inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Let's get this right out in the open, right away. The Lantern books have been riddled with cross-over event after cross-over event and it's been super annoying, no matter how well done they are. When Godhead was announced, I wasn't annoyed because the idea of having the Lanterns cross-over with the New Gods, a very underused element in the New 52, was nothing short of utterly brilliant. I feel like I needed to get that off my chest. As a GL fan, who is annoyed with giant cross-overs, based on the concept alone, I am very accepting of this story.

I normally don't read NEW GUARDIANS and I have no clue why because this is so incredibly well-written. Writer Justin Jordan doesn't make this jump on point insanely new reader friendly, but at no time will new readers feel alienated or completely lost with what's going on in Kyle's life right now. There's minor explanation for the current state of affairs, but Jordan moves the story forward more than discussing the past.

With the last two parts of Godhead, the New Gods are and aren't the villains in the story. What we can say is that they have certainly not been very helpful in any way. However, GLNG presents the New Gods in a bit of a different light, total pun intended. Highfather is the hero of the story ad his dialogue with Kyle puts a lot of this story into perspective.

The issue ends on a somber note, but I cannot wait to see where this adventure takes Kyle and Carol. There's no cliffhanger reveal and the story goes exactly where you'd expect it to, considering the situation, but it's executed exceptionally well. The four panels on the 19th page are put laid out beautifully and the eye naturally moves with the action.

The last two pages are drawn so well. Brad Walker, on pencils, Andrew Hennessy with Robin Riggs, on inks, and Wil Quintana on colors put together this incredibly emotional scene between Kyle and Carol. Artistically, it's my two favorite pages of the week. No, I haven't read everything, but as of now, these pages rock me like an Amadeus Hurricane. Walker's style works really well for the New Gods, who we don't see too much of here. As always, you need a strong colorist on a Lantern book because colors are extremely important, and Quintana does a swell job, especially on a few pages where Kyle is bleeding out white light. There's strong color work with blurring and transitions that make these scenes stand out.

The Bad

If you're not reading GLNG on a regular base, like I was, this book feels so different from the rest of the Lantern books because it's so isolated. However, that's something I found quite endearing about the book as well.

The Verdict

GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #35 is a huge hit. It's a great issue for readers to jump in on, but the issue doesn't spend the whole time catching said new readers up. It adds a lot of the overall story and most importantly, it's a really fun read. Jordan provides us with a story that adds a lot to the arc and gives the reader new insight into the New Gods, who aren't really the villains here, that we know of. If you've been enjoying Godhead, this is a must read, even if you've missed out on GLNG.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Must get to shop, must keep reading awesome event!

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By tensor

This is building up has to have a epic end.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mogo1

Loved it. So far I think Godhead is knocking it out of the park. I do find it weird that the new gods seem to have no idea who the lanterns are, they must not pay attention to them at all

One thing I really liked is one of them said that people fuel emotional spectrum again. Unfortunately I think he back pedaled the very next line

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This arc is awesome

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this event so far. Only question is when can we see Hal fight Orion again, their last scrap was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna say it. This Kyle/Carol thing angers me in depths of my soul. In my heart I just cannot get over it.

Also, if the Highfather knows that Darkseid was repelled on Earth, he must have known that Hal was one of the ones who fought him. If he actually went to Hal, and talked to him about the situation of Darkseid coming back with the Anti-life equation. I'm pretty sure Hal wouldn't turn him down, because I know he stills remember how badly he got f*cked up. His arm probably still hurts to this day.

Also, why are they mad at the Guardians. Of course they are going to keep things secret, but they are being d*cks about it like how the other Guardians were. Which I think Kyle could not tell the distinction between the two. Once he found out they hid one little thing, he automatically made them out to be villains. Didn't help with Carol being the hypeman in the back.

But still, that dynamic needs to end.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BOOOOOM! (C)

MikeGrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad this event is helping to turn people onto GLNG. Its probably the best Lantern book out there right now (only real competition in my mind is Sinestro).

Curious to see how Kyle is reintroduced into the rest of the lantern universe, which still thinks that he's dead since the end of Lights Out.

Can't wait for Hal to find out that Carol is in love with Kyle!

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, the Kyle and Carol romance is so stupid.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I need to catch up in this. I wasn't expecting them to keep Kyle white for good.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

So I'm not the only one.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed EVERY book/part of Godhead so far. Can't say that about many crossovers.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Must pick this issue up. Godhead has been awesome

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

Also, why are they mad at the Guardians. Of course they are going to keep things secret, but they are being d*cks about it like how the other Guardians were. Which I think Kyle could not tell the distinction between the two. Once he found out they hid one little thing, he automatically made them out to be villains. Didn't help with Carol being the hypeman in the back.

But still, that dynamic needs to end.

