Why Does Fairy Tail Get So Much Hate?

• 167 results
uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've recently been branching out and watching a few anime on my free time and when work is slow. One in particular is Fairy Tail and I have to say I don't see why it gets so much hate on this website. What's everyones problem with it? Why do so many people hate it?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By stormshadow_x

Mostly because alot of people say characters win by plot.....something bleach and DBZ do as well

Avatar image for mollydanger2210
MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate Fairy Tail OP because it's not very good. In fact, you could say its terrible. Certainly one of the worst Shounen I've ever read. It's appallingly derivative, repetitive and just frankly stupid. Don't waste your time with it.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By stormshadow_x
Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have no idea. I mean, it's no worst than Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and other shonen series like that.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By stormshadow_x

@dboyrules2011: exactly

Though I'd say naruto and one piece or on a higher level than dbz,bleach and fairy tail.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I have no idea. I mean, it's no worst than Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and other shonen series like that.

all of those anime are bad.

they all deserve any hate they get.

even if you're just interested in action, there is better anime.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I may not be the biggest Naruto fan but it doesn't deserve to be grouped up with the mindless (fun) action anime

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly because alot of people say characters win by plot.....something bleach and DBZ do as well

That's almost everything though lol.

People hate Fairy Tail OP because it's not very good. In fact, you could say its terrible. Certainly one of the worst Shounen I've ever read. It's appallingly derivative, repetitive and just frankly stupid. Don't waste your time with it.

How's it any different from the other shonen titles?

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: Because deus ex nakama.

However, the theme of friendship is power is extremely common, and more so in Japanese culture than western, and even more if it has a younger audience in mind. Off the top of my head, its in Naruto, One Piece, Shaman King, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Soul Eater, Pokemon, Digemon, Earthbound... You get my point. Most things from Japan, and a lot from here, use it to varying degrees, its just that it's a central idea in Fairy Tail.

Personally, I think its a pretty solid manga. They have some interesting characters and powers, and its imo easier to get through than One Piece.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime hipsters.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I may not be the biggest Naruto fan but it doesn't deserve to be grouped up with the mindless (fun) action anime

Those Mindless action anime are fun diversions, whereas Naruto preaches that the state is more important than your family, canonises a man for murdering his family in the name of national security, has the protagonist taking a stroll through the lab of someone who's committed crimes against humanity without him batting an eyelid, sweeps a state-backed genocide under the carpet, marries a girl and her abusive schoolboy crush together, and removes all culpability from mass-murderers because they have sob story childhoods.

No, Naruto shouldn't be grouped together with them, Naruto is disgusting and morally bankrupt.

Ardentias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ardentias

Abusive use of friendship theme in every possible situation unlike other popular Shonen

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the show is mindless fun and people hate it cause they got sticks up their butts

Avatar image for passingthrough545
passingthrough545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: My biggest issue is that Hiro needs to stop making Erza have asinine comeback victories such as when she gets bodied the she wins via oneshot, hyping up villains just for them to get oneshotted, Erza, not letting people die when they should like Happy not dying via town busting explosion when he has nothing to suggest he could even survive a building busting explosion and Erza again.

With Naruto comeback victories come with its emphasis on using strategy (which ppl ignore for the pretty explosions) to win which makes the comeback victory believable and the villains are not so oneshotable which makes them all the more dangerous.

DBZ basically is the shounen big daddy its the OG, it started various memes, and has terrible consistency and understanding of physics. But it has a threatening and iconic villain cast, a MC which started a trend, and when they do hype up a villain who gets oneshotted you can powerscale and it seems reasonable.

