• 129 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Joker has always been Batman's greatest enemy. Despite being defeated and locked up time and time again, Joker always manages to find a way to cause more problems. When Batman gained possession of the Mobius Chair, a chair that can travel through time and space, he tests its ability to answer any question asked. In Justice League #42, Batman first asks who killed his parents. Hearing the correct answer, he next asks what the Joker's real name is.

The answer Batman received was a surprise. It wasn't until this week's Justice League #50 that writer Geoff Johns revealed what Batman heard. There will be some spoilers from Justice League #50 and DC Universe: Rebirth below.

Justice League #42
Justice League #42

Joker has always been portrayed differently over the years from appearance to appearance. Part of this is because writers each give the character a different voice. The other factor is because of the state of Joker's mind, he will come across as a different person with each appearance. Batman may encounter a version that focuses on fun and gags while another may be darker and more deadly. This can now be explained by the new revelation.

After the events of Darkseid War, Hal Jordan asks Batman what the Mobius Chair said in reply to his question.

Justice League #50
Justice League #50

The chair didn't give Batman a single name. It told him there were three Jokers.

The idea of three Jokers is a crazy and scary one. It's also a bold move on Johns' part. Batman fans often agree Joker's definitive origin and identity should never be revealed. With three different Jokers running around, it creates a whole new set of questions and changes the character in a big way.

Looking back at Joker's appearances, the idea of there being three different ones does make a little sense. We've often wondered how Joker managed to keep escaping Arkham Asylum whenever it suited him. In 2012's Death of the Family, Joker managed to attack Batman and his allies all over Gotham City. It almost did feel like there was more than one. Perhaps the biggest question is, what is their relation to each other? You would have to assume they are aware of each other's plans and activities.

DC Universe: Rebirth
DC Universe: Rebirth

The problem is, Joker doesn't play well with others. There's no way these different Jokers are not working together. They would have to coordinate their activities since they've never been seen together, and Batman's never suspected there could be more than one. Are they all on the same level? Do they consider each other equals? Is one the leader telling the others what to do? One Joker causes more than enough problems for Batman. What would happen if the three decided to strike at once?

No Caption Provided

We'll have to wait to see how this develops. It's not clear when or where this will be addressed. Johns is stepping back from writing comics due to his new role with DC Films. Tom King is taking over the relaunched Batman title focusing on Calendar Man in the first arc, and the previous Batman writer, Scott Snyder, will be writing All-Star Batman with a story dealing with Two-Face.

Three Jokers seems like a crazy idea. We often see shocking twists created in comics to shake things up. This would be a big development if it turns out to be true. There is a much bigger story here that needs to be told. Batman readers will be on the edge of their seat, waiting for it to happen. Can Batman accept the idea of three different Jokers? Can readers accept it?

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

this is a crazy revelations, I look forward to where it leads.

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is very easy to figure out - they're the same person but from different era's. Golden Age, Crisis (pre-New 52), and New 52. Thanks to this whole new Rebirth we have already seen that there are two different Wally Wests' from different universes', so that easily explains three Joker's.

road_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody even like this idea?

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

laidblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its pretty cool, better than trying to ground him by giving him an actually origin or identity.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

Like someone said, same guy through different ages, Golden, post Crisis and post Flashpoint.

Edstone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where the hell does the Comedian fit in all this?

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MattyDaveHalPeo

@road_warrior said:

Yes, it's much better than the implied answer that he was given, which was the ruining of the Joker's origin. This way, we get more mystery, not less.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, all we need is more Joker. *eyeroll*

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

So basically we have three Jokers: Golden Age, Post Crisis and New 52.

This could be interesting. If it's executed just right. I greatly love Alan Moore's The Killing Joke and I greatly enjoyed Snyder's Death of the Family & Endgame. If Snyder is at the helm, a Joker story of such magnitude could be incredible.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Intriguing revelation and I'm anxious to find out how this plays out.

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@road_warrior: No, they shouldn't have done any Joker reveal, giving his true identity never would have worked and this just seems pointless.

deitydeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@road_warrior: No, they shouldn't have done any Joker reveal, giving his true identity never would have worked and this just seems pointless.

Precisely! These modern writers have so little imagination and lack of understanding it baffles the mind! It has been pretty firmly established that the Joker is simply chaos to Batman's order. He is not a man, does not have human emotions/feelings, etc. - an agent of chaos and nothing else. If you can't write a good Batman/Joker story with that canon then DON'T WRITE BATMAN / JOKER STORIES!!! Seems simple enough but NO, instead we get this idiotic idea. Here is a tip to comic writers - if your pitch starts 'Wouldn't it be cool if...' then it is a dumb pitch.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess that throws the entire "super sanity" concept introduced by Morrison out of the window right? Great job, Johns. This is why people don't want you near Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I actually more intressest what does Aquaman have for breakfast than anything related to the 3 Jokers.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@laidblack:

This is very easy to figure out - they're the same person but from different era's. Golden Age, Crisis (pre-New 52), and New 52. Thanks to this whole new Rebirth we have already seen that there are two different Wally Wests' from different universes', so that easily explains three Joker's.

