Joe Madureira Talks BATTLE CHASERS Kickstarter and RPG Plus the Continuation of the Comic

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's been a long time coming but it's finally happening. If you've been reading comics in the last decade or two, chances are you know who Joe Madureira is and how amazing his art is. What newer readers may now know is back in 1998, he launched a creator-owned series, BATTLE CHASERS through the Cliffhanger imprint of Wildstorm. Joe introduced us to many cool characters and the action was big and bombastic. Then life happens.

Joe's direction shifted from comics to video games. Putting BATTLE CHASERS on hiatus, he formed a company with some friends, became creative director at THQ, which lead to game development, including Darksiders, formed Vigil Games and later the studio Airship Syndicate. During this time, he did do some work in comics such as THE ULTIMATES 3, AVENGING SPIDER-MAN, and SAVAGE WOLVERINE. Now he's launched a Kickstarter campaign for a BATTLE CHASERS video game and is planning on bringing back the comic at issue #10.

Of course we needed to find out more.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Let’s get right to it, BATTLE CHASERS, in a comic book format, is coming back?!?

JOE MADUREIRA: Yes, that’s right!

CV: You’ve been keeping yourself busy in the video game world, which we’ll get to in a sec, so why is now the right time to come back to the BATTLE CHASERS comic?

No Caption Provided

JOE: It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while, but there was never enough time between projects. I’ve gotten offers over the years from publishers who wanted to continue the series with a different creative team on it, but I always felt that if BC were ever to happen again, It would have to come from me. When we began talking seriously about a Battle Chasers game, I knew it would be the perfect time to launch a few new issues of the series. Also, I’m almost positive diehard BC fans would kill me if I didn’t.

CV: For those that haven’t read it recently, or at all, will there be any sort of refresher?

JOE: Yes. I’m not quite sure yet how I’ll do it—maybe I’ll add a few extra pages to #10, I don’t want to cut into the new story too much rehashing old stuff. Additionally, issues 1-9 will be made available again (working out the details now with Image Comics). Of course, the original books are also available now through Comixology.

CV: What are your plans for this run of the comic? How many issues are you committing yourself to and what will the release schedule be like?

JOE: Because we all know that me attempting to do a monthly book is a recipe for disaster, especially alongside development of the game, I’m going to be releasing new stories in the form of story arcs. The first one is three issues (BC #10-#12). If the books do well, and people want more, I’d love to continue the series with future arcs of 3-5 issues. They will each be self-contained stories (which will make any gap of time in between arcs a little easier on the readers, I hope) but they will all further the central storyline.

CV: Will you be writing, penciling, and inking? Can you mention who else is involved?

JOE: I haven’t decided yet if I’ll be working with an inker just yet. But the pencils and story will all be me.

No Caption Provided

CV: As if this won’t keep you busy enough, what can you tell us about the game and Kickstarter you’re launching?

JOE: The game is called Battle Chasers: Nightwar, and it’s more of a companion to the story of the comic books than it is a continuation. Its an RPG that’s inspired by some of the JRPG classics that inspired Battle Chasers, so it’s fun and a little surreal to be working on this type of game. All of the central characters are playable (Garrison, Gully, Monika, Knolan, and Calibretto) and we are introducing some new characters as well! It’s a fun hybrid of action packed dungeon exploration, and tactical combat. Our team is comprised of Vigil Games vets (Darksiders1 & 2).

No Caption Provided

CV: When will you find time to eat or sleep doing all of this?

No Caption Provided

JOE: I’m trying. Sadly, I get plenty to eat, but just what’s in reach of my desk, which is mostly Power Bars and Sour Patch Kids. And lots of coffee. Sleep’s a tough one.

CV: When can we expect the BATTLE CHASERS comic?

JOE: We don’t have an exact release date, but I definitely want to get 10-12 out before the game hits December next year. I’m guessing next summer. It would be awesome to launch around SDCC. But again, that’s not an official date. Just my current plan!

CV: Any final comments to the patient BATTLE CHASERS fans that are ready to gobble up every new issue?

