Why did Marvel's teams always feel a lot more separate than the DC ones?

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

No Caption Provided

For all we might complain about this event, it feels a hell of a lot more natural than trying to imagine anything like this occurring in DC.

Trinity War did not break out into giant fights. There was some basic hero confrontation, but after the first major one it quickly changed paces to looking into the cause, and later fights were caused by Pandora's box.

The Titans teen or not, the Justice League, the Justice Society, they just seem so much less likely to break into a fight than the Avengers and X-Men did.

Heck even the Fantastic Four getting into a fight with the other teams feels more likely.

Is that just me, or do you feel it to? And if so, why do you think the teams at Marvel seem a lot more apart than the DC ones?

HellSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HellSaint

The reason the DC universe does hero fights less is because it actually places value on virtue and heroism where as Marvel heroes are just pretty much jerks and don't have value as much as they just want to fight, or at least its how it seems. The Marvel Universe as a whole is just a lot less noble than the one DC has built for itself.Don't get me wrong I love Marvel, but Heroism just seems more or less like something a crazy person pursues rather than someone who cares most of the time.

They tried to change that for a bit with New 52, but it wasn't much appreciated.

I think the reason for Marvel is they try to be more "realistic" which means everyone is super flawed and has a problem.

DC's heroes are actually friends and allies, where as in Marvel they clash more and just seem to partner up.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think in general Marvel characters tend to have bigger egos and are a bit more flawed as people (by design) than DC's which does make these fights more likely. I also feel that the personalities of some of the main characters involved were thrown to the wind to start these fights because Marvel knows they'll sell well. For example the Civil War film built up Tony's guilty and emotional instability a lot better than the comic did in my opinion.

There's also the nature of the DC teams being a tight nit group. The JL looks up to the Justice Society and the Titans look up to their mentors, the Justice League. The only way a could see a fight breaking out is if the Legion come back in time and for some reason have to stop the Justice League from doing something that will ruin the future.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By poeticwarrior

Marvel has more recognizable heroes, and it's the trend for Marvel to have heroes vs heroes to cash in on their popularity. Most of DC books are basically either Bat family or Superman Family, with small variety of Flash, Green Lantern, and Seaman. DC doesn't tend to promote their characters outside of the Justice Leagues while Marvel's big events seem to promote different characters Captain Marvel, Iron Man, Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Hope, etc. It wouldn't be war with DC characters, it's mostly just Justice League and a bunch of nobodies.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel has a lot of heroes that give priority to some specific social group,X-men is the mutants,Thor is asgard,Black Panther is wakanda,Cpt america is US army, sometimes there is clash of interests beetwen groups and heroes will naturally side with their group.

DC heroes most of time are heroes that swear to defend mankind for a number of reasons like aliens that found a safe haven in earth etc.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spambot
@bluehope said:

Marvel has a lot of heroes that give priority to some specific social group,X-men is the mutants,Thor is asgard,Black Panther is wakanda,Cpt america is US army, sometimes there is clash of interests beetwen groups and heroes will naturally side with their group.

DC heroes most of time are heroes that swear to defend mankind for a number of reasons like aliens that found a safe haven in earth etc.

This more than anything. Marvel's heroes often have loyalties which go beyond just being a super hero fighting evil and yada yada. For the longest time the Avengers and X-Men hardly ever even interacted with each other. The Avengers were sort of America's heroes who had built in alliances with Shield and would get calls from the president while the X-Men were the outcasts who weren't really trusted by general society. They were seen as much as a threat as legitimate heroes most of the time. You saw this in secret wars(the original) where the Avengers and X-Men actually were on separate teams and fought against each other.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel characters are written more like real people with egos, agendas and differing mindsets. In the "real" world people can be in the same team and not agree with one another or even dislike each other but unite for a common cause or plain survival. Marvel characters cross economic, racial and political lines where DC characters are written as ideals more than people ( focusing on the Big 7 mostly) and most of the other characters are derivative or legacy characters who idolize their predecessors so infighting among them is unlikely and seems forced.

touma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well from what i see. Marvel wants to make money and they start doing hero vs hero. now after a lot of time hero vs hero. They don't have much content left in them but they still start hero vs hero .

and you know the worst part. because this hero vs hero they have ruined many great caracters. (and I assure you if they ruin Captain America, I am Gonna release my gas on stan lee face).

And they fight more then kids fight for no reason.

1. you are mutant let's fight.

2. you are x men let's fight.

3. you are Tony let's fight.

4. I am waknada let's fight.

5. I m pheonex let's fight.

6. save the future let's fight. (well only this one make sense)

7. change the future. (haven't they watched Flash tv show)

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@iara: i completely disagree. It would be easy to create a scenario where the Titans have to find a way to stop the JL. In fact, it would build major tension and have legit consequences. DC could probably pull it off better than Marvel.

Imagine an evil or hero-hating politician controls a faction of the government the government bans the JL or vigilanteism and then the JL decides to run or fight back. They could explore terrorism, segregation, human rights, all sorts of complex themes if they wanted by framing the JL as villains (excuse the similarities to CW1).

