• 94 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

This past week, a whole slew of new Marvel books were announced for the post-SECRET WARS Marvel Universe, and there's a ton of familiar titles returning and another ton of cool-looking, brand new series coming as well. Although we're months away from seeing any of these books, we thought we'd take a look at some brand new series we're actually really excited to read. It was tough to narrow it all down, since there were a ton new series that seem pretty cool, but got it squared down to seven. Check them out and why we think it's worth your time.

Check out what series we're excited are returning here!

CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS

No Caption Provided

A comic based off of a video game, let alone a game from a mobile device, doesn't sound like the coolest idea. However, Contest of Champions is a pretty cool game with a pretty good story. It's addictive and we have high hopes that the new comic series will follow suit.

Al Ewing is writing this book and Paco Medina is doing the art. What seems really cool about it is that it'll most likely be a stand-alone story, as heroes fight heroes, with the Collector behind it all. Basically, there's some high hopes for this book because it sounds like a fun, out of continuity book. Now, if you excuse me, I have a three-star Unstoppable Colossus to rank up.

DOCTOR STRANGE

No Caption Provided

When is the last time we had a Doctor Strange on-going series? It has been 8 years since we saw Doctor Strange star in anything worth note (DOCTOR STRANGE THE OATH) and it's been since 1996 since he starred in a successful on-going series.

From what we've seen, Strange has himself a cool looking ax, and even cooler, Jason Aaron, who has done wonders on THOR, is writing this book along with Chris Bachalo. Also, because the Doctor Strange movie is coming out, it's cool to see this character get a big push once again.

KARNAK

No Caption Provided

A Karnak solo book? The Marvel Inhumans push moves forward as a member of the Inhuman royal family gets his own book. Karnak is a highly under-rated character and one that hasn't had the spotlight on him too many times in the past.

The big draw for this book is that Warren Ellis is writing the book. Ellis did a great job on MOON KNIGHT and really breathed new life into that character, and Ellis is just an all-around awesome writer. Joining him is artist Gerardo Zaffino, who did some work for the IDW book WINTER WORLD. If what we've seen from that is any indication of Zaffino's work on KARNAK, then this new book is going to be dark, and that's a pretty cool tone for an Inhuman book.

OLD MAN LOGAN

No Caption Provided

Mark Millar and Steve McNiven's "Old Man Logan" story line is a fan favorite and normally, when new new creative teams jump onto fan favorite characters, there's a bit of outrage. Don't expect that to happen here though.

The team that is currently on the OLD MAN LOGAN SECRET WARS book, will be bringing this character into the new Marvel universe. Writer Jeff Lemire, artist Andrea Sorrentino, and colorist Marcelo Maiolo will be taking on Logan in this new book, and what's pretty interesting about the image released is that Miles Morales is on it. We all know Miles will have his own series and become an Avenger, but will he be teaming up with Logan? If so, awesome. If not, still awesome because Old Man Logan has his own book.

SQUADRON SUPREME

No Caption Provided

When news came down that the last volume of FANTASTIC FOUR was ending, it was quite the bummer. The creative team behind the book really did something cool with the volume. Anyway, enough reminiscing, let's talk Squadron Supreme, which was a pretty cool addition to SECRET WARS with their debut recently in their first issue.

We're getting a bunch of different characters from different universes and who better to take this team on than the creative team behind FANTASTIC FOUR: James Robinson and Leonard Kirk. This is another one of those books where fans will really get excited about the creative team, bringing some familiar faces into the new Marvel Universe.

EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN

No Caption Provided

There's a new X-Men series coming to the Marvel Universe? But what about all those theories that Marvel was phasing out the team? Things are going to get a little weird here, and we'll explain why in a minute. Believe it or not, we're getting another Jeff Lemire written book, and this time, he's teaming up with Humberto Ramos.

Here's the weird part. There's a pretty solid team of characters here, including Iceman, Colossus, Storm, Magik, and Nightcrawler. Those are all some familiar faces, but in addition to them, is Old Man Logan and a very young looking Jean Grey... a Jean that never went back to the past? Uh oh. The line up and creative team have us pretty pumped about the future of this book.