JOE: I can honestly say that this project would not be happening if it wasn’t for the years and years of support, encouragement ( and threats ) from Battle Chasers fans over the years. I just want to tell all those people who apologized for ‘bugging me’, thank you! It worked! I have the best fans in the world. I’m excited to do this for them. And I’m going to do everything within my power to make it worth the wait!

Check out the information on the Kickstarter campaign for Battle Chasers: Nightwar (it's doing pretty well). Stay tuned for more information on the continuation of the BATTLE CHASERS comic.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm pretty pumped for this (backed the game day one) I'm curious though if they've said anything about who's publishing the series? Image?

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was wondering when they were gonna bring back Battle Chasers, and now I know. Garrison and Red Monika are my two favorite characters.

kendigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sick.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87: Yes, Image. He did mention them with getting issues 1-9 back out so I assumed. I just double checked with Joe.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Sweet, thanks! I have 1-9 digitally through the Image app and it would kill my OCD if the rest were coming out from a different pub

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

I'll just be over here losing my mind in sheer joy while we wait.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xaos

Really ?

I mean, I was a teenager when Battle chaser came out...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

what ever this is it looks cool.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

My. God.

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool!

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dedpool

This is awesome! I'd actually like a Darksiders comic as well. That game franchise had a rich, well written mythology and since it encompasses so much time it could be several short series or an ongoing one with lots of flash backs or spinoff series. PLUS I NEED DARKSIDERS 3 PLEASE! I want to play as Strife and Fury!!

Also I've always felt design wise Darksiders could easily cross over with or be a part of Battle Chasers.

Domino_Xeres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is a rant, I apologize in advance...

Back in the 90's I was pumped for every issue of Battle Chasers came out, even when the wait between issues became longer than six months! Even as a teenager, I was offended when Joe Mad essentially said "f*ck you, who cares" to all his loyal fans when he decided to leave comics for video games. After years of support from his fans, he couldn't be bothered to finish a story we as fans, patiently waited to arrive. Even his attempt to finish with #9 was half-assed and non-conclusive.

Flash to today, he promises to finish the storyline... ok, great maybe I can shell out twenty bucks to get some closure (even though like the hiatus for Sin City 2, its almost feel like "great, who cares?") but now we find out that the only reason he is releasing the final issues of Battle Chasers more than a decade later is because.....drum roll... he has another video game. I can't help but feel like he is capitalizing on our 90's comic nostalgia and susceptibility to merchandizing.

Seriously, what ever happened to passion for story telling? Does he honestly expect us to believe he has been working on an ending that can be wrapped up in three issues for a decade? Or has he been sitting on the ending all this time, and really didn't give a sh!t or be bothered to release it to his fans? I don't know which is worse. Clearly I'm butt hurt about this, haha, but looking at his kickstarter goals... seriously!? you don't even get a physical copy of the game until you pledge over $100 dollars?! What an egotistical pr!ck! Sorry Joe Mad, no more geek bux from me... too little, way too late.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@domino_xeres: Actually I think he's just been busy. Battle Chasers as a comic was great but financially and business wise it was a disaster. Mad is a great artist, and a decent storyteller but his time management was horrendous. he's gotten better but even he realizes he's not a monthly guy. So I am guess with this he will be dedicating the time to get it done. Joe was kinda being pulled in a lot of directions at the time, and now he's more in control of what he gets to do. So I think he can pull it off. That's my hope anyway

Domino_Xeres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedpool Considering the ultimate demise of Cliffhanger as a publisher, I would agree that financially, yes it was a nightmare. I don't mean to disregard his obvious talent, but this post was more my inner teenager still crying in hormonal angst, haha. Battle Chasers was single-handedly the comic I looked forward to reading the most; so when the announcement of its undetermined hiatus came, I was pissed... even then, allowance didn't come easy and there I was, stuck with yet another unfinished Cliffhanger title that was left at... well, a cliffhanger :P I just don't see how all the multiple storylines of Battle Chasers can be finished in just three issues and given satisfying conclusion.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@domino_xeres: Probably will only finish major ones, and save others for if the book does well, which it should. It was a great book. I was actually just looking into getting that, Crimson, and Steampunk (another Cliffhanger book that didn't finish!!)