Why are american comics so inferior?[READ OP]

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@manmadeofketchup: he is right if he is talking about dc and marvel only as comics idk why so many people like dc and marvel.there is so much to comics rather than just dc and marvel.there are comics waaay better than dc and marvel yet some people dont care much about them.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1- People don't know any better. Anime/manga never had a antagonist win ever. Comics have had villains win (sometimes).

2- Anime/Manga are great series with terrible/awful endings. Which ruins the feel of anime/manga (because of PIS or CIS).

3- Everyone anime & manga is ruined for me, because the creators don't have the guts to kill their characters. I was once a fan of these series. They are predictable. I was able to predict anime and manga plotlines, which should not happen.

You don't have the guts to post in your main account.

Besides that, all of this is bs, some major spoilers ahead (as you should have spoiler blocked all your numbered entries), off the top of my head:

1- Gendo Ikari achieves the Human Instrumentality Project "killing" all of humanity but Shinji and Asuka.

2- The chimera ants arc finale from Hunter X Hunter is superb, Meruem's relation with the blind girl and his final death (this point is obviously subjective though).

3- Jiraiya is killed by Pain.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrx1122 said:

@manmadeofketchup: he is right if he is talking about dc and marvel only as comics idk why so many people like dc and marvel.there is so much to comics rather than just dc and marvel.there are comics waaay better than dc and marvel yet some people dont care much about them.

Because they're not as popular and unless they're a comic book reader, most people don't know who they are. The average person doesn't know who people like Witchblade, Savage Dragon, and such are anymore..It was different in the 90's because cartoons and such help give them attention but now they're more like cult followings. As surprising as it may sound to some, there's people who don't even know who Spawn is. Not everything is better than Marvel and DC though, I frequent other companies from time to time but I do always enjoy coming back to read characters like the Punisher, Deathstroke, Moon Knight, and such that you just don't see elsewhere

mrx1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By mrx1122

@manmadeofketchup: I have read some horror comics like nighmare on elm street and friday the 13th.i have also read some dr who comics, I recommend you give it a try if you haven't.

I have read some of spawn before and there are other comics I have also read too

Stormmagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame the Comic Code Authority.

Tacosheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Anime is the driving force in manga's popularity. I always wondered what it would look like if American comics got regular Animated adaptations and series. And I am not only referring to DC and Marvel, Imagine Adult Swim picking up "Chew" for a Quality Animated Adaptation? Or perhaps even Black Science? We see a boom in comics popularity due to the movies, but I also wonder how much we would see if we got the comic equivalent of "anime".

JamieLannister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By JamieLannister

@rukelnikovftw: The anime/manga villains do not win in the end of the series. Go read my post again.If you don't understand.They are comics where bad guys win. I can name alternate realities and What If's stories.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Anime is the driving force in manga's popularity. I always wondered what it would look like if American comics got regular Animated adaptations and series. And I am not only referring to DC and Marvel, Imagine Adult Swim picking up "Chew" for a Quality Animated Adaptation? Or perhaps even Black Science? We see a boom in comics popularity due to the movies, but I also wonder how much we would see if we got the comic equivalent of "anime".

Technically they did in the 90's-2000's, but I guess times changed and Marvel/DC just doesn't put it out anymore. Although not animated, Marvel is bringing it to live action which exposes non-comic readers to characters they may not have known before

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because we like them that way.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 560

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I vastly prefer comics due to them being in colour, I won't read anything in black and white as it isn't visually pleasing at all. The only exception to this rule was Death note as it's the best anime series i've ever watched and I just needed to have the full collection in Manga. I do have Dragon Ball Full Color which puts the anime to shame with how much better the story is told through it.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#112  Edited By Mrnoital

@guru_crack: firstly, way to reply to a 2 year old post

secondly, it was actually released 2003, I said death note only has 3 years of history (from 2003-2006 was it's full original run)

which is why I was having trouble with him comparing the Death Note run to long standing comics like Superman

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: O right didn't know it was old due to the fact that it was on the top page as someone made it more active. When I searched online it stated it was first released in 2004. But not going to argue as no expert on releases 2bh.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@guru_crack: I just looked it up on wikipedia, they list the original weekly run from 2003 to 2006, I'm no expert on it either, maybe they started releasing the collected versions of it in 2004, pretty sure those sell better than the weekly manga comics

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Possibly might be the weekly's. Do love Death Note though :D

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga sells more because for many people,it's a brand new experience and a new story.With comics everybody knows superman etc well enough that they aren't interested in picking up a comic book of him anymore.

Also it's probably because manga follows a linear plot that's easy to keep up with while comics have multiple retcons,spinoffs and character swaps

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw: The anime/manga villains do not win in the end of the series. Go read my post again.If you don't understand.They are comics where bad guys win. I can name alternate realities and What If's stories.

I gave an example where the bad guy won

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blame the liberals

Infinitias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably because in Asia and Europe Mangas are way more popular than stuff like DC and Marvel. I live in Ireland and I knew who Akira and various Mangas were before I even heard of DC and Marvel.

