5 Developments from GREEN LANTERN #36

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

GREEN LANTERN #36 came out this week. It was the first part of act two of the Godhead story line. While the various Lantern corps have been meeting and battling members of the New Gods, act two slows things down and drops a ton of infobombs on the readers. Writer Robert Venditti revealed a lot about the arc, its characters, and the history of the DCU pre-52. Here's what we learned this week.

Warning: There are spoilers to GREEN LANTERN #36 here. You've been warned.

5. In-fighting between New Gods

No Caption Provided

The New Gods all seem to be working towards the same goal: make the Life Equation into a weapon to use on Darkseid and destroy Apokolips. While the New Gods seem like the antagonist for this event, their actions are for the greater good. However, we see problems between father and son. As you may or may not know, if you read GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #35, Highfather helped Kyle Rayner and took him back to New Genesis because working with the Lanterns is easier than killing them off. His son, Orion, wants to fight and stop the Lanterns from draining the emotional spectrum. They're not worthy to have the power, in his eyes. Orion is a fighter and ends up leaving claiming it's the only thing he has a talent for. Could this lead to more turmoil within the New Gods ranks?

4. Everyone knows about Kyle Rayner

No Caption Provided

Kyle Rayner "died" a long time ago, saving the universe after Relic tried to stop the different Lantern corps from draining the universe of the emotional spectrum. However, the Guardians knew Rayner survived and he's been to the other side of the source wall. After quite some time, the Guardians reveal to the Green Lantern and Sintestro Corps that he's survived and no one is happier than Saint Walker. In addition, they reveal they lost Rayner, as he went onto New Genesis.

3. Blackest Night & Brightest Day are canon in a sense

No Caption Provided

One thing that reader have been unsure of since the start of the New 52 is which classic DC stories actually happened in New 52 continuity? Lots of new series seemed fresh and in their own world, but GREEN LANTERN seemed like more of a continuation of the Pre-52 run. As shown in the picture above, Sinestro mentions Blackest Nights and Brightest Days while going over their history together, pretty much letting everyone know that these stories happened in continuity. These were two huge story arcs in the last volume, so it's great to see that these events happened in the past. However, they may not happened exactly as we all remember because it was a different world. Does this mean that there's even more stories from Johns' iconic run that happened in the New 52?

2. An uneasy truce

No Caption Provided

Sinestro trained Hal Jordon. They've always had a bizarre father/son relationship. However, they work surprisingly well as a team. When there's something larger that one man can't handle on his own, Hal and Sinestro are usually good about setting aside their differences in order to fight the powers at hand. Here, Sinestro and Hal make amends, for now, and team up to find out what's going on with Kyle and the New Gods. This is a team up that needs to happen if the members of the Lantern corps want to survive this event.

1. Hal asks Black Hand for help

No Caption Provided

In the biggest "no way" moment of the issue, Hal realizes that the New Gods have searched out a member of every lantern corps in existence, except for one: the Black Lanterns. Although they aren't the powerhouse they used to be, Black Hand is still kicking around and running an all-undead circus that featuring the Flying Graysons and Harry Houdini. As twisted as that may be, Hal Jordan comes to the undead circus to ask for Black Hand's help, giving off the idea that this story is so large and problematic that Hal even has to work with one of his most twisted villains.

There you have it. Some huge things happened this week in GREEN LANTERN. What did you guys think of this issue and where it's headed?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

This Godhead event is great read. Please if you're fans of Cosmic please read this event :)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Sinestro always wanted him and Hal to be buddies again

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

That undead circus thing is pretty great

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This event has been so good. Clear some space on your pull lists people, because this event is definatly worth reading.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. We already knew that Highfather wanted to use that power as a weapon against Darkseid. And we already knew that Orion and Highfather weren't on the best of terms.

2. I loved this moment. Its been about a whole year that Kyle has been mostly on his own or with Carol and the Guardians. I also LOVED how Sinestro reacts to the Guardians saying that Kyle is the most powerful.

3. I believe We had already been shown that these events happend during the Volthoom event(first lantern)

4. I love that theyre back working again. When they started the new 52 run with them working together, i feel that those were some of my favorite issues.

5. Black Hand being involved is going to be nuts. Thats all that I need to say.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Koays

It seems like every book in my pull list just gets me more hype for when Darkseid, Highfather, Earth 2 and the New 52 all have their big crash.

