Why do you think Suicide Squad grossed more than X-Men Apocalypse?

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PayneInTheAss

?

Any reason behind this, I mean both weren´t critically aclaimed.

But DOFP did good in box office and critics.

Suicide Squad in the other side were for a most part a bunch of unknown guys (to a gen. audience)

So... why do you think this happened? Was it the Joker and Batman in the trailers?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Harley

Joker

Fun

Way better marketing

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer went viral. Everyone was talking about it.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman and Joker weren't in Suicide Squad that much, least not in the film enough to get word of mouth going to the point were you HAD to see the movie because of their scenes. I haven't seen XMEN:Apoc either, so I can't speak on the quality of the movie, but perhaps the XMEN franchise is growing a little stale for movie goers? Suicide Squad brought something a little new and different to the genre, plus IIRC Suicide Squad didn't really have any competition either I don't think

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Marketing.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Black_Arrow

Movie X-men are way too repetitive. It always seems to go like this:

Random mutant: Humanity hates us.

Magneto (or some other powerful mutant): We shall destroy them and remake the world to our image.

Charles Xavier: No, we can live in peace together, with mutants and humans as equals. Eventhrough two different trilogies prove me wrong.

Humans: Let's make some weapons to destroy them.

(Now each team searches for the other and they fight but no one gets a clear victory)

(The Final fight decides the future of the world and the good guys partially win)

Charles Xavier: Now we can rebuild, this is the first step of many to have better union between humans and mutants.

10 years later

Charles Xavier: Well things are literally the same and a new bad mutant appeared to destroy everything because humanity hates us.

Wolverine: I am the coolest thing of this franchise.

With that I summed up most of the X men main movies. Honestly I want them to keep making solo movies like Deadpool and Logan, because all they do with team movies, is repetitive. I would love if they tackled the Shiar or some more crazy parts of the X men universe. Honestly people don't watch them because they know exactly the type of story they are going to tell.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By jumpstart55
  • The trailer for Suicide Squad looked more fun,subversive and having an entire cbm film where the entire roaster consist of villains was something we had never quite seen before...
  • Whereas X-men Apocalypse look like more of the same stuff we saw in Days of Future Past and First Class.
Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares if they were unknowns? Why is this even a factor?

A movie isn't really based on if the characters are known, it's based on what it does.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• The trailer for Suicide Squad looked more fun,subversive and having an entire cbm film where the entire roaster consist of villains was something we had never quite seen before...
  • Whereas X-men Apocalypse look like more of the same stuff we saw in Days of Future Past and First Class.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A movie isn't really based on if the characters are known, it's based on what it does.

Maybe not in this case.

But yeah being familiar is a factor for getting (mainstream) audiences.

At least imo.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marketing and marketing alone.

Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Critic

Marketing and X-Men came out when the market was over saturated.

ThorZeusRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie X-men are way too repetitive. It always seems to go like this:

Random mutant: Humanity hates us.

Magneto (or some other powerful mutant): We shall destroy them and remake the world to our image.

Charles Xavier: No, we can live in peace together, with mutants and humans as equals. Eventhrough two different trilogies prove me wrong.

Humans: Let's make some weapons to destroy them.

(Now each team searches for the other and they fight but no one gets a clear victory)

(The Final fight decides the future of the world and the good guys partially win)

Charles Xavier: Now we can rebuild, this is the first step of many to have better union between humans and mutants.

10 years later

Charles Xavier: Well things are literally the same and a new bad mutant appeared to destroy everything because humanity hates us.

Wolverine: I am the coolest thing of this franchise.

With I summed up most of the X men main movies. Honestly I want them to keep making solo movies like Deadpool and Logan, because all they do with team movies, is repetitive. I would love if they tackled the Shiar or some more crazy parts of the X men universe. Honestly people don't watch them because they know exactly the type of story they are going to tell.

Took the words right out of my mouth, and they should've realized that would've happened because they burnt people out on X-Men I, sadly still haven't seen suicide squad but my sister saw it THREE TIMES....................................... WITHOUT ME. It has to be awesome man and when i get around to it I'm shelling out 20 bucks. But yea Suicide Squad just seemed refreshing.

LilTWill2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cuz Suicide Squad was a good movie, whereas Apocalypse, was mediocre.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would love if they tackled the Shiar or some more crazy parts of the X men universe. Honestly people don't watch them because they know exactly the type of story they are going to tell.

