inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Last month, rumors were flying around about Tyrese possibly playing the role of John Stewart in the next Green Lantern film, which, at San Diego Comic Con this past year, was revealed to be titled "Green Lantern Corps." It looks like those rumors may hold some water as Tyrese confirmed in an interview with Collider that he's had meetings with Warner Bros to play a role in the upcoming film.

“I’ve already had a couple of meetings at Warner Bros., so we’ll see what happens. I do believe that there needs to be more black superheroes out there, but that’s not even my motivation. I think I would be the best Green Lantern and based on my fans and supporters that spent around $6 billion in box office receipts, I feel like there’s a fanbase of fans out there waiting to see me put on this green suit and do my thing. So I would love to confirm something today but I can’t. We’ll just keep following up.”

Years ago, when Ryan Reynolds was cast as Green Lantern for the 2011, there was a huge backlash online because many non-comic book fans who knew Green Lantern thought Warner Bros was "whitewashing" the character, since the Green Lantern they were familiar with was from the Justice League cartoon: John Stewart. This is a character that both comic book fans and the mainstream audience want to see on the big screen.

Gibson certainly has a point. Aside from Storm in the X-Men franchise and Blade (who was last seen in 2004), there aren't any prominent black superheroes currently on the big screen, although there's change coming with Black Panther, Fantastic Four, and Suicide Squad, but there's no better character to bring to the big screen than John Stewart, who is a fan favorite of not only the JLU cartoon lovers but also fans of the Green Lantern Corps comics.

We'll keep you updated as more develops. Would you want Tyrese to play John Stewart in the Green Lantern Corps film?

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By derekvang

Dear good god no... but if he's up for it and really wants it, then no one's stopping him since it looks like he really wants the role

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mikeg1965

Wow, he really wants this bad. Kind of short in height though imo.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By reactor

He's not my particular choice, but I don't get why some are so opposed to Gibson. He's not a terrible actor, and a lot of actors rise to fill the roles that they play. If he gets picked, I'd look forward to it.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He genuinely seems like he wants/would love to play the role. That's good enough for me.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tyrese apparently is one of those actors who thinks that "Hey, I was in ThisMovie that made ThisAmount so obviously that means I'm a great actor. No, Tyreese, you're not. Sorry. He would be a horrible John Stewart. Needs to be someone with actual screen presence who can act such as Denzel Washington, who honestly doesn't seem to age at all.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this desperation or determination I'm sensing :D

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zaied

@dondasch: Actually, Tyrese is a solid actor. Seems you haven't watched any of his films outside F&F.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id be okay with gibson but I would still like Idris Elba or at least someone that can pull off that deep voice like in the animated series and even Injustice.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

His quote makes me feel worse.

"I was in a movie that made lots of money, so people obviously like me!"

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By comicace3

I've never seen someone so desperate for the spot of a comc book movie. Just give the role to him. This just shows his dedication and he might actually do a good job.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not my first choice.

Beata

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He isn't the reason those movies made so much money

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondasch:Black don't crack!

@zaied: He's really not a great actor. The only thing that ever changes is whether or not he's the comic relief. Take away all the jokes in every one of his roles and it is literally the same person. And don't get me wrong, it can be said about Denzel too. The only difference is Denzel actually has presence. Tyrese, I'm sorry to say, does not have that presence.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO. His voice, speech pattern, and tone are all wrong for Mr. Stewart.

He should be played by a young Ving Rhames type. Solid voice with a stoic demeanor.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see the original afrocentric, jive and racist aspects of comic John Stewart, not the clean cut and whitewashed cartoon version who had the personality of a stapler. The Justice League cartoon sucked.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow he really wants the role

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't have feelings toward Tyreese either way but man I really really really want Idris Elba to play John, he would be so perfect... but I guess that's not going to happen

Matt2487

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't like how this seems to be a first come, first serve basis for casting. I've got nothing against Tyrese, I've not seen him in anything but I don't like how this whole situation has come about...

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JTMac005

If he wasn't already in the MCU, I'd say idris elba

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@comicace3: The Old Spice guy was pretty hot and heavy on getting the role of Luke Cage....even though the Old Spice commercials have been his biggest roles thus far...

