Why so many Captains?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

I sort of pride myself on the diversity of topics or characters which I write about.  I think this is sort of represented in who or what I tag in my posts as I have tagged diverse people or things like Captain Planet, the ancient Greek hero Theseus, Happy Harbor, Asteroid M, Mike Tyson, Donald Duck, Space Cabbie, and Captain Canuck (who I have actually managed to tag twice.)  Today though when thinking about my other blog post on the environment I was thinking about Captain Canuck and Captain Planet.  I also thought about G-Man topic from a couple of weeks ago about villains whose monikers begin with Doctor, and it got me to thinking how uninspired most captain names are.  It seems with a lot of characters they take whatever they are protecting or interested in and just put Captain in front of it, and just like that they have their name (especially so if there is alliteration to go along with it.)  

No Caption Provided

I was also thinking about this week of course about the unrest occurring in Libya.  An observation which I made to a friend is Colonel Ghadafi's rank.  He is the leader of the country, and has been for some time.  I guess when he overthrew the government all those years ago, he decided to keep his title for some weird reason (though he seems to have a weird reasoning behind a lot of his actions.)   In being a mostly authoritarian ruler of a country with no real constitution he could call himself any title he wanted, but still likes Colonel.  In doing so he is outranked militarily by all the generals in his country's armed forces.  When you apply this same idea to the comic book characters there is even less reasoning behind it.  Captain for most militaries in the world (except for the navy element) is not a very high rank when it comes to officers (though in police it means something a bit more prestigious) , but all these characters choose it for some reason.  Captain has a more generic meaning, buts its usually meant to have the same overall application, a captain is in charge of a sports club or a work team, but has little responsibility beyond that.  I suppose in an even more generic sense captain can just mean "master of" but this for me is even less reason to use it as a name.  There are a few Captains that are actually military (America and Atom for instance) but a lot are just regular run of the mill characters with an uninspired name. 

Maybe that is the reason for so many captains.  Comic books often need a lot of generic heroes or villains to fill in stories with generic powers and backgrounds, so why not a generic name to go with it?
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

I think maybe Captain is meant to invoke a certain level of authority, but in a relatable grounded, I am a champion of the people or common man?  

Ouch, Master of etc has a sort of sinister overtone... Master of America and Master of the Planet I am not sure would go over as well. Master of the Cold sounds pretty alright tho'

I like when a rank title is assigned to a character with a surname that also happens to be or sound like a rank title.  

Colonel Captain Major reporting for service Ma'am. Lieutenant Admiral Marshall is in the hizzle my fizzles and Capsizzles. 

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TypingKira
@SC said:
" I think maybe Captain is meant to invoke a certain level of authority, but in a relatable grounded, I am a champion of the people or common man?   Ouch, Master of etc has a sort of sinister overtone... Master of America and Master of the Planet I am not sure would go over as well. Master of the Cold sounds pretty alright tho' I like when a rank title is assigned to a character with a surname that also happens to be or sound like a rank title.   Colonel Captain Major reporting for service Ma'am. Lieutenant Admiral Marshall is in the hizzle my fizzles and Capsizzles.  "
Yes.  

He's right, Captain is a relatable office, police officers have it, and it's not too high-ranking. General America sounds rather bland and like you're talking about a population. 
_Courage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By _Courage_
@SC said:
" I think maybe Captain is meant to invoke a certain level of authority, but in a relatable grounded, I am a champion of the people or common man?   Ouch, Master of etc has a sort of sinister overtone... Master of America and Master of the Planet I am not sure would go over as well. Master of the Cold sounds pretty alright tho' I like when a rank title is assigned to a character with a surname that also happens to be or sound like a rank title.   Colonel Captain Major reporting for service Ma'am. Lieutenant Admiral Marshall is in the hizzle my fizzles and Capsizzles.  "
Hahahaha! Are you always hilarious?!
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
@_Courage_: SC is almost always hilarious.  Check my Feb 23 post for some real humour
OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaDynasty

Heh, this topic reminds me of JL episode. 

