Will audiences be more positive to Namor than Aquaman?

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Aquaman is likely getting a film before Namor, and there's no doubt WB are looking to improve his image and make him as badass as they can. But that's the thing, they still have the convincing part to go through. Namor, however, is relatively unknown and lately the general public has been nothing but open to new characters. And of course Marvel's success will be behind Namor too. So do you think audiences will respond more positively-- and quickly, might I add, to Namor than Aquaman? Even if Aquaman wins people over before (due to his film releasing prior)?

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namor wears a speedo and looks like some strange, muscled fairy with petite ankle wings.

It'd be a very uphill battle to make him more enticing than Aquaman, especially AFTER Aquaman's movie comes out, assuming (hoping) it's good.

I also read somewhere on the vine that Marvel doesn't have Namor's movie rights anyway. Not sure how accurate that is.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'd rather see Namor's big screen debut as a villain. Heck you want a better way to sell a Black Panther movie make him the villain. Although he may work better in a sequel.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@metaljimmor: @tyrus: I think Paramount still owns the rights to Namor. Personally I've always liked Aquaman more, I can't really comment on what the civilians will be more open to.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@longbowhunter: I had read that somewhere that the rights reverted back to MCU.

I think as long as they present Namor in his modern way, aka leather pants and vest instead of a speedo; he could become very popular. I also think it'll be hard for WB to make Aquaman a good movie considering the publics perception of him being "useless" and "weak."

Then again, if an Aquaman movie has the same flair as Geoff Johns series then maybe people will start to love him? Who knows.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mrnoital

Namor wears a speedo and looks like some strange, muscled fairy with petite ankle wings.

It'd be a very uphill battle to make him more enticing than Aquaman, especially AFTER Aquaman's movie comes out, assuming (hoping) it's good.

pretty much this

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keenko said:

@longbowhunter: I had read that somewhere that the rights reverted back to MCU.

I think as long as they present Namor in his modern way, aka leather pants and vest instead of a speedo; he could become very popular. I also think it'll be hard for WB to make Aquaman a good movie considering the publics perception of him being "useless" and "weak."

Then again, if an Aquaman movie has the same flair as Geoff Johns series then maybe people will start to love him? Who knows.

To be fair though, does Namor even have a public perception? I'd say some buzz is better than being an unknown.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Keenko

@scouterv: I think people recognize his appearance. I used to have a pin that had him on it and a bunch of my more ghetto non-comic book knowledge friends knew that he was a waterbased character. I also think GOTG proved that the movie fans don't need to have prior knowledge about characters to try a movie about them.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

He'll probably be introduced in a Fantastic 4 movie. Since those always suck, i would be worried

_Nightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By _Nightwing

Namor FTW

Wet. Ripped. Frequently shirtless. Superhero movies seem to have uncovered a secret: a lot of women like to look at handsome men on the screen.

"Putting guys like Hugh Jackman, Henry Cavill and Chris Evans in movies seems to expand the audience. Putting both Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston in a movie may have played a part in the 48% female audience for Thor: The Dark World. And none of this shameless pandering/equality seems to have driven the old male audience away."

- comicsalliance

No Caption Provided

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For mainstream audiences, Namor is very likely gonna be hit or miss. Many likely won't take well to hi personality. I known his fans see a magnificent bastard, but people who aren't hardcore fans probably won't see it that way.

Also, like it or not, Aquaman has been on a roll the last few years. This isn't the 70s anymore and he is better than ever.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

If people can get over Captain America's 1990 movie, Batman and robin or dozens of other piles of fail they'll get over Superfriends.

No one even remembers that anymore.

And they even addressed this on one of the panels for that show (BBT I think? Don't watch). One of the actors even said he likes Aquaman and does the voice for aqualad or something. The guy "hating" on it didn't even do it out of any real reason other than poking fun and basically knew nothing about the character. Just like everyone else who do it.

and considering Marvel has somehow made people think GotG is more than another popcorn flick (which it isn't) they could likely do anything. They might even make Paul Rudd not be Paul Rudd and be Ant-Man.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

Big Bang Theory is an interesting thing to bring up, actually. While it's one of the most recent sources of "Aquaman sucks!" jokes around, if you pay attention you'll see one of the main characters Sheldon wearing an Aquaman T-shirt just like he does for every other member of the Justice League. So while Raj might think Aquaman sucks, it's clearly not an opinion held by the entire cast.

Also, Wil Wheaton voiced Garth in the Teen Titans cartoon, as well as again in Teen Titans Go! He also has a reoccurring role as himself on the Big Bang Theory, so maybe that's what you're talking about.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He's Marvel, of course everyone will love Namor.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see Namor on the big screen, it's unlikely to happen if Aquaman gets there first though.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Namor : The guy who try to bang your wife and your girlfriend

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrus:

Woah - this sounds racist, for why are we comparing these two? Just because they're both Aqua?... I kid, I kid ^__^

Um, not sure - really, sorry.

- TAS

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Even if Namor got a movie before Aquaman the general audience will still look at Namor as a Aquaman wannabe even though if anything Aquaman was inspired from Namor.(+)

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@blackwind: yeah but Marvel has RDJ so Namor is instantly better than Aquaman. Praise logic.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All you need in a Namor film is a fight with Hulk & people will like the film since Aquaman has no real villains established yet.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll look at both of them and think Aquaman is cooler. Then the movie will go on and they will see that Namor is 100 times cooler.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_nightwing: Ripped? It looks to me like Namor forgot about back day...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@silverpool: Yeah, that artist kind of dropped the ball there.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By goonage

Aquaman. Namor is an unlikable d0uche.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Now a days Heels get over better than babyfaces

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I think Aquaman would still be received better. He might still be the butt of a joke to the GA, but they still remember him and might have a nostalgia factor from those old TV shows. Plus after seeing the film they'd see how bad ass he really is.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Skit

Considering how many comics fans don't like Namor, I think the public audience may not not warm up to him. Aqua man as of recent years has gotten more respect and the jokes have started to slow down.