If I have an issue about FT on here would only be on the Battle Forums with FT debaters claiming that x char can beat this char with NLF reasoning, otherwise I don't hate it I put it above Bleach.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It deserves no more and no less hate then some other popular shonens like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece etc. However FT does seem to play the Nakama Power card a bit too much. I used to be a big fan of these when i was younger. Then i discovered Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, Yu Yu and Inuyasha are my favorite Shonens. Everything else is just a pale reflection to me. I don't hate Fairy Tail, but I could never get into it. Just not my cup of tea.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally dislike it because it's devoid of any worthwhile tension, there's honestly no reason to ever be emotional invested, because after 2 or 3 arcs, you realize that the protagonists(sometimes even the antagonist) will just casually walk away from every conflict they're in relatively unscathed. Fairy Tail's character also lack any semblance of worthwhile characters development an are essentially the same character archetypes they were at the beginning of the series. Even its action, something that shonens are often reveled for, are almost eye-rollingly boring; most, if not all, could summed up as "the antagonist has the upper hand, <power-up>, protags win in one or two hits". Say what you will about most other shonen, even they don't often do this. When Goku got SS, he didn't just one shot Freeza; when Naruto got KCM he didn't just one shot Obito and Madara; when Ichigo got Bankai, he didn't just one shot Byakuya; the same could not be said for Natsu or any of his teammates whenever any real conflict rears its head.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It deserves no more and no less hate then some other popular shonens like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece etc. However FT does seem to play the Nakama Power card a bit too much. I used to be a big fan of these when i was younger. Then i discovered Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann.

My favorite of all time

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SuperDrummer

@stormshadow_x said:

I may not be the biggest Naruto fan but it doesn't deserve to be grouped up with the mindless (fun) action anime

Those Mindless action anime are fun diversions, whereas Naruto preaches that the state is more important than your family, canonises a man for murdering his family in the name of national security, has the protagonist taking a stroll through the lab of someone who's committed crimes against humanity without him batting an eyelid, sweeps a state-backed genocide under the carpet, marries a girl and her abusive schoolboy crush together, and removes all culpability from mass-murderers because they have sob story childhoods.

No, Naruto shouldn't be grouped together with them, Naruto is disgusting and morally bankrupt.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 007619

Anime Elitist can't stand anything Shonen. Which is why its hard to get new people into anime since these same people trash the shows that for most are their first anime and berate them for liking them. Case in point I love Bleach and DBZ and I've had my fair share of hate, but you know what they say. Haters gonna Hate ;)

Avatar image for passingthrough545
passingthrough545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally dislike it because it's devoid of any worthwhile tension, there's honestly no reason to ever be emotional invested, because after 2 or 3 arcs, you realize that the protagonists(sometimes even the antagonist) will just casually walk away from every conflict they're in relatively unscathed. Fairy Tail's character also lack any semblance of worthwhile characters development an are essentially the same character archetypes they were at the beginning of the series. Even its action, something that shonens are often reveled for, are almost eye-rollingly boring; most, if not all, could summed up as "the antagonist has the upper hand, <power-up>, protags win in one or two hits". Say what you will about most other shonen, even they don't often do this. When Goku got SS, he didn't just one shot Freeza; when Naruto got KCM he didn't just one shot Obito and Madara; when Ichigo got Bankai, he didn't just one shot Byakuya; the same could not be said for Natsu or any of his teammates whenever any real conflict rears its head.

This too, plot powerups should keep you even or around the same power level as the antagonist which keeps the danger real, the only time when the MC can one-shot while not being stupid would be the final arc with a super god mode then its okay.

ThePeaceweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's got all of worst shounen tropes. It's not the only one, but it's pretty bad

MudaMudaMuda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@007619 said:

Anime Elitist can't stand anything Shonen. Which is why its hard to get new people into anime since these same people trash the shows that for most are their first anime and berate them for liking them. Case in point I love Bleach and DBZ and I've had my fair share of hate, but you know what they say. Haters gonna Hate ;)

No Caption Provided

StormKing1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm up to date with it but the reasons I gave up on it in the first place was because of

1. Nakama Punch(that BS one shotting several hyped up villains is something I couldn't quite stand)

2. After a while I noticed close to no character development for Natsu despite many opportunities to do so.

3. Natsu made close to no attempt to further his own personal goal of finding his father which I found weird since I'm most shonen the main characters actively pursue whatever goal they have

I have other reasons but those were off the top of my head. I won't say I hate it but along with Bleach its one of the Shonen I have no interest in.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate Fairy Tail because it used to be so good. It had great potential and story lines that stuck out (Laxus betrayal).

Slowly it started, slowly, slowing down having its bad moments of writing. (Like most books/comic runs do)

But then one day it just turned into flat out boobs and Natsu over everything. (The latter part meaning villains out of his league)

The breaking point was 1) Natsu beating Precht. 2) Makarov literally was supposed to die. And didn't.