VENOM: SPACEKNIGHT

No Caption Provided

The only Spaceknight from Marvel we're familiar with is Rom, so why is Venom a Spaceknight now? We're assuming this is still Flash Thompson, who has gone through some major changes in the past few years, including becoming a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy and finding out where the symbiote originated from.

Robbie Thompson is writing this book and working alongside Ariel Olivetti, who does some amazing artwork for this promotional piece here. Could these alien beasts chasing Venom be the new and improved Dire Wraiths, the one-time enemy of Rom? This is a whole new direction for Venom, and space may the place for this character to thrive.

And that's what we're most excited for. Let us know what you can't wait to read in the comment section below and come back later today when we discuss the returning series we're pumped for!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I think Howling Commandos of SHIELD could be a great book. It might scratch that itch that DC's Frankenstein left. Good to see Frank Barberie and Brent Schoonover on an ongoing. Both have done a lot at Boom and Dynamite, an issue here and there for Marvel and DC.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MAZAHS117

ALL NEW...ALL DIFFERENT...ALL DAY....ALL CRAZY....ALL HOT.....

lol

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Very excited for Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. Probably the closest we are going to get to an on going werewolf by night book, plus I dig all the other characters , looks like it should be a fun book. I am also excited to see how the Scarlet Witch book is going to be.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So far, the only announcements that have me interested are:

1. Uncanny Inhumans
  2. Daredevil
  3. Karnak
  4. Squadran Supreme
  5. Nova - If that is Rich Rider in the picture with Sam.
mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how is X-Men 'All Different'?! roughly the same old characters from the last 30-odd years! why don't they do something REALLY all-new and all-different, liek they did back in Giant Size 1, and introduce some NEW X-Men?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Maybe Karnak will finally be expoused to the Terrigen Mist.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all in for

Ms. Marvel

Extraordinary X-Men

Guardians of the Galaxy

Venom: Spaceknight

All-New X-Men

All New Wolverine

All New Avengers

All New Captain Marvel

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want Darkhawk to get back out into space with Venom. Also I'm interested in this new Ultimates book because it features Blue Marvel. Plus Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Spectrum.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venom - like venom will give it a try

carnage - like carnage will give ut a try

amazing spider-man - definite purchase

spider man 2099 - definite purchase

Old man logan - definite purchase

extraordinary x-men - trying it out

daredevil - trying it out

ant-man - definite purchase

howard the duck - definite purchase

spider gwen - im 50/50 on it... like her not happy it's starting over again

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@longbowhunter: I agree. There's also going to be something really cool added to it that intrigues me majorly.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Nova - If that is Rich Rider in the picture with Sam.

I am guessing it's Sam's father. With the whole "family business" tagline.

But ugh, what I would give for Richard Rider to come back, I miss him so much

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Since I only read Marvel on Marvel Unlimited now, I can try every single title they bring out. Just gotta wait. I'm patient.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to repost my list from the other article because holy crap, Marvel has some awesome stuff going on. Great books with a killer lineup of creators, I don't know how you could simply pick 7.

• All-New All-Different Avengers - W:Mark Waid A: Adam Kubert
  • Amazing Spider-Man – W: Dan Slott A: Giuseppe Camuncoli
  • Ant-Man – W: Nick Spencer A: Ramon Rosanas
  • Captain Marvel – W: Tara Butters & Michele Fazekas A: Kris Anka
  • Daredevil – W: Charles Soule A: Ron Garney
  • Deadpool – W: Gerry Duggan A: Mike Hawthorne
  • Doctor Strange – W: Jason Aaron A: Chris Bacholo
  • Hawkeye – W: Jeff Lemire A: Ramon Perez
  • Illumaniti – W: Josh Williamson A: Shawn Crystal
  • Invincible Iron Man – W: Brian Michael Bendis A: David Marquez
  • Karnak – W: Warren Ellis A: Gerardo Zaffino
  • The Mighty Thor – W: Jason Aaron A: Russell Dauterman
  • Old Man Logan – W: Jeff Lemire A: Andrea Sorrentino
  • Sam Wilson, Captain America – W: Nick Spencer A: Daniel Acuna
  • Silk – W: Robbie Thompson A: Stacey Lee
  • Spider-Man - W: Brian Michael Bendis A: Sara Pichelli
  • Squadron Supreme – W: James Robinson A: Leonard Kirk
  • The Totally Awesome Hulk – W: Greg Pak A: Frank Cho
  • Uncanny Avengers – W: Gerry Duggan A: Ryan Stegman
  • Uncanny Inhumans – W: Charles Soule A: Steve McNiven
mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By mrkareemruiz

