Will comic book companies give closure to their stories?

• 56 results
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By dernman

@mollydanger2210 said:

@dernman: and once you start down that road any old piece of crap can be considered art; it's all subjective. Why do we even bother critiquing then?

What is crap is a matter of opinion. There is no question that comics are an art form. Why do we bother critiquing because everyone as an opinion and they like expressing it. That's all it is though, opinion. I'll be honest some of what is considered the greatest art in the world I consider crap. It does nothing for me. That's just my opinion though.

It can't be judged like other things. There really isn't a set answer. Popular or what people consider good critics are just people expressing their opinion on what they consider to be good. They usually just have a popular opinion.

Have you ever watched a movie because you enjoyed it but the critics said it was garbage? Why should their opinion matter more then yours on if it's a good movie? The whole point is to get something out of it. To enjoy or feel something. Frack what other people think. That's what art is suppose to do. Good or bad it's to create something within the person experiencing it. It's something that's decided by each individual person for themselves.

Art is the one of the one things man or the universe created that is just based on the subjective.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Etheral_Dreams

Some comics are definitely finite in duration.

The really popular ones, however, are not. Big companies never want to lose their money makers, so they perpetually serve up a digestible pabulum of various story arcs, differing initially in writing and art styles.

To some this may sound great - a never ending story - but truth be told, it's a downward spiral. Eventually bleeding together into a monotonous cycle of degenerate characters, plot elements, random cataclysmic events, predictably bittersweet deaths, and faux-resolutions that will be nearly instantly undermined.

Rinse and repeat.

Inevitably, people get bored of the long-running cycle and move on to something truly new and different, with a definite ending, sweet, blissful closure. For a vast majority of the population, reboots just aren't palatable anymore, and they don't really want to dive into a story whose timeline and characters are viable to be rewritten in a few months or years.

Rebranding, recasting, recycling, rotations, retcons, ect.

The comic industry is only missing one R word it seems; release.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Some comics are definitely finite in duration.

The really popular ones, however, are not. Big companies never want to lose their money makers, so they perpetually serve up a digestible pabulum of various story arcs, differing initially in writing and art styles.

To some this may sound great - a never ending story - but truth be told, it's a downward spiral. Eventually bleeding together into a monotonous cycle of degenerate characters, plot elements, random cataclysmic retconning events, predictably bittersweet deaths, and (temporarily) a resolution.

Rinse and repeat.

Inevitably, people get bored of the long-running cycle and move on to something truly new and different, with a definite ending, sweet, blissful closure. For a vast majority of the population, reboots just aren't palatable anymore, and they don't really want to dive into a story whose timeline and characters are viable to be rewritten in a few months or years.

Rebranding, recasting, recycling, rotations, ect.

The comic industry is only missing one R word it seems; release.

Now this is a posted opinion that uses sense. I don't agree with it but I can respect it and it's a much better argument for someone who doesn't share my opinion.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Etheral_Dreams
ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They do have closure, but only in alternate universes for the most part. Like in Earth-2, where Kal and Bruce are happy with their families. Kal raising his younger cousin Power Girl, Bruce and Selina happy with their daughter Helena, etc. One Million and Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow are other stores that bring finite ends to characters.

But these characters are popular, so not everyone gets their end, and with reboots and alternate universes, nothing ever really ends.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The non-closure is actually why I prefer comics to magna, concept wise at least. Each story, or series of stories is independent, read them as such and don't worry about whether some story from 1984 "counts" or not. The story from 1984 had it's time and place, as does the current story. This way, these symbols, these icons can last. That Superman meant something to people back in 1940 and means something to people today is a good thing in my estimation. That way they just don't become relegated to the dust bins of history as something that "used" to be special or cultural for one specific period of time. That Spider-Man will keep doing his thing for the generations to come after I've left this earth is also a nice thought for me.

Avatar image for frank_castle757
Frank_Castle757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eventually they'll have to give some closure

I can't see these characters lasting another 75 years. Not unless these new comic movies inspire a whole new generation of comic book readers.

Because I don't think too many people under the age of 25 read comics anymore.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the good and the bad of Comics. Popular ones.

The OG companies.

That's how they make their money, asking them to give up Superman or Iron Man is akin to asking Nintendo to finally give closure to Mario. It's a well received fan favorite franchise. I understand your point and agree with it. Same time I disagree simply because I'm interested in the characters.

But manga has a great formula and usually, unlike some here think, does end. I like that the creator of a series can control the flow, story and ending of it w/o it going too far out of hands because of other people's vision for something they didn't come up with. That's like me somehow getting creative control over Apple, and deciding to explore my vision of it where we now make diapers for babies. Since poop is literally what some of these teams do to the books they get control of.