Why does Marvel hate the FF?

Avatar image for superkryptonian
superkryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Only have a few Marvel comics on my pull list and don't keep very up to date on their events, but where are the Fantastic Four? They don't have a book, the Thing was with the Guardians of the Galaxy and now SHIELD I think, Johnny is with the Inhumans, and I've yet to see Reed or Sue in anything in a long time. Does Marvel have something against their original super team relating to movie rights? Or are they just waiting to come out with a new PC version of them?

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Tyger

FF have been a historically poor seller. They tried to boost them with a variety of methods, from including She-Hulk, to creating Fantastic Force and not being shackled to the number 4, to the Future Foundation.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PeterParkerJr

Because FOX owns their movie rights.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Because Fox owns the Fantastic Four.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Money...

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Should change the title to why do comic fans hate the Fantastic Four....

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Because they gave them to fox

Avatar image for captain_inverse
captain_inverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkryptonian: Marvel hates the "atomic family" that was FF....

from what i've been hearing, Reed is getting lower & lower in the intellectual hierarchy of Marvel earth (seems like they want to strip him of his one claim to fame)

Sue.......who knows. but for all the changes Marvel has done throughout the years, it's always been the FF that really get the worst changes.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Penguin-Dust

The Fantastic Four have always been my second favorite Marvel team behind The New Mutants, but as stated above, there are a number of reasons why Marvel's first team gets no love these days. Certainly the speculation that Disney has directed the Marvel editorial group to downplay their importance within the MU is possible. Any success on the printed/digital page the team might have would benefit FOX Studios over Disney. Films and TV shows are where the money is these days, and with Marvel having sold the rights to FOX pre-Disney, the "House that Mouse Built" has little to gain from a successful Fantastic Four book. Personally, I would hope that Marvel would want all of their properties to be successful including Spider-Man and the X-Men since that would enrich the MU as a whole, but treatment of characters outside the MCU shows otherwise.

I also suspect that this team itself is not the easiest to write. Similar to my beloved Doom Patrol, they are a group of conflicting personalities that can seem out of date. Attempts to update them, as @EvilTyger stated have fallen short and come across as gimmicky. I've always felt they were at their best when the aspects of them being a family were at the forefront of their stories. Perhaps that's too mundane for modern comic readers or maybe it's just been mishandled. Writers want chaos and conflict, not ties of domesticity which is why they bust every couple up every few years. "Happiness is boring" they say, but I don't accept that because real marriage, real families are filled with struggle. The world is full of people who accept those challenges because succeeding as a family is important to them. I cannot fathom why it couldn't also be seen within The Fantastic Four comics and a live-action adaption.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Marvel hates the Fantastic Four because they're own by Fox.

But I believe they're going to bring them back.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate the FF? Uh, they were more or less a main focal point of Secret Wars

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#12 vance_astro  Moderator

They are just laying low until Marvel gets the movie rights back.