Who's The Better Swordsmen? Raiden (Metal Gear Rising) vs Dante (Devil May Cry)

OneWithReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who's The Better Swordsmen? Raiden (Metal Gear Rising) vs Dante (Devil May Cry) (12 votes)

Raiden 33%
Dante 17%
DRAW or Can't say 25%
Just want to see poll results 25%

Think if these 2 fought.. Who's sword skill would come out on top?

Please stay tuned for more polls like this. This is my first.

P.S. I'll add pictures later.

• 
renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both incredible.

Jack was raised a child soldier. He was captain of his own unit by age 10, and blades were his specialty. When he remembered how to use a sword during MGS2, everything changed. Whereas he was characterized by constant failures and humiliation beforehand, once he used the sword, accepted his own identity and stopped trying to be Solid Snake, all the sudden he and Snake were able to steamroll through an entire small army of cybernetically enhanced super soldiers with automatic weapons and high frequency blades singlehandedly, with Raiden using his sword to easily deflect every bullet and attack aimed his way, and they weren't even out of breath by the end of it. Afterwards Raiden went on to battle his own mentor and father figure, Solidus Snake, who had more experience than Raiden, had the genes of Big Boss and was trained to perfection by the Patriots, and wore a Cyborg Ninja exoskeleton that made him multiple times stronger than Raiden, multiple times faster, and made him impervious to attack except for only one exposed portion; his spinal cord, which Raiden had to precisely sever in the middle of combat.

All that was while still human. Unlike Dante, Raiden's abilities are characterized by taking on situations out of his league and opponents who vastly outclass him physically, and still winning in the end. I honestly can't think of many instances of Dante even fighting somebody stronger than him, and not a single instance of him winning against somebody stronger. But that's Raiden's whole thing.

In MGS4, he received the cyborg upgrade and had improved agility, dexterity, senses, precision, and of course, even more experience. He was shown to be slightly less skilled than Vamp, but Vamp was a true master of martial arts in the classical wuxia-style, to the point where he blended martial arts with the supernatural, and for a long time people actually thought he was a literal vampire. He's shown doing crazy things like miraculously sitting atop a pool of water by meditating, and the whole shadow binding technique where he is able to basically hypnotize his opponent in the middle of combat through a combination of super-subtle body movements, voice inflections, and the light reflection off his knife, again, while fighting and dodging and deflecting bullets, and trick his opponent's brain into thinking they are paralyzed when nothing actually happened. Raiden was slightly less skilled than this guy in the typical martial arts/fighting skill sense, but still defeated him by fighting smarter. At the end of the game, Raiden had lost both of his arms, so he held off a squad of cybernetically enhanced FROG super soldiers by wielding his sword in his mouth and with his feet. Dante, for all his tricks and superhuman skill, does not have the capability to sword fight with his feet.

Then we get to Revengeance, and while Raiden was physically superior or even with everybody in MGS4, lowering the impressiveness of his accomplishments a bit, in Revengeance he's back to being the underdog. At the least, we can say that Bladewolf, Sundowner, Sam, and Armstrong were all superior physically, and Monsoon had his ability to split apart his body making him the Kryptonite to swordsmen. Raiden still beat all of them. He also received a gigantic skill upgrade, with Sam utterly curbstomping him in the beginning of the game (making Sam more skilled than Vamp, easily the best swordsman in the franchise up to this point), Raiden getting a physical upgrade but still admitting he'd no match for Monsoon (who Sam far surpasses), and then finally letting Jack the Ripper out, which allowed Raiden to defeat Sam, as well as Armstrong who also defeated Sam. I mean, Sam was a true master samurai, he's a very impressive opponent and Raiden beat him!

I know more about MGS than I do DMC. Admittedly it's been a couple years since I played through DMC. I'm interested to see what Dante supporters have to say in his defense, but at this moment, I'm leaning towards Raiden. I know Dante has amazing swordsmanship as proven against Vergil, Nero, and his father's two disciples whose names I can not remember (IIRC their swordsmanship was supposed to be on par with Sparda, but Dante basically laughed at them). @neongamewave What do you say? I'm going to refrain from voting at the moment.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Raiden.

Dante really depends on his stats and pretty much makes all of his moves up as he goes only using "some" skill against his brother Vergil who showed he was the superior swordsman.

Raiden on the other hand does have a certain set of skill and only dependent on stats after he could risk it.

If The two fought on equal footing with stats I'm confident Dante would put up a fight but it would end the same way his first fight with Vergil did.

OneWithReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OneWithReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers