k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Let's get something out of the way: Based on this chapter, Brian Buccellato feels like the right writer to follow Tom Taylor's work. The tone feels consistent and, if you're out of the loop and don't pay attention to creative teams (tsk-tsk), it's possible you wouldn't even realize there's a new writer on the title. Now, Buccellato does have the advantage of working off of Taylor's plans for the rest of YEAR THREE, but as you all know, dialogue is a critical aspect. Buccellato may be drawing some big moments from Taylor's plans, but the execution of them is what'll make them pack a punch or be forgotten the next day. For example, a basic scene of two characters talking while drinking some coffee (one can never have too much coffee) could be gripping and insightful when handled by one writer yet boring and full of exposition when handled by another. Given Buccellato's handling of the characters and the story in this one, I have faith in his ability to keep this series great without making it noticeably different. He covers a fair amount of ground in this one and it didn't come off as feeling like a quick read, either.

Taylor left us with an insight into Superman. We saw Kal-El's version of a perfect world; a world where people still admire him and the ones he loves are happy and making a difference. Now, we get a brief but still effective look into Wonder Woman's mind. It may not be as compelling (it has far less time to unfold, after all), but it's handled cleverly and teases the fact we'll see more and more of Diana's world in this volume. The opening sequence also really gives artist Mike S. Miller and colorist J. Nanjan a chance to impress us. The scenery is every bit as beautiful as Clark says it is (impressive feat for a weekly digital comic, yeah?) and decisions like having the view reflecting in Superman's eye is a nice touch; it's something that allows us to understand just how much he's fascinated by the setting. Superman's facial features seem to fluctuate a bit, but it's still a scene that's presented very well, especially because of how it builds up and then hits you with the reveal.

Seeing as the last two chapters took place in Superman's head, this one has plenty of elements to address. We don't have any follow-up with the cosmic characters (e.g. the new Spectre and Deadman), but now that Superman is out of the picture, Batman and his allies need to think about how they'll fix the damage that has been done. But before they get into anything too elaborate, Buccellato uses this opportunity to show that he's capable of handling the dynamic between John Constantine and Batman. The conversation didn't make me laugh out loud, but it did make me smirk and offered just a little bit of depth. I will say the one noticeable difference between the writers is Buccellato seems to already be giving a lot of love to Wayne. It's not to the point where the Caped Crusader steals the spotlight, but after having Constantine take so much of the focus (not a criticism; he's a great lead), it's good to see the leader of the rebel group is the one to address the prisoners about what has occurred and why they can still be redeemed. Part of me wanted a more compelling scene between Damian and his father, but given the scenario (and limited amount of pages), the blunt reaction is understandable.

Oh, and this doesn't impact the score, but I love the decision to include a preview of MORTAL KOMBAT X #1 in the end. As a fan of that franchise, it's a nice reminder that the digital series begins today and it looks awesome. Hopefully that gets more people to check it out.

The Bad

The cliffhanger feels like one of those situations where you're pretty sure you know how it'll play out, so the chapter doesn't end on a high note. Since we know Sinestro and Wonder Woman remain by Superman's side, it's looking like this will be a (hopefully fun) fight until the situation is explained. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing how it goes down and it has the potential to be awesome, but this series is known for jaw-dropping cliffhangers, and this one doesn't leave much of an impact. Instead of leaving me anxious for the next chapter or blowing my mind, it has me thinking, "Yeah, this could be pretty cool to watch." It's a familiar cliffhanger that teases a fight but the stakes don't feel too high. But hey, maybe Buccellato will make me eat my words and it'll be more than just a powerhouse brawl before the scenario is explained to Diana. Could Diana take it too far and now Sinestro will be the one who's incapacitated for some period of time? Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out, but for now, this cliffhanger doesn't feel like an especially strong hook.

The Verdict

It's sad to see Taylor go, but it looks like the franchise is being left in capable hands. Buccellato's continuation of Taylor's story feels like more of the same, and I'm sure many of you will agree that's a very good thing. From just the right amount of levity to the huge amount of buildup and character, INJUSTICE: YEAR THREE #15 does a proper job bringing Wonder Woman back while also adding more to the narrative. I'm curious to see how Buccellato will handle the rest of the cast (especiallyHarley Quinn) and the cosmic developments Taylor put in place, but for right now, this is a promising start to his time with the series. Plus, there's a panel or two that are legitimately beautiful, and honestly, who could have expected that from this series? There's plenty plenty of stunning panels in INJUSTICE'S history, but Miller and Nanjan did a terrific job with the opening.

TheDarkKnightz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Who is the "Ray" that Clark was talking about in Diana's dream? I remember Ollie dying, but not "Ray"?

I was a bit worried about the transition too, but you're totally right: if we hadn't been following the creative teens, the change in writers would have totally slipped by unnoticed.

Still need to know who the Specter really is!!

SuperiorBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperiorBeast

Oh my god mortal Kombat was amazing!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

How does Diana walk into a room where everyone is wearing Sinestro uniforms and only realize something's up after seeing the ring

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish these covers weren't so revealing. I mean yeah we all knew the "empress" would awake or whatever, but this is the 2nd or 3rd time now the cover gave us a little too much info. All in all good start for buccellato though.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

@saren said:

How does Diana walk into a room where everyone is wearing Sinestro uniforms and only realize something's up after seeing the ring

The coma made her a little slow on the uptake.

Avatar image for ultimatehulk10000
ultimatehulk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uuuuuuuh how does Diana know Ollie died in her coma if he didnt get killed until after the fight with Captain Atom?

TheDarkKnightz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatehulk10000: Whoa, nice catch haha. Btw, not to beat a dead horse, but who's "Ray"? Clark referred to him in the same sentence.

Avatar image for scarletknight2814
ScarletKnight2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedarkknightz:

Ray is probably Captain Atom as he died in Year 1, and Booch probably got him mixed him up with Atom (Ray Palmer)

TheDarkKnightz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheDarkKnightz

@scarletknight2814: Ooooh okay. Well I guess her knowing about his death makes sense, and then maybe she just assumed Ollie would die next lol?

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

doubt that superman killed a young hero who Barry knew his name might of been ray.

@scarletknight2814: cap's name was allen adam

TheDarkKnightz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent: There was a preview of Mortal Combat at the end of this issue, so not necessarily the "wrong thread" haha

Avatar image for scarletknight2814
ScarletKnight2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@obsidian_raindrop1:

it's Nathaniel Adams, and im just saying booch might have got confused between Captain Atom and Atom

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

I really want Damian to die. Also why is Ares helping the Amazons?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I really want Damian to die. Also why is Ares helping the Amazons?

All he is doing is keeping the conflict going. Waking up Diana is going to bring more of it with Superman out.

If you played the game, you'd see him going to the 'prime' Diana as well claiming that since Superman took over, he had gradually lost his power when there was little to no war left. In his end-scene he gets Brainiac-5 to make him a time-loop to live in where the fighting is constant, since he couldn't sustain himself in the real world.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@saren said:

The coma made her a little slow on the uptake.

Right.....the coma.....

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Uuuuuuuh how does Diana know Ollie died in her coma if he didnt get killed until after the fight with Captain Atom?

That's a good question. While reading/reviewing, I forgot she was taken out right before that happened.