I hear that. I was thinking a movie focused on the Brood. That would be an interesting change of pace.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better marketing. Like way better. Plus I couldn't even finish Apocalypse.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cuz Suicide Squad was a good movie, whereas Apocalypse, was mediocre.

Well that´s debatable. I find SS worse.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow said:

I would love if they tackled the Shiar or some more crazy parts of the X men universe. Honestly people don't watch them because they know exactly the type of story they are going to tell.

I hear that. I was thinking a movie focused on the Brood. That would be an interesting change of pace.

Sadly I don't think that we are going to see that, I don't see Fox going into space after what happened with the Fantastic four movies. But I would love to see it.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad movies make money. Transformers model

Avatar image for xthe_black_adamx
XThe_Black_Adamx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X men apocalypse wasn't a good movie imo. Suicide squad did well because so many people love Batman, joker, and Harley. I over heard a lot of people hyping up will smith (a man who slays his role in every movie he plays in) as deadshot too.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a better movie, simple.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaptainSalt

People thought it was a Batman movie. nuff said. Nearly every trailer for the last 2 years made sure to have Batman, Joker and Harley in all of of them. That's why it did so well. Those are DC's top characters including Supes. The last time people saw the Joker was in Nolan's phenomenon TDK. People wanted to see the new Joker for the first time. Also Harley for the first.

It did better cuz people thought it was a Batman movie. If Marvel did a Masters of Evil movie and had every trailer show Ironman, Venom and Loki almost as much as the MoE it would almost do a billion.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe because one had a budget nearly double the other?....

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainSalt

@critic said:

Marketing and X-Men came out when the market was over saturated.

Also this. XM:A came out right after the biggest nerd war ever. After BvS and CW. And CW had just killed it. Everyone was comparing it to CW due to it being released just two to three weeks after tho greatly inferior.

Also DOFP B.O. was fluke. X-Men movies don't gross that high in the first place. People were excited for more superhero team ups after the Avengers struck lightning and X-men was the only other option at the time. The Avengers boost effected more than just MCU movies.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Asgaard

1- Release date & competition, Apocalypse was severely hurt by temporary comic book fatigue and SS got August free pass but with audiences caring more for this month than the norm because almost every live action summer blockbuster flopped...

2- SS still use to high levels the hype from Nolan/Batman franchise with focus on the Joker, Wonder Woman is real test to Dceu solo movies without anything that was built by Batman franchise in recent past, since even the tone of MoS and production are also linked with Nolan...

3- The marketing & out of the norm & premise for a cbm also are a big part of Deadpool and SS numbers, the thing is that its hard to replicate that again in the same levels, much like you can't replicate the appeal of seeing the Avengers for the first time... SS had good numbers but was not the success that some people think it was, if this movie was a big hit like GotG or Deadpool should already have a sequel announced/planned...

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Because it was better.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaptainSalt

@asgaard said:

1- Release date & competition, Apocalypse was severely hurt by temporary comic book fatigue and SS got August free pass but with audiences caring more for this month than the norm because almost every live action summer blockbuster flopped...

2- SS still use to high levels the hype from Nolan/Batman franchise with focus on the Joker, Wonder Woman is real test to Dceu solo movies without anything that was built by Batman franchise in recent past, since even the tone of MoS and production are also linked with Nolan...

3- The marketing & out of the norm & premise for a cbm also are a big part of Deadpool and SS numbers, the thing is that its hard to replicate that again in the same levels, much like you can't replicate the appeal of seeing the Avengers for the first time... SS had good numbers but was not the success that some people think it was, if this movie was a big hit like GotG or Deadpool should already have a sequel announced/planned...

Good points!!

These days sequels get announced quick. sometimes even before the release of the first film. lol There's no talk of a SS sequel because DC doesn't know what they want to do yet. not just about SS but the whole DCCU schedule.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spambot

SS offered something sort of new while Apoc was just the same old X-men and got buried in reviews. I think WB also spent a lot more in marketing than Fox did. Maybe twice as much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7
deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People were sick of "Mystique and the X-men" (like me).

Also, Will Smith draws crowds.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe because one had a budget nearly double the other?....

