inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

After playing Dr. Henry Wu in this summer's Jurassic World, BD Wong is taking on another doctor, Dr Hugo Strange on Gotham, according to USA Today. Strange will be a recurring role on the Fox show and he will be a professor and psychiatrist set to head Arkham Asylum. While he's there to help, he'll also be experimenting on inmates to try to create super-humans for Indian Hills, which fans got to see this past week on the show.

No news yet on what episode we'll see Strange, but we'll keep you updated. Gotham appears on Mondays at 8/7c on Fox.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I can see it. Wasn't he a psychologist in Law and Order too?

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Stellar421

Where's the guy who asked "would you be alright with an Asian actor playing Batman?" This is the next best thing: A Batman character.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I haven't seen him as a doctor was when he was on the X-Files.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just watching that X-Files episode too. It disturbed me when I was a kid.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6 inferiorego  Staff

Oz. He played a prison priest and he was awesome.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it! He's played a Criminal Psychologist for years on SVU, and he can do cold really well. I'm all for this.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 NightFang3  Online

Good choice

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao This is some twisted casting...I'm gonna be looking at his sessions in SVU in a whole different light

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Well shoot I really dig BD Wong now I kinda want to watch Gotham darn you good casting darn you.

KalvinEllis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KalvinEllis
@stellar421 said:

Where's the guy who asked "would you be alright with an Asian actor playing Batman?" This is the next best thing: A Batman character.

Eh they had a Latin Sarah Essen, it was not out of the question that they would racebend someone like Strange. Though considering how this seems to be such a popular trend in comic book adaptations now, I'm sure we're in for a treat when the castings for the high profile roles start rolling. Don't be surprised to see a black Mary Jane or Asian Harry Osborn in the Spiderman reboot.

HempKnight757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz: I agree. Gave up on the show half way through last season & have never looked back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

From Oz to Gotham.

Poor guy :(

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BD Wong is a good choice.

vojtavem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I´m sad he probably won´t have the upside-down face, but I can see him as Strange. That electricity guy from the first season would have been perfect though.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms said:

Oz. He played a prison priest and he was awesome.

And on Mr. Robot. Very little screen-time, but given the significance of his character, he'll likely be around more in season 2.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@sprior93 said:

From Oz to Gotham.

Poor guy :(

You know Too Many Cooks? This show should've been called Too Many Villains. XP

zackattack93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp im done with this show.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#19  Edited By The Impersonator

Okay. I would be fine if it were a black actor playing Hugo Strange. But an Asian? Hugo Strange is not an Asian name.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel so sorry for him for being cast on such a crappy show.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After seeing the hideous job of casting Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl, im glad they finally race changed a character in a way that might actually work!

zackattack93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There so worried about deversity that they dont say "well does he resemble the character? This isnt some c list character, hes got a rich background. Lets try and resemble the comics as much as we can with a good actor who looks the part"

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@kalvinellis: Oivee...racial changes to comic book characters once again. I guess they will make some lame excuse saying a German man meant an Asian woman and hugo strange is their baby.

zackattack93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: or hes just the proto hugo strange *cough cough jerome cough*

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can dig it.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Stellar421
zackattack93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@stellar421: just like penguin was for a while the proto joker. Oh well. I can only hope a distinguished actor can play the cinematic version of hugo strange in the future.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Eventually we'll get tired of reacting like

"He's Asian!"

Hopefully

marcohtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He must have a closet full of lab coats and doctor jackets from all the roles that he has done over his career.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LAWL And LOLder Gotham!!!

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

He's an awesome actor... but again this is GOTHAM. Acting doesn't matter on this show.

~MiB

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By sinestro_GL

Though I don't watch Gotham, I'd like to note my approval for an Asian benefiting from a race-swap in the comic book realm

lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lb70145

@kalvinellis said:
@stellar421 said:

Eh they had a Latin Sarah Essen, it was not out of the question that they would racebend someone like Strange. Though considering how this seems to be such a popular trend in comic book adaptations now, I'm sure we're in for a treat when the castings for the high profile roles start rolling. Don't be surprised to see a black Mary Jane or Asian Harry Osborn in the Spiderman reboot.

They cast Iris West as a Black Woman in The Flash and she's doing just fine. It's like race/skin color doesn't matter unless the character's background is tied to race/skin color or something.

@the_impersonator said:

Okay. I would be fine if it were a black actor playing Hugo Strange. But an Asian? Hugo Strange is not an Asian name.

Seriously? Maybe his ancestor's name was changed when they immigrated. Maybe he has white ancestry. Maybe he's adopted. Maybe he legally changed it. There are tons of ways to explain. But even then, do they have to? Strange is such a generic name anyway.

