• 124 results
Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sebast_Allen

Before I go on, this has nothing to do with DC TV or anything as biased or stupid as that, this is purely aimed at the concept of the show itself:

No Caption Provided

I think it's great that Comic-Book inspired TV series and Movies are becoming one of the fastest growing and most influential parts of Entertainment. They are paving a way for a world in which people- no matter what race, age or gender- have icons to look up to. The Avengers, The Flash, Wonder-Woman, all teaching us and showing us the purity and heart each and every one of us have... This does not apply to ''Lucifer''.

Yes, you could argue that shows like Supernatural glorify Demons and Monsters, but the difference here is that instead of playing the Glorified Antagonists, the enemies to the Good, Lucifer is playing the Protagonist, the person we should be rooting for! Yes, you could easily argue that it's just a TV show, and to some extent, you are correct, but this post isn't aimed at that specifically. What I'm referring to is the effect on Media and Public this will have. Since when was the freaking Devil the good guy, this is like making a TV show about Hitler and Heinrich Himmler and making them out to be the lovable goof-balls who aren't so bad, just misunderstood. If shows like Lucifer succeed, what kind of havoc will that wreak on a religious and mental state.

The worst of all still, is the Children. I read a review of Lucifer, and the reviewer spoke about how they watched it with their child and how great the show was. Being quite young myself, I know how much media can influence a child or Teenagers opinion, so for a child to be happily watching Lucifer, on some level,they are acknowledging the fact that the Devil himself is a 'good guy', and could very well influence their morality, thought process, and much more.

The fact of the matter is: No matter how good the show is, if something like Lucifer can be accepted by households worldwide, this will have dire effects on the world we know, whether they be big effects, or not. Even from a non religious point of view, you know that something like Lucifer is something you shouldn't be embracing wholeheartedly.

Thanks for reading, please share your thoughts, no opinion is a bad one.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

The worst of all still, is the Children.

Loading Video...

People give TV waaay more influence than it actually has.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supernatural is boring. Sam and Dean ruin everything.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im just gonna avoid it like the plague. They pretty much saw that people like villains and then made a show about the greatest villain of all. Im not even avoiding it for a religious reason, Just for the fact that it looks like a cashgrab.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show sucks but your reasoning is flawed. In this context Lucifer doesn't compare to real life, tangible evil like Hitler does. Whether you're Christian or not, nobody can look back and say the The Devil murdered my relatives unless you want to look like a crazy person. So, like it or not, at it's base Lucifer is a character from a book that is being adapted to television. It's as simple as that. You can make your now personal judgment on the morality/ethics of this television show being adapted in the first place, but, IMO, calling for it's cancellation on grounds such as that is a little selfish. I mean, a large percentage of Americans are atheist or just don't care about the literal religious aspect of the show. Why take away something they may like just because it irks you? Now, if this show was glorifying Hitler or the Slave trade, then yeah, you have an argument. But an adaptation of Lucifer? Nah.....

That being said, the show is garbage and should be cancelled on that alone lol

Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Good reasoning sir, you raised some great points!I did put a small bit in there about why even on a non-religious the concept isn't one people should be embracing, but I guess you're right, in a lot of ways, I am being a bit selfish about it, it's just I can't understand why someone would make a show about something like this.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By buttersdaman000

@sebast_allen said:

@buttersdaman000: Good reasoning sir, you raised some great points!I did put a small bit in there about why even on a non-religious the concept isn't one people should be embracing, but I guess you're right, in a lot of ways, I am being a bit selfish about it, it's just I can't understand why someone would make a show about something like this.

Yeah, but on that same note we do make movies about criminals and joke about some sensitive stuff in general. This show is just that on a less balanced scale lol

I can't see the reason behind THIS show being made, but I definitely can see the reason behind someone wanting to adapt Lucifer from the Bible. The character is simply full of potential for great storytelling. It's not like you have to make him into a good guy, but people are always interested in tragedies lol

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

And here I thought you were arguing against it because of some valid reason like

• How little it has to do with the source material
  • Or that the show is bad

But no, it's the low hanging fruit of christianity about giving a minor character from their holy book a little limelight.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You know you don't have to watch it right?

