Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

I'm sure we've all had this issue. You read a comic or manga that's not too popular but has great characters, and you try to display them in the battle forum and what happens? ....you get ignored lol. It doesn't matter how fair the rules are or even if you put your character against a popular character, the thread dies at around 5-10 posts.

I'm just curious as to why this is the case. It doesn't seem to matter if it's the community being unaware of the feats of the unknown character, cause I make sure I post them. Just not sure what it is.

An example would be a character named Jin Mo-Ri that I've made two threads with. The guy seems around "state" to "country" level but doesn't seem to get an ounce of respect around here, while characters that are much weaker like Naruto and Ichigo do. I'm not sure if it's cause I'm a new member or what, but I guess that's just the way it is. People constantly complain about how repetitive the battle forums are but when a brand new character is introduced, they ignore them.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's due to the following.

1- People love to complain. They hate repetative battles but they also hate having to read up about new stuff.

2- Unpopular characters are unpopular, so nobody has much love for them, so nobody wants to have a battle with them in it.

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are usually only interested in talking about characters they are interested in.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because most people don't want to argue about characters they don't like or don't know.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: True but the reason the characters remain unpopular on the battle forums is because no one give them a chance. For example Dark Schneider was quite unpopular on this site until @fallschirmjager@princearagorn1 and @uberhikari started talking about him. Now he's considered above skyfather level. My point is, people wont know if a character is good if they don't give them a chance. which is what happens a lot

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend pitting an unknown against a well-known character, then try to defend the unknown with feats, so people become more familiar and possibly, more interested in the character.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RetconCrisis

I've tried so hard to make multiple battles that include unpopular, b-list/c-list characters, but no one ever posts. I get about 50+ views and 0 posts on almost all of my battles, whereas the overdone Thor vs Superman gets hundreds of posts, with half of them either raging or complaining about repetition.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are usually only interested in talking about characters they are interested in.

Because most people don't want to argue about characters they don't like or don't know.

Yeah, it sucks... The way I see it is your knowledge won't expand if you maintain a closed up mindset. I understand characters like Black Adam and Superman are cool but people have to give others a chance. They may even end up liking these unknown characters.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VoodooPenguin
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Wolverine008

Because you can't make generalizations with superficial knowledge about them like people almost in battles using popular characters. There also no bragging rights in battles between unpopular characters like you see with popular ones.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignorance? But imo the Battle Callout Phonebook has been a big help with lesser known characters aslong as people start putting their names down to these characters.

Does Jin Mo-Ri have an entry in the phonebook? if not put yourself down as being knowledgeable on him & also make a few battles with this character against popular characters that way at the very least u might get a high view count even if u do only get a few replies at least your spreading info on this character :)

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

I would recommend pitting an unknown against a well-known character, then try to defend the unknown with feats, so people become more familiar and possibly, more interested in the character.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep on trying that. A couple of hour ago I made a Captain Marvel vs Jin Mo-Ri thread and it's currently failing hard lol ..even after I spent like an hour looking up feats and posted them.

I've tried so hard to make multiple battles that include unpopular, b-list/c-list characters, but no one ever posts. I get about 50+ views and 0 posts on almost all of my battles, whereas the overdone Thor vs Superman gets hundreds of posts, with half of them either raging or complaining about repetition.

I feel you on that man. We need to make a change around here lol

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh said:

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep on trying that. A couple of hour ago I made a Captain Marvel vs Jin Mo-Ri thread and it's currently failing hard lol ..even after I spent like an hour looking up feats and posted them.

Maybe take up an aggressive attacking position. Fans that take offense usually have a lot to say in their favorite character's defense. :p

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By JeanRalphio

A lot of people only know the big guys...plain and simple

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh said:

@retconcrisis said:

I feel you on that man. We need to make a change around here lol

Yeah... we do need a little change around here... if you know what I mean...

Lock and Load
Lock and Load
Let's get started
Let's get started

Alright let's go- wait, nvm... WE MUST WAIT FOR THE TIME TO STRIKE
Alright let's go- wait, nvm... WE MUST WAIT FOR THE TIME TO STRIKE

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

They are ignored for the same reason they are unpopular:

Because they aren't all that interesting or appealing to very many people.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@unbreakable_fs4 said:

@matteopg: True but the reason the characters remain unpopular on the battle forums is because no one give them a chance. For example Dark Schneider was quite unpopular on this site until @fallschirmjager@princearagorn1 and @uberhikari started talking about him. Now he's considered above skyfather level. My point is, people wont know if a character is good if they don't give them a chance. which is what happens a lot

Well...DS is a little different. He's a manga character which means he's a bit of a disadvantage on this website in terms of being well-known since this is mostly based on US comics.

But Bastard! is actually one of the top 15 or 20 selling Mangas all time in Japan - sold like 30million volumes. So not so much that he's no popular...juts sort of a wrong subject matter

DS is also at such a high level of power that they not not to get fights more often. People need street-planet level characters, which are usually the most debated.

I'm working on doing some more obscure manga character respect threads so people can use them too :P

Ironshinobi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ironshinobi88

Unpopular characters is how I got into Richard Dragon and Iron Fist.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

RenaissanceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been guilty of that. But then I'm on the other side of the fence when it's a fight I post. So I'm going to start replying to more fights.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the reason.

If most people don't know or care about a certain character they obviously aren't going to go into a thread about them leading to inactive threads.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

I think it's due to the following.

1- People love to complain. They hate repetative battles but they also hate having to read up about new stuff.

2- Unpopular characters are unpopular, so nobody has much love for them, so nobody wants to have a battle with them in it.

This, as well as the fact that this is a comic site, there is only so much anime exct. love.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jeepeh: Do people really see the two as that separate? I tend to know more about anime characters, but that's because I can watch/read anime/manga on the internet for free.

Firedude17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becos no one gives a crap about characters they aren't interested in.

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeepeh: Do people really see the two as that separate? I tend to know more about anime characters, but that's because I can watch/read anime/manga on the internet for free.

Certain people do. Look through some older threads and you're guaranteed to see someone say "Take this to Animevice" or something similar. They fail to understand that Manga is a comicbook, just in Japan. I don't think this site's labeled "American Comicvine". Right?

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably the best way to do it, the best thing is to pit them against someone everyone likes and who has a lot of defenders on the forums. Like Master Chief. Or Superman. Or Batman.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they're unpopular.

Avatar image for masterofluck123
MasterOfLuck123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because, as stated, the character isn't popular. Only some people would know the capabilities of said character and most people would have no idea who or what the character is.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda embarrassing reading my old post

Beholdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people lack knoweledge about said characters thus making it harder to use them in debates

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By linsanel_Doctor

Unpopular characters should be killed off. end

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People don't want to talk about characters they don't care about.