It's been/was poop for years after that.

But honestly this current arc is pretty good compared to the past. It's very decent and I'd honestly keep it as more interesting than Naruto war arc. Then the little tie-in series are interesting as they expand on the world hundred years before the story started.

Battle forum hungry people don't like the series because there's no way to correctly gauge any speed stats especially, but feats in general. The fights are usually named techniques shouted out but the attacks themselves aren't explained they just look flashy. Never really work on anything but fodder. Usually ends with a nakama punch

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- too much fluff and cheekiness... even the name is a bit of a turn off.

- power of friendship OP.

- does anyone ever die?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a let down.

Fairy Tail Its written by the same person who created one of the best shonen manga around: Rave Master. Mashima completely fell off with the second series its like he used up all his creativity on Rave Master.

I had higher expectations. Mashima giant a bad writer like I think Kubo is.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Erza one-shotting Minerva with her OP ability then not having her magic taken away is BS, Sting being a little baby infront of wounded FAIRY-TAIL MEMBERS

Fairy-Tail litreally have 7 year timeskip when girl could have taken it down the next day

Fairy-Tail partying for 6 or whatever months and then somehow being like 24 days or something like that away from Grand Magic games then getting ANOTHER power-up!

Gray's friend on Blue Pegasus getting one-shotted by Gray and Gray's lover for dumb reason

I could go on.

Natsu taking on two Dragon Slayers.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's mediocre. The characters are predictable and unlikable. Even without thinking about it the story line is easy to predict as well. It feels redundant at times.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I mainly have read the Fairy Tail manga and I like it. I don't seem to have as many problems with franchises as other people seem to probably because I tend to just read manga over watching the anime versions.

tenten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy it.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fairy tail doesn't live up to the reputation rave master did.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By mickey-mouse
@superdrummer said:
@silent_bomber said:
@stormshadow_x said:

No Caption Provided

You know...he has a freaking point.

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: I agree completely, which made the callout even better.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uugieboogie

@kyrees said:

I watched Rave Master after I watched FT. Is that the main problem people have?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

I watched Rave Master after I watched FT. Is that the main problem people have?

it was on my end though.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because friendship.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: I like fairytale when they step out of that border of happily ever after and walk the lines like frozen did. Stories like Cinderella are a bit weak now. Besides, they always sing and no one ever stays dead unless they aren't needed for the story

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

@uugieboogie: I can't say I hate Fairy but I watched about 15 minutes and I just couldn't physically watch any more to be honest. it was so painful to watch.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea, I liked the anime. Doesn't have the most amazing story archs or anything but it was a fun show with a bunch of unique looking characters and visually entertaining to watch. That being said I only watched season 1 and part of season 2 so maybe it gets worse or the manga is bad? I don't know from what I watched I enjoyed it.

Ramior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime hipsters.

Cleary, plus this one of only shonen who get the female character right, yes they are draw from a hentai but they are , equally, sometime better, competent then the men, they are rarely kidnap and when they are they escape himself,, they have no case of women in the fridge and they are fun.

Way better then Naruto female character (who have all the sexist trop.),

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@stormshadow_x said:

Christ, talk about over analyzing.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Mostly just because people love hyperbole, the truth is its not a great show by a long shot but its not actually memorable enough to qualify as truly awful.

Its basically like lite pop music, its popular because its harmless paint by numbers fluff but its not nearly as bad as some of the things put geuine effort into and failed miserably so people feel the need to over compensate.

Its like when people act like Taylor Swift is the death of music, again its harmless fluff but it doesn't matter enough to be truly terrible.

le0nhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The manga is pretty good at this point IMO

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it.

My only problems are:

Lucy's wasted potential and being reduced to a joke (though, it has gotten better since the Tartaros arc)

And Natsu, who is a glory hog and I hate as the main protagonist.

It's not genius, or the best thing ever, but it can be fun.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Someone seems butthurt that SasuSaku happened.

But seriously, I could easily point out the flaws in anything like that.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: I like fairytale when they step out of that border of happily ever after and walk the lines like frozen did. Stories like Cinderella are a bit weak now. Besides, they always sing and no one ever stays dead unless they aren't needed for the story

I'm talking about the anime Fairy Tail