I agree with this. I don't like how both him and Carol comparing them to the old guardians. Kyle should think more smarter at what's going on at the bigger picture here.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THis book is awesome

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

Agreed, he turned her into his Ex and its seem Carol didn't even mind, and why they hell are they treating the templar guardians exactly like the emotionless ones? this is exact thing they did in the first Arc of New Guardians.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Zeeguy91

@dondave said:

Agreed. I can't even pick up this book now because of it. And I used to be one of its biggest proponents. I actually think its part of the reason that sales have been steadily slipping to the point where the title is now below even Red Lanterns.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@kivatt:

Only one? Not at all. Most people hate the relationship between the two for being poorly developed, coming out of nowhere and making no sense from a story perspective.

In other words, yeah Kyle and Carol sucks.

DogmaBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated the Kyle/Carol thing at first but I'm starting to think it's some good character development. Basically I think they're both trying to push the relationship for the wrong reasons and it'll come back to bite them both. Carol told Hal in GL21 that she wants to keep her powers but can't without love and since she doesn't like Hal anymore she's just lashing out to Kyle. Kyle on the other hand seems to be longing for his dead GF ( as we have seen in wrath of the first lantern and even just this issue) and Carol is just filling that void. Either way I foresee this imploding with consequences for both.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Comicuser

was awesome

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

I love the angle they showed Highfathers character,sorta showing the pre 52 caring supportive demeanor we know Highfather has always shown,and showing that what he's trying to is for the good of the multiverse,creation itself,hes only a God with the universes best intention,good issue for Kyles growth and trying to cope with the vast power he wields now

liwanag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

@dondave said:

So I'm not the only one.

apparently there's three of us.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liwanag said:

@kivatt said:

@dondave said:

So I'm not the only one.

Nope. We are Legion.

liwanag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liwanag said:

@kivatt said:

@dondave said:

So I'm not the only one.

Nope. We are Legion.

if only we can be heard and make a difference. sigh.

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@zeeguy91 said:

@dondave said:

Agreed. I can't even pick up this book now because of it. And I used to be one of its biggest proponents. I actually think its part of the reason that sales have been steadily slipping to the point where the title is now below even Red Lanterns.

Same I use to like book but after whole Kyle and Carol romance I just dropped the book its such stupid storyline doesn't make sense whats so ever.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Lvenger

...Wait doesn't Corey usually review GL: New Guardians? Eh a good review is a good review, this is the only Lantern book I'm actually interested in tbh.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liwanag said:

@hushofthewind said:

@liwanag said:

@kivatt said:

@dondave said:

So I'm not the only one.

Nope. We are Legion.

I saw Justin Jordan at NYCC, and I almost went off on him in a fury of blind rage over this whole Kyle and Carol thing. Good thing I held myself back from doing that.

P.S. The New Flash writers were going to get worse than him.

liwanag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By liwanag

@kivatt said:

@liwanag said:

@hushofthewind said:

@liwanag said:

@kivatt said:

@dondave said:

So I'm not the only one.

Nope. We are Legion.

I saw Justin Jordan at NYCC, and I almost went off on him in a fury of blind rage over this whole Kyle and Carol thing. Good thing I held myself back from doing that.

P.S. The New Flash writers were going to get worse than him.

how long does justin jordan plan on continuing this kyle and carol thing? is it because kyle needs a (controversial) supporting cast for new guardians.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Guerraa

As someone who normally reads New Guardians every month, let me say it normally is pretty bad but this month's issue is pretty freaking good. I loved almost everything about this issue. Kyle and Carol continue to be nothing but whiny little cry babies as they have been in most recent issues. Those two deserve each other if you ask me. I was beginning to think this writer was terrible, but he produced an awesome issue this month. Watching the Guardians have to deal with Kyle and Carol reminds me of having to deal with my children's non-stop whining, and I can't help but like the Guardians more because of it and end up siding with them almost every time. Loved watching Highfather manipulate the crap out of Kyle. I thought the last Green Lantern Corps issue (act 1 part 3) was pretty bad, so I was thinking this one was definitely going to be bad. Boy was I pleasantly surprised.

superwomanlois

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Wonderful issue.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This was a great issue and Highfather really is epically powerful! Loving this Storyline, but overall am sick of crossovers and was on the point of ditching GL books tbh.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By JuliusTakalua

I know. I h8 GL crossovers.... so goddam inconvenient

But godhead us worth it. Maybe from now on dc could just make a GL event ad a weekly series? Build up the event slowly with different books but wgen the event comes around, have it all in one book. 100pg issues or lengthy weekly issues.

And commmon sense would have dc understand that we dont need an event every 6 regular issues. Getting real tired of this practice by dc snd marvel.

Esp marvel... marvel just sucks now with event after event. Most of them aren't even related to each othet. I'm completely ignoring every single Marvel event at this point. Unless the reviews are good

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

Loving this event so far. Only question is when can we see Hal fight Orion again, their last scrap was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA! was that even a fight, that was more like Orion and his boys swatting annoying fireflys away.