X-Men Apocalypse: 17 Horsemen who Worked for Apocalypse

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

In X-Men: Apocalypse, four mutants join the villainous Apocalypse in his journey to conquer the world: Magneto, Storm, Angel, and Psylocke. In the comics, the ancient mutant has always surrounded himself by four horsemen. Some of which were villains, and some of which were heroes. While there's been plenty of Horsemen in What If? stories and alternate timelines, we're just looking at the ones from Marvel's main continuity.

Archangel

No Caption Provided

X-Men member Angel had his wings destroyed in battle. Apocalypse offered to restore them to him, so Angel joined his cause. He was given metal, blue skin, and brainwashed into becoming the Horseman known as Death. It took Iceman faking his own death, at Archangel's hands, to undo the brainwashing.

Contained within the X-Men: Fall of the Mutants collection.

Abraham Kieros

No Caption Provided

Kieros became paralyzed during the Vietnam war. Apocalypse gave him the ability to move again and unlocked his latent mutant abilities. Kieros became War and gained the ability to create explosions through kinetic contact. He usually created these explosions by clapping his hands.

Autumn Rolfson

No Caption Provided

Autumn was a mutant who had the ability to disintegrate organisms. She was a spoiled and angry girl who jumped at the chance to join Apocalypse, becoming the Horseman known as Famine.

Plague

No Caption Provided

Plague was a member of the underground mutant group known as The Morlocks. They were outcasts to society. She had the ability to absorb any disease around her and pass it onto someone else through contact but at an amplified level. She became Apocalypse's Horseman known as Pestilence.

Hulk

No Caption Provided

For a couple of months in the late '90s, Hulk became Apocalypse's Horseman of War. As we've seen in the past, Apocalypse is great at manipulating people, and Hulk was no exception. It took Hulk's friend Rick Jones almost dying for Hulk to break free of Apocalypse's grasp.

However, there were no other Horsemen present for this two-issue story.

Hulk #456-457

Deathbird

No Caption Provided

Apocalypse has a plan to gather twelve mutants to drain to amplify his own power. He decides to gather a new group of Horsemen to aid him. Deathbird became War in order to help Apocalypse gather the mutants he needed.

Contained within the X-Men vs. Apocalypse: The Twelvecollection.

Wolverine

No Caption Provided

The most surprising addition to Apocalypse's new Horsemen was Wolverine as Death. During this time, Wolverine lost his adamantium skeleton. Apocalypse gave it back to him, but this resulted in Wolverine falling into the villain's programming. Because of this, Wolverine ended up fighting his own X-Men brothers. Eventually, Wolverine broke free.

Contained within the X-Men vs. Apocalypse: The Twelve collection.

Caliban

No Caption Provided

When Archangel broke free of Apocalypse's control, as the Horseman Death, Apocalypse replaced him with the Morlock Caliban. Eventually, Caliban broke free and became a member of X-Force. However, years later, Caliban ended up becoming a Horseman again. This time, Apocalypse gave him the ability to spread disease, telepathically. Caliban was then dubbed "Pestilence" during "The Twelve" storyline. He was set free once Cable defeated Apocalypse.

Ahab

No Caption Provided

The mutant tracker known as Ahab was transformed into Famine and given the task to hunt down the mutant known as Sunfire, which was on of the mutants known as "The Twelve."

Gazer

No Caption Provided

Years later, Apocalypse recruited a whole new group of people to become his Horsemen. He reached out to Gazer, a mutant who lost his powers during the infamous "M-Day." Apocalypse increased Gazer's size and mass during a long and painful procedure. Gazer's tenure was short-lived as he was killed by Ozymandias, Apocalypse's scribe because Gazer refused to betray his master.

Contained in X-Men: Blood Of Apocalypse.

Sunfire

No Caption Provided

During a battle with Lady Deathstrike, Sunfire allowed Rogue to drain his powers. In addition, he also lost his legs in battle. Apocalypse took Sunfire, gave him his legs, his powers, and a costume that looked a lot like his costume from the Age of Apocalypse storyline. He became the Horseman Famine.

Polaris

No Caption Provided

Polaris also lost her powers during "M-Day." She was kidnapped by Apocalypse and turned into Pestilence. She gained the ability to ingest and create plagues. In addition, she also gained her magnetic manipulation powers back. She later resisted Apocalypse's programming and rejoined the X-Men.