I mean, I get it...these huge comic movies catapult acting careers. While I'm not particularly a fan of Tyrese's movies, he's at least built like a superhero. I just don't know if he's got the theatrical chops we're all hoping for. @viin mentioned Idris Elba who I totally agree would be excellent as Stewart.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL those 6 billion dollars are not from your fans. You have no fans. Those people went to see Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Cars, and Transformers. You do not make audiences swarm to see films.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Stewart is the most boring Lantern so this actually fits.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not my first choice, Idris Alba seems too perfect for the role, but i could see him pulling it off.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tony_Shark

Nooooooo

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I have with this is the fact I'm not sure if he can do a military voice. John was a marine and you can tell by the way he talks and acts, if Tyrese can pull that off then he's good for it.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder who else has been in talks for this role. I think I'd rather see Shemar Moore take on John Stewart.

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Billy_Cobb

No prominent black superheroes? Let's not overlook Nick Fury, War Machine and Falcon, the latter both being Avengers in MCU continuity now. And there was a black hero featured in last Friday's Ant-Man.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mysoulz

@billy_cobb: I don't think Tyrese would go that far just to play a side character to anyone. Also, I haven't seen Ant-Man, so it would be better to mark your quote in spoiler tags. Thanks.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I highly doubt he'll do a far worse job than Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, that movie bombed so horribly.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@avenging_x_bolt: I do but I still think he is the most boring of the three earth Lanterns. Actually I take that back Baz and Power RIng are probably more boring.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Hope he gets it if he want it that bad and does good

~MiB

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this entire campaign by him is coming off as way too needy and desperate. Honestly, if they say no and he's out of the running, is he going to go into some huge depression? he needs to calm his tits and earn it with his lackluster acting chops.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another miss in DC movie castings.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

@reactor said:

He's not my particular choice, but I don't get why some are so opposed to Gibson. He's not a terrible actor, and a lot of actors rise to fill the roles that they play. If he gets picked, I'd look forward to it.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear god.... noooo. Not tyrese, why not edris elba or denzel if this role wasnt beneath him. Tyrese's acting sucks. Especially for a role like john stewart.

Can tyrese even grow hair ?

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I love how people are so adamant against Tyrese but I haven't heard anyone else say so much as a 'boo' against the weird casting choices for Suicide Squad

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm glad he's motivated but he just doesn't look the part at all.

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Billy_Cobb

@mysoulz: My apologies for the spoiler. I've edited my comment (though I'm not sure how to do spoiler tags on my phone, as my computer is busted). He was in a trailer though, so I figured it was known.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer Ludacris rather than him.

Avatar image for garrettsgonewild
garrettsgonewild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Watch he ends up playing kilowog or toma re lol

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't recall seeing anything he's been in, but in my book, if an actor really wants a role, pursues it no matter what, I'm fine with them getting it. It's most of the reason I'm so fond of Michael Chiklis as the Thing. Thomas Jane as the Punisher (despite never having seen the real Punisher movie he starred in, just Dirty Laundry), Ryan Kwanten's Eddie Brock and so on.

So if Gibson wants it that bad? I say let him have it.

JackalVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JackalVenom

Tyrese i loved you in the Fast & Furious Franchise but, please kindly fuck off, your not fit for the role. John Stewart is by far my favorite Green and i feel as if you would only sully my vision of him.

John is an ex-veteran, right there that fact already makes me think your unfit for the task with your comedic aura. Now I'm not saying that John can't be or isn't funny but, i can't see Tyrese getting serious when the time calls for it.

I feel as if your going after the role for the wrong reason. I feel like he just wants to be a well-known superhero that means a lot more in the eyes of youth, such as myself, today in a highly acclaimed film to bpost himself. If he gets the role (or if he's in the running for it) and says that he read up on the character so he could get into character, it means he doesn't even know the person he's trying to play.

If he really wants to play the character, i can't do anything about. All i can do is hope and pray someone more suited for the role will be chosen. Only thing that Mr. Gibson has going for him is that he's a slim black male that very slightly resembles the JL: Unlimited version of John from what i can see. I'd rather have his cinematic counter-part have his hair intact. Ya'know, that Buzz Cut with the Temple Fades.

Welp there goes my Bi-yearly rant. -_- But i do have an unlimited supply of arguments so Come At Me Bro! ^(^-^)>

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_cobb: We all make mistakes. Thanks man. I had no idea he was in the trailer though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dba458f4f4e8
deactivated-5dba458f4f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idris Alba should play John Stewart they need to get in talks with him.