Why is superman the poster boy of DC instead of Batman

• 75 results
Luigiman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was just wondering coz Batman is much more successful commercially I'm more field. ..he makes DC more money I believe with Arkham gaming Franchise and the Billion Dollar Box office Dark Knight franchise for example....plus he is the leader on the JLA....so why does DC pick Sups as their frontman

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@luigiman13: Superman invented the genre, Batman ripped off The Shadow\Zorro\Black Bat.

Luigiman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yah even though superman was the first of his type and batman wasn't. ..Superman is the Cliché one now....plus Bats outlasted Zorro and Black Bat even if he did adopt characteristics from them

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luigiman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luigiman13: One Direction is more of a household name than The Clash but that doesn't make them better.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was just wondering coz Batman is much more successful commercially I'm more field. ..he makes DC more money I believe with Arkham gaming Franchise and the Billion Dollar Box office Dark Knight franchise for example....plus he is the leader on the JLA....so why does DC pick Sups as their frontman

what makes you think bats isn't the poster boy for dc?? He is in everything and he solves every problem... In the justice league, supes is supposed to be the morals but they took that away from him too...

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth, Justice and the something something way.......

TheBhramaBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um, Supes isn't their poster boy? They didn't even have enough faith to give him a 2nd solo movie

Luigiman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho: I support Bats more than Sups but I we have to admit Superman is the face of DC....look up pictures of the justice league and most of the time his centred in front with bats on his left.....am not saying it's the way it should be. ..just stating the facts

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luigiman13: Superman invented the genre, Batman ripped off The Shadow\Zorro\Black Bat.

The genre existed prior to Superman. And Superman himself is based off of characters ranging from John Carter of Mars (his powers early on were almost identical to John Carter), to biblical characters like Samson.

What Superman did originate however was the classic superhero outfits (tights, underwear on the outside)... which garnered inspiration from trapeze artists back at the time.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By newecho

@luigiman13 said:

@newecho: I support Bats more than Sups but I we have to admit Superman is the face of DC....look up pictures of the justice league and most of the time his centred in front with bats on his left.....am not saying it's the way it should be. ..just stating the facts

that's because he was the first member.. Look at merchandising,,movies, cartoons, every book. Batman is their spiderman.... That is also part of dc's problem and why they are so far behind marvel because of their reluctance to only push those two characters... No other character is cared about by general audiences...

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Cause DC hates change and sucks at marketing mainly.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

Because with the exception of the last decade, Superman has been more popular.

Luigiman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho: What do you mean by behind Marvel.....Marvel is only ahead of DC in cinematic universe (FOR NOW)

Plus DC characters are way more popular

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@jonny_anonymous: Yah even though superman was the first of his type and batman wasn't. ..Superman is the Cliché one now....plus Bats outlasted Zorro and Black Bat even if he did adopt characteristics from them

Superman isn't a cliche' he's an archetype. Literally he is the archetypal super hero, he's where the word superhero comes from.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

The genre existed prior to Superman. And Superman himself is based off of characters ranging from John Carter of Mars (his powers early on were almost identical to John Carter), to biblical characters like Samson.

What Superman did originate however was the classic superhero outfits (tights, underwear on the outside)... which garnered inspiration from trapeze artists back at the time.

Superheros existed before but the genre didn't

Luigiman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: It was originally a Superman movie featuring Batman...Ben Affleck/Batman had to work their way to being an equal with superman

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luigiman13: dc has been behind marvel in book sales for years and its gotten worse since star wars has become a part of their arsenal.

The batman titles are in the top ten but overall sales has been in marvels camp for years. I do believe the TV universe is a step in the right direction but they are still a long ways behind.

