Grayson #10

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

GRAYSON keeps getting better and better. It’s almost hard to think back to Dick Grayson being a spandex-clad superhero. I’ll admit, Dick transitioning from a vigilante to a spy seemed like a strange idea to me but it was one I was opened to seeing fleshed out. Tim Seeley and Tom King have been carving out a great little world for Dick the spy to explore.

One of the minor aspects that bothered me a little before was Dick constantly calling and checking in with Batman. It was a way to keep the book and character tied to his old lifestyle but it also made it feel like Dick couldn't handle things on his own. Obviously this isn't the case and it was more that Dick was working with Batman in order to make the mission to infiltrate Spyral succeed. Now that Batman's status quo has changed a little, we are finally seeing Dick fly on his own. There is also more of an actual spy element thrown in but him having to completely cut his ties to his past. With the current story full of mystery, intrigue, and possible betrayal, it has all the making of what you would want in a great spy thriller. Throw in Lex Luthor and the fact that Dick died the last time they met, the layers of intrigue and suspense are building.

As great as it always is to see Lex, it did feel a little out of place. I'm trying not to let continuity affect my reading enjoyment but I had to stop and think about where did this Lex came from? You can never tell what his angle is but with him being part of the Justice League and with his new look in BATMAN/SUPERMAN, we had a return of the more straight-forward businessman Lex clearly acting on his own. It's not much of a complaint and there could be a completely logical explanation about Lex's behavior and attitude but it just threw me off a little.

The art by Mikel Janin with Jeromy Cox's colors is just fantastic. DC needs to make sure they keep this creative team together because they, along with Seeley and King, are knocking each issue out of the ballpark. I'm becoming more and more used to seeing Dick in action without his Nightwing suit. That's something I couldn't imagine saying. Janin and Cox are adding the perfect vibe to the feel of the stories.

I do admire how far GRAYSON has come since we first saw Dick make the move to becoming a secret agent. Seeley and King are pouring in the spy drama and intrigue that keeps us on the edge of our seats. Janin and Cox's art and colors are gorgeous and fit the book nicely. I'm still waiting for a certain female to appear again but I'm completely enjoying each issue as they come. Who would’ve thought the former Robin would be allowed to come so far? If you’ve been holding onto the notion that Dick needs to be a costumed superhero, you need to see just how much he's changed and grown as a character in this series alone. I can't wait to see what'll happen next.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is that you Archer.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Lex always makes any book better, and that's extra the now that he's part of the Justice League.

I also agree, it's a shame that so many fans are passing this up just because he's not Nightwing, even though this series does such amazing things with Dick's character.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

I read the first ten or so issues of this, just not feeling it, had to drop it. Will probably grab trades.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book can be as good as it wants to be but I still want Dick back as nightwing. This just isn't right.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@g_man: Really? Man, felt so much longer. ha. Last issue I read was right before Convergence...so, whatever issue that was.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

This book can be as good as it wants to be but I still want Dick back as nightwing. This just isn't right.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might get this in trade

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Kidd

I like it, the story gives Dick a new environment to play in for a while as well as makes him more individualized from the other Bat family members.

@jayc1324: out of curiosity why exactly it isn't right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the best Dick has been in years, but many people won't give it a chance because he's not wearing tights or fighting under Batman's wing. Some fans are so afraid of change, even when it's good.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I cant wait to see Dick go back to being Nightwing but Grayson is on a roll right now

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought the saying about comic book readers and their fear of change was a joke but it has really become the truth lately between this book and batman.

Seems like everyone just wants to keep reading the same stories over and over again...

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JayAaerow

I am in no rush to get Dick Grayson back into Nightwing. To me, his books should of been something similiar to this: Making him do things on his own, tie-in nicely with the DCU, having a supporting cast, create a Rogues Gallery, and not tie him down to anything. To be honest, he's getting the treatment every decent hero needs. A balance between being solo adventures and crossovers as well as putting Dick in uncomfortable situations.

Many people criticize the books for dumb reasons like the "objectification" issue. I get there's a lot of fanservice but who cares? Objectified people don't get to go toe-to-toe with Midnighter, know the weaknesses of Justice League a la Batman-style, portrayed to be competent enough to spy on a un unconventional espionage organization, etc. And in comparison to truly objectification, it's so tame. Yes, people know he's good looking and has a good butt but really, it only comments. And the gay baiting this is so dumb. Midnighter nearly beat him. And Dick has already slept with a woman.

And it's sad when they feel that Dick is only worth something in a costume (Despite there being god knows how many BatClan characters in which are trying to seperate themselves from Batman and be their own person in a similar story to his, making him less and less unique and how the Robin role is redundant and turned into a intern job) when stories emphasize Dick Grayson is Dick Grayson, whether he be Robin, Nightwing, Batman, and now a Spy. And act as If the Batfamily and Titans is all he's good for.

