inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Scarlett Johansson has been on quite the role the past few years. She played Black Widow in both the Avengers and Captain America: Winter Soldier and is now onto star in an adaptation of one of Japanese Anime's most popular franchises: Ghost in the Shell.

In an exclusive with Variety, Johansson has officially signed on to star in Dreamworks' adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. Rupert Sanders will be directing the film, Avi Arad and Steven Paul are producing and Bill Wheeler is scripting the film.

Johansson will most likely be playing the film version of Motoko Kusanagi, a cyborg and squad leader of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime. The film deals with the cyborg-character's struggle to understand her nature and whether or not she has a "ghost," all while solving crimes.

Steven Spielberg, the principal of Dreamworks, has waited a long time to get this project off the ground and is a fan of the original. The hope is that with Johansson is now attached to the film, it will have a better chance of being greenlit.

What do you guys think of this news? Can she play the part of Motoko Kusanagi?

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Was it really that necessary to make a movie based on this? Is Hollywood running out of original ideas? Don't care much for Scarlet either.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

WHY ARE YOU REMAKING THIS

DONT F*CKING DO THIS TO ME

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Awesome. Love GitS and hope the adaptation is good...

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ain't nothing like the real thing babe!!

Even Scarlett!!!

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

An American live-action remake of an anime with a white person as the star? Those always turn out great!!

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it really that necessary to make a movie based on this? Is Hollywood running out of original ideas? Don't care much for Scarlet either.

NO! NO!! NO!!! I can't see her as the colonel. IMO she's now an overexposed actress.

Personally I don't have an issue as long as they would change the locations and change the names to fit that location.

Personally I would prefer a Lupin III movie than a GITS.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How funny, I just finished watching the Scarlett Johanson skecth on Robot Chicken before clicking here.

An American live-action remake of an anime with a white person as the star? Those always turn out great!!

Edge of Tomorrow turned out good

Avatar image for street_level_hero
Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great, now we get to see her in everything (sarcasm).

She is cute with a nice figure, but I really don't see the hype: she was not that great of a Black Widow imho. She has more of that small-town, down-to-earth, vibe to me.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, given Hollywood's history of making derivative films from Japan there's a good chance she'll be Motoko.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagozzino said:

Agreed, though it wasn't based on an anime. "All You Need Is Kill" was originally a novel.

Deathstroke02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Edge of Tomorrow.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lagozzino
Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would people here be mad if a Japanese movie company made a Batman movie and had a Japanese man play Bruce Wayne?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@captainmarvel4ever said:
@lagozzino said:

Agreed, though it wasn't based on an anime. "All You Need Is Kill" was originally a novel.

Same thing really, I doubt Ghost in The Shell's anime adaption was very different then the manga, and even if it was it shows the franchise is open to interpretation.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagozzino said:

@captainmarvel4ever said:
@lagozzino said:

Same thing really, I doubt Ghost in The Shell's anime adaption was very different then the manga, and even if it was it shows the franchise is open to interpretation.

You're all glossing over my point, which is that American live action adaptations of Japanese manga/animes tend to turn out FANTASTIC!

They either end up in development hell for a fantastic amount of time, or they end up as cult hilts for those of us who enjoy fantastically bad movies. ;)

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

I'm just gonna say anime movies should be left as anime movies.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

Would people here be mad if a Japanese movie company made a Batman movie and had a Japanese man play Bruce Wayne?

Bruce Wayne? Not really, unless the movie took place in Japan and he was still named Bruce Wayne; then it wouldn't make any goddamn sense. A Japanese Batman, however, would be perfectly fine.

This movie would be perfectly fine just as long as they don't try to give everyone Japanese names and have them play Asian or Japanese characters. Creating new characters that are obviously in the vein of the manga and anime would be perfectly fine in spite of the fact that that Hollywood could've used the original characters and original setting and no one would care and would enjoy it nonetheless.

Besides, whitewashing is a serious issue, the reverse isn't; see the recent Exodus movie as a current example.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

Whatever, don't get why people are mad, don't like it, don't go watch it.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever, don't get why people are mad, don't like it, don't go watch it.

Dragon Ball Evolution and The Last Airbender (not an anime, but people still see it as one) still make people question American film adaptations of anime.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go away Scarlet Johansen!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy sh!t! I can't believe they're STILL trying to make this movie O_o

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Noooooo, Don't do it!!!!!

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

@sbyrstall: they already made a lupin movie that came out last year. unless you mean an american version....

