Why I think aquaman should be replaced by zatanna.

Darktimecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This an opinion of mine that I though I needed to share with the world. I think that it would be a good idea to replace aquaman with zatanna in the founding 7 of the justice league. Now just hear me out here, this has nothing to do with any hatred towards aquaman. I like aquaman and I hate the bullshit stigma of him being useless or gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). But zatanna would be a better character in place of aquaman for several reasons;

1. Second Female Member.

This ones pretty explanatory, having zatanna on the team gives the magnificent seven some gender diversity and saves Wonder Woman from the Smurfette principle.

2. Background/Character Diversity

Gender aside, zatanna is a more unique character than aquaman in terms of background and powers. A lot of things about aquaman are redundant when you think about it. Superman is the strongest, batman is the smartest, wonder woman is the best fighter, the flash is the fastest, green lantern is the most versatile and martian manhunter is a telepathic shape-shifter. They all bring something to the table. Everything unique about aquaman (marine telepathy, super swimming, underwater breathing) is restricted to the water. On land he's just a strong guy. Zatanna on the other hand, possesses varied magical powers, making her a mystic expert. This gives a lot of variety when it comes to action scenes, as zatanna has to be clever instead of just hitting things (no offense to characters who just hit things). This also applies to them as characters. Aquamans whole fish out of water angle (no pun intended) is done better with Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter anyway. Aquaman is a retread of WW in a lot of ways, being royalty from an isolated, superhuman society (and don't any of you fuckits tell me that MMH is a retread of superman because you're wrong)

Zatanna is a from earth and bit of a snarky show off, contrasting her from the otherworldly, serious Wonder Woman.

3. Misery Loves Company

Aquaman never fit in with the justice league in the way that he didn't have much of a tragic backstory. Superman's home planet was destroyed, batman's parents were shot in front of him, Wonder Woman (and all the amazons) is the reincarnated soul of killed unborn child, flash's mom is dead, green lantern's dad is dead, martian manhunter's entire SPECIES is dead and what does aquaman have? Well he was left to die due to fantastic racism, but wouldn't of and didn't because he was saved and raised by tom curry and went on to reclaim his throne later in life anyway. Zatanna fits in with this tragedy angle because of her dead father Zatara.

4. It Makes More Sense

To me, aquaman being a mainstay of the JLA never made much sense to me. Arthur isn't exactly your typical superhero, HE RUNS A FREAKING COUNTRY. He's got enough problems on his hands as it is. It would make more sense if Arthur was a non member ally of the justice league, rather than a founder.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

While Zatanna is my favorite DC female , I believe she should stick with her Justice league Dark team and be a secondary main justice league member. She is the doctor strange of the Justice league only

called upon when he magic and sorcery skills are needed. Aquaman has always been a part of the Justice League and I have to disagree with your statement about Zatanna being more unique than Aquaman. Aquman has Atlantis and a unique power set while Zatanna is a magic user and there are pleaty of them in the DC Universe. With that being said I freaking love Zatanna and wouldn't have a problem with her being a member of the main team but not if it cost Aquaman a spot on the team.

Darktimecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightfall225: when I said unique, I meant compared to the other six not the dcu at large.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zaied

Aquaman adds a unique dynamic to the Justice League in that he's the King of Atlantis and also a half-breed. Trying to find the right balance of being a king and a protector of Earth is why I think he belongs in the JL. He's also a big and much needed public figure.

On land, he's more than just another 'strong guy'. He brings a leadership, tactical, and a versatile offensive/defensive role to the group considering his trident is magical in essence and can ward off certain attacks that others can't, as well as damage high level opponents.

Lastly, Arthur grew up without his mother, and his dad died when he was young. While he probably didn't have it as rough as some of the others, his origin wasn't really the brightest, either.

Zatanna as a core member could make for a nice change of pace, but I don't think Aquaman is necessarily the guy to cast out to make it happen.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, Superman himself kind of makes Batman and Aquaman unneeded. He's smarter than Batman and stronger than Aquaman. Aquaman though, is arguably the most-experienced leader. You could really replace Manhunter with Green Lantern, since you mentioned that their both best at being versatile. So really I suppose, the only person that really has to go is either Manhunter or Lantern. I personally think the multiple Lanterns give them the better case, and honestly John really isn't that interesting a character to me. I've found his powerset kind of cool, but inconsistent and he's kind of boring to me. Though I know he has a solid fanbase, so that's me. If you wanted Zatanna to replace anyone, I would have suggested Manhunter, but even DC beat ya to the punch with Cyborg, so her being a stand-in for Lantern would be fine too.

I don't think there's much wrong with the Smurfette Principle if you're awesome really. It just means Wonder Woman is essentially the standard-bearer for female heroes, which I don't think is a bad thing and something she generally holds well.