I'll surely give it some time since it's only been a year but this is the first time in a long time Dick has been given individual treatment that's actually good. Media tends to downplay him and DC themselves had for so long until now, and I can only think it's because Grayson happened and it is one of the first time the New 52 has did something it promised without it being screwed up in months/year later. Now they're trying to make him along with legacy characters something.

He's always been used as a vehicles for other characters but for the first time in a long time, Grayson doesn't allow it and DC knows not to touch upon it. And now when he vehicles other characters, he's getting a good cut along with those behind him. Helena gets a new origin that's not riddled with the mess of when DC got lazy and merged so many aspects of Helena Wayne that the reboot caused a mess for her as well as being a more obvious POC that's just cool, Midnighter becoming so popular just from appearing in Grayson to the point he has a solo series bouncing off from the developing world of Grayson has set itself in, and cool crossovers are happening.

While Grayson isn't perfect by all means, it's fun and one of the best books to compliment a character, especially one who rarely has any good noteworthy story that doesn't span from him just participating and has him front and center. And a book that reminds me that DC can make good books. I just hope other books gets a treatment similar to Grayson. One that's not afraid to be bold while staying within reason in terms of characterization and understand what it takes for that character to be SOMETHING.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jayc1324 said:

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@sprior93: I know. It's the sad state of comic fandom. They are used to a status quo with these characters and don't want it to change no matter what. Don't they realize that the status quo they love was brought about partly BECAUSE of changes to the previous status quo like this???

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him better as a spy. So many more directions to take him in.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By SaintWildcard

Oh man! I love Lex.... not sure if I should grab or not

regie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am Dick Grayson

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can stay Agent 37 as long as King & Seeley have stories to tell because they have done a good job with the first eight issues and the new arc feels even more dynamic. Things are starting to get into motion with Spyral, other espionage groups and using the grander DCU. I wanted good stories with Dick Grayson and this is the first time since years that I get them.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

What a series. My favorite DC book currently and that means a lot considering its competition.

Grab it you will love it. Lex is just so smart, charming and arrogant it is awesome.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a series. My favorite DC book currently and that means a lot considering its competition.

@saintwildcard said:

Grab it you will love it. Lex is just so smart, charming and arrogant it is awesome.

Ho boy, you sort of just gave this book the kiss of death for me. We tend to be on the opposite side of.... everything. Now I don't want it

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@saintwildcard said:

Ho boy, you sort of just gave this book the kiss of death for me. We tend to be on the opposite side of.... everything. Now I don't want it

Don't be silly. We at least have a common liking to Lex. And we both consider Red Son Lex the best. If that says something to you, buy this book.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Lvenger

@saintwildcard said:
@squalleon said:

@saintwildcard said:

That's very petty but if you really feel that way, this is one of the few DC comics I actually can enjoy reading as well. What does that make it now?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Saren

@jayaaerow: Warning for language. Don't do it again.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: ??? If you may, please point me to the word in which warrented this warning?

HeatedBronco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HeatedBronco

This book hasn't even hit it's peak but I still really like seeing Dick as Agent 37. It just feels right.

@ultragreenboy said:
@jayc1324 said:

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@sprior93 said:

This is the best Dick has been in years, but many people won't give it a chance because he's not wearing tights or fighting under Batman's wing. Some fans are so afraid of change, even when it's good.

Amen brother. :P I know what you mean and what you are saying. I've never been this hooked with Dick Grayson for years.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Squalleon

@tdk_1997 said:
@sprior93 said:

Amen brother. :P I know what you mean and what you are saying. I've never been this hooked with Dick Grayson for years.

Its the best Dick has been since Morrison's Batman and Robin! His New52 title was such a backtrack and the constant crossovers destroyed any direction the title got.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@jayaaerow: I edited the part where you said "F**king Midnighter nearly beat him".

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

This was a fantastic issue, filled with little easter eggs. According to comicbookroundup the last two issues have made it the highest rated DC series and in the top 10 overall. Likely won't stay that way but who knew a Dick Grayson solo title would reach those heights.

Though it is kinda funny that CV gave it the lowest rating so far with a measly 8 out of 10.

Long live Agent 37, may we keep getting fresh quality stories involving Dick Grayson!

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to remember dick as a costumed hero because hes been a spy for ten issues? He was robin/nightwing for almost 75 years...

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@sprior93: I know. It's the sad state of comic fandom. They are used to a status quo with these characters and don't want it to change no matter what. Don't they realize that the status quo they love was brought about partly BECAUSE of changes to the previous status quo like this???

