Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok Discuss 'Darkseid War' and Their Love for Mister Miracle

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

The Justice League has found themselves in the middle of an epic battle between Anti-Monitor and Darkseid. Things have gotten even more crazy since Batman took over Metron's chair. Writer Geoff Johns and artist Jason Fabok talked to us over the phone about this story arc and what's coming down the line.

COMIC VINE: For those who haven't dived in yet, what's "Darkseid War" all about?

GEOFF JOHNS: The Justice League is caught in the middle of a war between the two most powerful and evil forces in the DC universe: Anti-Monitor and Darkseid. That as it basic as it gets. Obviously, there's a lot more to it: why they're fighting, and what they want.

CV: Batman has taken Metron's chair and with it comes unbelievable knowledge and a ton of arrogance. To me, it seems like there's this addictiveness to the chair's knowledge. Is that something Batman will be struggling with?

JOHNS: I think the chair, obviously, gives Batman ultimate knowledge. He can ask anything he wants and get anything he needs. That kind of power definitely will alter Batman and his perspective. That, to me, is a big part of this issue and storyline. He has all this knowledge and it's a very life-altering thing and he's going to go through some big things for some time to come.

CV: A big theme of this story is "absolute power corrupts absolutely." Is that something wanted to really hit with this story?

JOHNS: That's definitely an aspect of power that is often explored and it's just one avenue we're looking at. There's a multitude of what power does to something. It can corrupt somebody. I can also destroy somebody. It can also change your perspective. It can be a lot of thing, both good and bad and we're going to be exploring all those in this story.

CV: Mister Miracle is a big part of this story. What do you both enjoy about the character?

JOHNS: We talked about Mister Miracle before. We fell in love with the character when we were looking at the New Gods and I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's the single best character out of this entire mythology. He's all about freedom and free will, while Darkseid is all about control. They're completely opposite forces. I feel really grateful people seem to be liking his storyline.

JASON FABOK: The first time I was introduced to the character was a Justice League Unlimited story Bruce Timm animated. I'd never seen the character before. He has a lot of goofy qualities: his name, his big, bright costume. In the way they told the story of how he escaped from Darkseid's prison and all his cool powers he has, like the flying discs, and the characters that surrounded him, like Big Barda, I just fell in love with him. To get the opportunity to draw him was one of those career goals I thought I'd never have the opportunity. That goes for a lot of the New Gods. I would love to have the chance to tackle a New Gods series. Anyway, we tweeked his [Mister Miracle] outfit a little but kept it close to the original design and I hope I get to continue drawing him in the future.

CV: Is New Genesis going to come into play to this story at all?

JOHNS: You may see them but we're really more focused on the characters from Apokolips.

No Caption Provided

CV: Jason, you got to make tweeks to a lot of characters in this story. Which designs were some of your favorites for the story?

FABOK: Mister Miracle, Metron... We're toying around with established mythology, Jack Kirby mythology. We took the designs we wanted to do and updated them while still keeping them the characters you recognized. The original designs are perfect and great, but at the same point, we did want to update them a little bit. We toyed around with Darkseid a little bit. Each and every time, it feels a little bit daunting for us, but it's been a ton of fun. Sometimes, I have to pinch myself because I'm drawing all these characters that I remember reading and watching on the Justice League animated series, so it's really special to get to draw them and put your take on them.

CV: Looking mainly at Anti-Monitor, what did you both want to do differently with this character?

FABOK: We went back to the original design from Crisis [On Infinite Earths]. The original designs are really creepy looking. It's a mix of alien and machine. I just feels like that look and design, when you compare it to Darkseid, who is much more organic. He's a rock man but he has a much ore organic look to him and you have this other guy [Anti-Monitor] who is decked out in the alien-tech armor. It separates the two characters. With Anti-Monitor, every time I have to draw him, it takes a lot longer because there's so much going on there. He always turns out to be my favorite character, after I draw him. I love the character. He's great.

JOHNS: Jason is an unbelievable artist and designer and storyteller and he's blown me away. I don't quite have the words to express how much he's grown and changed. For us, he really wanted to do an event. He really loves the Justice League. He wanted to make this an event book and make it biggest comic book event out there. We want to make this as exciting as he can and Jay does that. He is a phenomenal artist. We wanted to go back a little to the Anti-Monitor original look but keep it updated. Jay put his stamp on it. It's pretty amazing to look at and I feel extremely lucky to have him here.