Actually, I'm not sure if you're talking purely New 52, but I believe Aquamans' father also died. Not to mention, I believe he's been said to be of cursed blood, being a blonde Atlantean. So he's kind of unfit no matter where he is. Not every hero needs a tragic backstory though. I just keep remembering the episode of MAD that had Batman going. "My parents are dead."

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would love for Zatanna to join the main JL team, not only is she one of my favorite characters but we could really use another female on the team. While I do agree Aquaman doesn't really bring much to the team (and I really don't like the character) im not sure it would be right to replace him either, it just feels wrong due to him having been there for so long, but I do agree he doesn't really bring much except potentially an army whenever the JL would desperatly need cannon fodder, but this hasn't really been used that much. I am thinking Martian Manhunter might be better replaced, simply because he can do too much which kind off gets in the way of other members ability to shine. I think as cool as he is he is better off where he currently is in the New 52. I would love for Zatanna on the team though to bring some magic action to the table.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why does aquaman have to be replaced I would love for cyborg to leave and get his own metal man series like red hood and the outlaws.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

If she had her old super kawaii outfit, as opposed to this boring new one.

@bruxae said:

Martian Manhunter

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Why should she play second fiddle in the Justice League when she can actually lead the Justice League Dark.

JuxtMako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather they let Aquaman have magic again.

ComicNerd105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isla Fisher should be Zatanna.

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Why can't there be eight founding members?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Zatanna.

Beata

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlackWind

@ScouterV: @zaied: Aquaman also went through at least a few years of being kind of a dick, according to what we have implied by Ya'Wara. But he has gotten past that stage in his life and has already admitted he is ashamed of it.

Also I don't believe Wonder Woman should be alone in being the "one who will do what's necessary" department when it comes to certain threats. I hate to see people gang up on one in those situations.

Also Scouter, in this continuity, Arthur isn't cursed. But he is still being made to take the faults of his ancestors by other people. So in that vein, not much has changed.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I'm kinda hoping that in the movies that Cyborg goes off and joins Argus, or the Teen Titans instead of becoming a member of the Justice League. Even though it would be nice having a black guy on the team I'd rather see that spot go to a second woman. Zatanna, or Black Canary would be my top picks.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RustyRoy

Good points but I'm not sure I want Aquaman to be replaced. But since Cyborg replaced MM I guess Zatanna can replace Aquaman too.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Honestly I feel like we've made to many departures from the main League as it is, I'd like to see just the 7 of them back together some time soon.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Honestly I feel like we've made to many departures from the main League as it is, I'd like to see just the 7 of them back together some time soon.

I'd just like to see the main 7 star in one animated movie. Just once! Every time they get close, they just cut off Aquaman and leave it at 6.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd just like to see the main 7 star in one animated movie. Just once! Every time they get close, they just cut off Aquaman and leave it at 6.

I think the first one had the main 7.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@muffin_sangria said:

@amazingwebhead said:

I think the first one had the main 7.

New Frontier doesn't count. All 7 were never in the same place at once, Superman wasn't in the final battle, and Aquaman only showed up at the end.

Poze11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why he should be replaced.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zatanna should be replacing Shazam not Aquaman. Steel should replace Cyborg too. Cyborg just doesn't belong on the league

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I would be soooo on board for this.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

If Cyborg can replace MMH then Zatanna can definitely replace Aquaman. A female GL/RL or the return of Element Woman are also reasonable substitutions.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why should Aquaman always get replaced and not someone like Flash or GL?

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why should Aquaman always get replaced and not someone like Flash or GL?

Flash and GL are part of the Big Five.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jmarshmallow

Keep Aquaman in, kick Batman out.

Easy fix.

Jmarshmallow

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep Aquaman in, kick Batman out.

Easy fix.

Jmarshmallow

This. Batman should build his own team and should have Zatanna on it :)

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: I think it'd be even more epic if he became the leader of Justice League Dark.

That would be him, Zatanna, John Constantine...three of my favorites, like a match made in Heaven!

The epicness would be overwhelming!!

Jmarshmallow

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By goonage

I always assumed that WW and Aquaman served as the "magic experts" on the team? Even in DCUO WW is the head of the magic superheroes.

That being said, I'd still love to see Zatana on the team, even if she isn't considered part of the "core 7". She's awesome.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adding Zatanna would be awesome, but you shouldn't take out Aquaman.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO way, replace him? I think he's way better than Zatanna and beside, he's a true Justice League, Superfriends, or what ever team he was in recently. Aquaman is quite fine where he is. He's a water babe and I like him.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No. She's fine where she is.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman is fine where he is ,Zatanna will always be a reserve member to me.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Really, Superman himself kind of makes Batman and Aquaman unneeded. He's smarter than Batman and stronger than Aquaman. Aquaman though, is arguably the most-experienced leader.

TRUE.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Nah. Keep her on the ever-so-awesome Justice League Dark.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why not have them both?