Gambit

No Caption Provided

Gambit joined Apocalypse as a double-agent, in hopes of getting close enough to stop the villain. He became the Horseman Death, and gained the ability to transmute gases into poisons, remotely. The transformation also turned his skin black. After Apocalypse was defeated, Gambit went insane for a short while because of the brainwashing, but eventually, everything went back to normal.

Decimus Furius

No Caption Provided

Decimus was originally from Rome around 220 AD. After his parents died, he transformed into a mutant while starving to death. He became what looks like a minotaur. He slaughtered many combatants in the arena, and Apocalypse felt he was the living embodiment of War.

Contained in Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender collections.

Jeb Lee

No Caption Provided

Jeb witnessed his family being killed in front of him during the American Civil War. The distress caused his latent mutant ability to manifest, which allows him to create an audible cancer from his drum, which kills everyone that hears it. Apocalypse was impressed with Jeb and made him Famine in his "Final Horsemen."

Sanjar Javeed

No Caption Provided

Sanjar was an illegitimate child of Middle-Eastern king, Shapur II. To gain his father's attention, Sanjar stole treasures from his father to give to the townspeople. His latent mutant power activated and Sanjar gained the ability to transmit a many different deadly diseases via personal contact with metal. He became the Horseman Death and was later killed by Deathlok, who was impervious to his powers.

Ichisumi

No Caption Provided

Ichisumi is originally from the late 19th century Japan. He was a failure to her father, which caused trauma. She later became a Geisha and developed the mutant ability to create "yume" beetles from her mouth. These beetles can kill people they come in contact with and also absorb their memories. Apocalypse was impressed with her and became the Horseman Pestilence.

No Caption Provided

Aside from the other realities, and What If stories, there was a notable moment when the Apocalypse Twins turned Grim Reaper, Banshee, Daken, and Sentry into the Hoursemen of Death. However, this was not Apocalypse's doing and part of a surreal and bizarre Uncanny Avengers story.

badaboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So when a mutant is brought in as a horsemen, what exactly happens? Apocalypse magnifies their power, but also gives them new ones?

What's this process like and how does he brainwash them? I feel like readers rarely see it, these characters just seem to pop into the battlefield with a new look.

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie was incredible. I think people missed the point of it, Apocalypse himself was a red herring..the movie wasn't about him, it was about the true formation of the X-Men.

True the Horsemen didn't receive their due but in essence (this is an opinion of a hardcore X-Fan) the whole struggle of Apocalypse vs the X-Men is to highlight them fighting for the belief of an equal world (something Apocalypse fights against)

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@badaboop: Apocalypse, like a cult leader, approaches his potential Horsemen when they're at their most vulnerable, once they grant him access to modify them they become loyal to him because once that access is given they become under his thrall/control. As mentioned above, some of them can get shocked out of the control.

He amplifies their existing gifts to match with the Horseman theme they're given and grants them additional powers (example: Angel kept his wings except they became metal, razor sharp and lethal to match with the Death role he became as a Horseman). The new looks is just Apocalypse playing dress up with his new toys :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@badaboop: it's makeover. The makeover make him brainwash people and make it more Fabolous.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

What about the latest Horsemen that have been in Apocalypse Wars like Colossus and Deadpool.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Thunderscream

@inferiorego What about these four from Uncanny Avengers? They went up against Thor back in the day. (The canon past, not an alternate timeline.)

No Caption Provided

To answer @badaboop: The Horseman, Death, has a Celestial Death Seed forcefully plunged into their chest cavity (would be so much easier if they found a way to make it into a suppository) as illustrated in Uncanny X-Force; however, this method was demonstrated by Archangel and may not be how Apocalypse imbued his followers since he appeared to restrain Gambit, Polaris, Sunfire and Gazer to a table with lots of shiny, sharp instruments of torture looming ominously overhead.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

Gazer! I used to love that guy. I'm glad to see his name mentioned.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you imagine your four horseman consisting of just Hulk, Wolverine, Sentry? Apocalypse would be unstoppable!

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Oh so the hooded guy is Wolverine? I remember seeing him in the X-Men Universe book I own but I never went back to see who it was. That's a pretty cool look for him.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie was incredible. I think people missed the point of it, Apocalypse himself was a red herring..the movie wasn't about him, it was about the true formation of the X-Men.