That's why Superboy-Prime is a thing. He is a direct reflection of comic fandom in it's purest form.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: Well, they did better than IGN with 6.8 who ignored every other developement because Lex Luthor's appearance seemed forced to them.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SaintWildcard

@squalleon said:

Don't be silly. We at least have a common liking to Lex. And we both consider Red Son Lex the best. If that says something to you, buy this book.

CURSE YOU! PLAYING ON MY LOVE FOR RED SON! .... either way I trade wait on it. I still haven't even read the first volume I bought at SDCC.

@lvenger said:

That's very petty but if you really feel that way, this is one of the few DC comics I actually can enjoy reading as well. What does that make it now?

I seem to recall you saying you'd only check out a book if Squall liked it, despite the hype it got from everyone else. Either way I don't see how it's a bad thing, it's no different than waiting for a reviewer you agree with to decide on whether you'll see a movie or buy a book. Yes my comment was dickish (funny dickish) (pun intended), but the one thing it's not is meant to be taken as his opinion on stuff is bad, it's just that we haven't really agreed on much on what we want from Superman. It's the same as his sarcastic digs at things that I like.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see more praise for this book lately. I know the death of nightwing really turned alot of people off. But guys, Dick as a secret agent is such a perfect fit. I was wary of it when I first heard, but this book has been phenomenal week in and week out. I encourage all Dick fans to pick this up. And the art is just freaking gorgeous. Good move DC, good move!

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to remember dick as a costumed hero because hes been a spy for ten issues? He was robin/nightwing for almost 75 years...

Dont forget that he's been a spy for a little over a year and and he appeared in other books.

Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
thekidfliessolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else think Luthor on the cover looks like Voldermort? Maybe just me, but i think it is the color of his face that reminds me of him, minus the nose obviously.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:
@sprior93 said:

Its the best Dick has been since Morrison's Batman and Robin! His New52 title was such a backtrack and the constant crossovers destroyed any direction the title got.

Indeed. To be honest, Morrison's and now Seeley and King's representation of the characters are the only ones I've ever cared about. I love Dick but he has never been that interesting on his own rather than in a group.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:
@squalleon said:
@tdk_1997 said:
@sprior93 said:

Indeed. To be honest, Morrison's and now Seeley and King's representation of the characters are the only ones I've ever cared about. I love Dick but he has never been that interesting on his own rather than in a group.

Dixon's run was also very good. Its currently being reprinted you should give it a try :) Or at least Nightwing: Year One.
Dixon is pretty much the writer who gave us Dick's best stories, Robin Year one, Nightwing, the Birds of Prey issue with Oracle and Dick. Good stuff.

Other than that, I personally feel that after Dixon the Nightwing persona went to hell and I thought Grayson was a great change of pace, focusing on the man rather than the mantle.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:
@squalleon said:
@tdk_1997 said:
@sprior93 said:

Dixon's run was also very good. Its currently being reprinted you should give it a try :) Or at least Nightwing: Year One.

Dixon is pretty much the writer who gave us Dick's best stories, Robin Year one, Nightwing, the Birds of Prey issue with Oracle and Dick. Good stuff.

Other than that, I personally feel that after Dixon the Nightwing persona went to hell and I thought Grayson was a great change of pace, focusing on the man rather than the mantle.

I've read Dixon's run on Nightwing and to be honest I wasn't that hooked. I liked Year One but it was nothing special or memorable. I've also read Devin Grayson's run and I enjoyed it far more that the one from Chuck Dixon.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

I've read Dixon's run on Nightwing and to be honest I wasn't that hooked. I liked Year One but it was nothing special or memorable. I've also read Devin Grayson's run and I enjoyed it far more that the one from Chuck Dixon.

And then with those we have pretty much exhausted the pool of great Nightwing stories :P I guess it is up to taste but I consider Dixon one of the main guys who made the Batman comics awesome.
Anyway, I would lie if I say I prefer it to Grayson. I feel that by ditching the Nightwing title Dick finally got on his own. He is not longer Batman-lite but a great swashbuckler with his own cast and crew. I hope Batman and Robin Eternal keeps that tone.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

And then with those we have pretty much exhausted the pool of great Nightwing stories :P I guess it is up to taste but I consider Dixon one of the main guys who made the Batman comics awesome.

Anyway, I would lie if I say I prefer it to Grayson. I feel that by ditching the Nightwing title Dick finally got on his own. He is not longer Batman-lite but a great swashbuckler with his own cast and crew. I hope Batman and Robin Eternal keeps that tone.

Yeah, the memorable Nightwing writers are definitely only Dixon and Grayson while for Dick as a whole we have to add the best one of all - Grant Morrison.

I agree with you. His current status is the best that we can get from Dick and his supporting cast and he is actually a hero of his own. But I think that Batman and Robin Eternal is going to be garbage.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this series so much

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@jayc1324 said:

What's the logic in that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: There doesn't have to be logic in me wanting something.