Zendaya Will be Playing Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man Homecoming!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Wait is this an MCU movie or a MTV tv show? The amount of teenagers is confusing me

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#302  Edited By jumpstart55
  • Its been confirmed shes not playing MJ just some character named Michelle.
  • But wow the initial response to her playing MJ was just sad an cringe worthy to watch.
  • Bane could go from a hardened South American prisoner to some white dude and no ones bats an eye.
  • Nick Furry can go from some white David Hasselhoff looking guy to Shaft with an eye patch.No one bats an eye.
  • Billie Dee Williams plays Two Face,Laurence Fishburne plays Perry White..No one cares or even bats an eye.
  • But as soon you threaten to change the red head girl from down the block..Everyone loses their mind..lmao
DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#303  Edited By DarthAznable

@jumpstart55: People did bat an eye at Bane though. Ultimate Nick is black. Perry White is a minor character and Fishburne is a good actor.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By jumpstart55

@darthaznable said:

@jumpstart55: People did bat an eye at Bane though.

They must of been kinda quite or only a few of them made noise.And .I,m pretty sure it didn't come anywhere close to matching the reaction to MJ. Because everywhere from twitter-facebook was reacting harshly to Zendaya playing MJ...

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By DarthAznable

@jumpstart55 said:
@darthaznable said:

They must of been kinda quite or only a few of them made noise..Because everywhere from twitter-facebook was reacting harshly to Zendaya playing MJ...

Social media is a bigger buzz now than it ever was. Other factors like Hardy's acting talent, the reputation of the Nolan movies, a large base of people weren't comic fans, etc come into play. Compared to Zendaya, what does she have? A bunch of Disney stuff and she was on Dancing with the Stars. lmao

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By jumpstart55

@darthaznable said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@darthaznable said:

They must of been kinda quite or only a few of them made noise..Because everywhere from twitter-facebook was reacting harshly to Zendaya playing MJ...

Social media is a bigger buzz now than it ever was. Other factors like Hardy's acting talent, the reputation of the Nolan movies, a large base of people weren't comic fans, etc come into play.

I,m pretty sure Tom Hardy's exceptional acting talent shut down whatever noise people were making about him..I remember reading a fews comment making reference to him being played by a white guy but nothing too serious..It certainly didn't send a lot of folks into a frenzy like the MJ news..And Its bigger then just social media.. People just don't like the idea of MJ being race washed..I guess people feel her red hair and slight ginger attributes are as much apart of her character as her relationship with Peter..

And MJ isnt that hard of a character to play.Shes just a regular average teenage girl.Shes not even a teenager whose dealing with really bad emotional issues, shes just the captain of the cheerleader squad type..Id say Zendayas experience on Shake it up is more then enough to play MJ.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 juiceboks  Moderator

@darthaznable: Comparatively Bane's character is a lot more complex and as the primary antagonist it's understandable people would be skeptical about his ability to fill the role adequately. Teenage Mary Jane isn't that deep of a character, and she's a supporting role like Aunt May. I don't see why people would be so distressed about Zendaya's ability to play a teenage girl.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Does anyone else realize that Tony Revolori as Flash Thompson is a billion times worse than this?

The dude is shorter than Holland for Christ's sake, and he is the least intimidating person I've ever seen.

I just googled him. W. T. F. much?

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: Right? Apparently they envision that guy becoming Agent Venom lmao

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: She's not but look at Spider-Man and how huge of a fanbase/recognition he has. She may be a supporting role but she's a big part of Pete's life and the whole beautiful red-haired girl next door might as well be her superhero costume. It's another case of picking and choosing what pre-existing characters we want changed per usual. I personally don't care as long as it doesn't feel hamfisted just for the sake of "Hey look guys! We're diverse!".

@darthaznable said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@darthaznable said:

Social media is a bigger buzz now than it ever was. Other factors like Hardy's acting talent, the reputation of the Nolan movies, a large base of people weren't comic fans, etc come into play.

I,m pretty sure Tom Hardy's exceptional acting talent shut down whatever noise people were making about him..I remember reading a fews comment making reference to him being played by a white guy but nothing too serious..It certainly didn't send a lot of folks into a frenzy like the MJ news..And Its bigger then just social media.. People just don't like the idea of MJ being race washed..I guess people feel her red hair and slight ginger attributes are as much apart of her character as her relationship with Peter.