• Spider-Man - Miles
  • All-New All-Different Avengers
  • Sam Wilson, Captain America
  • Ultimates
  • Extraordinary X-men
Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
thekidfliessolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to a couple of the new Spider titles, mainly, ASM, SM, and Silk. I am waiting on Web Warriors to see what happens with them during Spider-Verse in Secret Wars. I guess we know they survive as a team. Will pick up Dr. Strange, Daredevil, and Ant-Man for sure. Looking forward to having Murdock back in the iconic suit instead of that business suit he is in now. I plan on giving the Avengers title at least a few issues to feel it out. Could be the first time I haven't had an Avengers title as a pull. The rest I can take and leave.

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought contest of champions was suppose to be canon

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Something about Ultimates is calling to me...

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate said:

It's the gold helmet that gives me hope. Wasn't Sam's father a black helment? I haven't read the run but thought I had heard that.

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Uncanny Inhumans (Soule has done a great job of telling several interesting storylines at once.

2. Squadron Supreme (Just started reading Robinson run of FF and I like this version of Hyperion)

3.Karnak (I'm surprised no one is talking about this. If Ellis this anywhere near as interesting as MK then this will be an amazing run)

4. Ant-man (First arc was really well done)

5. Doctor Strange (It's about time he got another solo)

6. Daredevil (Soule is a great writer and I'm interested on his take on the character)

7. The Totally Awesome Hulk (Too many people are focusing on the name of this book lol Pak knows what he's doing.)

8. Perhaps Vision X-23 or Scarlet Witch's solo (depending on reviews but I think King will probably do a great job)

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr__kamikaze said:
@cap10nate said:

It's the gold helmet that gives me hope. Wasn't Sam's father a black helment? I haven't read the run but thought I had heard that.

Yeah he was. But his helmet is being used by Sam, so I would assume he gets himself a new one. And my understanding was the Black Novas were a very small group, so there are probably more gold ones available? I dunno...but now you have me hoping for Rider... D:

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22  Edited By owie  Moderator

Karnak should be awesome. I agree, his Moon Knight was fantastic. I'm sorry to see no Moon Knight on the schedule, considering the critical reception it had been getting, but this may make up for it. And Karnak is actually my favorite Inhuman. I haven't been keeping up with recent Inhumans though--didn't he die? I guess with all the Secret Wars business that may not matter anymore.

There have actually been some cool spaceknight stories. Venom as a spaceknight is so weird it might just work!

Also unfortunate that there's no reboot of Elektra, at least as of yet, considering how awesome the finale of her series was, and what it set up for future stories. Maybe she's on A-force, but that's not gonna do it for me.

Also, I just looked back and Jean isn't on the cover of the All-New X-men, so that probably is her on the Extraordinary X-men.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ducey13

Out of this group I'll be picking up...

Doctor Strange (Jason Aaron is awesome and Strange deserves a solo book)

Extraordinary X-Men (It appears to be the primary X book now)

Squadron Supreme (I've always loved these guys and Robinson blew me away with his FF run)

Old Man Logan (It will be cool to see him interact with the regular Marvel characters and Jeff Lemire!)

Karnak (Not really interested in this but with Warren Ellis I'll give it a shot)

There's a lot of Marvel books i'll be picking up post Secret Wars but some cool one I think deserve to be mentioned are:

Illuminati (The Hood is Back!)

Ultimates (Galactus? What sorcery is this?)

and

Daredevil (Featuring Gambit? whoa)

I'm still wondering about where Punisher, Black Widow, Mister Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Winter Soldier, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and others are.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I'm most excited about Illuminati being a big fan of the hood and have been waiting for his come back for a very long time, but more then anything else I loved Eric O'Grady and it seems like he is going to be part of the new Illuminati team.

IronAngel89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Old Man Logan

2. Carnage

3. Daredevil

4. Spider-Gwen

5. Ultimates

tx12100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna Get All Of Them.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the ones above only Squadron Supreme interests me...and Contest of Champions maybe, although the game its based on is not good at all (if you want a good mobile Marvel game check out Future Fight).

