Will a Superhero Movie ever win an Academy Award for Best Picture?

• 70 results
Zayne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yes, but it would need to be REALLY good.

I think the key is having a strong, interesting, three-dimensional villain and some sort of relevant story telling.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel said:

If Mad Max Fury Road can, I'm pretty sure a CBM can.

mad max is one of the best action films of all time , no CBM is comparable to it except maybe TDK

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow your roll. It definitely ain't that good.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

last I heard in 2008 a academy member said when it came to Best movie The Dark Knight was definitely on the conversation..but later got rejected..As per research 80% of academy members are white people with the age of 65 and above so what more can u expect..

Mainstream CBM's will never get pickedup for Best picture atleast for next 20 yrs..Some graphic novel(Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman) may get the chance to get nominated but have to be insanely good like on a Godfather level good...but winning is next to impossible...

FableCounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A comicbook movie maybe, but a superhero movie not so sure

Avatar image for black_wreath13xxx
black_wreath13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath13 said:

No, Birdman made it clear what they think of the genre. As time goes on it will only get less likely.

TDK wasn't nominated for Best Picture. It isn't a popularity contest it's what the Academy elitists think and they are irrelevant.

me?

You made me chuckle while pissed off, if I could I'd give you smiley face sticker. ^_^

@black_wreath13 said:

No, Birdman made it clear what they think of the genre. As time goes on it will only get less likely.

TDK wasn't nominated for Best Picture. It isn't a popularity contest it's what the Academy elitists think and they are irrelevant.

Haven´t seen Birdman, what did they say ??

Simply that it's not worthwhile art. The Academy clearly agrees.

Of course those guys never gave Stanley Kubrick Best Director so wtf do they know...

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez_ said:
@birdman400 said:
@soldierofel said:

If Mad Max Fury Road can, I'm pretty sure a CBM can.

mad max is one of the best action films of all time , no CBM is comparable to it except maybe TDK

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow your roll. It definitely ain't that good.

not to you but its arguably the most critically acclaimed of all time ,and every critic has it in their top 5-10

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400 said:
@black_wreath13 said:

me?

You made me chuckle while pissed off, if I could I'd give you smiley face sticker. ^_^

@thor_parker82 said:
@black_wreath13 said:

Haven´t seen Birdman, what did they say ??

Simply that it's not worthwhile art. The Academy clearly agrees.

Of course those guys never gave Stanley Kubrick Best Director so wtf do they know...

lmao no problem ^___^

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Thor-Parker

@thor_parker82 said:
@birdman400 said:
@soldierofel said:

@birdman400: Oh yeah I understand that critics loved the hell out of it, I'm just saying that IMHO, I thought the others were better. I'm in the minority and that's fine. But I'd like to see a CBM win just because it would be a massive middle finger to all those elitists that thing CBM's are for children.

I think BvS or Suicide Squad if done right has a chance , I'm not being a DC fanboy but Marvel has a history of false advertisement in their trailers outside Deadpool , Deadpool might have a chance but everybody in Hollywood hates Rayan Reynolds as an actor lol

Hollywood doesn´t hate Ryan Reynolds, what makes you think that ??

ryan Reynolds is a terrible actor , he literally has ruined ALOT of movies , he is the last person who would be nominated for an award

He´s not, he´s ok, have you seen The Proposal ?? Or his other romance movie co-starring Isla Fisher ??

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Thor-Parker

@dasabi said:

@thor_parker82: Birdman is about an actor who used to play the superhero Birdman in movies, and now he's struggling to break out of that mold and become a stage actor. He has a terrible relationship with his daughter, his more critically acclaimed co-star constantly shits on him, the pre-opening screenings for his show are disasters, no one takes him seriously as an artist, and he's floridly psychotic and constantly hears the voice of the Birdman character tell him what a washed up loser he is. Then he kills himself at the end. Maybe.

Basically it's a really negative depiction of an ex-superhero actor, starring real life ex-superhero actor Michael Keaton. Whether or not that is a criticism of the superhero genre as a whole is up to the viewer.

Lol dude, telling me the ending was not necessary.....but thank you for taking the time to answer anyway haha.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@birdman400 said:
@soldierofel said:

@birdman400: Oh yeah I understand that critics loved the hell out of it, I'm just saying that IMHO, I thought the others were better. I'm in the minority and that's fine. But I'd like to see a CBM win just because it would be a massive middle finger to all those elitists that thing CBM's are for children.

I think BvS or Suicide Squad if done right has a chance , I'm not being a DC fanboy but Marvel has a history of false advertisement in their trailers outside Deadpool , Deadpool might have a chance but everybody in Hollywood hates Rayan Reynolds as an actor lol

ryan Reynolds is a terrible actor , he literally has ruined ALOT of movies , he is the last person who would be nominated for an award

He´s not, he´s ok, have you seen The Proposal ?? Or his other romance movie co-starring Isla Fisher ??

outside of those, he's sucked in every other movie

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

It's a possibility

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

So true that's why there awards mean less than nothing to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people are saying that a cbm won't be nominated or that TDK didn't get nominated, because of the members of the academy themselves who are mostly white dudes. But I don't see the point in mentioning this? Wouldn't it make it more realistic or make more sense that TDK would've been nominated then? Lol.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By PayneInTheAss

@thor_parker82 said:
@birdman400 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@birdman400 said:
@soldierofel said:

Buried was great, and he was the only onscreen actor in that one-

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made this fan edit months ago, do you guys think it gives an "academy award-esque feel"?

Just Batman and Superman ... no Wonder Woman, no Doomsday and lots of action, just Worlds Finest and an apparently "deeper" plot

Loading Video...

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:
@birdman400 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@birdman400 said:
@soldierofel said:

It´s just a matter of opinions man, just because you don´t like most of his movies does that mean Hollywood hates him and say it as if it was a fact.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linsanel_doctor: I dont recall writing that at all... I must have either been a) joking or b) wrong tab

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By RustyRoy

Ben Affleck's Batman movie, it will be nominated at least.