No there isn't, the younger black Wally his his cousin that happens to have the same name.

@road_warrior said:

Yes, it's much better than the implied answer that he was given, which was the ruining of the Joker's origin. This way, we get more mystery, not less.

Yeah but it destroys the entire concept of Joker's philosophy\sanity that was already introduced by Morrison.

MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: Having different Jokers as a reason to why he has different personalities.

MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: Having different Jokers as a reason to why he has different personalities.

The existence of three Jokers tells you nothing of what each Joker is like.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess that throws the entire "super sanity" concept introduced by Morrison out of the window right? Great job, Johns. This is why people don't want you near Batman.

I don't think Morrisson holds too much weight in DC. His multiversity doesn't even seem cannon and feels like a side story. However maybe "the hand" that was shown there was truly Dr. Manhattans

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its dumb, but its dumb enough to make me want to read and either:

a. eat my own words because it might actually have a great resolution, or

b. see how much dumber they can make it

Heh, maybe one of the Jokers is secretly an agent of HYDRA...derp derp derp...

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Batman is the World's Greatest Detective so these Jokers have to either be, as stated by others, from 3 different era's or triplets. Batman would notice any different physical aspects of the Joker and even any differences in his voice.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I'll accept it until I actually see what happens with it. They've only said there are three jokers so far. We know nothing else as of yet, so I'm keeping my mind open. Honestly, I kind of like that idea since I'm not a big fan of the immortal joker from Snyder's run.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nite_nite:

No, but the super sanity concept was actually good. The idea that the Joker reinvents himself every day gives writers a lot of freedom on how to write it just as long as the constant is that he is obsessed with Batman. Some days he is just a trickster, others he is a serial killer, and some days he just wants to make the world burn.

This completely shits on that.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Well I'm glad the first arc of Batman Rebirth will be about Calendar man. It will be refreshing after all the Joker stories of late.

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like someone said, same guy through different ages, Golden, post Crisis and post Flashpoint.

But then the chair would have given a name, no?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

The existence of three Jokers tells you nothing of what each Joker is like.

Being as the preview shows three diferent Jokers that we have seen throughout time and each one and a different personality it tells us that they each have a different personality contradicting Morrisons super sanity.

Nirov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He asked the chair what the jokers real name is and it said "there are three" meaning three names, but that does not necessarily mean three separate people...does no one pay attention anymore.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@vitalius: Pretty sure he has a big bowl of Aqua-Os each morning.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_stegman  Moderator

@sbr999: I have no idea how that chair works, lol.

Darkknight819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even going to overreact to this anymore. How often do we see these big, drastic, headline grabbing revelations and changes in comics only for the end result to be more mildly than it originally appeared? I'll wait to see how this plays out before I start crying foul

MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I disagree. Even if we take into account the personalities of the Joker at the time of his first appearance, during the Killing Joke, and during the New52, the concept of supersanity isn't necessarily nullified.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tattacus

@nirov said:

He asked the chair what the jokers real name is and it said "there are three" meaning three names, but that does not necessarily mean three separate people...does no one pay attention anymore.

I never read the issue. So I don't know if the chair said "there are three jokers" or just "there are three". But if it's the latter then yeah, how have people not picked up on what you're saying? Because three names is what it sounds like to me.

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johns NEEDS to stay away from Batman.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I liked almost everything that came out of Rebirth. Have to say, I wasn't a fan of this. I'll see where it goes. But it will likely be revealed to be the result of DM's tampering that split Joker into three beings.

Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Neon_Jackal

@nirov: He did ask for the True name .

Mr___death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nirov said:

Good point

Johns NEEDS to stay away from Batman.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Yeah, I'm hoping its this and not something else.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Frownland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is an idiot.

His name is obviously Therareth Ree.

VVknight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nirov: But you see Batman looking at pictures of the Joker and they look different.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edstone1 said:

I'm glad you asked. There's a theory where the Comedian is the third Joker.

Loading Video...

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Seems like it could be interesting. I wonder when we'll find out?

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is an idiot.

His name is obviously Therareth Ree.

QFT

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edstone1 said:

Loading Video...

It's simple. Joker is such a Comedian...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what about Harley? Isn't there the slightest chance she would have noticed any slight difference between three Jokers?

An does this mean that she played with three different guy's rubber chickens around the same time?

If she didn't notice or know. Then wait till she finds out. lol

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@jeremy1989 said:
@edstone1 said:

Loading Video...

It's simple. Joker is such a Comedian...

He also thinks on big joke.