inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Felipe Smith and Juan Gedeon present one of the weirdest and wildest things to come out of SECRET WARS yet: GHOST RACERS. It's pretty obvious that a lot of what's going on here is inspired by both films Death Race 2000 and the Death Race remake. The title of GHOST RACERS pretty much says it all. A whole bunch of people who have been Ghost Rider race each other. It's pretty cut and dry from page one.

So far, we've seen how these Secret Wars books tie-in to the main idea of the book. GHOST RACERS exists on its own plane and doesn't care what else is going on. Sure, there's elements of the rest of Battleworld here. Doom is still the God King, but the issue really focuses on building up the race, the racers, and the person in charge of it all, who I am super excited about being in this book: Arcade, and you can check him out in the preview for this week's book here.

Beware of the puns ahead, but GHOST RACERS steps on the gas right from the first page and never takes the time to step on the brakes. Ok, I'm done. I promise. The book is pretty fast-paced and nuts. The action sequences are exciting and there's actually a little bit of humor here as well. Felipe Smith does a really solid job writing this book and providing a lot of bang for your buck.

I'm really digging on what Juan Gedeon and Tamra Bonvillain are doing with art here. It gets pretty chaotic and the art has this cool cinematic feel to it. Plus, we get to see redesigns of all our favorite Ghost Riders and most of them work pretty well.

The Bad

This book does revolve a lot around Robbie Reyes, so if you missed out on the last volume of ALL-NEW GHOST RIDER, it may not be as friendly to you as a reader. However, at the same time, you don't need to know too much about the character other than "he's the Ghost Rider with the wicked car." I'm not really feeling the redesign of Carter Slade. His face and body look great, but his lower torso just isn't working for me. There are also some times with inconsistent artwork. There's a few times where the art gets a bit too chaotic and it doesn't read as well as it should on the page

The Verdict

GHOST RACERS is just a lot of fun. There's nothing huge happening here but you will feel for these characters racing against each other. The book stands on its own because it's just dealing with the area and the people within it, so it's a nice break from a lot of the other books, who are a bit more tethered to what's happening in the main book. Simply put, this is a Ghost Rider book unlike anything else. GHOST RACERS has more of a "What If" feel to it more than anything else we've seen so far. It's out there but it's a ton of fun. If you got extra cash and want something with a lot of action, check this issue out.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been waiting for this one.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Will pick up although I'm not a fan of ghost rider

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of curious which Ghost Riders are in this, looks to be only the 616's.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BloodTalon

I am looking foreword to getting this on Friday. I love Ghost Rider and hope he has a place post Secret Wars.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By ScrappyDont27

Loved Felipe Smith on All New Ghost Rider, very much looking forward to reading this!

Avatar image for galactushungers
GALACTUSHUNGERS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be great. Robbie Reyes had the best Ghost Rider book in decades, and I can't wait to read the continuation of his story!

ExtraLarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ExtraLarge

Do any of these series really tie into the main event other than mentions of god Doom and the existence of barons? I have been entertained by almost all the Secret Wars tie-ins but I was hoping for more series that added to the overall experience of Secret Wars rather than series that could easily be stand alone what-if tales.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for galactushungers
GALACTUSHUNGERS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By Teerack

Was it as mad max as i was hoping?

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Robbie Rayers: Best Ghost Rider ever! *_* Hope he gain his rightfull place in the new Marvel :)

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ethrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Johnny blaze makes it out of secret wars :( if he doesn't that's just bad writing. I mean I love robbie, but I'd rather see Johnny still alive after secret wars.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blaze needs to be the one that makes it out. Blaze and Zarathos are the most powerful of the riders..It'd make absolutely no sense for him to die