Luigiman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho: Yah...point taken...I sometimes feel that the DC Bosses don't have heart for what their doing...their just a bunch of old business men...but their to blame...not the DC universe

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Superman is more iconic and a better embodiment of hope and inspiration.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luigiman13: they have went with what made them money. Batman prints money so he is in everything. That approach tho has left general audiences away from great dc characters. You and I know who Jason Todd is, but ask someone in general and they will have no idea. The brass should have been developing their universe and not just their cash cow

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is considered to be the most popular superhero character for a reason however the way I see it now is that DC is more interested in Batman because of how popular he has become.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho said:

@luigiman13: they have went with what made them money. Batman prints money so he is in everything. That approach tho has left general audiences away from great dc characters. You and I know who Jason Todd is, but ask someone in general and they will have no idea. The brass should have been developing their universe and not just their cash cow

That was maybe true before Arkham Knight.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@cagnazzo82 said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

Superheros existed before but the genre didn't

I would agree with both yours and cagnazzo's point come to think of it. The classic superhero genre didn't exist before Superman but the inspiration behind it that Siegel and Shuster drew inspiration from for Superman like Samson and John Carter was present.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: gamers are nerds too and most would already had idea who Jason was. I just used him as an example insert any character into above comparison and it works. The TV universe is somewhat helping with that

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: to be fair marvel was outselling before they got star wars. Dc had a time in the late 90's when they were outselling marvel but that didn't last. In the 80's wb offered dc to marvel too now grant it dc picked it up after that

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho said:

@ready_4_madness: to be fair marvel was outselling before they got star wars. Dc had a time in the late 90's when they were outselling marvel but that didn't last. In the 80's wb offered dc to marvel too now grant it dc picked it up after that

They briefly outsold them with the start of the New52, but that probably did more harm than good in the long run.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Because Superman is the poster boy of comics in general.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well considering everything you've said and the fact that Batman has a day named after him which is widely publicised. That and he was shoved into a Superman sequel. He's used more but Superman is clearly the bigger icon. I personally see more people wearing Superman t-shirts and what not.

@luigiman13 said:

Superman isn't a cliche' he's an archetype. Literally he is the archetypal super hero, he's where the word superhero comes from.

This on every level. Plus the definition of Superhero uses Superman as an example. He's arguably more important than Batman ever has been.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: you are right, I forgot about that. That was when star wars got started tho.

Dc has screwed up continuity. When the first of the new 52 started, it should have been a complete reboot. Batman was thought to be the same and they completely un did that when the new 52 was exposed as a tangent timeline. Now we have no idea what is actually cannon to him and if his history is just similar. Dcyou is awful . some of the stories are great but me as an avid comic book reader of over 20 years. Its frustrating. BTW marvel all new all different is just as bad in terms of frustration even tho I do love the stories..

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: I prefer dc for trades but marvel for continuity if that makes sense?. I mean I read probably 20 titles from each every month but still I prefer reading an arc at a time with dc

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_stegman  Moderator

@ready_4_madness: Marvel is much better at marketing I hope DC can figure something out.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I am not sure they can, they did put bats in the suicide squad because they don't know how to market it without him..

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 the_stegman  Moderator

@newecho: Nah, I think they put bats there because he directly ties in with Joker and Harley.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I don't think that at all, I think they were scared that no one would come so they put him in it . I think the movie will be fine with Robbie stealing the show but they put him in it out of fear

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_stegman  Moderator

@newecho: Gotta disagree. The Joker is in it, that will get people curious alone. They need to show how Harley got arrested, Batman is a must, plus, it's a good way to show continuity.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: so you are saying they are using bats as a flashback? And that doesn't scream publicity stunt?. Why not have waller in bvs in a pseudo government role to show continuity? I think green lantern scared them and they put either bats or supes in everything that's not justice league members

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

Batman's not?

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: give or take a few.. More marvel because I read all number ones if I can or of I see it

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Also Superman isn't really the poster boy for DC, Batman is, at least in marketing and profit which is more important to DC. Superman is clearly more iconic for the superhero genre however.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i 'd say Batman took over from Superman because of the Chris Nolan Trilogy the made Batman popular again, and the Arkham series.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panther21: way before that.. Frank millers dark Knight returns and Tim Burton's batman was the start in my opinion

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 the_stegman  Moderator

@newecho: It's not a stunt... Batman arrested Harley, they have to show how she was imprisoned, this is how.

Her being in jail directly affects the plot, Waller doesn't affect BvS, so why would she be in it?