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What people miss in Christianity is that God and Satan aren't literal beings. They don't have form or sit on thrones in their respective realms.

God and Satan are concepts, they are ethereal "forms" that encompass concepts. Too often do people give them faces and clothes or even associate them with anything in our physical world.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometiiiiiiiimes.

Seriously, I haven't watched the show but anyone who uses a TV show as an excuse to be an arsehole is gonna be an arsehole regardless of the show...and there's no reason to care for any religious reason.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By birdman400

you wanna know something? DC doesn't give two DAFT PUNKS about your opinion , its gonna air regardless ,this is a COMIC BOOK show not a satan praising show

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Claymore1998

We need Lucifer because, erm... *starts singing* Aint no rest for the wicked, money doesn't grow on trees..

Hehehe I don't know I liked the pilot episode. It was a pretty fun watch. Granted yeah there aren't really that many parallels with the vertigo version of the character, but as a stand alone show it seem pretty good. I don't know the idea of devil playing a good guy appeals to me I suppose =)

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just doesn't look interesting enough to watch, like Agents of Shield and Arrow.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's garbage. If DC wants to make quality TV shows they need to take them to better networks like HBO, AMC Netflix etc. The shows they have out now are all teen drama garbage.

Andrelf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think Lucifer is an interesting and great character to work with, giving us many possibilities of good stories...with that said, the show's approach failed to get my interest and i probably won't watch it.

but in the end, it's your responsibility to determine what you and your kids are watching...if we could block every show that displeased us, there would be nothing left on tv...

if you only want freedom when it's convenient, then we have no freedom at all...

if someone wants to do a show glorifying Hitler, let them do it. If people don't agree with the show, it will have no audience and get cancelled. It's up to the public to decide...

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I don't see any of this 'degrading' American moral standing (or world for that matter) when you think about the television and movies that have become iconic over the years. Godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, hell even Game of Thrones...most of these shows feature the 'bad guys'. Criminals, mobsters, murders who kill for their own social and financial benefit...truly and tangibly 'evil' people, yet we love this stuff.

If those topics haven't ruined the world with glorifying the terrible people they feature, I doubt this will either.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Doesnt look very interesting to be honest

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

#21  Edited By Guru_Crack

@sebast_allen: You are thinking way too much thought into this. I honestly don't know the rating for Lucifer but I imagine it'll be 12 or 15. So for that reason people under that age shouldn't watch it. Granted I haven't watched any Lucifer yet, just haven't watched the First Episode yet. Will get to it.

Adults shouldn't be affected by anything seen in a movie or TV show and children if easily lead shouldn't be allowed to watch such a show. I heard that Preacher is getting an adaption into a TV series, should that be boycotted because that depicts god as the villain? Despite god being the villain makes perfect sense in the book?

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A sitcom about Hitler and Himler would be GOAT

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

ITT: "I don't like this show therefor, no one should be allowed to enjoy it."

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Heatblaze

Eh, the show sucks.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was good, but I think they dragged the show way past it's limit now.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesnt look very interesting to be honest

I agree with Mighty Guy.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By linsanel_Doctor

@heirtothekingdom said:
@linsanel_doctor said:

It was good, but I think they dragged the show way past it's limit now.

Yeah, I'm hoping Sam becomes Lucifer and kills Dean. And hopefully Castiel dies too.

Loading Video...

Unless this already happened.. I haven't watched anything recent

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MattyDaveHalPeo

Didn't read any references to Christianity in the post yet the comments mention it. The concept of the devil predates Christianity by thousands of years.

I agree with the idea that something presenting the embodiment of pure evil as a protagonist cannot be constructive. Having said that the show doesn't seem to have anything interesting about it either could well be scrapped regardless.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't read any references to Christianity in the post yet the comments mention it. The concept of the devil predates Christianity by thousands of years.

