Inconsistencies in Hulk's strength and rage increase

Avatar image for underdogsupporter
UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I know Hulk gets stronger as he gets madder. I'm well aware his strength fluctuates in accordance to the height of his temper. The more you piss him off, the deeper you dig your grave but I do have a question about this consistency.

If someone stronger than Hulk to begin with is deliberately pissing the Green Goliath off, obviously due to stress, Hulk is going to reach a certain point of rage and match or surpass that opponent.

However if that someone is much much stronger than Hulk to begin with and isn't trying to piss the Green Goliath off, Hulk may be stressed but he wouldn't reach his level of strength I previously outlined for the previous opponent. How exactly would Hulk match that opponent or if he ever will?

Is Hulk's rage voluntary or involuntary? Does he understand his need to get pissed off or does it just happen through what he sees? Does he know how pissed off he needs to be to surpass another opponent's strength? Please help me, if you can answer these questions. Much appreciated.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

It's not always about rage. Hatred, stress, sorrow, and other emotions can equally cause Hulk's power to increase to infinite levels. It's happened more often than one might expect.

It's also be classified as a survival technique. For example: If Hulk is in a very weakened state and is knocked out, he doesn't always revert to Bruce Banner. Why? Because it's their drive to live/survive. Even if Banner wants to die, that's not to say Hulk is going to let him.

That's why I can't understand why Doc Green recently reverted to Banner in his conflict with Red Hulk. Or when a controlled/power restrained Hulk reverted to Banner after Sun God blasted him with heat vision, which he's withstood numerous times in the past without ceasing to fight onward, let alone revert back to Banner. This also happened more than a few times during Waid's run. But I have an idea as to why it happened in all those circumstances. It's called lazy/poor writing and lack of knowledge of the character.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

QueenAnt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk has always been the overpowered freak .

UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenscar1990: True that. If Hulk was put in a survival situation I can see that happening.

I am however referring to a regular fight where Hulk's rage may likely be dependent on how much his opponent is trying to piss him off, which is why I see Hulk being more of a problem to villains than he would to heroes. Take Abomination and Superman for example. Abomination enjoys taunting Hulk and would definitely push him to the edge whereas Superman would likely try to reason with him therefore not enraging Hulk to the same level as Abomination would.

See where I'm getting?

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@underdogsupporter: Yes, I do.

Superman would try reasoning with him, because he would understand that outright force, no matter how great, would be useless against the Hulk. It would only further antagonize the Green Goliath, therefore increasing his power output and rage, thus taking a more calm and reasoning approach would be better suited in order to avoid an altercation.

Greg Pak has stated himself that this is what Superman would do if he went against the Hulk. Due to him loving both characters, he'd be the only person that I would actually want to write a Hulk/Superman crossover story. You want a writer who loves both characters and sees them as equal whenever you do something like that.

Anyway, back on topic. It's not wise for any powerful villain to challenge, taunt, or antagonize the Hulk. And it's just as bad, if not worse, to threaten innocents or those whom he cares about. That'll really make him snap and smash the living hell out of anything or anyone in his way.

Avatar image for worldbreakerhulk
worldbreakerhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is gamma energy generator himself, while superman needs the sun to provide himself. Hulk is independent source and superman'll run out of power if taken away to the unknown sunless planet.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thedailybagel  Moderator

Sometimes you don't even need to make him angrier. He just needs to stay angry and he gets stronger.

Normally though if he's getting beat badly thats just going to piss him off more than taunting him would.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shrekstacey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shrekstacey

NO ONE IS STRONGER THAN HULK! HULK CAN BEAT TOAA, BEYONDER, GALACTUS,LT, THOR, SUPERMAN, OR ANYONE YOU CAN THINK OF (except shrek, because shrek with ogreforce is OP AND he can beat anyone in any universe in any comic based company), WITH HIS HANDS TIED BEHIND HIS BACK

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

CRAZYMADMAN90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CRAZYMADMAN90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@cgoodness: Neither a more misplaced gif nor a more wrongful timing.

UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel said:

Sometimes you don't even need to make him angrier. He just needs to stay angry and he gets stronger.

Normally though if he's getting beat badly thats just going to piss him off more than taunting him would.

I thought his strength was dependent on how angry he is hence the quote "The madder Hulk gets the stronger he gets" not dependent on how long he stayed angry for?

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thedailybagel  Moderator

@underdogsupporter: it varies, but often in fights he gets more powerful without getting a noticeable increase in anger.

UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: I'm not sure if one can truly notice anger but different opinions from different Hulk fans have claimed Hulk's strength is stress dependent not time dependent and different comics seem to reflect that.

Using my example above, Abomination and Superman would have different influences on Hulk if this were stress dependent though time dependency contradicts that famous quote.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thedailybagel  Moderator
arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess the Hulk never smokes weed.

Hulk "wow , Dude the colors of that house are amazing"

Thor " Hulk , get angry Thantos just blew up that mountain and Azmoras and his army of minions are destroying earth"

Hulk sits back and just closes his eyes... "Chill Thor you need to just relax dude , just meditate on it and it will be all clear."

Thor goes off to fight leaving Tony and Hulk in a smoke filled room.

UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@theacidskull: Any thoughts that may help me?

Emotions spark hulks strength, not just Rage. if he can't reach a the necessary level of anger, he'll probably lose against someone stronger. It's as simple as that.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Definitely emotions influence his anger. What made him so dangerous in WWH? The grief of losing his wife on Sakaar. Going World Breaker seems to be triggered also by heightened emotion as well as rage. Another debate actually that one, what moves Hulk from mere angry dude to eyes flashing World Breaker....

winters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gray hulk was the most interesting hulk incarnation, I miss him.

asIsuspected

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: the savage/gravage/green scar hulk should always get angry enough to overpower any opponents unless the plot requires him to loose or he is not in the fight. That's simple as that! You can't just punch savage hulk with even say 5 times his own strength and finish the fight! It simply doesn't work that way! Hulk is the character that can take so much damage and only become stronger, more durable, less tired than he was at the beginning of the fight! His durability combined with hf and sheer willpower makes him the character that can take any physical attack and keep going! Not getting strong/angry enough to match his opponent in strength is more out of character for him than getting. In fact he can go wb level in mere seconds if needed so which won't be out of character as well. He has so much at his disposal to beat someone stronger than himself. He is basically made for this kind of fights. Unfortunately only few writers like Pak understood the character enough to portray that;( The problem with the majority of writers is that they portray him the same way they would portray any other brute like Thing, Juggernaut, Solomon Grundy etc. The curse of the Hulk is that he gets a lot of bad writers like that who have little understanding of the character and even less passion. So, I can understand your reasoning to some degree. As for Banner restricted/controlled versions, they are most likely to lose to someone who is much stronger before getting a chance to match strength level of the opponent.

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr: Haha. Hulk would probably get pissed that his healing factor doesn't allow him to get high. Thus just making him angrier.