Death of Spider-Man had on the ultimate universe. Characters die and come back all the time, and for Spidey, we've seen that happen in the mainstream universe. I would like to see a more realistic story for this one

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3 inferiorego  Staff

Ganke and his conversations with Miles are probably one of the best things "Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man" has to offer and this issue is yet another proof of that.

I love the weird relationship he has with Gwen ('if I ask her to keep it to herself she'll do') and his reaction after knowing that Jessica Drew is Peter's clone.

Sure not much happens in this issue but the writing makes it almost perfect.

That scene between them is my favorite moment from comics this week

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crackdown said:

It would, to me, detract on the impact the Death of Spider-Man had on the ultimate universe. Characters die and come back all the time, and for Spidey, we've seen that happen in the mainstream universe. I would like to see a more realistic story for this one

Also, where was he when Galactus attacked? Why didn't he helped out? And it's been more than a year since he died, why didn't he called her aunt to tell her he was alive? If this is the real Peter, Peter Parker is a total douchebag in the UU

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is it is peter it shows that he needs his friends to keep him sane

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I LOVE this book. The writing and art are superb! Does anyone else think the "Spider-Ninjas" look an awful lot like Ultimate Beetle? I feel like there's a connection especially since the shipment on the boat mentions Latveria. This makes me believe the symbiote from Ultimate Eddie Brock is on there, a plot point from back in the Venom War arc.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the reason I love the Ultimate Universe.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if this is the Peter Parker that's back that we're used to, but I have a feeling he'll be back this year at some point because of a couple reasons. First off, Miles is going to be in Bendis X-Men books. If he stays there, who knows. 2nd. The name of the new book is called Miles Morales Spider-Man. What's wrong with just Ultimate Spider-Man? Why? Because Peter Parker is, and always be Spider-Man, so when he returns you can sure as hell bet he'll get the book that's out there called "Ultimate Spider-Man". Miles isn't going anywhere. I love him, you love him, we all love him. Still tho. It makes sense in those regards. As Soon as I saw Peter show up in last months issue, I was like "I knew it." There will be a tale leading up to why he's back, but come on. Norman is back, Peter will be too............then Harry.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tximinoman

I don't know if this is the Peter Parker that's back that we're used to, but I have a feeling he'll be back this year at some point because of a couple reasons. First off, Miles is going to be in Bendis X-Men books. If he stays there, who knows. 2nd. The name of the new book is called Miles Morales Spider-Man. What's wrong with just Ultimate Spider-Man? Why? Because Peter Parker is, and always be Spider-Man, so when he returns you can sure as hell bet he'll get the book that's out there called "Ultimate Spider-Man". Miles isn't going anywhere. I love him, you love him, we all love him. Still tho. It makes sense in those regards. As Soon as I saw Peter show up in last months issue, I was like "I knew it." There will be a tale leading up to why he's back, but come on. Norman is back, Peter will be too............then Harry.

it's not called Miles Morales Spider-Man, it's called Miles Morales: THE Ultimate Spider-Man as in, "yeah, Peter is and always will be the Amazing Spider-Man but the ULTIMATE one is Miles". Bringing Peter back would be an error at so many levels I can even start explaining it. I know some people just can't live with the idea of a Spider-Man that's not Peter Parker, I get that, but you need to move on, guys. Miles is an awesome character who has potential to move Spider-Man comics in awesome new directions. We need more of him and his original and never seen before cast (Ganke is just the best and even though his girlfriend is Katie Bishop this Katie and her 616 counterpart have nothing in common) and, hopefully, after this arc we'll see some original villains. We need new stories, new heroes and villains. I'm tired of reading about Peter Parker fighting Norman Osborn (I hate that Osborn's back BTW), I want somebody else to fight someone diferent.

I know I'm a minority here, but for me Miles Morales is the best thing that has happened to the Spider-Man books in the last decade or so. Bringing Peter back at this point would be the worst mistake Marvel could do. It will be worst than One More Day.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

The Bad

Not a lot happens here. You can sum up the whole issue in a couple sentences. While everything in this issue is very enjoyable, very little actually happens in issue.

Typical Bendis negative.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tximinoman: I agree I'm so glad they introduced Miles he's one of my favourite characters in all of comics!