I agree with the idea that something presenting the embodiment of pure evil as a protagonist cannot be constructive. Having said that the show doesn't seem to have anything interesting about it either could well be scrapped regardless.

The show is about Lucifer....therefore all references to Christianity are applicable.....

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@sebast_allen: Hitler and Heinrick are real people. Lucifer is a mythological being... Your comparison is shit. The bible only uses the word "Lucifer" at a couple points one of which was in reference to Jesus, the other being a king. Secondly, if you know anything about DC you would know Lucifer is not the devil. The devil is the "First of the Fallen". Lucifer is more the rebellious child who got put on demon babysitting duty as groundation.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It just doesn't look interesting enough to watch, like Agents of Shield and Arrow.

Season 1 was good. However, it just went all down hill from their though...

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is like making a TV show about Hitler and Heinrich Himmler and making them out to be the lovable goof-balls

I'd watch it!

And Lucifer is a fictional character, you moron. So your comparison is trash.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo said:

The show is about Lucifer....therefore all references to Christianity are applicable.....

Along with Judaism and loads of other Abrahamic religions. You could throw in some dualist religions as well.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sebast_allen: Haven't you ever heard of an anti-hero? You act like this show invented that concept.

And lol at your Hitler comparison. That raises your thread to a solid 8/10.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo said:

The OP never stated Christianity for his motivations for why the show has been canceled.

Since when was the freaking Devil the good guy,

The commentators are the main people bringing up religion and Satan. The show is named Lucifer, yes, but the OP himselfnever stated that because it goes against the bible, the show should be canceled, or whatever you people are putting in his mouth.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#37  Edited By The Impersonator

First off, it's just a TV show. Of course, the writers would do something like this. Preacher will be doing the similar thing, except that God has abandoned humanity. If you compare that to real life, Christians wouldn't believe God has left them. He's still there, watching over them. No matter how many sins they commit.

In Lucifer's case, he's not like God. He gets bored, sitting on his flaming throne. He wanted do something fun and exciting. So, he comes to Earth and see what's going on. Compare that to real life, the devil may disguise as anyone. Or he can't be seen because sin is everywhere. So, it's like he influences people to do bad things. We just can't see it.

That's the concept between good and evil. God is patient and the Devil is impatient. God is good and the Devil is evil. In the show, you say that Lucifer is the good guy. If you don't know, Lucifer was a fallen angel, who was cast down by God because he wanted to rule heaven. You could say that Lucifer was good.

So, I don't see the problem watching Lucifer doing good things. Maybe, he wants a test and see what it feels like saving humanity. Christians may not like the idea, but it's definitely interesting.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By joshmightbe

I don't get why Christians are so freaked out by this. Shouldn't Lucifer, basically admitting defeat and giving up ruling Hell seem like a good thing to Christians? Its pretty much the ultimate win for them, right?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zetsu-San  Online

@buttersdaman000 said:
@mattydavehalpeo said:

The OP never stated Christianity for his motivations for why the show has been canceled.

The commentators are the main people bringing up religion and Satan. The show is named Lucifer, yes, but the OP himselfnever stated that because it goes against the bible, the show should be canceled, or whatever you people are putting in his mouth.

But that IS what he's saying. The OP is saying that the show should be cancelled because they dare portray the devil as the good guy.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dextersinister

@jonez120 said:

@sebast_allen: Haven't you ever heard of an anti-hero? You act like this show invented that concept.

Hitler comparison is completely fair, whether you believe in the devil or not is irrelevant, many people do and not just right wingers in america because that's what most atheists picture when they think of christians.

If a TV show can make the devil into a hero with the idea that it's just a story then the same can be done for Hitler

The only reason that you would think otherwise is that YOU think that a story involving Hitler is in bad taste over a story involving the devil, you dismiss how others may feel because you consider the figure they represent as evil to be lesser than yours.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By buttersdaman000

@mattydavehalpeo said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@mattydavehalpeo said:

Along with Judaism and loads of other Abrahamic religions. You could throw in some dualist religions as well.

