Would Mace Windu have beaten Palpatine if not for Anakin?

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MasterAction

I'm sure many of you have heard this question before but I needed a definitive answer on the topic. Did Windu have the necessary skills to fully best Sidious? The movie seems to hint yes but I want to know what you think. Could Windu have won?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Wolfrazer

Nope, at best they were fighting at a stalemate saber skill wise. But Sidious could have just killed Mace with his superior force skills.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Havenless

@Wolfrazer said:

Nope, at best they were fighting at a stalemate saber skill wise. But Sidious could have just killed Mace with his superior force skills.

I seem to remember Palpatine laying down on a window ledge, out of breath and helpless and Mace was about to go in for the killing blow.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolfrazer
@Havenless said:

@Wolfrazer said:

I seem to remember Palpatine laying down on a window ledge, out of breath and helpless and Mace was about to go in for the killing blow.

Was because Anakin(indirectly) gave him the edge, as he used Anakin's fear to overpower Sidious as the former was approaching. Before that however, they were fighting as equals.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

No.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spinningbirdcake

I was always under the impression that Sidious could have beaten him in the duel before Anakin showed up, but he wanted Anakin to help him to finish his transformation into his apprentice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I seem to remember Battlefront II saying yes.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Bruxae

@spinningbirdcake said:

I was always under the impression that Sidious could have beaten him in the duel before Anakin showed up, but he wanted Anakin to help him to finish his transformation into his apprentice.

This, I felt like it was part of the masterplan.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Sidious stalemated Yoda who is the most powerful Jedi in the movie universe. So Palpatine could have won but chose not to in order to turn Anakin over to the dark side.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jorgevy

everyone keeps saying he wanted anakin to turn and thus waited till he showed up, but seriously? who the heck is almost dying waiting for someone to come by just to turn them? what I saw wasn't what most people tend to tell. I've never seen any indication Palpatine was stalemating on purpose or something

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Havenless said:

@Wolfrazer said:

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wolfrazer

Already answered that Jn.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My heart says Yes, my brain says No.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jorgevy said:

everyone keeps saying he wanted anakin to turn and thus waited till he showed up, but seriously? who the heck is almost dying waiting for someone to come by just to turn them? what I saw wasn't what most people tend to tell. I've never seen any indication Palpatine was stalemating on purpose or something

Sidious is the most powerful Sith ever and (excluding the likes of Abeloth and the Bedlam Spirits) the second most powerful Force user. He would have known that Anakin was approaching and could have used TK to knock Mace of the ledge if it became necessary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Sidious stalemated Yoda who is the most powerful Jedi in the movie universe. So Palpatine could have won but chose not to in order to turn Anakin over to the dark side.

Sidious beat Yoda.

BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Not so. Yoda stalemated him and because he couldn't beat Palpatine he had to go into hiding. If you watch the cutscene after the fight you'll see.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Not so. Yoda stalemated him and because he couldn't beat Palpatine he had to go into hiding. If you watch the cutscene after the fight you'll see.

No, Yoda lost, its elaborated upon in the novelization - which IIRC was edited by George Lucas making it the highest class of canon. Plus, if Yoda had a chance to end one of the biggest evils the universe has ever seen, don't you think he would take it?

BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I'll take your word on it though I do sense a blatant contradiction between novelization and movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlueLantern1995: I beg to differ, the movie never confirmed anything :)

BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlueLantern1995

lets see Yoda and Palpatine duel. Palpatine shows himself equal. Yoda retreats. Guards come. Yoda escapes. If Palpatine was superior then he would have defeated Yoda. Yoda had to retreat because the overwhelming numbers and equal opponent would conquer him...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it is a blatant contradiction.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binski

I don't like to think of anything from the new trilogy beating anything from the old trilogy and the Emperor was playing possum with Nick Fury otherwise ol Samuel would of lost I'd think.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlueLantern1995: Except it never outright says whether Yoda and Sidious were equals or whether one was superior, the events that transpired are not confirmation either way. The reason the two battled for so long is because Yoda does come close to Sidious.

BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Okay I concede. Your view does make sense.(Remember this well cause this hardly ever happens LOL).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlueLantern1995:

:P

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Havenless said:

@Wolfrazer said:

Inphase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Inphase

Sidious waited for Anakins arrival, and, through innuendo initiated his test to join the dark side. I think if the situation was different, and Anakin chose to help Windu, Sidious would have killed both of them.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmoothJammin

@BlueLantern1995 said:

triangle theories are irrelevant sometimes though, styles make fights

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Nope.

*leaves thread before fanboys arrive*

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29  Edited By owie  Moderator

Sidious was playing possum until Anakin killed Windu, forcing Anakin past the point of no return and fulfilling the Emperor's strategy.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4