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz
@SC: What about Captain Tootsie?
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#9  Edited By Deadcool
@Emperor Gonzo Noir:  Well there is also a Captain France, Captain Italy and a Captain Spain, from the European Defense Initiative (Ultimate Marvel).
Raddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Raddra
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

Well noone would listen to Private America or Seamen Marvel(not to mention how much like a dirty joke that sounds)

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By armylife1124

When I first joined the Army I wondered why certain characters ranks never changed, the next step from Captain is Major, then lieutenant colonel, then colonel.  Those don't sound to bad with a lot of characters names, maybe it is time to promote some of them.  On the non officer side, Sergent always sounds good(most important rank in the Army), and there are quite a few characters with SGT, including Nick Fury back in the day.
I think the over use of Captain is more a a title like team captain in sports, like you said earlier, it is just a generic term for leader, I guess Leader America and Leader Marvel does not sound that good/inspiring.

stuamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By stuamerica

I believe the ranks never increases due to the perception that officers above the rank of captain (major, lt. col., etc.) tend to lead from the rear while captains retain their status as front line combatants.  Having never served in the military I cannot say comment on the validity of this belief,  but I have heard it stated several times in books, t.v. and college lectures.   Therefore, maintaining the title captain, by those with combat experience anyway, may be explained by this.
The fact that the term is rather common throughout military and civilian nomenclature probably is the primary reason for its abundance.  One usage that I do not think has been mentioned is "captains of industry."  I realize this tends to be almost interchangeable with robber baron, but its existence further proves the fact that the term captain generally garners respect.  Regardless of career, someone referred to as a "captain" tends to command respect.  The fact that the title usually has to be earned, even in ceremonial instances, also lends credence to its use.

I apologize if I tend to ramble.  That is how I tend to think.  This is considerably more coherent than how I talk given I can at least reread my comments first. (though I almost always still leave words out or misuse words entirely)

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Staff Sergeant America doesn't really have the same flow.

IIDEADxPOOLII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IIDEADxPOOLII

And Captain Cold
Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Kairan1979

And let's not forger Captain Dynamo (Image Comics).

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By caesarsghost
@OmegaDynasty:
holy crap, as soon as I saw this thread I was going to go to Youtube to find this clip. Great minds think alike! Thanks for finding it!
Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Kairan1979

I just remembered Captain Carnage from Watchmen.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By joshmightbe
@battlexlordx: 
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe using Captain just sounds so groovy. using anything else just does not roll of the tongue right,

"Gen-er-al Plaaaanet, he's our heeeero" see I'm already off beat. Let me try a different way. "Gener-al Plaaaanet, he's our heeero" See, that still doesn't roll off tongue right. Let's try something else

"Master Plaaa-" Nope that's not going to work neither. This is 2011. I am not calling anyone Master.......period.

"Pri-vate Plaaaanet, he's our heeero" I cannot continue on with singing that with a straight face. Let's get off off that a try a different captain.

"BUCKY!,...... Lieutenant Bucky O'Haaaaare" Nope same problem I have with General.

"Spe-cia-list Americaaaaa, He's the symboool of freeedoooom! " OK that was just weak. Let's go back to the original

"Cap-tain Planet, he's our heeero." Ok yeah i'm digging that. "Gonna take pollution doooown tooooo zeeero" Damn, that's hot!

Ok, let's try this "BUCKY! Captain Bucky O'Haaaare, BUCKY! Captain Bucky O'HAAAAAAAARE! " It just sound so good saying captain.

"Captain Americaaaaaaa! He's the symbooool of Freeeedooooom!" $%^4 YEAH! 

So it just sounds so much better. Imagine trying to watch a cartoon called "Private N: The Gamemaster" instead of "Captain N: The Game Master" Just say it out loud and I dare you that you can't do it with a straight face.

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By mark5

Because Captain is the boss. 

:)
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points