True the Horsemen didn't receive their due but in essence (this is an opinion of a hardcore X-Fan) the whole struggle of Apocalypse vs the X-Men is to highlight them fighting for the belief of an equal world (something Apocalypse fights against)

Wait, wait, wait, hold up. I haven't seen the movie yet, but let me get this straight: The movie is called "X-Men: Apocalypse". As the main villain, it stars Apocalypse. One of the most dangerous and powerful villains the X-Men has in their gallery. A guy of such overwhelming might and menace that he could easily star as the main bad guy for an X-Men trilogy, and if Fox was doing the Marvel thing, would probably be their 'Thanos': The guy they slowly build up to throughout their movies as the one threat that brings all their characters together just to have a chance against.

And you're telling me this guy... Isn't the point of the movie bearing his name?!

I get where you're coming from, I could see a villain intended to be a catalyst that brings a team together rather than an actual driving force, hell, Loki did that in Avengers. But when that villain is Apocalypse?! Something has gone horribly wrong! Say it ain't so!

O-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By O-Face

@jonsmith: Thanos is actually a complex villain that put the universe endanger. While Apocalypse is shallow and generic villain with undefined powers who was at his most dangerous in Age of Apocalypse, which was an alternate reality.

Hell, Apocalypse doesn't even hold a candle to Ultron. A freaking robot who is more complex and dangerous than him(Age of Ultron).

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VioletPhoenix

@jonsmith: haha it aint so! Oh don't worry, without spoiling, he definitelygets the limelight and his power is as terrifying as it is in comicsand his plan is hardcore extreme (truly against the weak)..but it truly is a love-letter to X-Fans with how the X-Men approach him. He's closer to Loki role but with Thanos' solo might. Keeping in mind they jump a decade between movies. There's some wordplay in the title. Bear witness this weekend, true believer.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@o-face said:

@jonsmith: Thanos is actually a complex villain that put the universe endanger. While Apocalypse is shallow and generic villain with undefined powers who was at his most dangerous in Age of Apocalypse, which was an alternate reality.

Hell, Apocalypse doesn't even hold a candle to Ultron. A freaking robot who is more complex and dangerous than him(Age of Ultron).

I disagree if the Twelve event didn't fail Apocalypse would've turned his wrath on the universe & would've most likely beat Thanos. Apocalypse whole thing is to challenge everyone & to make allies enemies & vice versa as no other big villains does that.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this x-men movie is just like any other fox x-men movie.

loads of potential, poor execution and doing things that never even happened in the comics.

Spoiler Ahead:

Jean Grey one shots apocalypse at the end and he dies.

Goellterator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rick Remenders Uncanny X-Force Run is my favourite. Got to read this again.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Oh so the hooded guy is Wolverine? I remember seeing him in the X-Men Universe book I own but I never went back to see who it was. That's a pretty cool look for him.

Yeah, the reason why he's so covered up and unrecognizable is because at the time, unknown to the readers, the Wolverine that had been appearing in comics for several months was a Skrull impostor. So when this new horseman showed up, no one could have suspected it was Wolverine under Apocalypse's mind control.

(incidentally, because they didn't want to interrupt his solo series and probably also because they didn't inform writers outside of the main x-men circle, a bunch of Wolverine's appearances outside of the two main x-titles where this story was going down retroactively had to be declared as appearances by Skrull Wolverine)

TG_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderscream: I actually really liked those horsemen in uncanny avengers. Seemed like a waste to me that they were only in one issue and killed off panel

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

that movie wasn't good at all.

i rather watch avatar and a transformer movie back to back.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellionvulcan: I disagree. Apocalypse says that the strong take big challenges, but he barely does that. His biggest feats are back when power levels were wildly inconsistent and he's been lacking ever since. He took on the most random line up of x-men (he shouldn't have been able to hurt him) and ran for crying out loud.

The movie was his best showing in a long time.

They have Apocalypse Wars going on right now and he's not even in it (I don't count his teen self or his clone).

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellionvulcan: I disagree. Apocalypse says that the strong take big challenges, but he barely does that. His biggest feats are back when power levels were wildly inconsistent and he's been lacking ever since. He took on the most random line up of x-men (he shouldn't have been able to hurt him) and ran for crying out loud.

They have Apocalypse Wars going on right now and he's not even in it (I don't count his teen self or his clone).

Apocalypse turned up in Extraordinary X-Men 11 as his power is the only thing holding Omega World together.

No Caption Provided

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil said:

Apocalypse turned up in Extraordinary X-Men 11 as his power is the only thing holding Omega World together.

No Caption Provided

made my post before I got the comic. still didn't like it though.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellionvulcan said:
@masterofevil said:

No Caption Provided

made my post before I got the comic. still didn't like it though.

I agree with you as it showed that Apocalypse's power can hold up many worlds so it's still a good feat.