That and again, it's a Nolan Batman movie. Had two great movies prior to TDKR and again I'd argue that the movies had more regular movie fans than comic fans. I'm pretty sure no one outside the Internet cares too much either way outside SOME comic/Spider-Man fans and of course race baiters. It's the Internet and society in general, people make noise about everything now.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: She's not but look at Spider-Man and how huge of a fanbase/recognition he has. She may be a supporting role but she's a big part of Pete's life and the whole beautiful red-haired girl next door might as well be her superhero costume. It's another case of picking and choosing what pre-existing characters we want changed per usual. I personally don't care as long as it doesn't feel hamfisted just for the sake of "Hey look guys! We're diverse!".

@jumpstart55 said:
@darthaznable said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@darthaznable said:

I,m pretty sure Tom Hardy's exceptional acting talent shut down whatever noise people were making about him..I remember reading a fews comment making reference to him being played by a white guy but nothing too serious..It certainly didn't send a lot of folks into a frenzy like the MJ news..And Its bigger then just social media.. People just don't like the idea of MJ being race washed..I guess people feel her red hair and slight ginger attributes are as much apart of her character as her relationship with Peter.

That and again, it's a Nolan Batman movie. Had two great movies prior to TDKR and again I'd argue that the movies had more regular movie fans than comic fans. I'm pretty sure no one outside the Internet cares too much either way outside SOME comic/Spider-Man fans and of course race baiters. It's the Internet and society in general, people make noise about everything now.

Agreed.

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By Prospero_Locke

the question about the casting is what does it serve? is there really going to be a mixed girl who sees Zendaya play MJ and say "omg I relate to her because shes mixed" as compared to a natural, freckled redhead? or the Guatemalan boy who is playing flash Thompson. The dude is supposed to be the quintessential American jock. blonde hair, built, handsome, etc. not saying he cant pull it off, but instead they cast a guy shorter than parker. how is that going to work? he needs to bulk up big time before he would even look the part in one facet. I have no problem with there being diversity in the film, but why not give peter diverse friends? whats next, Harry Osborn is gender swapped to be Harriet? come on now.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• But wow the initial response to her playing MJ was just sad an cringe worthy to watch.
  • Bane could go from a hardened South American prisoner to some white dude and no ones bats an eye.
  • Nick Furry can go from some white David Hasselhoff looking guy to Shaft with an eye patch.No one bats an eye.
  • Billie Dee Williams plays Two Face,Laurence Fishburne plays Perry White..No one cares or even bats an eye.
  • But as soon you threaten to change the red head girl from down the block..Everyone loses their mind..lmao

Why would it be cringe worthy to see people want a character to, you know, actually match their source material counterpart? Emma Stone with red hair looks more like MJ than Zendaya does. It would be like if they cast Kristen Stewart to be Captain Marvel and then someone complained about people not liking her for the part. Bane? You have to take into consideration that a majority of the CBM viewing audience are non-comic readers..Most of them don't know that Bane is non-white. As someone else pointed out, Fury's been black in Ultimate Marvel since 2000. Hell..His Ultimate appearance was based off of SLJ to begin with.

People who are for this change are probably the same ones who cried racist over Iron Fist being cast as a white man

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By jumpstart55

@manmadeofketchup said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Why would it be cringe worthy to see people want a character to, you know, actually match their source material counterpart? Emma Stone with red hair looks more like MJ than Zendaya does. It would be like if they cast Kristen Stewart to be Captain Marvel and then someone complained about people not liking her for the part. Bane? You have to take into consideration that a majority of the CBM viewing audience are non-comic readers..Most of them don't know that Bane is non-white. As someone else pointed out, Fury's been black in Ultimate Marvel since 2000. Hell..His Ultimate appearance was based off of SLJ to begin with.

People who are for this change are probably the same ones who cried racist over Iron Fist being cast as a white man

• The fact that they want MCU MJ to look like her comic counterpart is not cringe worthy..That's understable i would feel the same way about Supes or Black Panther..Its the blatantly racist comments i,m referring to that are cringe worthy..I,m not just referring to the initial reaction on comic vine but all across the internet..Some of the comment were horrid.
  • And about Bane: If your a fan of Bane from the comics then you sure as hell know that Bane is South America(No excuse for that)..I wasn't referring to CBM fans at all when i made that post..I was strictly referring comic fans.
  • And about Nicky Furry: The only reason comic fans didn't get mad about Nick Furry who was essentially a play off of American icons(Which at the time was a White man with rugged good looks) of the 1960s who was made to resemble a suave cool Super Spy from the 1960s..Like Bond or Napoleon Solo..The face of Cold War era Western Civilization.. And the reason people didnt care about Nick Furry changing races..Was becuase it was done in a tasteful manner(It being the ultimate version is not the only reason as lot of people roared and complained about Colossus being turned gay in the ultimate universe becuase as such it wasn't done in a tasteful matter and didn't really make sense for his character....Nobody cares about the changing of a characters race if the actor portraying said character absolutely kills it in the role in a breakout performance.. (The only exception to this role is unless its absolutely integral to the chrachter that he stay the same race)..
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manmadeofketchup said:
@jumpstart55 said:

• The fact that they want MCU MJ to look like her comic counterpart is not cringe worthy..That's understable i would feel the same way about Supes or Black Panther..Its the blatantly racist comments i,m referring to that are cringe worthy..I,m not just referring to the initial reaction on comic vine but all across the internet..Some of the comment were horrid.
  • And about Bane: If your a fan of Bane from the comics then you sure as hell know that Bane is South America(No excuse for that)..I wasn't referring to CBM fans at all when i made that post..I was strictly referring comic fans.
  • And about Nicky Furry: The only reason comic fans didn't get mad about Nick Furry who was essentially a play off of American icons(Which at the time was a White man with rugged good looks) of the 1960s who was made to resemble a suave cool Super Spy from the 1960s..Like Bond or Napoleon Solo..The face of Cold War era Western Civilization.. And the reason people didnt care about Nick Furry changing races..Was becuase it was done in a tasteful manner(It being the ultimate version is not the only reason as lot of people roared and complained about Colossus being turned gay in the ultimate universe becuase as such it wasn't done in a tasteful matter and didn't really make sense for his character....Nobody cares about the changing of a characters race if the actor portraying said character absolutely kills it in the role in a breakout performance.. (The only exception to this role is unless its absolutely integral to the chrachter that he stay the same race)..

Except as I said, a majority of the CBM viewing audience are non-comic readers. The only ones complaining about Bane were those who knew his comics, or bothered to play the Arkham video games and noticed that Bane had an accent.

"Nobody cares about the changing of a characters race if the actor portraying said character absolutely kills it in the role in a breakout performance.."

The only people who don't care about who plays the role so long as it's good acting are either A.)People who will take whatever a film company spoonfeeds them, B.)SJWs who think this it's "representation", or C.)People who don't care much about the source material. "If they can act good" is a terrible argument that can justify a number of changes to a character. We may as well turn Mary Jane into a man if good acting is all the validation one needs to play the role

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By Black_Arrow

@manmadeofketchup said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Bane is white (at least he has being painted that way since his first appearance), and he is half american. His mother was also white. He should have an accent and throw Spanish words every now and again. The eye color is also wrong.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By jumpstart55

@manmadeofketchup said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@manmadeofketchup said:
@jumpstart55 said:

Except as I said, a majority of the CBM viewing audience are non-comic readers. The only ones complaining about Bane were those who knew his comics, or bothered to play the Arkham video games and noticed that Bane had an accent.

"Nobody cares about the changing of a characters race if the actor portraying said character absolutely kills it in the role in a breakout performance.."

The only people who don't care about who plays the role so long as it's good acting are either A.)People who will take whatever a film company spoonfeeds them, B.)SJWs who think this it's "representation", or C.)People who don't care much about the source material. "If they can act good" is a terrible argument that can justify a number of changes to a character. We may as well turn Mary Jane into a man if good acting is all the validation one needs to play the role

• You aint hear a damn word i said..Either your comprehension skills are off or your just nitpicking..(Read everything i posted)
  1. If an actor who was generally mistrusted by comic due to them having very little faith that he or she could play said character well ..Manges to have a breakout performance as said character..Its always forgotten..( Chris Evans, Michael Keaton, Ben Affleck and Heath Ledger are prime examples of this.)..Thats all i meant..Good acting can often outweigh the look, thats why Hugh Jackman whose a foot taller then the comics Logan made a good Wolverine..Idris Elba made good Heimdall(And hes a freaking Norse god in the comics)..And laurence Fishburne did good as Perry White..Yet no comic fan seems to complain..Because like i said before the execution was good and it worked..I,m not condoning race changing or height changing or any physical change of any kind..I,m just saying comic fans have a short memory and and are easy to forgive when an actor kills it in the role..
  2. What was the point of you even responding to me? I cant for the life of me figure what point you were even trying to make.
  • First you point that people didint get made at the race changes that i mentioned in the post becuase a majority of comic book movie fans dont read the comics(Which is fare but their not the ones i was talking about in that post i was talking strictly about comic fans)
  • Then you mention some bizarre BS about people being mad about Iron First being cast as a white guy(Which has nothing to with the point i was trying to make, And it seems as if your throwing out random assumptions)
  • Then you completely miss the point of post by passive aggressively saying anybody could play any character..
  1. .I clearly said i understand were people who dislike the change are coming from..And heres exactly what i said to clear things up...
  2. The fact that they want MCU MJ to look like her comic counterpart is not cringe worthy..That's understandable i would feel the same way about Supes or Black Panther..Its the blatantly racist comments i,m referring to that are cringe worthy..I,m not just referring to the initial reaction on comic vine but all across the internet..Some of the comment were horrid.
  • If you still don't get the point i was trying make..So be it i,m pretty much done here..I said everything i needed to say no need to repeat my self twice.lmao
  • The whole point of you even responding to me was completely ridiculous becuase your were upset that i had a certain opinion..And since i now see that the only point of you even responding to me was to debate opinions..I,m out, since I dont debate opinions becuase i think the whole practice is absurd and toxic..So peace out..
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manmadeofketchup said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@manmadeofketchup said:
@jumpstart55 said:

• You aint hear a damn word i said..Either your comprehension skills are off or your just nitpicking..(Read everything i posted)
  1. If an actor who was generally mistrusted by comic due to them having very little faith that he or she could play said character well ..Manges to have a breakout performance as said character..Its always forgotten..( Chris Evans, Michael Keaton, Ben Affleck and Heath Ledger are prime examples of this.)..Thats all i meant..Good acting can often outweigh the look, thats why Hugh Jackman whose a foot taller then the comics Logan made a good Wolverine..Idris Elba made good Heimdall(And hes a freaking Norse god in the comics)..And laurence Fishburne did good as Perry White..Yet no comic fan seems to complain..Because like i said before the execution was good and it worked..I,m not condoning race changing or height changing or any physical change of any kind..I,m just saying comic fans have a short memory and and are easy to forgive when an actor kills it in the role..
  2. What point are you even trying to make by arguing with me?(What is your overall goal in this argument?
  • First you point that people didint get made at the race changes that i mentioned in the post becuase a majority of comic book movie fans dont read the comics(Which is fare but their not the ones i was talking about in that post i was talking strictly about comic fans)
  • Then you mention some bizarre BS about people being mad about Iron First being cast as a white guy(Which has nothing to with the point i was trying to make, And it seems as if your throwing out random assumptions)
  • Then you completely miss the point of post by passive aggressively saying anybody could play any character..
  1. .I clearly said i understand were people who dislike the change are coming from..And heres exactly what i said to clear things up...
  2. The fact that they want MCU MJ to look like her comic counterpart is not cringe worthy..That's understandable i would feel the same way about Supes or Black Panther..Its the blatantly racist comments i,m referring to that are cringe worthy..I,m not just referring to the initial reaction on comic vine but all across the internet..Some of the comment were horrid.
  • And for the love of god besure to read every single thing i wrote instead of nitpicking one thing and taking it out of context.

You're right, I don't hear a word you've said because this is the internet and this is merely text ;)

No I will not read everything you've posted nor do I need to. Don't like it? Don't respond. No good acting can NOT outweigh the look because every person you just mentioned at least resembles their character. Chris Evans looks like Steve Rogers. Ben Affleck looks like Bruce Wayne. Heath Ledger with makeup looks like the Joker. Jackman being a foot taller wouldn't be noticeable to anybody but hardcore Wolverine fans. None of them are as far off in appearance as Zendaya is in regards to MJ.

Lol Idris? Heimdall barely shows up and isn't an iconic character so nobody really cares about what happens to him. Perry White? Another character that only the comic book reading audience would know who he was. They "don't seem to complain" because they have little relevance compared to someone like Superman, Thor, the Hulk, and such. What you fail to realize is that Zendaya is no Lawrence Fisburne. She is no Heath Ledger..Hell, she's not even a Jared Leto.

Passive aggressive? If you took that as passive aggressive then that's laughable. Cut the crap jack. The "as long as they're a good actor" argument can be exploited which you obviously missed. If appearance isn't considered important and only acting skill is then there's no reason any part of MJ's appearance needs to be respected, not even her red hair. "Some bizarre BS"..Lawl, people who are ok with these changes are the same ones who cried foul when the incidents like the Iron Fist scenario happened. The only racism is coming from those making it about race, aka the ones crying racist. Unless someone's flat out saying "Mary Jane isn't a *insert the n word*" or something along those lines then I've seen very few actually racist posts about the decision.

Even if I am nitpicking, I'll do as I damn well please. I don't force you to read my comments nor do I force you to respond.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

She's not really MJ.