gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

There's just something about this book that raises my spirits. It pretty much oozes charm as we embark upon reading the adventures of some new characters in the DC Universe. Usually it takes me a little bit to warm up to new characters. There's the matter of learning who they are and finding a reason to care about them. From the first issue, I had no choice but to start caring about the new characters, Olive and Maps.

While we don't know a lot about the characters, you just get the feeling that there is something going on with them. With Olive, there's is the matter of what happened the previous summer that has her, and others, on edge. Why is she avoiding Maps' brother, who was her boyfriend last time anyone checked? It sounds like there might be a lot of school-type drama complete with some mean kids tormenting and poking fun at Olive but, as I said, there's just a great sense of charm that has grabbed my attention. With the bigger mystery of what happened to Olive and what's the deal with her family, there is also the fact that something possibly sinister is going on at the school. Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher's story simply has me completely hooked.

And then there's Karl Kerschl's art and the colors by Geyser and Dave McCaig. You can definitely say this is visually different from the average New 52 title. Sometimes change and 'something different' can be good. We're still in the New 52 but it's like we're getting to explore a whole new section. With just two issues out, I couldn't even imagine someone else handling the art duties.

The Bad

Some may be put off by the lack of immediate answers. Without knowing everything, it might feel like there's too much high school drama in the title. Hopefully readers can really see what's going on in this series. We don't really get many answers here but there is enough to capture your interest in wanting to find out more.

The Verdict

GOTHAM ACADEMY is quickly moving up the ranks to becoming one of my favorite titles. Brand new series with an entirely new cast of characters can be tricky to pull off, especially with so many other titles on sale. Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher are giving us a new series with a lot of charm. You can't help but be interested in the plight and unknown backstory of the main character. Karl Kerschl's art and colors by Geyser and Dave McCaig make this visually different from the other DC books and it's a nice change of pace. Check the book out if you're looking for something different instead of the same old formula we've seen too many times.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Looking forward to picking this up, I wonder if this comic will last or not? If it doesn't stick around long I hope the writer and artist will, I'd love to see more from them.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

I didn't like the first issue, but I'll give it one more try with this one.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

series is amazing. DC did good by green-lighting this one.

stoked to pick up on friday night to read

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would of given it a three the were alot of good parts, but they need to add a bit more levity to the series.

Also Did anyone else think it was super weird of pomline to leave the library after they just started working together.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By COBRAMORPH

It'll probly be canceled by Valentine's day. Wonder how long until Olive is put into a small ,skin-tight costume, gets a pair of large fake boobs, which she trys to show off along with her butt at the same time on the cover, unly to be bruatlly murdered in the next.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love this series. 5 stars all the way.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is this going to cross over with Gotham by Midnight?

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loved the first issue and look forward to picking this up on weekend.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is good book to read for every age. From kids to adults :)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cobramorph: no :'( Please don't do that. Not every story have to be dark. We need more fun book in comics nowadays

Firetears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hooked from this issue. Very well-done. Definitely deserving of the 5 stars, imo.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine should be in this book

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By galacticshrub

So far, this just keeps getting better. Can't wait for issue #3!

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Guerraa

This comic has been so much better than I thought it would be. Not surprised that the big criticisms are "we don't know everything yet" and "it's too slow". Why is it that no one has any patience anymore? I'll just keep shaking my head. Hope the writers take their time and keep things mysterious. That's one of the strong points to this comic.

Avatar image for reversekidflash
ReverseKidFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ReverseKidFlash

Got the 1st 2 issues. I enjoyed it. It IS a definite change for DC, the art and the tone, even with the barrage of new 52 stuff. This and Batman/Superman seem to have some really appealing changes.