Between GL, JL, Batman and Robin, Futures End and the Earth 2 titles I'm expecting some sort of "Omega Crisis" and for it to be the greatest thing ever.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@captainmarvel4ever: If Constantine gets cancelled I will be PISSED. It has already become my favorite comic book show.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig said:

@captainmarvel4ever: If Constantine gets cancelled I will be PISSED. It has already become my favorite comic book show.

Honestly it's the only show I care about, it would suck beyond description if it were canceled, Constantine and us fans deserves a show like this. So do what you can to support it, fight to keep it on the air.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#11  Edited By SynCig

@captainmarvel4ever: Oh I have been already and I will continue to. Once I heard it would be on Friday at 10 I was concerned about the longevity of the show. I have been getting as many people to give it a shot as I can. Even my non comic book reading friends (which is most of them to be honest) are watching so I'll stop pestering them about it. Once they actually watched they really enjoyed it though.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I may have to catch up on this series.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

j4zzm4n88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't read GL since issue 20 but this event looks fantastic ! Does anyone know when this will be collected as an HC or trade ?

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda want Hal to beat up Kyle for making a pass at Carol... I mean..WTF is that about ?

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if constantine gets cancelled it could be good as Guillermo Del Toro and Joseph Gordon-Levitt can direct their Vertigo movies such as Justice league dark and Sandman but it could also be bad as warner bros. might think that because the shows were cancelled the movies won't survive the box office. @captainmarvel4ever@syncig. Also @koays anti-monitor would also be joining that battle and a giant brainiac.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JuliusTakalua

I sort of hoped that Orion would help out the Lanters... cus you know.. Hal Jordon? Justice League? And his relationship with Wonder Woman?

Also, I hope the Godhead will have like 10 acts or lead into a sequel event... Like the Darkseid Wars. And link up with the Earth based heroes. It'll be interesting to see Orion a part of the JL and see how Mr Miracle, Barda, and Fury all come back to the main New Gods plots...

I'd LOVE to see Darkseid stomp everyone and then fight Orion, his own son. Would love to see how powerful the New Gods are. See some divine shyt!!! But also see some interesting dynamics between the New Gods and the multiverse... Maybe somewhere along the line bring Anti Monitor? Bring him along but don't crowd the event. I'd love to see some good writing done for the New Gods. Maybe an Orion on-going or New Gods on-going... Develop Orion's character from young fratty warrior to the old school hardcore king of badasses.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Who else thinks that if the White Lantern has the life equation, that the Black Lanterns have the anti-life equation?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@juliustakalua: That could pave the way back for Hal to join the JL again...

Avatar image for scarletknight2814
ScarletKnight2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j4zzm4n88:

This will be collected on May the 19th as a hardcover (RRP $24.99) Collecting Issues 35-40, and the annual 3 (it will come out a month after 40, so u can easily catch-up)

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never read any lantern books before but this is awesome and i been reading them now!

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@al_capown: I only read GL and it's frustrating because it's obvious that crossovers are happening and you're missing out on the stuff but I think GL is a great series. Godhead is teh first event I' mactually reading. It's been great so far.

If you have torrent, then just torrent GL and the related series.

liwanag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gl 36 was one of the better titles in the godhead event i think. i liked how blackhand can be funny and twisted at the same time. so hal get's to team up with sinestro and blackhand, he's running out of rogues and probably need to re-stock.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@zearing: I hope Black Lantern is not part of Anti Life Equation. Black Lantern represent Death. Well Jack Kirby has said many times when he is alive during interview that Anti Life is not equal to Death. Unlike Thanos who only want Death, Darkseid represent Anti Life which is control and destroy freedom

j4zzm4n88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for scarletknight2814
ScarletKnight2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j4zzm4n88:

Ohhh, then you have to wait for either August or September, mate.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zearing: I hope Black Lantern is not part of Anti Life Equation. Black Lantern represent Death. Well Jack Kirby has said many times when he is alive during interview that Anti Life is not equal to Death. Unlike Thanos who only want Death, Darkseid represent Anti Life which is control and destroy freedom

I hope so.... But then again, it's just easier to have Black Hand as a part of the Anti Life Equation. And maybe it'll turn out to be a mistake to team up with him by Hal because then Darkseid acquires Black hand and gets his powers in order to further complete the Anti Life Equation? Bing D'OH! moment for Hal.