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude are you joking? Most of the Marvel team up fights are contrived and totally devoid of emotion or logic. Especially lately

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spambot said:
@bluehope said:

This more than anything. Marvel's heroes often have loyalties which go beyond just being a super hero fighting evil and yada yada. For the longest time the Avengers and X-Men hardly ever even interacted with each other. The Avengers were sort of America's heroes who had built in alliances with Shield and would get calls from the president while the X-Men were the outcasts who weren't really trusted by general society. They were seen as much as a threat as legitimate heroes most of the time. You saw this in secret wars(the original) where the Avengers and X-Men actually were on separate teams and fought against each other.

This.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, in the OLD days the X Men rarely in fought each other (unless mind controlled), but again that was the old days.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Iara

@avatar_of_green: I have to say I really don't think the Civil War scenario would work in the DC Universe. I don't think a single member of the core line up of the JL would be willing to sign the registration act and they sure as hell wouldn't start fighting and arresting each other.

Of course they recently did the Titans vs JL movie so it's possible to come up with an excuse for it but it normally relies on some kind of mind control making the JL much weaker and evil. To come up with a natural reason for both sides to really go at each other by their own choice would be very difficult in my opinion. Then there's also the problem that the JL are extremely powerful and would stomp pretty much any other team in the DC Universe apart from the Legion possibly due to their size. I thought DC might try a Storm Watch vs JL story when they added them into the same universe but so far nothing.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HighAccuser

@iara: @iara: I mean I could imagine some scenarios. Certain Leaguers like Fire have already worked under Amanda Waller for checkmate, Captain Atom used to be a military lackey. Guys from the old JSA like Wildcat, Jay and Alan worked for Checkmate and the military. Some would agree with it even to some extent. I could very well see Question (Vic Sage) being opposed to it and maybe a leader against it similar to Steve Rogers. Also we've seen similar hero v. Hero conflicts such as Kingdom Come but that was more due to villainous intervention than a clash of ideals or signing of a registration. I agree it would be less occurring in the DC universe but I'd never rule it out.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: When I say core line up I mean: Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter. I really don't see any of them supporting the act other than a very dumbed down Superman which would just be bad writing. If all of them are against the act and united then I don't see how any other heroes would even begin to try and enforce it. I know it's cool to see heroes fight each other just to see how it would go but I find many of the big Marvel events have severely damaged the personalities of some of their characters.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Bendis can't help trying (and failing) to top Civil War in the hero-vs.-hero angle. It's been a decade since the original event came out and the guy just won't give it up.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Think that has much to do with everyones general attitudes towards each other.

• Mutants are for mutants primarily, they generally dont look outside their own people for aid or want outside (aka non-mutant) interference in their buisness. 'Coz you don't understand.'
  • Avengers see themselves as the primary team of the world and everyone else is sort of secondary, so they go where they please.
  • Inhumans are very much like the mutants in most regards, only they are even more isolated.
  • GotG... easy, they are usually on the other side of the universe.

Within DC, the setup has traditionally been that the three major teams League, Society and Titans are all on good foot with each other and often meet with each other for various reasons. Also helped by the notion that we are often talking about different generations/dimensions of the same families, and generally run by rational people with lots of experience. On top of it all, there is the simple thing that DC has not carved their universe up in turfs like Marvel has by having teams of specific kinds of superhumans that can been racially divided... it's more like every DC team is like the Avengers with magicians, aliens, lab accidents and uber-normals on all of them.

So in order to get the groups to collide, it has to be something huge or something petty and easily resolved, like:

No Caption Provided

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frogdog

Because DC doesn't have Bendis & Mark Millar writing their stories.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is superHUMAN while DC is superHERO.

Humans ALWAYS fight and have problems. There's your answer. Next.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I always thought it was because while both companies do frequent event comics, Marvel tends to do a lot more of them and that can be both a good thing and a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Personally I think the events are starting to hit a fatigue. Out of the several Marvel events that we've had over the past few years,most of them have been heroes fighting heroes, with the exception of Secret Wars (which, if I'm remembering correctly, people did like while it was being published).

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel more or less isolates their heroes. Avengers care about avenger business, Mutant cares about Mutant business, Inhuman cares about inhuman business, Ultimate cares about Ultimate business and so on. Dc more or less is more family like with their legacy characters, and mentors, each team has family/is a mentor/great friend/sidekick of someone else on a different team generally. Allows for more harmony and talking things out that fist-fighting.

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chazz85

@krspacet: Yeah cos marvels mean't to be more realistic and in that realism they make heroes with flaws and issues. For example barry allen gets powers and becomes a great selfless hero where as tony stark makes a suit and is still just a drunken jerk. The marvel heroes are not essentially heroes they just do what decent people do with these powers which is try and help people instead of being selfless heroes like superman or wonderwomen the marvel heroes actually get affected by public opinion the way other heroes operate and the wider world and they react to this world in certain ways. The marvel heroes arn't exactly nobel they just want a nuke going off or the world to end and they can't live with the fact that there lying in bed or whatever while people are being killed or raped and they can stop it there all just people trying to do the right thing. Where as every DC hero is a nobel selfless guardian type guy. Also every DC team runs like one giant core where as marvel have lots of little teams who only work together when they really really have to.