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

So why isn't anyone talking about what really matters?

The Extraordinary X-Men are surrounded in Terrigen Mist!

No Caption Provided

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel fans are the most loyal fans on the planet

PanthersRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PanthersRock

I can't wait for invincible ironman

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BullPR

I'll probably buy the first trade paperback of Contest of Champions and Squadron.

Not sure yet if I will read SW before or not.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

R.I.P Wallet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mickeymayhew: You know exactly why: it wouldn't sell well, and most comic book fans hate change.

As for the books that have me interested..

• Extraordinary X-Men
  • Uncanny X-Men
  • Punisher
  • Karnak
Supersmoothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Supersmoothers

Contest of Champions? are you serious? Its a garbage iOS Free to Play Figthing Game.

Other then that, yeah pretty much all of the above seem interesting. Too bad that Karnak will get cancelled after 12 issues or after Warren Ellis leaves.

E. X-Men is probably gonna be great, not so sure about the other X-Men Titles tough.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE SCARLET WITCH SERIES! And Uncanny X-men, Extraordinary X-men, New Avengers, All New X-men, All New Wolverine.

The X-men have always been able to mix-up their roster with different characters, different perspectives, different minorities, and different focuses. I find it interesting that the X-men are the ones that most resemble their previous incarnation whereas every other team is doing backflips trying to catch up to the X-men's versatility and diversity.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@mickeymayhew: You know exactly why: it wouldn't sell well, and most comic book fans hate change.

well Giant Size 1 back in '75 sold well enough to catapult the X-Men to the top of Marvel's charts.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Extraordinary and Uncanny X-Men. That's it. Marvel can take the rest of that garbage and cram it...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mickeymayhew: Yes, but they weren't a popular franchise back then. Marvel has no reason to take risks when the current X-Men are safe and profitable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of these, the only one I'm excited for is Old Man Logan.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff Lemire stuff for me

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate said:
@mr__kamikaze said:
@cap10nate said:

Yeah he was. But his helmet is being used by Sam, so I would assume he gets himself a new one. And my understanding was the Black Novas were a very small group, so there are probably more gold ones available? I dunno...but now you have me hoping for Rider... D:

I really, really hope it's Rich. @winter_kills and I miss him too

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mickeymayhew

@sprior93 said:

@mickeymayhew: Yes, but they weren't a popular franchise back then. Marvel has no reason to take risks when the current X-Men are safe and profitable.

profitable and predictable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darque26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My picks will be: Daredevil, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, Howard the Duck, Uncanny X-Men and probably Ultimates.....Still waiting for Moon Knight, Punisher, GAMORA and Black Widow announcements...too bad there's no X-Factor though....

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mickeymayhew

would it be too much to ask to just one new member to the X-Men?! one brand new mutant who had the impact of say, Gambit, when he first appeared?!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_stegman  Moderator

Old Man Logan

Maybe Daredevil

Maybe Scarlet Witch

Nwtrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nwtrocks

@drellassassin: I hear you. I am interested in almost everything, and really interested in about ten books. However, I (for the best) limited myself to 4 titles a month a few weeks back, so I'll be picking up

• All-New, All-Different Avengers - The flagship Avengers with Captain America, Iron Man and Miles Morales in it? I wanted all three of their series, but I couldn't afford them.
  • Amazing Spider-Man - It is Amazing Spider-Man. Need I say more?
  • Spider-Man 2099 - Miguel O'Hara, that sick new costume, Peter David and Will Sliney, this is what I'm talking about!
  • Web Warriors - Mike Costa reprising his role from Secret Wars: Spider-Verse with the better artist of David Baldeon, along with this lineup? I'd love it if they had Spider-Punk, but I am awesome with what I've got!
  • Why Can't I Be Rich! - All-New X-Men, Carnage, Sam Wilson: Captain America and Invincible Iron Man. These are all my favorites, but I'm going to read every single thing they're putting out on Marvel Unlimited.

hiimsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad Ramos isn't going to be involved with Spider-Man anymore. I couldn't stand his drawing and am looking forward to Pichelli's work. Also, Doctor Strange is gonna be soooo good.

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bet us that Stegman draws a mean deadpool.

Also I hope that venom finally gets some love as a space knight