The budget was almost the same ... (according to box office mojo)

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marketing imo. SS trailers were all over the internet, social media, tv, theaters, etc. I don't remember seeing much of anything for X-Men. It just kind of showed up in theaters and then recently came out on DVD.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32 JediXMan  Moderator

Much better marketing. The general public don't care about the X-Men beyond Wolverine. Logan will make more than Apocalypse.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jumpstart55: @black_arrow: @peterparkerjr: @invain: @the_stegman: @space_coyote: @xthe_black_adamx: @darthaznable: @nerevarine_11: @xthe_black_adamx: @helloman: @royal_warrior: @asgaard: @granitesoldier: @captainsalt: @spambot: @wallywest042: @payneintheass: @laughingbatman: @jedixman:

I think everyone is forgetting some MAJOR point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America:_Civil_War#Release

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Apocalypse#Release

X men apocalypse was released only shortly after CA:CW, the same movie which is one of the biggest hits / largest grossing CBM movies of all time. So, a large amount of viewers were divided.

Unlike Apoc, Suicide Squad faced no such competition.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: it's not as if they could only go to xmen or CW. Both were in theaters a few months. CW got a ton of publicity as well, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to why xmen got the turnout that it did.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: That sort of helped too. I've mentioned that before as have others.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador:

Did you read my post?

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@asgaard said:

@apex_pretador:

Did you read my post?

@spambot said:

@apex_pretador: That sort of helped too. I've mentioned that before as have others.

Maybe I should've said "most of you" instead of everyone.

@apex_pretador: it's not as if they could only go to xmen or CW. Both were in theaters a few months. CW got a ton of publicity as well, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to why xmen got the turnout that it did.

It was still a major factor.

Let's not act like if it had gotten less competition , it would have not been more successful.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two characters are the reason Joker and Harley Quinn saying puddin

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wrucebayne

Superior marketing and lack of competition at the box office.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apex_pretador: I'm not saying that at all. I said "it shouldn't be used as an excuse to why xmen got the turnout that it did". Never did I say, "without CW, Xmen would have thrived". They had a poor marketing campaign. I'm thinking they're going to market Logan better because of this reason.

Hollygrove20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It had to share a month with Captain America: Civil War. That's a lot of Comic Book movie in a span of a few weeks, and people chose the movie that comes from the studio that has only made one truly bad movie. The trailers for Apocalypse were not very good, and they couldn't really up their profile to compete with Civil War. Marvel is a juggernaut that only DC has the chance to compete with. Suicide Squad had the advantage of having the month of August to itself, excellent marketing, Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and a multi ethnic cast. It simply had more momentum going into it's theatrical release than Apocalypse.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

Because it's better?

Harley Quinn finally getting a Live Action pretty much stole the show.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Heatforce

It had to share a month with Captain America: Civil War. That's a lot of Comic Book movie in a span of a few weeks, and people chose the movie that comes from the studio that has only made one truly bad movie. The trailers for Apocalypse were not very good, and they couldn't really up their profile to compete with Civil War. Marvel is a juggernaut that only DC has the chance to compete with. Suicide Squad had the advantage of having the month of August to itself, excellent marketing, Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and a multi ethnic cast. It simply had more momentum going into it's theatrical release than Apocalypse.

But something else to note: Suicide Squad was not shown in China.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True, that is what makes the quality of a movie. But that is not what makes people come to see the movie.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@apex_pretador: I stand by what I said, I think Suicide Squad was the superior film and that helped, especially with word of mouth advertising and recurring moviegoers.

Not to mention Squad had bigger pop culture characters (no one cares about the XMen outside of Wolverine let's be honest) and better marketing. Deadpool and BvS were released just over a month apart and both were wildly successful.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no one cares about the XMen outside of Wolverine let's be honest

Enough people cared enough for it to make over half a billion in box office and become the second highest grossing X-Men film behind DoFP. Third highest grossing if you count Deadpool.

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

suicide squad teased the newest iteration of a very popular role that previously killed the actor portraying it and earned him a posthumous Oscar for his performance.

also, x-men just didn't advertise as well. it felt like same old, same old.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marketing and much better trailers. The trailers made Suicide Squad seem really fun and colorful. Too bad it didn't live up to the hype. I think X-Men:Apocalypse seemed as the overdone and generic big bad guy type movie in the trailers, and this didn't drive people. I recently saw Apocalypse for the first time and I thought it was leagues above Suicide Squad in quality. I think Apocalypse deserved more success in comparison to SS.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@payneintheass: for production maybe but were extra added reshoots and an extra 100 mil * for marketing

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becuase of charters people that were more popular