Here in Sweden Manga definitely is NOT more popular than American comic books, not even close. Everyone here knows who Batman, Spiderman, Superman is since they are 5 years old... But characters like Luffy and Sasuke is only known by very few. Mostly by who is considered 'emo kids'

JamieLannister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rukelnikovftw:

@jamielannister said:

I gave an example where the bad guy won

Death Note,Naruto, Bleach,etc..

I never seen a anime/manga where the bad guys win in the end.

1. Ichigo defeating Yhwach at the final arc of Bleach. Especially how Aizen was reduced to nothing for the final arc.

2. Death Note: Light can foresee and predict outcomes. Yet he failed to forsee that Near switched the Death Note for a fake one.

3. Code Geass R2: 1. Lelouch defeating Charles the most anti-climatic way possible. 2. Schnezial losing against Lelouch. It was established in the alternate realties that Schnezial is more cunning than Lelouch is. he lost due to the plot.

4. Naraku was manipulating events, and yet lost due to the plot.

etc...

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamielannister: Well those are the ones you watched/read, there are many others...

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamielannister: You need to read more then. Especially stay away from Shounen dribble.

KwasiD2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's because manga are usually consistent, w/ one giant story and art style. If you like it, you stick with it, and you stick with it; subscribing to Jump to keep up weekly/monthly, to read hundreds of chapters, and buy its anywhere from 10-60+ volumes.essentially buying the same story twice. On top of that, when you get Jump, you subscribe to the whole thing, getting chapters from a multitude of series, even if you don't read them, so if you don't enjoy a certain series, it still gets a cut of your money.

Comics are inconsistent with varying art styles, story writers, and general character ideas. Not to mention the fact that certain stories, you need to buy multiple issues raging across multiple character issues, side stories/tie-ins, and sometimes the main issues themselves. I am pretty sure ADoseofBuckley talked about this in one of his videos where he used an X-Men example of how you needed to buy like 5 separate series that continued for multiple issues to get the complete story. He also calculated it, and i'm pretty sure you guys know that it wasn't cheap. who wants to get into that?

Manga:

Story Arc 1: Chapters 1-25

Story Arc 2: Chapter 26-40

Mini Arc: 41-45

Story arc 3: 46-62

etc.

Comics:

Main Issue: 1

1st Character issue: 4

2nd Character issue: 1

3rd Character Issue: 1-4

Main Issue: 2

5th Character issue: 3-5

4th Character issue 10

Main Issue 3

(Insert team here) issue: 7

etc.

And then all of the character's issues to see the aftermath.

It also doesn't help that when people think of Manga, it's usually Shounen, but they know that there are a plethora of genre's that someone will like at least one thing, but with comics, all they ever know are DC/Marvel superhero stories.

JamieLannister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be 100 percent honest I hate anime and manga with a passion.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miss me with that weeb shit.

JamieLannister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable:

@jamielannister: You need to read more then. Especially stay away from Shounen dribble.

The funny thing is that to me its all dribble. I hate anime and manga the same reasons you hate Shounen.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though it all comics in the end; literally the same thing.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamielannister: Yet you've read/watched all of those you mentioned? That's a tad silly.

JamieLannister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: I have watched plenty of anime and manga's. I use to be "fan", but that was temporary (2-4 years). Was on and off with anime & manga during those times. I became a fan, because American Comics disappointed me. People were praising how it was "superior". Anime and Manga is noting but a waste of time and disappointment.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. American Comics are poorly written. They aren't consistent, and characters lack any character development. Dc and Marvel rehashes their ideas over and over again. Basically they are out of ideas.

2. Are boring texts to read for a price ranging from 3.99-4.99 each.

3. Sandman, Watchman, Lucifer,The Preacher,etc... are boring pseudo intellectual overrated nonsense.

4. reboots

5. Bad writers ruin established characters.

6. Dc & Marvel care about only money. They don't care about you. Not quality of the story.

7. Nothing changes...

1. subjective

2. you are okay in piracy of manga then ? also subjective on the text part

3. subjective

4. i can give you that one.

5. i can definitely give you that one

6. subjective to a certain degree.

7. yeah i can give you that one.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me know when any anime or manga characters become household names like Batman and Spider-Man or have billion dollar movie franchises. Fail thread.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

American comics are inferior because they're more famous and well known.

Makes sense.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga>Marvel/DC Comics all day boy

Chronicplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

The eternal debate continues.

TheOriginalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By TheOriginalOne

@valorknight said:

Mainly due to the lack of passion and multiple writers.

This is straight bullshit. Some sure but many write with passion and love of their favorite characters.

Goku, Naruto, and Luffy are all essentially household names, and each makes far more than the characters you named.

In terms of manga sales, sure. But if you add movies, cartoons, games - NOPE.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

American comics aren't more popular....

That said manga and comics are both good in different ways IMO.

TheOriginalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valorknight: DC writers are killing it though. It was only Marvel that went into the SJW agenda. Marvel is trying to correct themselves though.

TheOriginalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valorknight: It is absolutely fine if you don't like it, that still doesn't mean these hard working people are not putting effort and passion into creating that they like and believe in.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

Let me know when any anime or manga characters become household names like Batman and Spider-Man or have billion dollar movie franchises. Fail thread.

Goku, Naruto, and Luffy are all essentially household names, and each makes far more than the characters you named.

I personally have no idea who the last one is