This Peter Parker is an A-grade douchebag! Sorta makes me think he'll be the Ultimate Us Scarlet Spider

Uchitaketo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tximinoman: Yeah, I've tried caring about Miles. He's just really bland. Give me my Peter back.

Lee_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking this dude will be the only perfect clone from the Ultimate Clone Saga that never escaped, thoughts?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

while I did love this issue I do have to agree that nothing happened...like at all...this is one of those books that I really feel needs to be bimonthly but unfortunately Bendis has too much on his plate already...I really wish that this was bimonthly just so I didn't have to wait a whole month before the next issue...this past month between issues 1 and 2 was damn near unbearable and I was going into the new books thread every week hoping that another issue of this was coming out

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Man I love this series. Ganke's conversation with Miles was great.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By w0nd

@tximinoman said:

@crackdown said:

Also, where was he when Galactus attacked? Why didn't he helped out? And it's been more than a year since he died, why didn't he called her aunt to tell her he was alive? If this is the real Peter, Peter Parker is a total douchebag in the UU

he said if she saw him alive she it wouldn't be fair to her, and sooner or later she would have a heart attack due to all the stress he brought her. I seriously doubt it's him though, seems like lazy writing to just randomly bring him back now. "I can't do this anyone or announce im alive....but give me my web shooters please so i can go swing around and announce im alive"

i know characters come back from the dead all the time, but bringing him back with in 30 issues is kind of odd. Like i said before peters "dad" returned as well at one point and he turned out to be a clone.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By kidchipotle

Nothing happened in this issue and yet it might have just been my favorite issue of the week despite books like Superior Foes, Moon Knight, and Original Sin being released this week also. GO BENDIS!

Subject87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Peter comes back I'll read again, i have no interest in another spider-man

Egie_Asemota1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subject87: then read amazing spider-man, watch the spiderman movies, cartoons, play the games and continue to enjoy mediocrity with your man-child, peter parker. The rest of us want creativity and actual worth-while stories and this book gives us that.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

As much as I love Miles if I was the Peter in this issue I would have punched him out as well. I mean he really did ask jim nicely a hundred times.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

he said if she saw him alive she it wouldn't be fair to her, and sooner or later she would have a heart attack due to all the stress he brought her. I seriously doubt it's him though, seems like lazy writing to just randomly bring him back now. "I can't do this anyone or announce im alive....but give me my web shooters please so i can go swing around and announce im alive"

i know characters come back from the dead all the time, but bringing him back with in 30 issues is kind of odd. Like i said before peters "dad" returned as well at one point and he turned out to be a clone.

Incidentally, didn't Peter build his webshooters? I know he did in 616, but did he in the Ultimate Universe? And if so, that's a pretty big knock against him being the real Peter: If it was this big a secret about his survival, there's no way he'd sneak in and take something he was easily capable of rebuilding. Unless of course, he doesn't know how to build them, but intends to take the place of Spider-Man all the same.

Also: Spider-Sense. 'Peter' got caught redhanded. Peter. The guy whose Spider-Sense is (in 616) sensitive enough to warn him if someone might see him unmask. He should have detected Miles long before Miles saw him.

All in all, that stuff on top of him not contacting anyone, and general demeanor, the odds as of this moment are NOT looking good for this being the real Pete. The only thing he's got in his favor is his strength (easily replicatable), his face (clone), and the fact that he DID try to talk to Miles, extensively, before taking the webshooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have no idea how Peter was before he died in this universe, but he came off a little immature here and based on Mary Jane's demeanor in the previous issue, I would have thought he wouldn't have. Plus, the expectation he would have in getting things returned to him is a little unfair, considering how shocking him being alive would be to anyone, let alone a young kid who is now Spider-Man.

Also, this trepidation of not telling Aunt May is off-putting. Hasn't this version been through hell and back and is pretty resilient? Why the concern of her supposedly "suffering" if told Peter might be alive? These are young kids, teenagers, and she's an adult. It appears they've been through quite a lot but I suspect Aunt May can handle this new development just fine. This includes Mary Jane as well.

I am still new to this book and this Ultimate Universe so my bar is set lower to give some room, but even so, I am really enjoying this title just for the interaction between characters alone. Funny and serious and pretty realistic when it comes to reactions from people. Not everyone take things in stride and not everyone is as cool as Ganke, haha. He's becoming a favourite, quickly.