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_stegman  Moderator

@micah: I get being dubious, but no need to rage over it. Not like it's replacing the source material. I hated Last Airbender, but I have the original series to keep me happy.

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Neat. Though I'm sure Scarlett will be pretty good you know there's going to be a ton of people pissed about this.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, and don't forget that Akira is still "in production" too.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By micah007123

@micah: I get being dubious, but no need to rage over it. Not like it's replacing the source material. I hated Last Airbender, but I have the original series to keep me happy.

I agree. After seeing Edge of Tomorrow, I think Hollywood finally knows what to do with manga/anime. Still waiting on the REAl DBZ Film LOL.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117 said:

Yup, and don't forget that Akira is still "in production" too.

Ugh.

I swear, if they touch Ninja Scroll...someones getting dropkicked

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

Bruce Wayne? Not really, unless the movie took place in Japan and he was still named Bruce Wayne; then it wouldn't make any goddamn sense. A Japanese Batman, however, would be perfectly fine.

This movie would be perfectly fine just as long as they don't try to give everyone Japanese names and have them play Asian or Japanese characters. Creating new characters that are obviously in the vein of the manga and anime would be perfectly fine in spite of the fact that that Hollywood could've used the original characters and original setting and no one would care and would enjoy it nonetheless.

Besides, whitewashing is a serious issue, the reverse isn't; see the recent Exodus movie as a current example.

I agree, I think whitewashing is a problem too. My point is that if a Japanese company made a Superman movie, and had Japanese actors portray Clark, Lois, Zod or whoever, I personally would not be very mad about it considering it would probably be made in japan, aimed at a Japanese audience, and with Japanese speaking actors lol idk it kind of makes sense to me.

As for this movie, I would have gotten the girl that played Ada Wong in RE Retribution, she might be able to pull off the part.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Awesome. Love GitS and hope the adaptation is good...

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even like her BW to be honest...

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds awesome.

I don't understand the b**ching.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. Will wait to see the rest of the possible cast.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@captainmarvel4ever: in what universe? all american adaptations i know of/have seen are all awful. (dragonball, edge of tomorrow, heck they cant even their own like aeon flux and last airbender right ) and all of the japanese live action? good to great. death note, detective conan, cromartie high, and lovecom to name some of my favorites for example. but art is suggestive. im sure someone will watch and love this just not me

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By micah007123

@captainmarvel4ever: in what universe? all american adaptations i know of/have seen are all awful. (dragonball, edge of tomorrow, heck they cant even their own like aeon flux and last airbender right ) and all of the japanese live action? good to great. death note, detective conan, cromartie high, and lovecom to name some of my favorites for example. but art is suggestive. im sure someone will watch and love this just not me

That one was actually quite good.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mje360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not okay with this. Johansson is a great actress and I like her as Black Widow. I think they an all new actress who can act out not only dish out the pain, but also command and be as respectable as "The Major."

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

They should cast mickey Rourke as scarlet's partner. The guy with those cybernetic shades installed his head.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why but I get the feeling that this is gonna be one of those movies that's good as a movie but terrible as a Ghost in Shell movie. Kinda like that Constantine film with Keanu Reeves

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Avi Arad is producing? Oh geez, as if screwing up Spider-man wasn't enough.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

A Japanese live-action version should be made first.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Ok removing the whole potential for Hollywood white washing (or more crassly just droping white folk into Japan without bothering to change locations).

I like Scarlett Johansson, she is a fine actress go watch Under the Skin and heck Lucy is like an action fevored dream attempt at a Terrence Mallik piece.

But man who else is attached just makes me think they're going to mess it up. Rupert Sanders debut feature for directing (Snow White and the Huntsmen) was genericly boring but compotent. William Wheeler did write the Reluctant Fundamentalist but man Avi Arrad is involved and that man simple dose not understand film.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhh did gon b gud

{Based}

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

Not to be an ass, but "Scarlett Johansson has been on quite the role the past few years." is incorrect. It should be "roll" not "role". Unless I am wrong.

Nit picking aside, well, maybe, I am a bit curious why they chose her for this role. (Ha!) She's managed to carve herself an interesting niche in action movies but alas, I really think the part calls for a woman of Asian descent if not someone totally Japanese.

My gripe about the ethnic and race depictions being changed for characters from their original source material continues. I can be flexible as they're just fictional characters but some characters, well, not to be a jerk, really need to remain true to their source.