No....it's clear with he context of this show that this is a focus on the CHRISTIAN Lucifer. I don't proclaim to be an expert on religion, but I was required to take a class as en elective. What I do remember is that the Abrahamic Religions, Judaism, Muslims, and Christianity, differ greatly in certain areas. One of those areas includes The Devil/Lucifer. IIRC in Islam Lucifer has a completely different name and isn't even an Angel. In Judaism Lucifer isn't even seen as "evil", but as something/someone who should be appreciated as an obstacle to overcome in the path towards God. In Christianity he is....The Devil...bad.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zetsu-San  Online

@dextersinister said:
@jonez120 said:

Hitler comparison is completely fair, whether you believe in the devil or not is irrelevant, many people do and not just right wingers in america because that's what most atheists picture when they think of christians.

If a TV show can make the devil into a hero with the idea that it's just a story then the same can be done for Hitler

The only reason that you would think otherwise is that YOU think that a story involving Hitler is in bad taste over a story involving the devil, you dismiss how others may feel because you consider the figure they represent as evil to be lesser than yours.

No, a show with Hitler as a protagonist would not be in poor taste as long as they are historically accurate. Hitler is a REAL PERSON. There is proof that he exists. The Devil is a mythological being, there is no evidence to suggest he exists. He is not a historical character, and so the writers can do whatever they want with him. Furthermore, if you want to make the devil the hero there isn't a whole lot that needs to be changed.

When God had Adam rape Lillith, who comforted her? The devil. When God wanted to flood the world, who whispered into Noah's ear about the coming flood? The devil (the bible changed the story and cut things out).

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@mattydavehalpeo said:

It doesn't matter what the OP explicitly stated. Lucifer in this context mostly relates to Christianity and the concepts he represents. So again, it' completely fine to reference Christianity if the OP is stating that we shouldn't watch the show because Lucifer is bad.

TheParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: What? Please elaborate more.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister said:
@jonez120 said:

No, a show with Hitler as a protagonist would not be in poor taste as long as they are historically accurate. Hitler is a REAL PERSON. There is proof that he exists. The Devil is a mythological being, there is no evidence to suggest he exists. He is not a historical character, and so the writers can do whatever they want with him. Furthermore, if you want to make the devil the hero there isn't a whole lot that needs to be changed.

When God had Adam rape Lillith, who comforted her? The devil. When God wanted to flood the world, who whispered into Noah's ear about the coming flood? The devil (the bible changed the story).

Completely irrelevant.

Anyone who would actually see this Hitler show would have only there information from books, ditto for the devil

What matters is intent, many people believe that the devil represents evil, many believe that Hitler represents evil

You either accept that either both are fair game or neither, you think Hitler is a bigger representation of evil and that your representation and how it makes you feel is more important.

Asia has no problem using Hitlers image or many youths in the west for that matter because they simply do not care the same way you do.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jonez_

@dextersinister said:
@jonez120 said:

Nobody believes in Lucifer Morningstar. He is a completely fictional comic book character based on the abstract concept of the devil.

Everybody believes in Adolf Hitler. He is not a comic character, and many people alive today still suffer due to the atrocities he has committed.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Amendment50

Yeah, so obviously you're religious, so I don't want to tread on your toes or anything, but there's no controversy about whether or not Hitler exists.

Especially considering it's not even trying to be a biblical imitation of the devil, it's more like making a show starring Darth Vader than one starring Hitler

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Dextersinister

@jonez120: Nobody will believe this character called Hitler Morningstar is real either.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@mattydavehalpeo said:

But that IS what he's saying. The OP is saying that the show should be cancelled because they dare portray the devil as the good guy.

But he wasn't referencing Christianity itself, just the devil as a whole. Though in the Bible the devil is a being, the devil itself has been a concept of evil, deception, and destruction long before the bible. The OP is attempting to make the point that we should not be trying to shine this concept in the limelight.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dextersinister

@amendment50:

so obviously you're religious

maybe, maybe not, just calling out some hypocrites

so I don't want to tread on your toes or anything

Then don't reply especially when you give such terrible examples as comparing Darth Vader to Hitler