Thanks to Geoff and Jason for talking to us and make sure to check out JUSTICE LEAGUE #43 when it hits stores on August 19.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Loving everything about Justice League atm. Johns writing is on point and Fabok's art is downright gorgeous. I hope this team is in no rush to leave this book and that they continue to knock it out of the park.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Batman3000

Series has been amazing.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So Johns is trying to destroy our batgod from the inside out? BLASPHEMER!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Their love is infectious, I already liked Scott, but they made me realize just how much I love him. This is my favorite book out right now, can't wait for more.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sovereign91001: Don't worry, Johns says he has a good long tenure on this series.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

LOL

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dernman

@comicace3 said:

You doubt this is all part of Batgod's plan in a much bigger scheme? INFIDEL!

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I...no. You are right. I shall commence in self-flagellation.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fabok + New Gods series = EPIC winning

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Fabok joining JL made the book go from okay to epic instantly. I love what he and Geoff have done and I can't wait for more.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this arc

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By mak13131313
z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason fabok is a freakimg amazing artist I started reading JL agin whe. This arc started and I just finished reading the amazo virus and my god this dudes art is amazing. Him and Fiona staples and the guy who draws birthright are possibly my favorite artis at the moment.

Avatar image for hortondrawsawho
HortonDrawsAWho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to go give Fabok an event book eventually, he's the best artist at DC comics right now.

Jaymes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Ore organic"? I can't tell if that was a deliberate pun about the rock man thing or a fortuitous typographical error.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EdBlank

But Batman is gonna forget all about this, right?

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank said:

But Batman is gonna forget all about this, right?

you know it

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

GEOFF JOHNS: The Justice League is caught in the middle of a war between the two most powerful and evil forces in the DC universe: Anti-Monitor and Darkseid. That as it basic as it gets. Obviously, there's a lot more to it: why they're fighting, and what they want.

Hmm, no, the JL is caught between one of the most powerful and evil forces in the DC universe and Darksied.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KnightofSteel

Favorite series for me right now. This is epic. In future DC solicits I'm seeing someone else besides Fabok on art...I hope that's not permanent.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By luciferjonez

This is one of those series that SHOULD have a cross over that affects more of the DC universe but for some reason is isolated to just this book. Too good of a story not to be exploited more. Marketing fail on DC's part.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luciferjonez: the fail goes to you for not understanding that this is the POINT of the book. To keep it event level and contained to JL. JL is an event in and of itself each and every month. So again, the fail goes to you for not understanding something.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrand1: shut up you little tool. I was paying the book a compliment and in so saying that DC should have capitalized on it more. How can you have an all out War in one of your biggest titles and not have it spill over? You're just a mindless lemming.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StarBrand1

@luciferjonez: LMFAO! Im mindless? For understanding what and why the JL book is what it is? Is it opposite day? The entire point of it is to keep in confined to JL. The #1 complaint of common comic readers is there are too many events and too many books that force you to buy a different book just to get the story... whats the remedy? JL being a huge event book! Why do i need to explain this like your in pre school?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: why are you being facetious?

Why is he lying?

Why do you care that I am pointing it out?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Your being an idiot. "Fans" like you are the worst. You seem to know better than the creators. Well you think that you do. You also think that if you say something a certain way, it makes it true, but it doesn't. Your 100 percent wrong.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Your being an idiot. "Fans" like you are the worst. You seem to know better than the creators. Well you think that you do. You also think that if you say something a certain way, it makes it true, but it doesn't. Your 100 percent wrong.

I'm still waiting for Darkseid to cement himself above punchable by Kryptonian, untill that happens he is not even in the Top 10. But a clot like you wouldn't know that I guess.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By luciferjonez

@starbrand1 said:

I'm still waiting for Darkseid to cement himself above punchable by Kryptonian, untill that happens he is not even in the Top 10. But a clot like you wouldn't know that I guess.

@starbrand1 is a know it all jackass. Pay him/her no mind.

Lairdriver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an interesting story. Either they have dialed back the Anti Monitor's powers or seriously amped up Darkseid's. Anti Monitor is essentially the most powerful being in the DCU. As powerful as Darkseid is, AM should be able to brush him aside. But Anti Monitor does make a reference to being desperate. And Darkseid makes a reference to amplifying his powers. Could this be Darkseid's revenge 30 years later? Either way I am super impressed with the Justice League books. They are nailing everything right. Imagine Anti Monitor and Darkseid on the big screen!