I come at this being an Asian with the least Asian name possible.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By darkdetective27

Is he shaving his head and growing a beard? Otherwise he shouldnt be Hugo Strange. Though I guess I really shouldnt care since the show sucks.

brian88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahahaha I get it....Hugo "Strange." Nice one DC! Nice one!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

@lb70145: Do you have a problem with a black actor to play as Hugo Strange? Take a look at The Flash, the Suicide Squad, MOS, etc. The white characters from the comics are being played by black actors. No complaints there.

Besides, it may make sense for an Asian to be adopted and have their last name. But that just takes the character origins away from the comics. I just can't see him as Hugo Strange.

If you take a look at this image from the JLU series. You can easily tell a black actor can play him.

No Caption Provided

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another white character gets his race changed...color me shocked.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

f*ck you television. you had a character that looked just like him but then you made him the goddamn Electrocutioner

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lantern1210: Does it even matter!? Hugo Strange was made in a time where a comic character's race was always white. There are more than just white people on this planet, it's not crazy that they have someone not white play Hugo Strange. Also it's not like they changed his character for diversity, they changed it because the writers thought this character was a good fit for the personality of Hugo Strange. Hugo Strange's race was never the key part of his character, it was his personality. As long as this actor is like that then it shouldn't even matter.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_jakeriv: That's because ALL comic books were created by....wait for it....WHITE males. And even still there were plenty of non white characters. Im all for diversity, I just feel they should be creating new characters to do it, not changing race and sexuality for no reason. Iris West, Jimmy Olsen, Hugo Strange, Johnny Storm, Nick Fury, Aquaman...if I'm so far off base, ask yourself this. What would the reaction be if a new shaft movie were made and Shaft was Mexican? Or if the Jefferson's were rebooted as a white family like what was done with the Honeymooners, one of THE most iconic TV series of all time. Or if Storm was suddenly a Native American Male. Leave long established characters backgrounds the hell alone and come up with something fresh and original. This is all insulting, and just lazy charachter development. And I say all this as someone who is 1/4 Algonquin. I know what it's like to have ancestors discriminated against, enslaved, and be victims of genocide.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lantern1210: I get what you're saying but they didn't cast BD Wong as Hugo Strange for diversity. That's not how casting works, they don't care about that. They casted him because they liked his acting, I just don't like how everyone is making it seem like that they casted him because of diversity. I somewhat get why they change character's skin colors, I don't like it but i get it. Do you know how hard it is to make popular new characters in comics? It's not the 60s anymore where everyone reads comics. I don't think they should be changing skin colors (Wally West) but I get it.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_jakeriv: I hear you man. Wong is an excellent actor and I'm sure he'll knock it out of the park. It just irks me when they change major aspects of long standing characters, that's all.

As to your comment about difficulty in creating successful new characters, you make a good point. However, on the flip side of that coin, shouldn't the people clamoring for these changes support the content which is created to appease them? Or is the point merely to get rid of white characters?

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Meh

lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_impersonator said:

@lb70145: Do you have a problem with a black actor to play as Hugo Strange? Take a look at The Flash, the Suicide Squad, MOS, etc. The white characters from the comics are being played by black actors. No complaints there.

Besides, it may make sense for an Asian to be adopted and have their last name. But that just takes the character origins away from the comics. I just can't see him as Hugo Strange.

If you take a look at this image from the JLU series. You can easily tell a black actor can play him.

No Caption Provided

No I wouldn't mind if he was played by a black actor either. I was pointing out in my other reply that often when a character's race/skin color was changed it wasn't a big deal (for the story, it is a big deal to fans and other internet denizens). The case is no different here.

And again with the last name thing is just silly. I mean, it could even make for a good story if they explored his upbringing or family history if it is relevant to the show/Batman mythos (I don't really know much about Gotham because I don't watch it). And again for a real life example, my last name is of German ancestry but I have no German roots whatsoever, but I am Asian. A source of frustration for my family for decades.

The writers can easily explain this whole thing, if they are even going to explain it. Maybe his family changed their name when they came here, maybe they were assigned the name, maybe he legally changed his name to that because of something he did in the past and needed to hide his identity, maybe he is using a fake name, or maybe it just doesn't matter and they not going to address it. It is all up to the writers of the show. Again, the West family in the Flash is black and they don't have to jump through hoops to explain that. Heck, even in Gotham Leslie Thompkins, who is often depicted as a older white woman, is being played by Morena Baccarin.

And while he could totally be played by a black actor, using the animated version is not really necessary to justify it. Especially since in that scene, I am sure it was lighting because here he looks more white.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

I thought he already appeared, he escaped arkham in season one?

Avatar image for divine_disorder
Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Divine_Disorder

@stellar421 said:

An Asian actor already played Superman back in the 90s. It's nothing new. I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

Avatar image for divine_disorder
Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hugo Strange from the Arkham games reminds me of Laurence Fishburne. I think he'd make an awesome Hugo Strange in the movies. Except he's already Perry White. But BD Wong's a great actor too. He was a flamboyant wedding planner in Father of the Bride, for crying out loud. Now there's a non-doctor role for you.