Why do people defy Doctor Strange as "classic" and "current"?

silverplatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By silverplatinum

What is up with everybody defying Doctor Strange as "classic" or "current"? Hs there ever been proof of this? I am frightened to even make a battle, just because people defy him like that. If anyone can post ANY proof that answers that Doctor Strange has been nerfed, please post below. Also, if someone has news that he is NOT nerfed, feel free to post below.

Please make this thread go round! Thanks in advance.

silverplatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Pretty simple answer. Classic Strange existed in the Silver Age, he had more high end feats (like most characters at the time) than he normally performs now, so people differentiate them.

silverplatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By silverplatinum

@the_stegman: But there has never been proof to say that Strange has been depowered, I really find it depressing to see misinformed people call him classic like he's nothing now.

-sp

Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@silverplatinum: I believe that hulk broke his hands in WWH. After that his feats have been below his normality.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@silverplatinum: But he doesn't regularly perform those feats anymore. He's been depowered by writers.

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There's no difference.

He was depowered for a time( Mainly after losing the title of SS), so I think people confused that with some sort of retcon. Tom Brevoort himself confirmed that Stephen is the same even after all these years.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laylah said:

There's no difference.

He was depowered for a time( Mainly after losing the title of SS), so I think people confused that with some sort of retcon. Tom Brevoort himself confirmed that Stephen is the same even after all these years.

Well no official difference, but the way he is written in his new series, and much of the 21st century has been quite different than how he has been written prior to that. I don't think most people mean to say he's a different character than the one in the "classic days." Those who do are certainly wrong. But his personality (Fearless Defenders serves as one of many adequate reminders) and power have been handled differently, to the point that there's a view-able disconnect even though he is the same character.

So I see enough of a distinction that can be somewhat fairly defined by the era of comics. I just think people get too hung up on these classifiers.

In regards to his power, which most people tend to focus on when talking about the era he's being written in, as is the case of this thread. I think many don't realize being weakened in some way due to whatever circumstance isn't something new to the character. Even in what people would call the "classic days." Heck, for a fairly decent stretch of time in the 90s he has been greatly weakened from one thing or another (even giving up the title of SS for a time there as well on top of already operating at a lower level). In the more modern days he was handicapped again when he gave up the title of SS, however, even before this he has performed less (for lack of a better word) competently than before as a norm. But this is to be expected as he has been tossed around by many new writers (in a very different era) and he didn't have a series of his own. The worst of these, people like Bendis, tend to show a disregard of his history and just make the character whatever he sees fit (and his view on the character and magic in general is shaky at best). This isn't exactly something exclusive to Dr Strange as many characters don't operated at the level they once did (for better or worse).

So to answer the question. When he's not in one of those instances of being weakened, which happen due to plot. His normal self, I guess we can call it, there is still a difference because that's just how he is being written.

silverplatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1: @laylah: I extremely appreciate your answers, which I genuinely agree with 100%. Just because he's not battlinf "big" guys doesn't mean he has been depowered. I have seem 2 scans of Brevoort confirming that Strange has never changed, although I forgot what he said, can anyone show me one of them? Thanks in advance!

Also, yes, actually any Sorcerer Supreme has the power Doctor Strange has, only some utilize it less. He still has the enchanted artifacts, like Eye/Orb of Agamotto, Cloak of Levitation, and I know he has dozens of others, however, this shows he has the power to still do amazing stuff, doesn't it? I used to read alot, like way too much about him (in comics and online), however due to people downgrading Strange, I didn't have interest anymore. But anyways, thanks for the answer and I'm sure we'll be talking about this again, guys. Especially with Laylah, who is an expert on the Magical department. ?

-sp

deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1: Strange has kept a fairly amount of good feats even in the recent years, though.

Matching Dormammu three different times; Stopping time on multiple occasions; Supposedly powerful enough to defeat WWH with a twitch of a finger; Defeating that clone of Thanos whose power matched the original one and much more. Stephen also received some upgrades in many storylines.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#11  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

*define

*defining

define; 3rd person present: defines; past tense: defined; past participle: defined; gerund or present participle: defining

1. 1.state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of."the contract will seek to define the client's obligations"
    • give the meaning of (a word or phrase), especially in a dictionary.
    • make up or establish the character of."for some, the football team defines their identity"
  2. 2.mark out the boundary or limits of."clearly defined boundaries"
    • make clear the outline of; delineate."she defined her eyes by applying eye shadow"
Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people can't distinguish between writers writing characters in different ways and thinking a character's power level has gone down due to them not having any high end feats for a few years.

silverplatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By silverplatinum

@laylah: I've not seen Strane defeating that Thanos clone recently. Any scans?

-sp

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I defy Doctor Strange because Doctor Fate will always be my magicfu.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because his current levels suck compared to his classic days.

deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverplatinum said:

I've not seen Strane defeating that Thanos clone recently. Any scans?

-sp

Sure! It happened during Thanos: Infinity Abyss#5:

The narration even goes as far to say that Strange only had little trouble in dispatching him.

silverplatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laylah: Thanks, appreciate it! And, while that is indeed nice, would you account that as recently though? That looks more like 1995-2000 art.

-sp

deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverplatinum said:

Thanks, appreciate it! And, while that is indeed nice, would you account that as recently though? That looks more like 1995-2000 art.

-sp

It's from 2002.

Still a bit recent in my opinion, though.

silverplatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laylah: Well, he did lose his SS tilt afterwards. Everything that happened after that is to be known as recent, IMO. But, still thanks!

-sp