inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Hal fights Agarushnawokliag, who feeds on willpower, brings him back to Mogo, fights him again, with the help of some other Lanterns, Hal has a drink with his brother, and then there's one heck of a cliffhanger.

Fans of the series that have been keeping up with all the news know exactly what's coming next, Godhead. In this next event, characters from 4th World will be heading into the Green Lantern books. The final few pages of this issue are that reveal, and it's laid out extremely well and gives readers just enough to get pumped for the upcoming story, even though they have to wait for October.

There's some really nice moments in this issue that focus more on Hal's family that break up the event madness GREEN LANTERN had since the latter part of Johns' run and into Venditti's. Hal and his brother share an intergalactic adult beverage and talk about their lives, and it's written incredibly well and even though these two are on another planet, the conversation feels real and natural.

Three different artists on this book, and while it's obvious when they switch, the styles are similar, so it's not a shock to the reader, and what's really helpful is that Alex Sinclair did all the color work, which is wonderful. Billy Tan worked on the opening scene, and as always, he puts out some top notch artwork. His action sequences are full of life and place the reader right into the story. He was easily the strongest artist here. Martin Coccolo did the larger chunk of the interiors, and his style is a bit more realistic and down to Earth than Tan's. Both styles work well and tell the story of Hall Jordan well.

The Bad

The issue is pretty much filler as well as a bridge to the next arc, which starts in October because of the who September Futures End month. The bridge is shaky, at best, and because of a few very interesting/bizarre decisions Hal makes here, the focus of the issue is a bit all over the place.

Hal is fighting Agarushnawokliag, who feeds on emotion, including willpower. After Hal beats him, Hal brings Agarushnawokliag to Mogo... a living lantern that has willpower streaming through it. Hal comes off like a bit of an idiot here, bringing a character which gets stronger with more willpower to a planet that is essentially all willpower. Obviously, we all know what happens next.

Now, maybe I'm a bit jaded because I loved Simon Baz's introduction and Venditti has said Baz is coming back in this issue, but Baz's appearance here is pretty forgettable. He has two lines of dialogue in the issue and is basically a stand-in. It seems his appearance here was more about moving the chess piece to the next space and to be around characters delivering expository dialogue. It was a bit of a let down.

The Verdict

GREEN LANTERN #34 is an alright issue. It feels like merely a filler issue with one hell of an ending. There are some moments in here that simply don't make any logical sense, but there's also a lot of heart here. It doesn't offer the reader too much other than a glimpse of what's to come in October with Godhead. It's not a bad issue, but not one you have to race to the LCS to get. If you want a bit of the antagonist's motivation for the upcoming story, pick this up. Overall, it's just ok.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Ugh, this reminds me that next month is Future's End month. Looks like it'll be all Marvel and Image in September.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Is Hal's role as GL, or any of the earth GLs ,known to the public? Thats one of the things I liked was Kilowog constantly on Hal about the mask in the GL-cgi show. Just seems to me, one of those top teir guys in DC should be public.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@COBRAMORPH: even guy made fun of him when they were in space

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't get why you love Baz Mr. Elfring, he's barley done anything, and he feels so out of place in the GL books. (no offense sir)

@cobramorph: John and Guy both have public identities, Hal's identity is known by the government (and I think they know Baz's identity too) and Kyle's identity is a secret from the public and government.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also (can't believe I forgot to talk about this) I absolutely loved this issue, it was so nice to slow down a bit, I think Venditti really shines when he lets characters have nice personal moments. I loved seeing the kids on Mogo, it was so much fun, and the conversations between Hal and his brother were a great way to deconstruct everything. Overall a really good issue with some good art, I highly recommend buying it even if your not usually a Lantern reader.

Also, THAT LAST PAGE!!!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6 inferiorego  Staff

I don't get why you love Baz Mr. Elfring, he's barley done anything, and he feels so out of place in the GL books. (no offense sir)

His introduction into the GL books was fantastic, but since then, DC has done nothing with him. I loved his backstory and the idea he was a character who some saw as a terrorist because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. He kept trying to prove himself as a hero and then.... he disappeared. I fell into the hype. But again, his introduction was awesome for me

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: But I feel like that doesn't belong in a GL book. The Green Lantern books are a very surreal series meant to be out of this world, while Baz is a very down to earth modern character. I think it was a mistake to throw Baz into that type of world. Plus we already have so many Green Lanterns that fans fight over, and adding a new one already gets hate from more purist fans. I remember feeling good that a character like Bunker, a Hispanic homosexual, was still part of the Titans, because that type of back story lends itself well to a book like the Titans, which deals with characters and their personal problems. I'm not saying I don't want Baz, but I do feel like it was a mistake to give him a back story that ties into 9/11 and modern racism, to a book that has nothing to do with that, and to give him the exact same powers as already established popular characters.

http://redkha.deviantart.com/art/Simon-Baz-Sinestro-Corps-344581129
http://redkha.deviantart.com/art/Simon-Baz-Sinestro-Corps-344581129

I think the best way to handle Baz is to make him A Yellow Lantern, who still works for the Greens (similar to Razor from GLTAS). That way the fact that he is feared ties into him being a Lantern, and so his character can be properly developed.

Until something like that happens, I can't honestly say I care about the character.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By soumya

I waiting for the new gods to take the central stage

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was very "meh" and why the misleading cover? I'm skipping the futures end book , I hope things get better with the Highfather arrival.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phocracker

What a waste of a subscription. Green Lantrn needs to step it up. I thought third army was going to be epic, it ended up being filler, for something that was just lame. Then we got 12 more issues of lameness after that. Oh, and the 14 issues before the third army? L-a-m-e. That bad guy intro at the end of 34? Lame.

Superman 10/10

Batman 10/10

Star Wars Legacy Vol 2 10/10

Captain America 10/10

Flash 7.5/10

Justice League 3000 7.28/10

Justice League 7/10..

Aquaman 6/10

Green Lantern 6/10

Green Lantern Sinestro Corps 9.7/10

GL Crew, bring us something majestic please :( Make me goggle in awe when I see the new Green Lantern Issue standing high)