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sly_141

@outside_85: You're wrong. As of right now Darkseid is one of the most powerful in DC... The writers it themselves so idk what your problem is...

@starbrand1: You're awesome.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sly_141 said:

@outside_85: You're wrong. As of right now Darkseid is one of the most powerful in DC... The writers it themselves so idk what your problem is...

How about proving some of Darkseid's omnipotence instead of just sitting there in your haze and dream it up? Here, I'll show you how to deal with Darkseid:

No Caption Provided

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sly_141

@outside_85: Reread my comment and tell me where I said omnipotent...

Anyways http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/new-52-darkseid-respect-thread-1704678/.

Then there is the fact the writers said he was one of the most powerful villians in DC right now so there you have it.

Their opinion> Yours...

I can think of only few villians on his level in the New 52. So there you have it.

EDIT: Bask in it.

No Caption Provided

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sly_141 said:

Reread my comment and tell me where I said omnipotent...

Anyways http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/new-52-darkseid-respect-thread-1704678/.

Then there is the fact the writers said he was one of the most powerful villians in DC right now so there you have it.

Their opinion> Yours...

I can think of only few villians on his level in the New 52. So there you have it.

Because of what you write in line 3.

Wow... he might be up for around with Captain Atom now.

And statements are utterly useless when not backed up by whats actually on the page.

Their lack of feats=all that matters

Lets see: Relic, Brainiac, Trigon, Invictus, Nekron, Volthoom, Pralaya, Vyndktx... should we go on?

EDIT: Too busy laughing:

No Caption Provided

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sly_141

@outside_85: So you pull a lowball feat from another continuity that is questionable itself to the table Hrmmm....

Writer's statements superceed yours. No matter how well you think you know the story you'll know as much as the writers.. Hrmmm...

As for your little list add Helspont, Hel, the First Born, and probably the Anti-Monitor and that's about it.

I can tell you have some bias against Darkseid or else you wouldn't have come in a thread specifically to talk "mess" about a fictional character. And you gave Starbrand trouble because he agreed with the writer.

EDIT:

No Caption Provided

Anyways as for the feats, I'm pretty the sure writers will give him new feats in addition to his feats from Earth 2, Constantine and his initial appearances in Justice League. Then there is the fact that he has multiversal army of parademons, his Furies, the other New Gods at his disposal and the cannibalistic planet he calls home. I really don't what your problem with the writers saying that Darkseid is one of the most powerful forces in the DCU. If you're going to call him out you need to do the same with Anti-Monitor as they are presumably around the same level considering the fact that they are engaged in war. Anyways you need to chill. Go read your favorite comic or something.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sly_141: Unlike you who posts a scan of him pushing a few people over as if that actually proved anything.

Writer statements dont mean squat if they dont back them up with what they put on the pages of their books, Johns hasn't done this. And untill he does, his statement will just remain his opinion, nothing more.

I wouldn't actually add the First Born, because he is lacking in feats, plus my list was the amount of people more powerful than Darkseid. And just to point it out again; thats quite a few people who now outranks Darkseid and the AM.

No, I have a problem with people talking out of their ass and not provide proof of their statements.

Ah, so they will give him feats one day? Maybe? Or maybe they wont. Thats an answer no one can really use for anything. And none of those things at his disposal are part of him, his armies can be beaten, the Furies can be slain and Apokolips can be destroyed the same way any other planet can, this is about Darkseid the entity not his toolshed. Because it's proven to be untrue, thats my problem with it. And no, I don't need to call out the AM on this as well, because he's completely featless and the only reason any of this is getting any kind of hype is because of what the AM used to be, before Flashpoint and now Convergence obliterated that.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: As far as I'm concerned this conversation is over. You try to call me out for making baseless claims despite the fact the list you put out you didn't provide any evidence of many sort. But I know where you're going with it so I just let it be. If you think there are so many people above Darkseid and AM go argue with the writer. Regardless of that, Darkseid and AM are powerful not just because of their own capabilities but their armies, resources, allies which is probably what they meant in the first place... Anyways feel free to add scans or start forum post where defend your stance cause I honestly want to see what your talking about. (Not being sarcastic) Make sure to tag so I can see it. If not, I hope we meet on better terms next time. No hard feelings bro.